Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Mar 17, 7:27 PM
Oct 2020
The animation and comedy are way better than the first season
Mar 20, 6:41 PM
Aug 2023
S2 ruined my interest in this series. I thought S1 was 9/10, and S2 is 7/10. S2 was not bad, but I didn't like it because it's like a side story or spinoff being forced upon me when I much rather be watching the main series.

The best analogy I can think of for my experience is like ordering a quality steak (S1) from a restaurant and getting a hamburger steak (S2) instead. Now the hamburger steak wasn't bad, but it's not what I ordered and was expecting. At first the restaurant keeps telling me my quality steak is on the way, just treat the hamburger steak as an appetizer, I trust them in good faith since the last time I was here their quality steak (S1) was excellent, and the first bites of this hamburger steak isn't that bad (Vueko's story). But then I'm half-way through the hamburger steak with no quality steak in sight still, and I'm starting to have doubts (Mitty Clone, Nanachi sells herself), I start wondering why parts of this hamburger steak is uncooked? 3/4 of the way through the hamburger steak (underdeveloped character Faputa shows up for revenge from the hole Reg blasted) I lose my patience, "where the fuck is my quality steak?!?" I wonder. I'm furious because at this point (with 3 eps remaining) I've eaten so much of this damn hamburger steak, which I didn't order, that my appetite for a quality steak has been ruined (realizing that what I was expecting is likely not coming, and even if it did it'll be too little too late to enjoy by that point). And the last remaining amount of hamburger steak (last 3 eps), even though it was good in some parts, I couldn't enjoy because I'm so dissatisfied and the uncooked parts (the illogical stuff and underdeveloped characters) starts making me puke up nearly everything (they killed Vueko and all the villagers, nearly everything introduced in S2 was for nothing). What little remained in my stomach was giving me indigestion (Faputa). Suffice to say my quality steak never came, and what worse the experience ruined my desire for quality steaks in the future and the memory of them from before (S1). I'm slightly fuller than before I started though, I didn't puke up everything (what little amount of development they did which complimented S1).

With that analogy out of the way, that's exactly how I felt. It can't be denied that S2 was seemingly a side story because S2 could be skipped with very little consequence to the overall story S1 setup. The only things I can think of that was affected is Riko's white whistle got worked on, it makes Reg power up by making his helmet and arms turn white, and they picked up another party member. But Faputa is just terrible, she was so under developed when her revenge plot came, and she doesn't have the presence to carry the scene unlike Bondrewd or Ozen has. In fact even Nanachi has way more presence than she does. What's worse is Vueko had so much development done on her character that she should have been the one to be added to the party instead of Faputa, and Faputa should have died instead; given her revenge was completed and like she actually did kill everybody when there's no reason to since the village was already doom to crumble to nothing after she started. I'm not even sure why the villagers vanish when leaving the village, it was kind of BS, but regardless that constraint didn't apply to Vueko. Anyways, by the time they did try to do any development on Faputa, it was too late for me to care, I quite enjoyed the monsters from the outside pummeling her, kind of BS she could take them on later after the villagers illogically started to feed themselves to her.

I think S2 would have been better off as a side story movie, they could have shortened it because much of the time seemed to be squandered showing the villagers being weird deformed creatures for just the sake of being weird. The background ones didn't even feel like they used to be human, and they weren't doing anything discernably logical in the weird stuff they were doing. The anime also should have taken Riko, Reg, and Nanachi out of it. They pretty much mostly did nothing of importance the whole season, Riko got diarrhea, Nanachi got sold and slept, and Reg acted like a big moron again. Like Reg agreed to Faputa's condition to help her without knowing what it was (just like Nanachi's request which turned out to be killing Mitty), then he causes the disaster to happen by letting Faputa in. And what does Reg do with the whole reason he did all that for (Faputa's arm), give it to random villagers to keep Riko safe while he fell unconscious. So the whole reason why did what he did was pointless, and he got Nanachi back by causing the destruction of the whole village and getting everybody killed. And Nanachi contributed to that by selling herself for the Mitty clone which is just one big shameless retread of the Mitty arc in S1, and the Mitty clone dies anyways by vanishing. All this actually tarnishes the characters of Riko, Reg, and Nanachi for me, it felt cheap and they were stupid.

I guess the bright side to all this is I don't care when S3 comes out, so I can wait. Again, S2 wasn't bad, but it's quite the accomplishment to somehow go past "underwhelming" and "disappointing" to "ruining my interest in the series" while not being bad. I think this is the first time I've encountered this.
Apr 13, 3:32 PM

Mar 2024
Time to watch something that doesn't make you cry every 5 minutes, sosu. 10/10
Apr 21, 4:25 PM
May 2023
The first season is just a masterpiece. No doubts. The second season lacks much that the first season has. No progress in the abbyss, a side story that doesn't pick interest... Still, it was watchable.
May 12, 12:22 PM
Sep 2021
This is..
art....
May 18, 4:10 PM
Jul 2021
the whole series worth watching even 10 times
Jul 29, 11:25 PM
Feb 2021
amazing, poignant, and a very powerful season of anime
Aug 26, 6:08 PM

Apr 2021
I didn't expect Eluko to leave so suddenly, I was so sad when everyone disappeared.
Wonderful, bizarre and cute 9/10
Aug 31, 10:55 AM

Aug 2019
Welp, this season was disappointing. There were a myriad of things I had problems with (bringing back Mitty, pace coming to a halt, author's weird fetishes, etc.) but my biggest issue were the dumb, illogical, character decisions and motivations.

Just to name a few:

I still enjoyed the season for the most part but it is a noticeable downgrade from season 1.
Sep 14, 4:18 PM

Dec 2022
This was still a respectable season because of Made in Abyss generally having competent world building and characterisation as a foundation, and obviously there's nothing to complain about with factors like the stellar animation or soundtrack either. But, this just makes it that more lamentable that it didn't quite live up to the first season, mainly because of the events of the last third of it (i.e., when it transitioned into being "Faputa's story"). Reg, in a moment that may as well have been out-of-character, happily sacrificed an entire village because Faputa guilt-tripped him to avenge Irumyuui—who Faputa didn't even know to begin with—and his remaining presence in the season amounted to bootlicking Faputa with successive apologies, or a few seconds of isolated action sequences with minimal narrative significance. Riko and Nanachi were also sidelined with some plot conveniences, such as the "Mitty" Belaf created, and had very little meaningful presence, although Riko's subtle influence on Vuelo's character through her determined spirit was something I appreciated. Considering that Mitty's role in the plot had already been covered in the first season, it also came across as retreading old ground for the sake of it when Nanachi had to let another Mitty go.

That the expedition squad eating Irumyuui's already doomed (and deceased, most of the time) children was recycled throughout as a pretext to justify Faputa's every impulsive moment of vindictiveness or slaughter got old very quick, considering the decision was a last resort to cure the sickened people and ensure their survival. Irumyuui and Vuelo's backstory was still emotionally compelling nonetheless, because the situation was both tragic and understandable no matter how you looked at it — making it all the more disappointing when Faputa was used to present it in such a lopsided fashion, especially given she wasn't a victim of the scenario to begin with, incarnation of wrath or not. Suppose it does come down to whether or not Faputa's desire for vengeance reflected the alleged subconscious resentment of Irumyuui's, but given how the Cradle of Desire was given to Irumyuui because she wasn't corrupted by "mature" or complex thoughts, I'm not sure to what extent that was the case. Perhaps if Faputa was Irumyuui, rather than her child, her motives would be more immediately understandable.

Otherwise, the Iruburu Village itself was a very engaging setting thanks to the unorthodox systems and characters that inhabited it, and the majority of episodes covered engaging material, so it's still a quality watch.

╔⏤═⏤╝ ╚⏤═⏤╗
Shaded Horizon

Sep 24, 5:55 AM
Nov 2023
such a masterpiece im glad they did layer 6 and the origins justice so excited for s3 in the far future
Sep 26, 3:04 PM
Oct 2023
Wow another amazing season. I will patiently wait for the next season. Altough i am really annoyed that Bondrewd played no part in this season when season 1 ended like that, but we know he is further down the Abyss(?). I had no clue the story would take a turn like this and be in one layer, but the story is still very well executed and shown on screen. See you guys in 4-5 years :')

Edit: I guess there is 3 movies and the third is actually what happens between season 1 & 2. Whish I had watched it before watching this season but I simply had no clue the movies weren't just the seasons.
YungGrifOct 1, 5:30 AM
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2022

262 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 24, 3:54 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2022

160 by HushPuppy170 »»
Sep 23, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xenocrisi - Jul 13, 2022

186 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2022

302 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 14, 2:18 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2022

248 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 13, 10:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.