Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 2, 2009 4:15 PM

Apr 2008
Had a little time on my hands and have a slightly difficult friend that only started to watch Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, she seemed to be a little behind in some of the background of Masaki lineage so just for the fun of it, wrote up a list of what to watch. Also, figured to post this in a topic just in case anyone else might need it.

My preferred chronological order of Tenchi Muyo!:

The first series consisted of the original Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVAs. In this series Masaki had unique powers unlike the more familiar second series, Tenchi Universe. Roughly this series is 20 episode.

Ryo-Ohki OVA 1 consists of episodes 1 through 6.
Movie - Tenchi Muyo! Daughter of Darkness (I placed this here because it takes place after the first OVA, however it seems to ingore the second and third OVA.)
Episode 7 is a special known as The Night Before hte Carnival
Ryo-Ohki OVA 2 consists of episodes 8 through 13 including bonus episode 13.5.
Ryo-Ohki OVA 3 consists of episodes 14 through 19
Episode 20 is a special.

The later series which most people is more common with is Tenchi Universe. Unlike the OVAs Masaka Tenshi doesn't have any special Jurai powers yet his power comes from the Sword Tenchi.

This alternate telling of the story consists in order of:
Season - Tenchi Universe
Movie - Tenchi Muyo! in Love (takes place after Tenchi Universe)
Movie - Tenchi Forever! (also known as Tenchi Muyo! in Love 2)
Season - Tenchi in Tokyo - This could take place after Tenchi Universe (although entirely different story from the OVAs and the previous season)
Season - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - This takes place in the Tenchi universe, however has a separate story line with different characters, loosely based on the previous original characters of the season Tenchi Universe.

Which than brings you to the currently airing series, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari. Most people would consider this to be a spin-off of the Ryo-Ohki OVAs.

Edit: I forgot to include Mahou Shoujo Pretty Sammy and Mahou Shoujo Pretty Sammy TV, this OVA and season holds no connection other than the characters between Ryo-Ohki OVAs and Tenchi Universe

Hopefully this would help most people who haven't yet picked up this series -- shame on you :-p -- and with this you can fully enjoy the amazing series of Tenchi Muyo. Just try to keep in mind that the OVAs hold no relation what-so-ever to the later series, even though Ryo-Ohki OVA 3 was produced at a later date.
LvhinaSep 2, 2009 4:23 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 2, 2010 12:42 AM

Sep 2008
I know this is a really late reply to a dead topic but, oh well..

The official order that I found online is

Ryo-ohki OVA continuity:
OVA series 1
ep 7 The night before the Carnival
OVA series 2
Mihoshi Special
OVA series 3
Series 3 bonus episode
Tenchi Muyo GXP (several references are made to events in series 3 and series 3 makes a couple of references to events in GXP just to tie the two together)
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (maybe. references are made to OVA series 3 but nothing definite)

Tenchi universe continuity:
Tenchi Muyo! TV (Tenchi Universe)
Tenchi the Movie: Tenchi Muyo! in Love (even though it doesn't seem like it, the movies are part of the universe set)
Tenchi the Movie 2: Daughter of Darkness
Tenchi the Movie 3: Tenchi Forever

Tenchi in Tokyo, Pretty Sammy, Magical Project S, and Sasami Magical Girls Club are all separate continuities with no relations.

Manga Continuity:
OVA series 1
Ep 7
OVA series 2
Mihoshi special
Tenchi Muyo manga
Shin Tenchi Muyo manga
(The time period, among other things, in OVA series 3 was specifically written to block out the manga so it couldn't match up with the anime anymore)

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Whats your favorite Tenchi Muyo character?

shohazama - Sep 9, 2007

19 by WestHamOtaku »»
May 31, 2011 8:22 PM

Poll: » Favorite Tenchi movie?

Where0Meets15 - Sep 9, 2007

9 by mememo »»
May 28, 2009 8:24 AM

Poll: » The best Tenchi related series?

Where0Meets15 - Sep 9, 2007

15 by mememo »»
May 28, 2009 8:13 AM

» 4th OVA?

DeimosFormido - Nov 3, 2008

8 by torgon02 »»
May 17, 2009 12:27 AM

» Tenchi 101 Facts

Where0Meets15 - Sep 11, 2007

4 by Altiryoko »»
Apr 24, 2009 10:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.