Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Don't not compare the new legend of the galactic heroes to the OVA; compare it to the novels

New
Apr 1, 2018 6:11 PM
Nov 2014
It is ok for an anime adaptations to be different and not ok to expect an adaption to be identical to a previous adaptation. I think it is more fair to compare the new adaption to the novels, the actual source material.
Apr 1, 2018 10:40 PM

Feb 2018
I agree! It makes complete sense for a different interpretation of something to actually be different in some ways lol. The director seems very enthusiastic about the source material as well :)

I met the devil and god
and couldn't tell them apart.
Apr 1, 2018 11:15 PM

Oct 2016
I agree, the new opening by Hiroyuki Sawano has me so hyped now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VghhlTFL0Xw

The visuals are amazing and I'm hoping this series gains traction!

ClickB8Apr 1, 2018 11:37 PM
"If this were a 3rd rate TV anime, the main protagonist can come back to life at the producers convenience" - Commander Dusty Attenborough
Apr 2, 2018 3:59 AM

Sep 2013
ClickB8 said:
I agree, the new opening by Hiroyuki Sawano has me so hyped now!

The visuals are amazing and I'm hoping this series gains traction!

Yep, the opening is very nice. Dare I say better than the openings in the original anime.
Apr 2, 2018 4:15 AM
Mar 2015
Bulmakur said:
It is ok for an anime adaptations to be different and not ok to expect an adaption to be identical to a previous adaptation. I think it is more fair to compare the new adaption to the novels, the actual source material.

The original was perfect. Why reamake perfection?
Apr 2, 2018 6:37 AM

Oct 2009
That doesn't make much sense given that the OVA was very directly based off of the novels, there are few changes from the one to the other. The few changes made seem clearly to be refinments such as how "Westterland" was handled, the anime was clearly much better than the novel.
There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
Apr 2, 2018 6:51 AM
Aug 2017
I don’t think the opening is better than the original OVA. The animation and meaning is clearly much better, but the music isn’t really fitting if the Legend, unlike Lisa’s brilliant classical opera. It’s really up to whether you prefer visuals or music in which is better. Also, of course, we are going to compare the original to this. They are adapting the same material after all, so it’s only logical that they be compared.
Apr 2, 2018 7:18 AM

Jun 2015
I think it is unavoidable that this anime will get compared to the original. The original was after all also based on the novels.

So that means for newcomers like me, I'll be reading complaints bitching about this anime nonstop throughout its course. People always find something to complain about.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Apr 2, 2018 9:38 AM

Oct 2016
Lohengram said:
That doesn't make much sense given that the OVA was very directly based off of the novels, there are few changes from the one to the other. The few changes made seem clearly to be refinments such as how "Westterland" was handled, the anime was clearly much better than the novel.

Not quite, after reading the novels (the ones so far traslated) there are a few noticeable differences between those and the OVA.

One example is my favourite character Dusty Attenborough gets more screen time than he really should. In the novel he really doesn't come into play until after the disastrous events at the end of the first novel. In the OVA he is shown to be the one talking to Yang about his rejected proposals and subsequently taking over as gunnery officer and navigation officer in the heat of the battle. In the book it's Lao/Rao (who later becomes Dusty's adjutant in the OVA) who is in that role.
"If this were a 3rd rate TV anime, the main protagonist can come back to life at the producers convenience" - Commander Dusty Attenborough
Apr 2, 2018 12:54 PM

Oct 2009
ClickB8 said:
Lohengram said:

Not quite, after reading the novels (the ones so far traslated) there are a few noticeable differences between those and the OVA.

One example is my favourite character Dusty Attenborough gets more screen time than he really should. In the novel he really doesn't come into play until after the disastrous events at the end of the first novel. In the OVA he is shown to be the one talking to Yang about his rejected proposals and subsequently taking over as gunnery officer and navigation officer in the heat of the battle. In the book it's Lao/Rao (who later becomes Dusty's adjutant in the OVA) who is in that role.

Yes there are a few and that's one but I wouldn't say it's that important. The reason they do that I think is that you use him as someone to talk to to give Yang someone to talk to so he can explain things to the reader/viewer. As I wrote there are a few refinements in the anime OVA compared to the books. Making Dusty the talk to guy makes more sense than having a new guy Lao who just disappears after that scene. They join things up more i.e. refine them in the anime. I think it'd be a hell of a stretch to suggest this is a significant difference between the two though.
There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
Apr 2, 2018 4:21 PM

Feb 2010
The novels are my main comparison point, and it still doesn't hold up well judging by episode one. It does in no way diminish the poor use of CGI, the lackluster character designs and lack of strategical focus.
Apr 3, 2018 5:33 AM

Nov 2015
DarkChaplain said:
The novels are my main comparison point, and it still doesn't hold up well judging by episode one. It does in no way diminish the poor use of CGI, the lackluster character designs and lack of strategical focus.

FMA: brotherhood had worst CGI than this. And Ed's and Roy'a face was drawn so fat compared to the original FMA.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 3, 2018 6:17 AM

Feb 2010
FMA:B aired 10 years ago and didn't rely on CGI for 95% of what was shown on screen. The broader faces were never an issue for me, especially since it was close to the manga anyway.

I still like the original FMA, and the way they wrote the anime original second half was actually pretty clever, but overall Brotherhood was the better adaptation, despite its rushed first ~7 episodes that covered the same ground of the first ~30 episodes of the original, minus filler content. Not sure what any of that has to do with this LotGH adaptation, however.
Apr 3, 2018 7:23 AM

Sep 2013
Ok, I won't not...
Apr 3, 2018 2:44 PM

Nov 2013
Well, my biggest complaint (for now) is the character design. The characters look way to young and what's more important, really more generic than in the OVA.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 3, 2018 6:48 PM

Sep 2015
there's no real reason to compare it to any of them although it's fine if you do. by itself it's still mediocre
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Apr 3, 2018 11:29 PM

Nov 2013
LaLeLuLiLo said:
there's no real reason to compare it to any of them although it's fine if you do. by itself it's still mediocre

There's no reason not to compare two adaptations of same source material though.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 4, 2018 1:52 AM

Jul 2012
DarkChaplain said:

Literally the first episode, and already did better than the first episode of the OVAs as a "standalone" (since you are all sooo eager to comparr the quality as a whole having only this as a point of reference).

They had more action and only shown one side. I would wait to see the other side in action to even claim such statements about the presentation.

God, I wish this was a double lenght episode with both sodes, so people wouldn't be shitposting from day one about how did the anime not get every single thing in the first 20 minutes of content...
Apr 4, 2018 2:13 AM
Nov 2014
Danpmss said:
DarkChaplain said:

Literally the first episode, and already did better than the first episode of the OVAs as a "standalone" (since you are all sooo eager to comparr the quality as a whole having only this as a point of reference).

They had more action and only shown one side. I would wait to see the other side in action to even claim such statements about the presentation.

God, I wish this was a double lenght episode with both sodes, so people wouldn't be shitposting from day one about how did the anime not get every single thing in the first 20 minutes of content...

Agreed bro. They so quick to hit that 0 rating like damn, give it a chance. This had a under 7 rating before the episode even aired
Jun 12, 2021 3:37 AM
Nov 2019
Bangalo said:

What are the difference between two?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.