Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 30, 2011 7:19 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah, I know. I didn't post any recipes last week and this week it's something so common.

Well, instead of just going through, I thought I'd go about the methods I took to do so.

By the way, it yields approx. 60 cookies. (5 batches, 12 each batch)

Recommended equipment:

Baking Sheet
Parchment Paper
Cooking Spray
2 oz. Releasing Scoop
Kitchen-Aid Mixer
Food Processor

Chocolate Chip Cookies

8 oz. Sugar
12 oz. Brown Sugar
8 oz. Butter
8 oz. Vegetable Spread

4 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

10 oz. AP Flour
10 oz. Wheat Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Salt
8 oz. Rolled Oats, grounded

10-12 oz. Chocolate Chips

Sift both sugars together. Soften the butter and combine with the spread in a mixer with a paddle (low to med speed.) Add in the sugar and cream together.

Open 4 eggs into a bowl, then add in the vanilla extract, but do not mix in the bowl. While the mixer is still running slowly add each egg until fully combined with the butter and sugar mix.

Grind the oats in a food processor or grinder. Sift with the rest of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Slowly add in the sifted ingredients. When combined with the mix, increase the speed of the mixer to medium-high.

Add in the chocolate chips and run for 30 seconds.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray cookie sheet down and cover with a sheet of parchment paper. With a full scoop of batter, drop onto the sheet (3 rows, 4 in each row.) Bake until the edges start to turn brown. Repeat until batter is fully used up.

Notes:

***DROP METHOD***

Drop method of making cookies is literally dropping balls of batter onto the cookie sheet. This method is usually straight from the mixer, without any further preperation.

An old style ice-cream scoop with a release lever on it works well. They have scoops specifically for cookies (called cookie droppers. Original, right?) that have a squeeze handle. I recently got a small metal one from Publix, but cost worth it I think if you're going for the look. The more round you drop them, the better they look at the end. If you don't want to shell out the extra money use a soup spoon and a spatula. They won't come out perfectly round but it's the closest you can get to uniformed drops.

***ICEBOX METHOD***

This type of cookie method making requires you to roll your cookie dough in a shaped log, then wrapped for later use. After your batter is completed, it's either frozen or refridgerated. The cookies are cut from the log into slices and baked. This is basically the cookie dough you see that is ready to bake in the supermarket, minus using the eggs. Salmonela danger.

***SIFTING***

In order for your cookies to be mixed perfectly together, sifting helps combine everything evenly. Without doing so, each cookie could possibly be missing the right amount of sugar, salt, oats, etc. and could possibly bake unevenly. Ingredients you usually don't have to sift come out of a box because all of the dry ingredients are already combined.

Boxed cake is considered fool-proof because in addition to other ingredients, the main ingredients are already measured and sifted for you, and all you have to do is add the liquid ingredients, mix, and bake. Though there is a quality difference usually, store-bought and home-made use the same methods.

***TYPES OF OVENS***

Make sure you know what your oven is capable of. Personally, I have a conventional electric oven. Many times over, this oven doesn't cook evenly. Because of this, I don't usually bake more than a few racks at a time, and I really do that much.

Convection ovens use air to circulate heat around, baking foods more accurately. I think they sell fans specifically to turn ovens into convection types. These are usually more expensive though, but you do get what you pay for.

Also if you have one of those little ovens that sit on your counter, that would work, though you may go a little overtime on it since it won't hold much. For a few cookies on the fly though it'd be perfect, then save the rest of your batter for later use.

***SUBSTITUTIONS***

Instead of using the original recipe, you can add nutritious value to your mix. Reasons can be and not limited to cost production, nutritional value, or easier methods.

Combining butter and spread cuts down on costs since spread or margarine is sold at a lower cost than butter. Also, the spread I used happened to be Smart Balance, which adds extra Omega-3 suppliments to the cookies without changing the flavor or texture of the finished cookie. Replacing half of the flour with wheat flour adds fiber to the cookies, which gives them more of a nutritional value. Using rolled oats instead of nuts also adds in other nutrients, but also the cost of oats is usually alot cheaper than nuts.

You can use whichever kind of chips you'd like really. I used a mix of peanut butter and white chocolate in my previous batch.

If you choose to replace though, make sure you replace evenly.

In other words.... "Equivilant Exchange."

Where have you heard that before.... (As they say, "Alchemy begins in the kitchen!")
RamenSoup43Nov 1, 2011 12:46 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.