Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2:24 AM
Dec 2008
I'm watching through Combattler V, slowly, because of how omnipresent it is in the SRW franchise and how it seems to be foundational for later super robot stuff. I figured it might be worth recording more thoughts on an episode-by-episode basis since there's so little discussion of this series on the English-language web.

The Robot Romance Trilogy is somewhat known for upping the quality of storytelling in super robot shows. This episode seems to be showing hints of this, though in a lot of ways it's weaker than the episodes we've already seen. It's what feels like the first real character spotlight episode, focusing on Kosuke the boy genius, as he stresses out about his parents and how his scientist father frets about the pollution of the lake his lab sits on. This stress makes it difficult for him to act as a mech pilot and there's squabbles among the team about it. Later, Kosuke's parents are injured by the monster of the week, which gets him at his lowest, until he springs back into action upon encouragement from his mother.

The monster of the week gets a funny visual gag during his fight that I won't spoil but otherwise doesn't feel remarkable.

What's particularly interesting here for this sort of show is how it's open at either end. It kind of dips into things in media res with Kosuke's family life. Then it doesn't really resolve the threads it's brought up about lake pollution or Kosuke's parents' injuries. This show doesn't feel like it should be particularly continuity-heavy, but it's already been willing to kill off characters with injuries that I honestly didn't think would be referenced again after they first occurred. So— I'm ready to be surprised at what they bring back week-to-week.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chou Denji Robo Combattler V Episode 44 Discussion

VVill - Jun 17, 2021

1 by Paperypip »»
Jun 4, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Chou Denji Robo Combattler V Episode 26 Discussion

Paperypip - May 27

0 by Paperypip »»
May 27, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Chou Denji Robo Combattler V Episode 25 Discussion

Paperypip - May 27

0 by Paperypip »»
May 27, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Chou Denji Robo Combattler V Episode 24 Discussion

Paperypip - May 26

0 by Paperypip »»
May 26, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Chou Denji Robo Combattler V Episode 23 Discussion

Paperypip - May 26

0 by Paperypip »»
May 26, 9:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.