Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2010 3:33 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow,this was much better than many other one-episode OVAs.At least better than many of those i've seen and i've seen many ^_^
Of course it's not great,but that's only because it's just one episode.It starts somewhere in the middle of...somewhere and ends pretty much nowhere.Almost no character developed except for Daigo's,but that's mostly cause he had the most screen time.The art and animation were decent,and the soundtrack wasn't bad too,especially the song at the ends was very good imo.

I very much liked it when Daigo was about to strike the wall with an axe to check if there was a fire and he screamed "Wouldn't it be perfect if nothing is found after breaking it?!".
It reminded me of Hiruluk from OP,when he climbed to the castle to cure the "ill" doctors who served the king and then he found he had been fooled,but instead of getting mad or something he was happy that noone was sick.

I'll give it a 9/10 and because it was very enjoyable for me.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jan 30, 2011 3:12 AM

Jan 2011
hmm still I wanted that it has a TV series of it =/
The manga was great.

May 2, 2017 3:16 AM

Jan 2011
That was a lot more dull than I was expecting. The lack of connection with the characters made any drama fall flat and the actual fire fighting was eh. Definitely aimed at people who already read the manga.
Jan 23, 2019 7:45 AM

Aug 2012
This had some great action, it reminded me of a condensed Rescue Wings in many ways. You can tell this is based on a Manga because there is clearly so much more depth to this story and these characters than is shown in this short OVA.

Unfortunately that is where this Anime for me fell short because while all the action was pretty well done I just couldn't get behind much of the drama simply because not enough time was spent building characters up. I mean with only 40 minutes it would be hard to do but for example the house fire could have been skipped and replaced with more character stuff and help the drama elements feel alittle less empty.

I agree it's a shame this wasn't a TV series or at least a 2 or 3 episode OVA. For what it is it's pretty solid and totally worth 40 minutes of anyone's time but it's only going to leave the viewer wanting more, but not in a positive way as such.

EDIT: Seems there was a Live Action TV series that ran for 11 episodes based on the Manga called FIREBOYS. And it was subbed into English so there is always that option for anyone looking for more from this OVA but don't want to read the Manga (not sure if it's available in English anywhere anyway).
BlaizeVJan 26, 2019 3:10 PM
Aug 7, 2019 6:41 PM

Dec 2015
I'm reading the manga right now it's a shame this wasn't fully adapted :(
Feb 18, 2021 6:20 AM

Oct 2017
Can't find the song anywhere (Hiroshi Kitadani - Red Darkness)

:(
Sep 24, 2023 7:20 PM

May 2010
Reply to ReaperCreeper
That was a lot more dull than I was expecting. The lack of connection with the characters made any drama fall flat and the actual fire fighting was eh. Definitely aimed at people who already read the manga.
I just finished the manga and watched this getting ready for the sequel to get an anime. This was fine but you already need to have an investment in the series to enjoy this to the fullest. Sad this is all that was animated the manga was great but this does not hit the highs the manga reached leaving this a sad relic of what could have been. It’s kinda tragic seeing the followup get an adaptation while this is all the OG fans had for years.
Sep 30, 2023 4:09 AM

Jan 2011
linkmax1412 said:
I just finished the manga and watched this getting ready for the sequel to get an anime. This was fine but you already need to have an investment in the series to enjoy this to the fullest. Sad this is all that was animated the manga was great but this does not hit the highs the manga reached leaving this a sad relic of what could have been. It’s kinda tragic seeing the followup get an adaptation while this is all the OG fans had for years.
Didn't realise the manga got a full release, I'll have to check it out sometime now, and before the new anime.

BTW, only checked back here by chance and saw there was a recent reply to me that I didn't get notified of.
Mar 25, 10:32 AM

Jun 2022
1) How To Save People From Fire :

1.1 ) Throw Them From Higher Floors .

1.2) Collapse The Wall With Truck & Make A Op.

2) Also , What Was The Deal With That Sensei ? Just Make Them A Couple Already .

3) Looking Forward To Better Animation .

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.