Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 13, 2012 10:35 AM

Jan 2011
Keeping it short this week. Might have something later on when I'm not watching MLP with my neice... heheh... Damn it's funny that I got her addicted to that show...

Gourmet butter. Like a regular log of butter, only jazzed up by different flavor. It's not as complicated as the usual 3 dollar price jump tells you. Same goes with those dipping oils you see at some fancy restaurant. Hand-made but sometimes they sell it in a 6 oz bottle for about 50% more. It does have to do with the price of ingredients, but the labor isn't as painstaking as it seems.

I've seen it on some spreads, like something simple as your Golden Corral spread for your yeast rolls, to Carabba's infused olive oil dip for your bread.

Really, there is (almost) no wrong combination for infused butters or oils. Whatever your favorite spices are can go in. Wasabi and soy sauce in oil? Garlic and onion butter? Yeah, sure why not? There's just a few things to go through before doing so though.

With butter, you want it softened rather than melted. If you plan on doing so, leave your butter out in room temperature overnight. Microwaving or using other means of heat can cause melting rather than softening. I mean, unless you have steamed lobster lying around.The easiest method of making your infused butter is by throwing your ingredients into a food processor and whipping everything up. Pulse to just the right texture.

Alternatively, you can do it by hand, which is more controlled but also more time consuming. Flatten your softened butter on a cutting board or something non-stick, spreading it, but not smearing it (Have a benchscraper on you to lift your butter.) Place your ingredients inside the butter sheet you just made and fold it over. Using your chef's knife, cut into slices, then combine once again. Repeat until desired combined texture is reached.

Place your combined butter in either a container for later use, in molds to use for presentations (those silicone ice trays that do small ice discs work suprisingly well) or roll into a log with some plastic wrap.

The first one I ever did before when I took Principles I in school years ago was garlic and red/green peppers. Wasn't bad, even though I kinda sucked with a knife at that time.

Infused oils are easier. Rather than processing, all you need is a bottle, ingredients, and time. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme? If it works for you.

Either mince your ingredients and stir with your oil, or just throw the entire sprigs of whatever in your oil, heat on very low heat for a an hour or so, then strain. You'll have your oil only as well as the flavors of your ingredients.

This is just something more on the fun and creative side of cooking you can try out. It always makes a great addition to any dish or appitizer.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.