Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is comeic relifer in tragic series necessary?
Sep 12, 2010 11:30 AM

Aug 2010
So what do you think of the use of comic relief in tragic series?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 12, 2010 1:06 PM

Apr 2010
it's ok, if there's also some comedy in a tragic series, but i don't like it if it's used as a reliefer. i think a comic relief beats the point of tragedy.
Sep 12, 2010 1:31 PM

Aug 2010
I don't mind comedy, but I think over-the-top slapstick comedy kills the mood. Now black comedy in tragic series I'm actually a fan of. I remember in Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid through all the despair in the second half, they threw in just a couple of black comedic moments. It wasn't accompanied by happy music, the characters didn't overreact, and I laughed my ass off. It didn't even take away from the serious mood. Overall, I would say Comedy can be used well in Tragic series if it's done smartly, meaning not there just to make things happy or so over the top it ends up breaking the mood.
Sep 12, 2010 2:22 PM

Apr 2010
well said! and it's right, you have to differentiate. i think black comedy might really fit, allthough i can't remember a anime or manga like that.
Sep 12, 2010 2:37 PM

Aug 2010
nienna81 said:
well said! and it's right, you have to differentiate. i think black comedy might really fit, allthough i can't remember a anime or manga like that.

Thanks, and I don't know many that use black comedy very effectively. I wouldn't really call it a shame because I'm not extremely huge on comedy, but it is an interesting mix.
Sep 12, 2010 2:48 PM

Apr 2010
the more i think about it, you could say NGE has also black comedy in it. it's been a long time since i've seen (and read) it, so i'm not too sure about it.

i like comedy very much, but it depends. sometimes it's exaggerated etc. and in combination with other genres it's really depends on the mix.
Sep 12, 2010 4:42 PM

Aug 2010
The comedy in Neon Genesis Evangelion sometimes fell into the relief category though. Outside of black comedy, I think Fruits Basket and Clannad After Story utilized comedy and drama pretty well together. Both have some well known tragic scenes (particularly the later) but both also have tons of moments to laugh about. While After Story is more divided between the playful and serious parts, Fruits Basket often jumped back and forth between comedy and drama. You can literally find comedic parts and dramatic parts on the same page.
Sep 23, 2010 2:20 AM

Dec 2008
Well I really liked comedic parts in Satoshi Kon´s "Paranoia Agent". When the small group try to commit suicide and always fail, though it´s not a laughable matter, I could not stop smiling. I think it´s pretty hard for tragedy to contain comedic part, yet without disturbing the mood / atmosphere.
Sep 23, 2010 8:52 AM

Aug 2010
The eight episode of Paranoia Agent is one of my favorite episodes in the entire series. It isn't a laughing matter, but I laughed pretty hard as soon as I saw what they were trying to do. I also think the "cast diversity" of the suicide group added to the comedy.
Sep 24, 2010 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
Well I wouldn't say it's necessary but it usually feels nice when a show is at the brink of becoming melodrama or just too depressing.
Oct 1, 2010 9:08 PM

Dec 2008
I'm cool with tragic series having a bit of comedy relief, so long as it's not a "forced comedy", and by this I mean that they add bad comic scenes just to get more people to watch the anime, etc.
Nov 3, 2010 8:27 AM

Jul 2010
clannad, air and kanon did it really well
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Nov 22, 2010 4:41 PM

Aug 2010
When I read a tragedy, its because I want to get attatched to the characters, and cry... yes... cry... or atleast feel extremely emotionally involved... so I'm not a huge fan of comedy in a tragedy
HOWEVER... a little comedy is okay, as long as it doesn't ruin the mood...
TheNewAkira said:
Now black comedy in tragic series I'm actually a fan of.

AMEN... amen... I think somehow, disturbing black humor kind of adds to tragedies in some ways... also ironic humor...
*shrugs* just my opinion...
"참 많은 파도가친다.앞으로 여행할길은 너무멀고길지만 멈추면안돼.. 멈춘순간 어른이 되어가는 길을 포기하는 나락으로 떨어진다. 어른이되어가는 경험은 이제부터 시작이지만 아직어리고 젊다는 최고의무기로 아직 눈앞에 보이지않는 더넓은 세상을 밟고싶다."
--김재중
CLICK IF YOU WISH
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Top 10 Tragic Romances in Anime

removed-user - Jan 25, 2021

0 by removed-user »»
Jan 25, 2021 6:42 AM

Sticky: » Membercards [OPEN]

nienna81 - Sep 5, 2010

45 by ZeroZera »»
Nov 28, 2018 11:48 PM

» Not sure if the club is dead? But anyway what's your favourite tragedy?

sillybunny01242 - May 12, 2017

1 by removed-user »»
May 18, 2018 2:26 PM

Poll: » [OPEN] Clannad After Story LE [OPEN]

removed-user - Aug 2, 2015

0 by removed-user »»
Aug 2, 2015 7:59 PM

» Tragedy recommendations

titaniachkt - Dec 4, 2014

0 by titaniachkt »»
Dec 4, 2014 3:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.