Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2014 4:57 AM

Aug 2011
Hayao Miyazaki, co-founder of Studio Ghibli and director of such works as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, recently spoke his opinion on the anime industry, and it was pretty negative. He touched a lot on how the otaku creating most shows don't understand how real people function, which is why the characters in most anime are so poorly written and one-dimensional. I'll post a link to an article about it in another comment- I'd do it here but I'm on mobile (forgive me).

Anyway, being such a big fan of anime, I feel almost slighted by this type of claim. But on the other hand, I wholeheartedly agree. Anime does suck for the most part. How many shows come out a season, and what, anywhere from one to five of them are even worth talking about? When the bulk of anime resembles trash like Coppelion, can I really argue with him? I think the only reason it bothers me that he said it is that he actually has a western fanbase. Cinephiles that don't know a thing about Japanimation know and respect Miyazaki. So he's perpetuating the Western dismissal of anime as a medium in his address. If someone talented but less known had said it, it would've been fine. But Miyazaki is only going to make things worse, I think.

It does make me wonder how much of a hand he had in Ghibli creating its first television show though. Hopefully Goro can pull that off.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 15, 2014 4:58 AM

Aug 2011
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131872-Hayao-Miyazaki-Anime-Suffers-Because-the-Industry-is-Full-of-Otaku

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.