Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2011 12:13 AM

Feb 2011
The sophomore mixtape from the genius lyricist Logic.

Now there's 3 noticeable things.
1. He's a white rapper.
2. He's a white rapper from MARYLAND. (Substantial and Nujabes ftw)
3. This mixtape says it was released back in June. The thing is there's 2 different album covers with the 2nd saying that it came out 9/19/11 but either way I just had to review this album due to the fact it's just fucking pro, point blank period.

Production:
Now the very first thing that was noticeable about this album was that I have not heard authentic, genuine, & passionate sampling since DJ Shadow's Endtroducing and that was a damn instrumental hip-hop album. The beginning track is enough to pull you in as it gives you a taste of the title and Frank Sinatra's "It Was a Good Year" before kicking into the actual hardening track, sounding like something only a die hard hip-hop lover could create & use. The entire album can be heard with samples including Erykah Badu & even a blend between the tracks of Kid Cudi's "50 Ways To Make A Record" and Drake's "Champagne Thoughts" in the track "Champagne Thoughts" . All in all the production of this mostly mellowed out hip-hop album won my heart right off the bat & kept it to the very last second.
5/5

Lyrics:
Now as I said previously, with the production being such an amazing creation, it would be a shame for it to be wasted on a newcomer. In this case though, I'd rather give this newcomer a shot rather than some of our most aged rhyming veterans. As a previous resident of Maryland myself, I'm surprised it took this long for such an artist to surface & circulate over to Vegas but I'm glad to have found him either way. As any young up and comer, Logic can fall into the "Fighting for fame" category but he offers so much more, his lyrics can actually touch some of his style as he mentions a line such as, "This that new school style, but the flow remind you of them old days, fast forward to the present, rappers have no class like snow days, good god, let me bring it back to hip-hop's first renaissance, 96', kool-aid and Sega Genesis." The main point of this album is to bring you into Logic's mind and through these 22 tracks (including skits) he definitely succeeds with tracks such as Beggin', Mind of Logic, Young Sinatra II, and Just Another Day (In My Mind). Same with the production, Logic has held my attention from the very first to last second & if his struggle for fame doesn't pay off, then I'll pay money out of my pocket on a daily basis.
5/5

Overall:
Overall, this is a MUST-COP for 2011 and the only thing that is hesitating you is yourself with it being a mixtape and such. Available for a free download at http://www.datpiff.com/Logic-Young-Sinatra-mixtape.271763.html this combination of amazing old-school production along with a new school and mellow, hungry flow turns this mixtape into an instant classic in my opinion. I'll definitely have Logic on my unsigned hype watch list & I'll be praying he gets the stardom he deserves (ironic coming from me) & I'll be waiting for the next mixtape or first album.
5/5

CounterpartNov 10, 2011 10:15 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» General Discussion

BinaryStar - Feb 3, 2015

0 by BinaryStar »»
Feb 3, 2015 4:38 PM

» Fav. Producers?

chocolaetmaelk - Nov 19, 2012

5 by sebainter »»
Apr 6, 2013 7:38 AM

» Who's your favorite rapper?

FiendishJZA - Aug 25, 2012

7 by sebainter »»
Apr 6, 2013 7:27 AM

» GeminiEye's video thread

GeminiEye - Jan 13, 2013

4 by GeminiEye »»
Feb 28, 2013 1:59 AM

» The 2012 List

Counterpart - Oct 26, 2012

7 by FiendishJZA »»
Dec 14, 2012 11:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.