Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2008 2:22 AM

Nov 2007
Topic says it all, really.

Now the first episode has aired and people have seen it, can anybody say if you need to have seen the previous series, or will this be watchable in its own right? Slayers is a franchise I've managed to entirely miss for years, but it's something I've been interested in, so I'm tempted to check this out.
Jul 5, 2008 2:56 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Same here. Plus my favorite fansub group picked this up and it'd be a shame if I had to pass on their releases.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 5, 2008 3:24 AM

Aug 2007
SS+Eclipse FTW!!
Jul 5, 2008 3:41 AM

Feb 2008
MRLX69 said:
SS+Eclipse FTW!!

Spam much?

Anyway, I'm also on the same boat, but I've watched the first 2 series (though it was years ago).
Jul 5, 2008 3:57 AM

Nov 2007
Well, I just watched the first episode (so much for resisting it.) and think it's okay to watch as is, though I'm sure it would be more appreciable if I had seen the prior series and knew the characters. Still feels like a first episode, though. So I think it might be alright standalone, though I suppose it's time I get around to watching the previous series.
Jul 5, 2008 3:58 AM

Dec 2007
It's difficult to give clear answer after only one episode but I guess I could say that probably it should be watchable for the new people but you also will miss plenty of small things that will be recognisable by old folks who have seen the older series earlier.

The main plotline in Revolution seems to be completely new. Even though I think there is a very good chance that in following episodes gonna be references to events of the previous series I suppose the most important events will get some kind of explanation which will allow people new to the series treat them as some kind of lore so in the story I see no problems for the newcomers. But what is not less important than the story are characters, and from the first episode I think it's clear that there won't be any introductions of the old main characters cast. There is a chance that the new to the series people might find strange or confusing how characters act or react on some things.

Summing all of it I will say try watching few first episodes and if after watching them you still won't be finding characters of the Slayers likeable there is a very good chance that you won't like them even if you will watch the earlier series prior that. Despite such long pause they still feels like ol' good Slayers and while I think the new series mainly directed to the old fanbase there is a good chance that the new to series people might like it as well and it's mostly will depend whether they will be able to enjoy this style of 90s or not.
Jul 5, 2008 4:13 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Thanks for the help Aesir-!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 5, 2008 6:15 AM

Jan 2008
Yesterday someone reminded me that this was going to be aired, but I wasn't too interested because of that (missing the story line and such). I've seen randomly episodes from the very first season when it was on TV (which is a long while ago) but I was also wondering this.

This is what I found in Wikipedia.

--

Slayers Revolution
Slayers Revolution started airing in Japan on July 2, 2008 and Megumi Hayashibara performed both the opening and ending theme songs. Revolution is a 26-episode series that follows an original storyline, with series director Takashi Watanabe and production studio J.C. Staff, reprising their duties from the three original TV series. It picks up from the point of Slayers Try after Gourry gave up the Sword of Light and will follow Lina and Gourry as they attempt to find a weapon to replace it. Amelia and Zelgadis joins them once again and a new character in the series is Wizer, the Inspector of the Special Investigative Unit for the kingdom of Luvinagard. Other characters confirmed for Slayers Revolution are Xellos and two characters named Kuppy and Pokota.

--

Just keep in mind that this series originally started in 1995, this being the fourth version (or something), the three previous had 26 episodes each. So, I'm hoping it's not relying too much in a story that is that old...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 13 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 25, 2008

24 by LeonhartAugust »»
Apr 3, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Xellos's new dubbed voice

Tsumayouji - May 27, 2011

5 by funtime43_tr »»
Sep 1, 2022 4:25 AM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dtshyk - Jul 2, 2008

56 by Etcetera- »»
Oct 15, 2021 7:16 PM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 2 Discussion

Tenjouname - Jul 9, 2008

29 by DonTrumpolino »»
May 25, 2021 4:56 PM

Poll: » Slayers Revolution Episode 12 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 17, 2008

16 by Gator »»
Feb 14, 2021 4:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.