Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2018 8:00 AM

Mar 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
You know, I actually did not expect that twist. But will Kaiji really do it for him? If he does, then I am sure he will nail it. Because adding the weight of indirectly taking Kazuya's life to Kaiji's list of traumas would be way too cruel.

Apr 25, 2018 3:42 AM

Jun 2016
I think these last three chapters have solidified Kazuya as my favorite Kaiji villain. I do love Muraoka but he has so much more depth! The line "don't just... tell me the truth like that!" in chapter 147 crushed me. We've finally seen Kazuya come around and embrace the fact that Kaiji has a genuine good nature, genuine care for others. The reason why he's dangling right now is because he's been set up in life to not trust a soul, so when he assumed Kaiji was lying to him based on his world view and life experience, when he rejected the notion someone could care about him as a person rather than be out for his money, that was the nail in his coffin and something he's been forced to realize. He told you the truth because he doesn't want you to die! it was out of care for you Kazuya! And he's finally realized that. This gamble has made him take his first real step into a genuine experience, as has it showed him how good the human heart can truly be. I always found Fukumoto's portrayal of the worst side and the best side of human beings to be one of his greatest skills.

Not only that but it's shown why Kaiji is my husbando for life. He is a gambling junkie, he is human trash, but what else is evident is he is the ultimate survivor and he has a heart of gold. Hes gar, but weak, he's lovable and despicable, he's what we should strive not to be, yet an inspiration in his ethics and courage and compassion and perseverance, and all of it comes together to make him amazingly human.

Despite some contrivances in how One Poker was as a game, the dynamic between Kaiji and Kazuya, as with Kazuya's development and the themes of finding meaning on both extremes of the poverty line, as with how we got the best supports we've seen in Kaiji yet, and perhaps how part 5 is the most hopeful part with all the good natured acts not coming back to bite anyone and instead save them as Kazuya dangles for his life doing the opposite, it's amazing and it makes this one of my favorite parts, possibly my favorite.
Apr 25, 2018 4:42 AM

Mar 2017
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
(...) Kazuya as my favorite Kaiji villain. (...) Kaiji is my husbando for life. (...) it makes this one of my favorite parts, possibly my favorite.

I can't find a single word in your post that I don't wholeheartedly agree with! I'd like to add that Kazuya is such an amazing villain also because we got to know him more and more over such a long period of time. If you think about it, he seemed like a standard, evil, rich dick at first in part 3, then we got to know his entire life philosophy in part 4, and right now he undergoes some huge character development in part 5. He's probably the second most important character after Kaiji.

As for Kaiji being best husbando... let's just say this franchise might have awakened a preference for sharp-angled men in me that I never knew I had. And as you say, Kaiji is just really damn human, and that's what makes him so incredibly relatable and lovable.

I liked your posts in earlier threads, too, btw. It's fun knowing that there's some other people out there also clenching their buttcheeks while eagerly reading through the latest Kaiji chapters! :D
Apr 25, 2018 5:06 AM

Jun 2016
cptlee39 said:

I'd like to add that Kazuya is such an amazing villain also because we got to know him more and more over such a long period of time. If you think about it, he seemed like a standard, evil, rich dick at first in part 3, then we got to know his entire life philosophy in part 4, and right now he undergoes some huge character development in part 5. He's probably the second most important character after Kaiji.

That's a great way to say it. I hadn't thought about him in the broad picture, but each part laid the foundation for this awesome exploration and development. He did start out like a typical rich brat, part 4 opened us up to some casual chats revealing his more human side with his funny antics with Kaiji and showed his philosophies, and part 5 has pushed him to the brink and made him challenge his initial beliefs. You've awakened another level of appreciation I have for this man.

I liked your posts in earlier threads, too, btw. It's fun knowing that there's some other people out there also clenching their buttcheeks while eagerly reading through the latest Kaiji chapters! :D

I wouldn't miss them for the world! Kaiji is fantastic. ^_^
Dec 15, 2022 5:23 PM

Oct 2016
Wait, those were prescription glasses all along?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji: One Poker-hen Chapter 52 Discussion

crocodileman94 - Mar 5, 2018

1 by Farm-key »»
Oct 30, 2023 5:36 PM

Poll: » Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji: One Poker-hen Chapter 2 Discussion

An_amazing_world - Dec 9, 2015

1 by Azraiii »»
Jun 12, 2022 7:08 PM

Poll: » Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji: One Poker-hen Chapter 1 Discussion

An_amazing_world - Dec 5, 2015

1 by WitchFromMercury »»
May 19, 2022 9:47 AM

Poll: » Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji: One Poker-hen Chapter 146 Discussion

Leigh39 - Apr 17, 2018

2 by Satou0Kun »»
May 13, 2022 6:36 AM

Poll: » Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji: One Poker-hen Chapter 116 Discussion

Leigh39 - Mar 31, 2018

1 by Satou0Kun »»
May 13, 2022 4:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.