Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2013 11:07 PM

Jan 2011
Okay, been awhile I think.

If you're lucky to have (bought) a bento box from somewhere or other, why not put it to use? First off, a copy/paste from Wikipedia to fill in some space.

Etymology

"Bento" originates from the Southern Song Dynasty slang term 便當 (pinyin: biàndāng), meaning "convenient" or "convenience." When imported to Japan, it was written with the ateji 便道, 辨道, and 辨當.[2] In shinjitai, 辨當 is written as 弁当.

In the 20th century, the term was imported to modern Mandarin, rendered as 便當, where it retains its older meaning of "convenient" and also refers to bento in mainland China and generic boxed lunches in Taiwan.

The box itself has little seperate compartments for each individual food item.

A nice looking bento has plenty of color to it, has a variety of different tastes, and is pretty balanced in nutrition. So tonight I tried doing something with beef, fish, stir fried veggies, (imitation) crab, and some rice.

I know they make silicone food pockets to seperate different dishes, but you can use cupcake inserts to save some money.

Although kinda simple looking it still can be pretty impressing. I seperated the fried foods for the upper tier box, while the lower consists of the seafood and rice balls (notice the hearts for Valentines day. Cookie cutter for 50 cents.) It consists of each of veggies, proteins, and rice, and portioned out to a balanced meal.

I'm actually planning on buying (supposedly) the same Jubako box that Tsumugi used in K-On! soon, though it's about 45 bucks total with a month waiting time for it to come in. But those are the boxes that are brought to picnics and shared among a group of people since they usually consist of large amounts of foods in each box. Like, think to that episode of Shuffle! where Nerine made omelettes for Rin..... Yeah, that kind of box.
RamenSoup43Jan 19, 2013 11:14 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.