Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 6, 6:28 PM
Jan 2022
This thread may include SPOILERS! User discretion is advised!

This thread focusses on the functioning of ejection seats in Code Geass universe,

As far as I have observed throughout the entire series, ejection seats does not rely on any power source. Rather, the ejection works by pulling the two levers near the both ends of the pilot seat to seperate the cockpit from the rest of the knightmare, and then some boosters under the seat ignite for pushing the cockpit far away from the knightmare, followed by the deployment of a parachute. Considering the fact that this sequence is pretty standard for every ejection scene, I could conclude that it is a widespread and standard feature for (most if not) every knightmare, which ultimately supports the argument that they do not require any power (other than applying pressure to the respective levers) for pilot ejection. Otherwise, it would much more expensive to implement a power-requiring ejection system to countless different knightmare frames, and the ejections would (and could) not look completely identical.

It would also be irrational to design an ejection system which does not fully function without energy (or power). As the knighmares are fundamentally presented as combat vehicles in the series, any military engineer could anticipate a scenario which the power source of knigmares could be cut/disabled. Without further ado, the variables pave the way to the conclusion that ejections seats are completely no-power cost systems.

The tricky part here, as you are probably also thinking, is the boosters. I'm not an engineering expert, I'm far from it, but I even know that designing such an ejection mechanism without any energy reliance is possible even with our current technology (apart from the budget limits for such a project, of course). For the ejection sequence, it is quite possible to just add a mechanism which ignites the boosters via some sort of a pin or just by the friction caused by the releasing of ejection seat. Even better, the ejection boosters may be self-ignited depending on the fuel they use, if it is a material that gets ignited when contacted with air, the ignition of those boosters would not require any physical or electrical (or whatever) input. Furthermore, it is clearly seen in many instances that the ejection boosters burn some sort of fuel, which may most likely be petroleum products as the booster flames seems orange and emit blackish smoke, which is also a clear indicator that there is no electrical interference for sustaining the ignition. Lastly, Ash’s cockpit slot and hatch has clearly identical to designs to those of common knightmares, which leaves no room and reason for his knigmare to have an unorthodox ejection system design.

At this point, if my thesis on the functioning of ejection seats is (mostly) correct,
Actually, the question of ejection boosters being whether power-reliant or not is not even important here at all. Because; even if the boosters of the ejection seats are power-reliant, it is clear that pulling the levers and separating the cockpit is not. So,
Alternatively, the respective pilot could just open their hatch too, and the rest would be very similar since it was presented in the original series that

Even for a much hardcore scenario; regardless of the issue of power requirements for ejection procedure (it is irrelevant due to the possible outcome), or any physical/electrical/software related issues ultimately ruling out the option of ejection by the pilot,

These are not theories fuelled by certain desires, but rather setting up observation-based logic. My thread has no relation with the desired/non-desired developments/scenarios and the satisfaction/dissatisfaction over the conclusion of Episode 12 or behind the scenes production dynamics. My intention is to ask if my thesis is logically/completely/partially correct, or false in any degree. I would be happy if you people could enlighten me, or feel free to share your thoughts on this topic.

PS. English is not my native language, I’m sorry if there are any incomprehensibility or grammar issues.
cgnmxSep 6, 6:48 PM
Sep 6, 7:09 PM

Sep 2012
Bro the story board is shit and there's literally nothing we can do to justify their shit writing.
Oh god who are you people?
Sep 6, 7:11 PM
Jan 2022
nah dude i'm aware of that, i just wanna make sure i'm not missing anything on this topic
Sep 6, 11:35 PM

Sep 2008
short answer, yeah, you are pretty much right,
long answer:

Standard Ejection Systems:
Throughout the series, ejection systems in Knightmare Frames operate by pulling levers, which then separate the cockpit and ignite boosters. The boosters propel the pilot away from danger, and parachutes typically deploy. There is no indication that the ejection system itself relies on a power source, as it's a standard fail-safe in combat vehicles designed to function under duress—particularly in situations where power might be lost, such as combat damage. Therefore, you are correct, since multiple examples can be cited

Energy Independence of Ejection Mechanisms:
It's logical to design ejection systems that don’t depend on the Knightmare's power. Even modern-day ejection seats work independently of a jet/plane's power supply, utilizing means such as compressed gas or rocket fuel to propel the seat away.so it's not farfetched a similar approach could have been applied to Knightmare Frames, especially since its military vehicles that is already in the what, at least 8th generation by this point? (Lancelot was a 7th)

Sakuya Could’ve helped, even if Ash’s ejection system failed, Sakuya was nearby and could have helped. Knightmares are shown to be capable of handling delicate objects and humans without hurting them. She probably could have pulled Ash out or even caught his cockpit safely.so yeah, also right.

Conclusion:
Ash’s death seems more like a plot decision than a result of the tech not working, Ash should’ve had a decent chance at survival. His death feels more like a dramatic choice rather than a logical one

Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Sep 7, 3:49 AM
Jan 2022
Zero_r2 said:
short answer, yeah, you are pretty much right,
long answer:

Standard Ejection Systems:
Throughout the series, ejection systems in Knightmare Frames operate by pulling levers, which then separate the cockpit and ignite boosters. The boosters propel the pilot away from danger, and parachutes typically deploy. There is no indication that the ejection system itself relies on a power source, as it's a standard fail-safe in combat vehicles designed to function under duress—particularly in situations where power might be lost, such as combat damage. Therefore, you are correct, since multiple examples can be cited

Energy Independence of Ejection Mechanisms:
It's logical to design ejection systems that don’t depend on the Knightmare's power. Even modern-day ejection seats work independently of a jet/plane's power supply, utilizing means such as compressed gas or rocket fuel to propel the seat away.so it's not farfetched a similar approach could have been applied to Knightmare Frames, especially since its military vehicles that is already in the what, at least 8th generation by this point? (Lancelot was a 7th)

Sakuya Could’ve helped, even if Ash’s ejection system failed, Sakuya was nearby and could have helped. Knightmares are shown to be capable of handling delicate objects and humans without hurting them. She probably could have pulled Ash out or even caught his cockpit safely.so yeah, also right.

Conclusion:
Ash’s death seems more like a plot decision than a result of the tech not working, Ash should’ve had a decent chance at survival. His death feels more like a dramatic choice rather than a logical one

thx for the analysis, i also completely agree with the conclusion part.
Sep 7, 5:55 AM

Jan 2009
agreed ejection with parachutes should have been possible
Sep 7, 6:48 AM
Mar 2024
cgnmx said:
This thread may include SPOILERS! User discretion is advised!

This thread focusses on the functioning of ejection seats in Code Geass universe,

As far as I have observed throughout the entire series, ejection seats does not rely on any power source. Rather, the ejection works by pulling the two levers near the both ends of the pilot seat to seperate the cockpit from the rest of the knightmare, and then some boosters under the seat ignite for pushing the cockpit far away from the knightmare, followed by the deployment of a parachute. Considering the fact that this sequence is pretty standard for every ejection scene, I could conclude that it is a widespread and standard feature for (most if not) every knightmare, which ultimately supports the argument that they do not require any power (other than applying pressure to the respective levers) for pilot ejection. Otherwise, it would much more expensive to implement a power-requiring ejection system to countless different knightmare frames, and the ejections would (and could) not look completely identical.

It would also be irrational to design an ejection system which does not fully function without energy (or power). As the knighmares are fundamentally presented as combat vehicles in the series, any military engineer could anticipate a scenario which the power source of knigmares could be cut/disabled. Without further ado, the variables pave the way to the conclusion that ejections seats are completely no-power cost systems.

The tricky part here, as you are probably also thinking, is the boosters. I'm not an engineering expert, I'm far from it, but I even know that designing such an ejection mechanism without any energy reliance is possible even with our current technology (apart from the budget limits for such a project, of course). For the ejection sequence, it is quite possible to just add a mechanism which ignites the boosters via some sort of a pin or just by the friction caused by the releasing of ejection seat. Even better, the ejection boosters may be self-ignited depending on the fuel they use, if it is a material that gets ignited when contacted with air, the ignition of those boosters would not require any physical or electrical (or whatever) input. Furthermore, it is clearly seen in many instances that the ejection boosters burn some sort of fuel, which may most likely be petroleum products as the booster flames seems orange and emit blackish smoke, which is also a clear indicator that there is no electrical interference for sustaining the ignition. Lastly, Ash’s cockpit slot and hatch has clearly identical to designs to those of common knightmares, which leaves no room and reason for his knigmare to have an unorthodox ejection system design.

At this point, if my thesis on the functioning of ejection seats is (mostly) correct,
Actually, the question of ejection boosters being whether power-reliant or not is not even important here at all. Because; even if the boosters of the ejection seats are power-reliant, it is clear that pulling the levers and separating the cockpit is not. So,
Alternatively, the respective pilot could just open their hatch too, and the rest would be very similar since it was presented in the original series that

Even for a much hardcore scenario; regardless of the issue of power requirements for ejection procedure (it is irrelevant due to the possible outcome), or any physical/electrical/software related issues ultimately ruling out the option of ejection by the pilot,

These are not theories fuelled by certain desires, but rather setting up observation-based logic. My thread has no relation with the desired/non-desired developments/scenarios and the satisfaction/dissatisfaction over the conclusion of Episode 12 or behind the scenes production dynamics. My intention is to ask if my thesis is logically/completely/partially correct, or false in any degree. I would be happy if you people could enlighten me, or feel free to share your thoughts on this topic.

PS. English is not my native language, I’m sorry if there are any incomprehensibility or grammar issues.

i agree too, Ash death was totally pointless, it was just a plot decision OMG, I didn't like how it ended at all, what a dumb and sad ending, I don't accept it. 😔
Sep 7, 7:26 AM

Jan 2008
On a purely technical level, it should be worth mentioning that we have a few examples of ejection systems being either jammed or non-functional.

I appreciate that you've taken the time to do a technology-based analysis, though Ash himself didn't mention the ejection system, so that wasn't his primary concern.

Therefore, it's a pity that no such effort has been invested in trying to analyze the situation from the character's perspective, rather than based on what the audience wants.
Sep 7, 2:54 PM

Apr 2018
he can't eject. His seat got jammed when they took that massive fall during the fight
Sep 7, 3:34 PM
Jan 2022
Dragevard said:
he can't eject. His seat got jammed when they took that massive fall during the fight

Still, he could have been saved by Sakuya then.
Sep 7, 4:10 PM

Apr 2018
Reply to cgnmx
Dragevard said:

Still, he could have been saved by Sakuya then.
@cgnmx it's jammed, it can't be opened. Also sakuya is low on fuel
Sep 7, 4:20 PM
Jan 2022
Dragevard said:

Still, she could tear off and pull Ash's cockpit by force, and I'm pretty sure that it would take much less time than watching Ash's knightmare descend till the explosion and then cry for his death in mid-air.

Also, I just rewatched the scene they fell, and could not see any exact indication that anything hatch-related is damaged at all. Actually, there isn't any mention of hatch damage, or attempt over the issue.
cgnmxSep 7, 4:27 PM
Sep 7, 4:50 PM

Apr 2018
Reply to cgnmx
Dragevard said:

Still, she could tear off and pull Ash's cockpit by force, and I'm pretty sure that it would take much less time than watching Ash's knightmare descend till the explosion and then cry for his death in mid-air.

Also, I just rewatched the scene they fell, and could not see any exact indication that anything hatch-related is damaged at all. Actually, there isn't any mention of hatch damage, or attempt over the issue.
@cgnmx sakuya's unit is a non combat unit
Sep 7, 4:53 PM
Jan 2022
Dragevard said:

Dude if it is strong enough to bulk carry Ash's unit, then it has enough power potential to just separate the hatch by force, at least in my opinion.
Sep 7, 5:19 PM

Apr 2018
Reply to cgnmx
Dragevard said:

Dude if it is strong enough to bulk carry Ash's unit, then it has enough power potential to just separate the hatch by force, at least in my opinion.
@cgnmx remember, she is low on fuel
Sep 7, 5:45 PM
Jan 2022
Dragevard said:

I already stated my opinion/observation over that issue. Again, if she has enough fuel to watch him die and cry in air, then she has enough fuel to break him out instead.
Sep 7, 6:09 PM

Apr 2018
Reply to cgnmx
Dragevard said:

I already stated my opinion/observation over that issue. Again, if she has enough fuel to watch him die and cry in air, then she has enough fuel to break him out instead.
@cgnmx She only have enough to land and idling in the air doesn't use much fuel
Sep 7, 6:13 PM
Jan 2022
Dragevard said:
@cgnmx She only have enough to land and idling in the air doesn't use much fuel

yeah you r right :)
Sep 7, 10:34 PM
Feb 2016
this seriously pissed me off so much. not only was it rushed but it was pointless. justice for my boi Ash
Sep 7, 10:40 PM
Jan 2023
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!!!!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

InfinityDude88 - Jul 5

51 by Phraze »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé Episode 3 Discussion

FarCritical - Jul 5

46 by Phraze »»
Yesterday, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Jun 21

88 by Phraze »»
Oct 14, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

anime-prime - Sep 6

107 by mat619 »»
Oct 14, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FarCritical - Aug 23

51 by StarNightwatcher »»
Oct 11, 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.