Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 3, 2023 9:01 PM

Jun 2022
This is a fairly open and speculative debate. Has anime already reached its peak of creativity and quality? Is it at the peak right now? Or does it have yet to peak?

I believe that anime reached its peak of creativity around the turn of the century with a large number of series widely referred to as the best series and films to be made by the anime industry coming from around then. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, The Big O, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Outlaw Star, Princess Mononoke, Boogiepop Phantom, the list goes on. Quality was at its greatest quantity, rather than the modern justification that because there are more anime being made, there will be more good series (quantity does not always constitute quality). The foreseeable future seems to double down on the quantity side of things, so one can only expect it to be more of the same types of series repeated ad nauseam, season after season.

Any thoughts?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 7, 2023 10:21 AM

Oct 2017
Pages_Pages said:
This is a fairly open and speculative debate. Has anime already reached its peak of creativity and quality? Is it at the peak right now? Or does it have yet to peak?

I believe that anime reached its peak of creativity around the turn of the century with a large number of series widely referred to as the best series and films to be made by the anime industry coming from around then. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, The Big O, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Outlaw Star, Princess Mononoke, Boogiepop Phantom, the list goes on. Quality was at its greatest quantity, rather than the modern justification that because there are more anime being made, there will be more good series (quantity does not always constitute quality). The foreseeable future seems to double down on the quantity side of things, so one can only expect it to be more of the same types of series repeated ad nauseam, season after season.

Any thoughts?
I agree with your sentiments for the most part. I've been keeping up consistently with seasonal anime since 2015 while revisiting retro and reading some manga in the meantime. Even though I grew to become more selective with seasonals over time as a result of experiencing repetitive formulaic storytelling, there is indeed a noticeable pattern of "quantity over quality".

I am not sure when this exactly started. In my personal experience the descent in quality happened somewhere between 2010-2020. Formulaic storytelling is proven to work with modern day audiences and within that time period anime became mainstream. Not saying it didn't happen at all before this time period but more and more formulas of predecessors were copied. Take LN like Slayers for example which is a fun time action comedy in a fantasy setting, and then look at Konosuba which is very similar to Slayers and is a big success. More comparisons like this exist and so far I always gravitated towards the original series.
My point is, success is more easily attainable by sticking to what has proven to work and marketing is easier nowadays with bigger online communities which in my experience had a big surge somewhere between 2010-2020 thanks to anime like Attack on Titan which pulled more casual fans into the medium.

What I'd like to add to your take Page is that for the foreseeable future, there still are works worth looking forward to. Look at Pluto for example, a manga that was published in 2003 and is now getting an adaptation. Other example is Vinland Saga which was published in 2005 and in 2019 we got S1 which was good. I think at the very least we should look out for new anime adaptations that have a source material before 2010. I could be wrong about the time period, but to make things clear, this is my current approach based on my personal experience so far and I am willing to have my mind changed from a more seasoned veteran or someone who has done his research.
PhaethonnMar 7, 2023 10:25 AM
"In this world we are all transient guests!"
- Vampire Hunter D

MALgraph | Discord
Mar 7, 2023 5:40 PM

Jun 2022
This might be of interest to everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExwO1v_V-s
Mar 8, 2023 5:17 PM

May 2021
Though the majority of animes from those days (at least the biggest hits) were 2D cell animated (in my eyes, the best animation possible for anime) and considering that some of those animes were adult oriented, I still think that plotwise there was room for improvement, yet if I consider everything, most likely I will say that anime from that period were the best.

Even with that, I think there will be another period coming later that will surpass that one, I don't know when it is coming but I definitely think that anime hasn't peaked yet, I hope that I willn't be wrong in that.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Poll: Which Mecha series is best?

Pages_Pages - Aug 10, 2022

2 by ChrisDC »»
Nov 28, 2022 10:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.