Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2008 11:36 PM

Aug 2008
Anyone who has seen the anime of Revolutionary Girl Utena (perhaps more than once XD) will notice there are many symbols and hidden messages in common objects found throughout the series, such as roses, spaceships, various butterflies, milkshakes, fans, balloons, and hundreds more.

Many of these show up during student council meetings, or in the dueling arena during certain duels, especially the Black Rose Saga.

Which ones of these stood out to you, and what do you think they mean?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 22, 2008 7:28 PM

Jan 2008
The rose is a symbol of redemptive love (the rose cross is a symbol for Christ's sacrifice). The Rose and the initative titles for the duels are what drew me in.
Aug 19, 2010 10:01 AM

Feb 2008
- the butterflies represent metamorphasis

- the spaceships........ no idea

- the cats in the last episode of the black rose saga represented family

- the shadow girls are the 'vibe' or the students, or what people are talking and thinking about. they also use symbols and metaphors to discribe whats happening or whats gonna happen

- akio's car...... adulthood, sex, passion, transformation

- miki's stopwatch........ no sure, but someone told me that miki was aware that time was moving differently in ohtori so he was timing time.
Jun 6, 2011 6:46 AM

Jun 2008
nexist418 said:
The rose is a symbol of redemptive love (the rose cross is a symbol for Christ's sacrifice).

Funny that you should mention that cause when I rewatched last episode (before reading your comment) I thought that Anthy/Rose Bride with her hands above her head, pierced with the first sword looked almost crucified - I mean, if she had her arms open like on a cross this image couldn't be more powerful.
And Utena - stabbed in back - betrayed by the closest one - still fights for the one she loves, you know this whole "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Towers - totally pervert, fallic towers :P

And butterflies - yes, metamorphosis but rather reversed one - in the elevator they start with butterfly and then go back to chrysalis and caterpillar (on the leaf). So it's rather like taking them back in their development, their progress into humanity even.

Ok, just some random thoughts :P Had no one to share them with ^^
Aug 9, 2011 11:45 AM

Jul 2011
Duelistbluerose said:

- miki's stopwatch........ no sure, but someone told me that miki was aware that time was moving differently in ohtori so he was timing time.

I was hoping somebody had some insight into that. It had always baffled me.
Live Faust, Die Jung, Leave it to Beaver

Sep 2, 2012 5:10 PM

Apr 2011
lol the infamous stopwatch. It could also be there to show how much he regrets the passage of time and wishes he could stop it literally and go back to his sunlit childhood. And he doesn't want to enter the adult world. If this were true, any time he stops the stopwatch are probably the moments he's either thinking about childhood, uncomfortable with a situation, or something similar. I still like the Ohtori weird time flow idea, though.

I always think of the rose stuff as representing femininity and vajayjay. Mikage's elevator and the student council's elevator are both symbolic of change and self reflection/self image. Like, when people go down Mikage's elevator they are unhappy with themselves/their lives, and when people go up the stu co elevator they feel powerful and resolve and the opposite directions of motion (up for student council, down for Mikage) shows how the changes are opposites of each other. Being able to pull a sword from someone's chest means the puller has a hold on the owner's heart. Every character's signature colors represent something about them. Oh and the movie has the whole Utenacar which was a visual way to show how Utena was the vehicle that brought Anthy out of Ohtori, ie made it possible. And I think Akio's name has something to do with Lucifer? In contrast with Dios, a god-like sort of name.

And then the penguindrum represents the life sh---- oh wait wrong show! My favorite symbolism in Utena though is definitely the shadow plays. I thought they were so fun and clever. Does anyone have any ideas about the bells from the dueling arena? I've never thought of any explanation for them.
Apr 4, 2017 9:31 AM
Sep 2016
I'm pretty sure the bells that happen after the duel are meant to represent wedding bells. Seeing as how after each duel someone becomes "engaged" to the Rose "Bride".
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which 'Shoujo Kakumei Utena' character is your favorite?

Louchan - Oct 16, 2007

37 by removed-user »»
Feb 7, 2021 9:00 AM

» Original 'Shoujo Kakumei Utena' manga?

Racchan - Oct 19, 2007

8 by Ricequake »»
Jul 13, 2014 10:34 PM

» Under appreciated?

psycho_doll - Oct 23, 2008

6 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Oct 28, 2010 10:37 AM

Poll: » What is your favorite arc in Shoujo Kakumei Utena TV Series?

MusashiRose - Jun 8, 2010

2 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Oct 28, 2010 10:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.