Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 23, 2009 4:18 PM

Jun 2009
Today’s review is on the movie The Locker also known as Shibuya Kaidan .
This movie starts out with our cast at a campsite having a good time drinking and telling stories of the horror nature . When it first began I thought it was going to be a slasher type horror which turned me off a little bit but as it progressed it got a bit better .
This is your typical Japanese horror movie “Dead girl with long black hair trying to kill you genre “ I really don’t have anything to complain about when it comes to acting and production but the story really never went anywhere I sat through 2 hrs. 23 mins of movie and never found out the real reason behind the senseless killing or even why she started doing it to them to being with .
Maybe this movie will have another sequel and clear some of this up for me but I highly doubt it will since it was made back in 05.
Anywho back to the main story of part one of Shibuya Kaidan.
As our student are having a good time Rieka hears the sound of a baby crying so she runs to the others that think she is joking since they have been telling stories after this they joke abit more and call it a night.
After this we see them coming back from the trip and stopping a by coin operated locker in where else but Shibuya to pick put their text books from collage.
After the guys and girls part ways the girls notice dirty prints on the bags they had put in the locker.
We go back to the guys in the van headed to wherever while joking around Akihiko hears the baby crying like Rieka did before although he does not say anything as he leans up talking to the others we see a baby’s hand prints on the cart window just like we saw on the girls book bags.
After a scene with Rieka and the student she’s tutoring we see Rieka and two of the guys talking about how they haven’t heard from Ai and Akihiko since the trip after Rieka finds out about Akihito she decides to go to Ai’s apartment to check and see if she’s there.
What she finds isn’t what she expected we see Akihito by the bed having what looks like a panic attack then suddenly dies in front of her.
Next Rieka is being questioned by the police since she found him they come up with the theory that Ai and Akihiko were doing drugs but of course this isn’t it.
I’ll skip abit so I don’t do a complete play by play of it.
We meet Ayano the girl Rieka I tutoring she’ll have a bigger role in part two of the movie.
Next day Rieka and Yuna go on a shopping spree to try to get things of their minds as they try on clothes and such they tease each other Yuna gets in the booth as she starts to change clothes she disappears in thin air when Rieka goes to check on her all she sees is a bloody cloth with a crying baby underneath .
She panics and runs out of the store.
Skip afew more interesting scenes and a death of another friend.
We see a what seems to be drunk Ai luring a man to the accursed locker here is where we find out the locker is the cause of the killings.
When this is over we go to the hospital and find out Ai is there.
While there the doctor over seeing Ai tells the two remaining students about another case similar to Ai’s after this discovery the two talk about what they are going to do and if they are next on the list to die.
Skip abit more and Rieka and the remaining friend go to see Ai at the hospital they see her standing oddly at the window when they get to her room they find out she hung herself. Rieka notices a key by her feet it’s the key to the number nine Shibuya locker.
As our two try to cope they hear a sound when they look around they see the same bloody cloth and baby as before the two run away trying to get away from whatever they saw they decide to go the locker on Shibuya now we are at the final 15 mins of the movie
Since I don’t want to ruin the ending I’ll stop here.
Now we move on to the second part of the
At the start of this film you get to see something tragic happen to a couple of old friends from the first part.
And after the hospital scene we see yet again the dreaded key is passed on.
In this movie we have Ayano from the first part as our main character in this movie.
After talking to the nurse Ayano gets a call from Yosuke played by Kenichi Matsuyama (one of my fave actors also known as L in Deathnote) asking her if she wants to go out.
After a brief run in with some female jocks it cuts to the doctor and nurse from part one discussing the unexplained deaths next we see Ayano at home looking at the key so she decides to go look for the locker the key goes to it takes her awhile but she finally finds the horrid thing. She hesitates to open it and when she does she finds it empty when she turns around she sees two teenage girls standing behind her.
They are there to give a gift to the locker because of the rumor of the Shibuya Locker.
If you confess your love and give a gift to the 009 locker your dream love will come true as we all know this is far from the truth.
After Ayano leaves the lockers she starts to hear the crying of a baby just like the other before her.
After a few other scenes we catch up with Yosuke and Shiori, Ayano’s friends.
Here we find out that Yosuke had a crush on Ayano and Shiori hints she likes Yosuke but of coarse he doesn’t notice it.
A good ole fashioned blind love triangle since is far as I can tell Ayano doesn’t feel the same for Yosuke as he does her.
After that cute scene we see one of the girls at the locker before telling Ayano that the other girl had died and something weird has been happening to her after she sees something by Ayano she runs off.
Fast Forward about 15 mins and we get to Ayano talking to Miss Megumi about the locker then the doctor steps in and informs Megumi about another death this time it’s one of the girls from earlier.
Ayano tells the doctor about the locker and we head to the next scene which takes place at a karaoke bar where Ayano, Yosuke and Shiori are.
As Yosuke and Shiori enjoy themselves all Ayano can hear is the baby crying and she starts to see the girl with the long hair she can’t take anymore so she runs outside and Yosuke follows her when he does find her he tells her he has something for her.
Want to guess where he takes her?
YOU GOT IT!
The locker where he has placed her birthday present.
She is in such shock when he tries to hand her the gift she just yells at him telling him to never use the locker again then she runs off.
Cleary upset Yosuke hit’s the locker and sits down beside it sulking then Shiori walks up to comfort him.
Next we see the doctor trying to tell the police they theory about the locker but of course they don’t give him the time of day.
We see Yosuke walking Shiori home they talk abit while waiting for the elevator Yosuke is about to tell Shiori something but before he can get it out he is pushed in the elevator the doors shut and he can’t get out.
When Shiori is able to make to where it stops all that’s left is the present that he got for Ayano.
Lets do a little scene skipping to where Shiori tells Ayano what happened to poor Yosuke as the two yell at each other Shiori falls to the ground next we see the girl pulling her under the bed and she disappears.
Earlier Miss Megumi and the doctor went to check out the locker and made the mistake of opening it now they are back at the office and something strange happens to Megumi and this makes the doctor go crazy he destroys the room and heads to the locker.
Here we see the doctor about to bash the locker with a golf club but before he can Ayano stops him.
And this is where I stop there’s about 15 min of the movie left so to find out how it ends please watch the movie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alright here comes my thoughts.

The on location filming is always a big plus from me.
I liked most of the actors and the second part had my fave actor so double plus to that.
For a “Dead girl with long black hair trying to kill you “ movie it was ok.
The movie seemed low budget but was still done nicely.
Dislikes
The story since this is a two part film I thought everything would be cleared up at the end but no it wasn’t
It left me with more questions then when I started which really bothered me most J-Horror movies I watch at least give me some kind of ending not this one thought .
Other than that all I can complain about was the shaky camera work and the fact that it wasn’t that scary of a “Horror” movie but I’ve seen worse much much worse at lease this movie made up what flaws it had with a little eye candy (Scenery included).

My Ratings
Story: 3 out of 5.
Like I said before it just didn’t satisfy me and had no real ending to me.

Price: 4 out of 5.
$15.99 on Amazon.com Definitely at renter Only two reasons I would buy it it is cause Kenichi is in at and this dvd was published by the no longer Geneon / Pioneer and could become a collectors item to.

Overall: 3 1/2 out of 5
This isn’t a horrid movie as some say It’s just not very good and it hope they make another part and end the story.

Other Info

Director: Kei Horie Writer: Osamu Fukutani Producer: Issei Shibata

Rated PG-13 for violent content, language.
Genre: | Horror | Thriller
Studio: Geneon [Pioneer]
DVD Release Date: September 13, 2005

Run Time: 143 minutes

Lemme know if you find this helpful!
I Run In Triangles Cause Circles Are For Squares!!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Visitor Q Review.

TheLaughingWoman - Jun 23, 2009

1 by Revolution666 »»
Mar 13, 2013 11:59 PM

» Fantastic Planet Mini Review.

0 by TheLaughingWoman »»
Jun 23, 2009 4:23 PM

» NANA Movie Review.

0 by TheLaughingWoman »»
Jun 23, 2009 4:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.