Forums
New
Aug 26, 2022 10:54 AM

Nov 2020
I barely know that licence so I don't know the watch order

Aug 26, 2022 11:04 AM

Jan 2017
Part I to VI.
There is a whole bunch of Movies/Specials/Spin-Off , but since the series is episodic anyway , you can watch them when you want.
Most people started with the Cagliostro no Shiro Movie of Miyazaki.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Aug 26, 2022 1:27 PM

Mar 2021
You can watch it in order or just pick a part that caught your attention and start with that.
You can also start with the movies/specials if you want.

Aug 26, 2022 1:43 PM

May 2007
When I first started watching Lupin (before Part 6 came out), I just watched in chronological order and that seemed fine. I skipped some things tho. I didn’t watch every special and movie and I didn’t watch every single episode of Part II.
Aug 26, 2022 2:06 PM
Jun 2019
Canon doesn't exist in Lupin III most of the time so you can start almost anywhere and then move on to almost anything. The only places I'd say to avoid starting at is the Return of Pycal OVA since that is a direct sequel, Green vs. Red which basically depends on your previous knowledge of Lupin III to enjoy it, Is Lupin Still Burning? which has time travel to previous episodes and Part 6 Jidai which is a special focused on Jigen made for the retirement of his voice actor. Parts 5 and 6 have references to things before but can be enjoyed without knowing them.

Some starting points are:
-Castle of Cagliostro (It takes place later in Lupin's career according to Miyazaki so I'd recommend watching a little bit of Lupin before it.)

-Part 1 (I started here and it's the best place to start in my opinion. It's my favorite introduction to the characters out of the whole franchise. To start I would say watch part 1 and then Cagliostro then whatever you want.)

-Part 2 (Very long and varies a lot in quality but has a lot of Lupin III's best stories.)

Lupin III: The First (I found this movie very generic for Lupin III but most people seem to like it a lot. 3D animated and introduced a fair amount of people to Lupin III.)

-The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (A more adult spin-off than other Lupin III series but it's very good. If you try to force a timeline out of Lupin III parts then this is first. If you start here just know that it's a bit different than other Lupin III media.)

-Part 4 (The first modern numbered part. It works as a introduction but is on the more fantastical side of the franchise. Not my favorite but I wouldn't stop anyone from starting here.)

-Part 5 (A bit of a fan favorite but works best with previous knowledge of the franchise. The end has a few characters from previous entries but nothing important. You can start here but a few moments may not be as impactful as they could be if you saved it for later.)

-Part 6 (Most people seem to be let down by Part 6. I still haven't gotten around to finishing it. It has a character from Part 5 in it but they aren't that important.)

-Episode 0: First Contact (The most overt Lupin origin story and maybe my least favorite. It's a very standard Lupin III story but that could make it a good place to start. A lot of people recommend this to start with so don't let my opinion stop you.)

-The Koike "Trilogy" (A movie series in progress that is a spin-off of The Woman Callled Fujiko Mine though it's best to think of it as it's own thing. More adult like The Woman Called Fujiko Mine but with each movie focusing on a different character. It's a fine place to start as long as you keep in mind it's somewhat different than other Lupin III stories. There are 3 so far but it's still ongoing. Oh and maybe also watch Mystery of Mamo before Jigen's Gravestone.)

-Mystery of Mamo (The best Lupin movie to some people. It gets pretty weird but it's a fun time. I don't love it as much as other people so I'd say if this turns you off of Lupin III know that most Lupin III stuff isn't as crazy as this.)

-Islands of Assassins/Walther P-38 (This is a personal recommendation. If you want a darker Lupin III story but not one as adult as TWCFM or the Koike movies then this is your best bet in my opinion.)

-Lupin III vs. Detective Conan (If you want to get into Detective Conan at the same time then you can multitask by starting here.)

There are a lot of Lupin III series, movies, tv specials and OVAS. If you are stupid like me you can watch all of it in a row but Lupin III is probably best experienced watching whatever when you feel like it. Don't worry too much about watch order (except for what I said at the beginning) and just watch what seems interesting to you. That's why this mostly was a guide on how to start, that is MUCH more important in my opinion.

But if I had to answer your question I would say that you could watch everything in release order like I did. It seemed to work out fine for me I guess.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 23 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 18, 2010

37 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 5, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 20 Discussion

Fronzel - Sep 4, 2012

15 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 5, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 16 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 4, 2010

17 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 15 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Apr 22, 2012

27 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 14 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 2, 2010

41 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.