Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2011 10:59 AM
Oct 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I saw this movie yesterday. The animation was beautiful and it was a pleasure to watch. But the plot... I mean, Mamoru's death, Sasha's sacrifice, it's as if they didn't know how to make a plot twist without killing anyone. The whole Sanada raising Sasha thing didn't make sense. Even with all its flaws, I enjoyed the movie, and that's what matters at the end.
nacho99Jun 16, 2011 8:21 PM
Aug 19, 2015 7:26 PM

May 2012
Oh boy this sure was a great movie! The way they introduced Sasha again but completely grownup and got away with her immense growth quite nicely I still must say that I expected her to be in the next season, yet here we find her being introduced and already killed off!

Together with the sad and quite touching part of Mamoru's death and Yuki's "imprisonment", but at least she got safely back together in the end.

In all this sure was an epic ride of intense action and great development, I'm definitely looking forward to see what the third season will offer us!
Aug 9, 2016 2:40 AM

Oct 2009
Why not destroy the enemy central base with main guns in the first place instead of sending the planes?
Mar 6, 2020 7:31 AM

Oct 2012
What a weird, absurd, insane film. So ridiculous and over the top that it circled around to being enjoyable. Spectacle and scale used and toyed with just to boggle the mind, enemies and impossibly bleak scenarios pop up and induce awe ... just before the Yamato uses the heroics of its basically superhuman crew and incredibly advanced weapons to turn the tides in humanity's favor, no matter what.

This is the first time in the movie series that it feels like the Yamato is unstoppable, a true force of nature that is as beautiful as it is chaotic. Hell, the enemies basically took over Earth and brought on the Black Nebula out of fear of the Yamato, and even that didn't work.

Definitely way more dramatic and over the top than it needs to be. But that's part of the appeal, part of what makes Yamato a one of a kind franchise. So many scenes that left me breathless... and at the same time, so many scenes I couldn't help but laugh at. (Mamoru literally blowing himself up like that? Sasha falling in love with Susumu?? The entire concept of a double gravity galaxy??? Time traveling because of arbitrary warp physics????) Part of the appeal!

From what I've seen, Final Yamato - that mammoth of a movie that still stands as the single longest animation film of ALL TIME - takes all the ridiculousness of this film and takes it up TO THE EXTREME. Very excited to dig into that and see where this could possibly go from here.
Feb 16, 2022 10:00 AM

Apr 2019
This really could have been good. But a lot of stuff ruined it, it's filled with plot holes and the only good moment (Kodai crying over having to kill Sasha) got absolutely ruined. Hope the next installments of the series will be better
Nov 12, 2023 1:18 PM

Jun 2015
This movie had the most beautiful space backgrounds in the Yamato Saga. I always found space flat in Yamato but I overlooked it since it was an old anime. They really put effort here.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.