Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2011 2:44 PM

Apr 2010
This is a thread for card making pros who want to share their tipps and tricks with rookies to help them improve!

well i'm not a pro but i have a few tipps as well (if you think they're crap pls tell me^^):

- if you don't know which color you should use for the text chose a color from the picture, the color will match to 99%
- don't use too many different fonts, since it looks messy ( i use at maximum 2 fonts on one card)
- don't try to make the card too overloaded, a plain card looks normally better
- use a program which can create layers and then make everything in a new layer (for example the background image in a different layer than the text) it's easier to correct mistakes or to try different things out like this
- save your cards as png since it has a better quality than jpg and it is able to handle transparency

i use paint.NET to create my cards, it's available for free and easy to use, even a beginner will be able to work with it^^

xRay-chanxApr 24, 2011 3:23 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 25, 2011 1:05 PM

Jun 2010
I'm no pro either but I've been there as well.. most of you probably know these already but sometimes we still forget
the simplest and most basics of things..so I hope they'll be useful :D

■ be sure to familiarize yourself with the software/program you're using (knowing some of the keyboard shortcuts won't hurt right? coz
it's really gonna be useful when editing your cards...I know it's bothersome but when you get there, you'll know what I mean :P). For
photoshop users, you can open your keyboard shortcuts and menus by clicking Edit>Keyboard Shortcut/Menus or just simply press
Alt+Shift+Ctrl+K or replace K with M..you can also refer to this
■ for a perfect circle/square border/shape, just press shift while dragging the cursor
■ to choose a color from the picture, just click the eyedropper tool on the tools menu, also as addition to what xRay-chanx said above,
white always looks good for the text as long as you can read it, best on slightly or dark images..I think :P
■ try using and experimenting on different layer styles such as drop shadow, outer glow and pattern overlay..
■ always try to find big high/good quality images because you'll have more options on editing it (you can resize it the way you want to) unlike
low quality ones which have blurry, grainy and unclear lines.
■ and to save time and effort, look for images that you think are appropriate for the event, gather images as many as you can, well only
the good ones then save them to a folder, after that,..sort it all out.. choose or set aside the images you chose to use for the cards
and voilà!!! your ready to make cards...it might sound complicated but it is easy and more organize :3
incarnateApr 26, 2011 5:44 AM
Apr 26, 2011 4:16 AM
Nov 2010
I'm also not a pro,but few tipy tips and tricky tricks for me you will recive also.(okay I'm not gonna tell you all my secrets but still :)

• As xyBer said,familiarize whit your editing program.Personally I use FotoFlexer because is online,is free,it got enough effects and few good options including add image and that's good. :)

• The add image option is very good because you can add clip arts from safe sites like VeryIcon.com and give them a photoshoped look-a-like :)

• Try to find good quality pics by using a big gallery site like Konachan.com or Zerochan.net. because a good quality improves your look a like of the cards.

• Adding borders ; a border adding is not always necessary unless you want to put a frame,a shadow,or just make the pic look like an horizontal O. :)

• Copy region tool;is very nice because you can copy an area of the original pic,apply an efect to it,and chain it to teh picture whit a chin icon,to again make it look photoshoped. :)

Okay than,you stoled enough secrets from me ^^"
Musician_Soul98Apr 26, 2011 4:55 AM
Apr 26, 2011 10:28 AM

Mar 2009
I'm not a pro at all. I use GIMP. Tutorial (with videos):
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=88080

> Paint.Net, Photoshop and Gimp are good. You can use any of them. Peint.Net and Gimp can use Photoshop brushes. They are all free. You can download the trial version of Photoshop. Paint.Net and Gimp are really good enough to make cards.

> You can use more than 3 different fonts on your card. It's depened how it looks. 3 fonts are really enough for the start.

> Most cards have club name, member name and theme on the card.

> You find good fonts at dafont.com.

> The picture is the most important part of your card. Take your time to find good pictures. Zerochan.net is good enough ^^

> look for horincontal pictures, because it's easier to put text on them.

> Be sure 20 chars of letters fit on your card. Some requester have a long name.

> If you want to make many cards and deliver them, you should register by PhotoBucket. Albums are very good to organize the cards. You can name the title for the cards (It's easier to find the cards).

> If you make your first card: Take your time ;)
Apr 28, 2011 8:25 AM

Mar 2011
Okay, here it goes. I'm not a pro at all, but I want to share you my knowledge about editing graphics. I hope it's understandable.. >.<

.:: HOW TO MAKE DOTTED BORDER WITH PHOTOSHOP ::.
The title explains everything, right?

Apr 28, 2011 7:13 PM

Jun 2010
I was inspired by black-ALICE's tutorial so I made this. There are a lot of ways of doing this and this tut shows how I do mine :3

Rounded/Semi-Rounded Edges Tutorial

incarnateApr 28, 2011 7:22 PM
Apr 29, 2011 12:02 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah, it's clear enough. Thanks ^^
You use Photoshop for sure.
The best way to teach are videos:
May 20, 2011 10:08 AM

Jul 2009
can i ask for tutorial? :D
Jul 7, 2011 11:53 PM

Nov 2008
I find it easier when you make your cards Make Two Templates for one card.
One Being a preview and one being a blank card. It makes
it a lot easier for those who don't have photoshop.

Preview

Blank (Has Added Red Marking)

And It Also Help If You Organize You folders some what like this.
otaku_LifeJul 8, 2011 12:01 AM
TSC
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Rookie Area ( 1 2 )

xRay-chanx - Apr 24, 2011

97 by panguino729 »»
Aug 28, 2013 11:01 PM

» [members: closed] Nekomimi LE

xRay-chanx - May 12, 2012

34 by _greyce76 »»
Aug 7, 2012 2:14 AM

Sticky: » [temporarily CLOSED]Official Membercards ( 1 2 3 )

xRay-chanx - Apr 24, 2011

149 by xTsukinox3 »»
Jul 21, 2012 7:53 AM

» [game] Four Letter Word Game ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ryouzenpaku - Apr 28, 2011

481 by anck-su-namun »»
Jun 25, 2012 1:38 PM

» [members:closed]Random Picture SE part 6[admins:closed]

xRay-chanx - May 3, 2012

10 by JohnLopez »»
May 4, 2012 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.