Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2011 11:26 PM

Jan 2011
Okay, if you're going to make ice cream of any kind, it's a good idea to have an ice cream maker. You've probably seen one at your local department store. It's pretty much a freezable canister that you put inside of an electronic container that spins it around while a plastic spatula thing is run through it, scraping the sides of the cream mixture.

If you don't happen to have one, I noticed a cheaper way of doing so unless you want to do that salt/ice thing, so I'll put that down too.

3 green tea bags
1.5 cups of water

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces sugar
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bring the water to a boil, then simmer. Brew the tea bags in the water until desired strength. Discard the bags and keep the tea to a simmer, reducing the liquid to 1/3 of what is in the pot. Put aside until needed.

(after the tea is reduced)
Add the evaporated milk and bring to a simmer. In a metal bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together.

TEMPERING

In order to cook the egg yolks without turning them into scrambled eggs, you need to temper them. Tempering is adding a hot liquid to a cold mixture in small amounts in order to rise the temperature slowly to cooking. It's mostly done with egg products for this usual reason.

Using a ladel or spoon, add a small amount of the milk/tea mix to the egg mix and whisk well. Add another ounce and whisk well. Repeat until the egg is well incorporated with the milk. Reduce the heat to scalding, then pour the tempered egg mix into the pot and stir well. The mix is ready when it coats the back of a spoon well. Let the pot cool (To save time, have an icebath ready. It's literally what it's called; a large container of ice and water, big enough to place a pot in to cool it down and stop things from cooking.)

When cooled, stir in the heavy cream. Then transfer into an ice cream maker and let it run until ice cream is thick and ready.

** IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN ICE CREAM MAKER **

1. Place your mixture in a large freezer-safe bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let it sit in your freezer for 20-30 minutes.

2. Remove and skim any ice crystals formed on the surface of your mixture. Whisk the mixture to incorporate air. It should start to thicken and increase in volume. Seal and place in the freezer again for another 30 minutes.

3. Repeat the process until you're happy with the ice cream consistancy. If it gets too solid to beat just place in the fridge to thaw it out until you are able to beat it. Usually 2 or 3 more times will do it.

I believe I used this recipe in my healthy baking class on top of pineapple cobbler (drizzled with pineapple sauce I thickened up, served in a martini glass. Presentation was nice for the normal one, but not so much with the healthy one. Lack of eggs and natural sugar made the ice cream melt fast.)

** EGG USAGE **

Remember, this recipe contains eggs. Consumption of raw or undercooked eggs can make you sick. If you're iffy about the custard-style recipe above, here's a good alternative.

3 green tea bags
1 cups of water

1 cup heavy cream
8 oz can of condensed milk
1-2 tsp vanilla extract (to taste)

Boil water and brew tea bags. Reduce to 1/4 liquid. Remove from heat and cool. Add everything to the pot and mix everything together well. Transfer mix to an ice cream maker and let it run until finished, or do the method above without an ice cream maker.

So yeah, you got your green tea ice cream. Cool treat, antioxidants, egg tempering know-how... What more can you ask? Have fun with it!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.