Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2011 10:43 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah, I know. It's been a month and nothing is happening here. This past time has been tests and exams and a project about opening a ficticious restaurant from the ground up (roughly $628k to start up from scratch, with facilities, permits, licenses, taxes, payroll, and insurance.)

One thing I did make alot of was finger foods to eat while plugging numbers into about 11 different spreadsheets. One of the simplist foods to do in times like this are bagel pizzas.

Instead of getting the microwavable kind that just gets all soggy after you take them out of the microwave, I decided to just do it myself. And on a budget, I used whatever I had. The only issue was I wanted a sauce that actually tasted like actual pizza sauce, not just leftover spaghetti blandness. Even though it does help out as a shortcut.

I'm sure everyone tried this at least once in their lives.

Bagel Pizzas

Bagel halves (8)

Shredded Cheese (Preferred: Italian blend, not finely shredded)

6 oz. Tomato Paste (one can)
14 oz. Spaghetti sauce (puree if big chunks. Tomato sauce is fine too.)
2 cloves garlic
2 oz. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Oregeno
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Sauce:

Combine the tomato paste and the sauce with a whisk.

Combine the garlic cloves and olive oil in a food processor. Add to the sauce mix.

Add the oregeno, salt, and pepper and whisk until combined.

Place bagel halves on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

With a ladle or spoon, spread the sauce on each bagel in a circular motion, leaving about 1/2 - 1/4 inch of space from the edge.

Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, leaving the same distance from the edge.

Put on any toppings that you'd like. (I used whatever I could find in the fridge worth using. Bacon bits, turkey slices cut brunoise, and onion small diced.)

Bake at 350 degrees until the middle is melted on most of the pizzas. The residual heat will melt the rest of them.

Also, the sauce and cheese should have melted over to the edge, causing minimal mess on your pan.

Let cool, then enjoy however you enjoy pizza. I used some ranch with mine.

**SHORTCUTS**

Just because it's already processed doesn't mean it doesn't count as being processed. Most other recipes would call for tomato sauce. Spaghetti sauce really is just seasoned tomato sauce. The added spices to the spaghetti sauce adds to regular pizza sauce, probably cutting back on other ingredients that the others would call for.

**TOMATO SAUCE =/= TOMATO PASTE**

Tomato paste is a batch of cooked tomatoes, strained, then heated again to reduce the liquid content.

Tomato sauce is a batch of briefly cooked and strained tomatoes. The liquid content isn't reduced. Sauces may contain added flavors. (example: Spaghetti sauce)

A third canned tomato product, puree, is basically between the previous two, and contains no added flavors.

Fun fact: While a tomato itself is considered a fruit, the canned products are considered vegetables. And as we all know now, because of this pizza is now considered a vegetable. Isn't that swell...?

**ALTERNATIVE USE**

I'm not limiting this to just pizza sauce. It makes an awesome dipping sauce for other breads and pretzels too. Auntie Anne's doesn't sound so bad right now, does it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.