Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2:19 PM

May 2016
Hello there,

This is SciADV_Maniac, long time Science Adventure series fan (which includes Steins;Gate). People who are reading the Steins;Gate forums on MAL probably saw my name a lot of times. I'm reading these forums time to time and try to answer the questions by others regarding Steins;Gate.

I planned to write an essay here since I've finished the recently released Anonymous;Code, because it recontextualized the franchise, and cleared up a lot of things regarding the mechanics presented in Steins;Gate Movie: The Load Region of Deja Vu - mechanics which Steins;Gate fans (including myself in the past as well) regarded as "breaking the lore established in Steins;Gate". In reality, there is nothing in the movie that contradicts the lore established in previous Science Adventure titles - Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, and their side materials. Simply not all the necessary materials were available to English speaking fans, so they lacked the context required to understand the movie. With the recent localization of the 2009 visual novel Chaos;Head Noah, and the release of the latest entry, Anonymous;Code, and one particular Drama CD from the past called "A Posteriori Existence" which accompanied the movie back then, every information is available now.

Thankfully, my fellow Science Adventure fan, @Sharingan123412 made a very enlightening video where he explains in detail how the mechanics presented in the movie do not break any previously established lore, and the movie is in fact canon. Please note that the video's 2nd half contains spoilers from the entire Science Adventure series. The first half of the video is perfectly safe for anyone, who only knows Steins;Gate. Please enjoy! If you have any questions or something is not clear, me and Sharingan will gladly answer!

-
Apr 21, 2:40 PM
Sep 2019
Oh damn this is news to me. I thought the movie was always canon
Apr 21, 2:46 PM
Nov 2023
SciADV_Maniac said:
Hello there,

This is SciADV_Maniac, long time Science Adventure series fan (which includes Steins;Gate). People who are reading the Steins;Gate forums on MAL probably saw my name a lot of times. I'm reading these forums time to time and try to answer the questions by others regarding Steins;Gate.

I planned to write an essay here since I've finished the recently released Anonymous;Code, because it recontextualized the franchise, and cleared up a lot of things regarding the mechanics presented in Steins;Gate Movie: The Load Region of Deja Vu - mechanics which Steins;Gate fans (including myself in the past as well) regarded as "breaking the lore established in Steins;Gate". In reality, there is nothing in the movie that contradicts the lore established in previous Science Adventure titles - Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, and their side materials. Simply not all the necessary materials were available to English speaking fans, so they lacked the context required to understand the movie. With the recent localization of the 2009 visual novel Chaos;Head Noah, and the release of the latest entry, Anonymous;Code, and one particular Drama CD from the past called "A Posteriori Existence" which accompanied the movie back then, every information is available now.

Thankfully, my fellow Science Adventure fan, @Sharingan123412 made a very enlightening video where he explains in detail how the mechanics presented in the movie do not break any previously established lore, and the movie is in fact canon. Please note that the video's 2nd half contains spoilers from the entire Science Adventure series. The first half of the video is perfectly safe for anyone, who only knows Steins;Gate. Please enjoy! If you have any questions or something is not clear, me and Sharingan will gladly answer!

I mean, Anonymous;Code makes everything canon so…
Apr 21, 2:52 PM

May 2016
Reply to Cyaudrein
@Cyaudrein Well you look into plenty of the threads in the movie's subpage, a lot of people says it's not canon because in the movie, there seemingly 2 worldlines being active at the same time (the R and the Steins Gate) which contradicts to the established lore that only 1 worldline is active at once. However, the "R worldline" is not an actual worldline - this explained more detailed in the video.

@RegexShinobi
-
Apr 21, 2:52 PM
Aug 2018
It's good to have confirmation on that! I always treated it as canon because I love it so much and the mechanics didn't seem too out of the realm of possibility.
Apr 21, 3:44 PM
Nov 2023
SciADV_Maniac said:
@Cyaudrein Well you look into plenty of the threads in the movie's subpage, a lot of people says it's not canon because in the movie, there seemingly 2 worldlines being active at the same time (the R and the Steins Gate) which contradicts to the established lore that only 1 worldline is active at once. However, the "R worldline" is not an actual worldline - this explained more detailed in the video.

@RegexShinobi

I love this franchise. The subtle overarching elements of each series is a nice bonus
Apr 21, 7:13 PM

Jan 2021
Cyaudrein said:

Same. And I don't understand why most people think it's not canon.
🎃 Main Candies:
🎃 Bonus Candies:
Apr 21, 11:37 PM

May 2016
Reply to HarusakiYorokobi
Cyaudrein said:

Same. And I don't understand why most people think it's not canon.
@HarusakiYorokobi
If you look into plenty of the threads in the movie's subpage, a lot of people says it's not canon because in the movie, there are seemingly 2 worldlines being active at the same time (the R and the Steins Gate) which contradicts to the established lore that only 1 worldline is active at once. However, the "R worldline" is not an actual worldline - this explained more detailed in the video.
-
Apr 22, 10:04 AM
Feb 2021
I always assumed that this was cannon.
Apr 22, 10:15 AM

May 2016
Reply to DoobieSam
I always assumed that this was cannon.
@DoobieSam
If you look into plenty of the threads in the movie's subpage, a lot of people says it's not canon because in the movie, there are seemingly 2 worldlines being active at the same time (the R and the Steins Gate) which contradicts to the established lore that only 1 worldline is active at once. However, the "R worldline" is not an actual worldline - this explained more detailed in the video.
-
Apr 22, 6:40 PM
May 2022
lol I don't even care about public opinion
its always been canon for me 🗿
Apr 25, 6:26 AM

Feb 2020
Thanks for spreading the word on MAL like usual.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Sep 12, 8:41 PM

Dec 2008
No, the way the movie changes the rules of timeline alteration is indeed inconsistent with previous depictions. If simply "not being able to recognize the current timeline as the real world" was enough of an inconsistency to make Okabe disappear, then this would have happened in the Beta timeline (Steins;Gate 0), given that Beta-timeline Okabe had experienced everything that the movie Okabe had, but was also so incapable of coping with losing Kurisu that he had to rely on drugs and an AI companion to achieve some level of minimal stability. Yet Beta-timeline Okabe managed to live 15 years without disappearing, a fact that is in direct conflict with the concept that the movie is centered around.

And we know Steins;Gate 0 is canon to Steins;Gate, because it explains the most fundamental plot twist in the game, which is already foreshadowed in the beginning of the first game / the first episode of the anime. So if Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are considered canon, then the movie is not canon. If the movie is considered canon, then Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are not canon.
Sep 12, 11:34 PM

May 2016
Reply to VVayfarer
No, the way the movie changes the rules of timeline alteration is indeed inconsistent with previous depictions. If simply "not being able to recognize the current timeline as the real world" was enough of an inconsistency to make Okabe disappear, then this would have happened in the Beta timeline (Steins;Gate 0), given that Beta-timeline Okabe had experienced everything that the movie Okabe had, but was also so incapable of coping with losing Kurisu that he had to rely on drugs and an AI companion to achieve some level of minimal stability. Yet Beta-timeline Okabe managed to live 15 years without disappearing, a fact that is in direct conflict with the concept that the movie is centered around.

And we know Steins;Gate 0 is canon to Steins;Gate, because it explains the most fundamental plot twist in the game, which is already foreshadowed in the beginning of the first game / the first episode of the anime. So if Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are considered canon, then the movie is not canon. If the movie is considered canon, then Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are not canon.
@VVayfarer

Read SciADV. The movie is canon. Nothing what you said makes any sense by the way.

In the Beta worldline Okabe recognizes it as the real world. He doesn't have flashbacks where he thinks he is on a different worldline. This was by the way the point of 0, that Okabe literally accepted that he cannot save Kurisu. And then when he returned to his old self and started working on finding Steins Gate, yet again, he doesn't have the same problem. He has no time for PTSD bs like "oh maybe I'm not in the Beta worldline", like he does in the movie.

Also, by the way, in Episode 23 beta, he also disappears for a brief moment
-
Sep 13, 12:31 AM

Dec 2008
Reply to SciADV_Maniac
@VVayfarer

Read SciADV. The movie is canon. Nothing what you said makes any sense by the way.

In the Beta worldline Okabe recognizes it as the real world. He doesn't have flashbacks where he thinks he is on a different worldline. This was by the way the point of 0, that Okabe literally accepted that he cannot save Kurisu. And then when he returned to his old self and started working on finding Steins Gate, yet again, he doesn't have the same problem. He has no time for PTSD bs like "oh maybe I'm not in the Beta worldline", like he does in the movie.

Also, by the way, in Episode 23 beta, he also disappears for a brief moment
@SciADV_Maniac

He doesn't have any flashbacks where he thinks he is on a different worldline... because that concept was invented in the movie. The hallucinations, and the idea that they alone could affect the world line, were a movie-original element. Nothing of the sort is touched upon in either of the main games. Okabe does have flashbacks to Alpha timeline events throughout Steins;Gate 0, e.g. when he sees Kiryu Moeka, so if this disappearance mechanism was actually a thing, we would expect it to have activated several times throughout the 15 years Okabe lived in the Beta timeline.

The point of S;G 0 is not that Okabe has accepted everything. It's the exact opposite: Okabe trying to convince himself that he simply has to live with the hand he has been dealt. He does this because he doesn't want to go through the cycle of suffering he experienced in the Alpha-timeline, especially given that he believes it would not never work anyway. But in reality he could never accept the result, hence the drugs, hence his infatuation with Amadeus, and hence, ultimately, Operation Skuld. Evidently Skuld would never have manifested if Okabe had actually accepted the worldline as his permanent reality.

Episode 23 Beta isn't fully canon (the ending scene, for instance, never happens in the story as depicted, neither in the Steins;Gate 0 game nor in the anime). I also don't remember any scene where he would disappear and reappear; I think you're referring to the part where he was lying down, and in the next moment, we see that he is gone, and his labcoat on the floor, but this scene could be interpreted as him simply having left to meet Mayuri. Either way he never disappears in Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0.

The games are very consistent in their depiction of Reading Steiner and timeline alteration. Namely, timelines can only be altered by physical world-changing events, to the extent that even physical actions are unlikely to make a difference (small changes will simply be eliminated via automatic minor adjustments made by the world). Never mind simply rejecting reality in one's mind; if that was enough to alter the timeline, surely crazy people who believe dreams are visions of alternative realities would be disappearing left and right, and Okabe would presumably have noticed this.

And Reading Steiner is consistently depicted as a skill that only activates when a timeline has been severely altered, and it purely functions as a way for people like Okabe to maintain memories of previous timelines. I.e., Reading Steiner never activates unless somebody uses a time machine. There is not a single instance that would contradict this point in either of the main games.

I remember Chaos;Child alluding to Kurisu. But Steins;Gate is a self-contained series; there's no indication that any plot mechanics from other SciADV series would have had a relevant impact on any of the events at any point. And it would be poor writing if they did; given that nothing in the Steins;Gate story (nor even the movie, for that matter) gives any indication that the player/viewer would need knowledge of other series to understand what's happening.

And the way the movie changes the depiction of Reading Steiner does appear to indicate that poor writing was indeed a factor. The consistency of how Reading Steiner is depicted as a plot mechanic is exactly what makes the Gehenna (Valley of Hinnom) sequence in S;G 0 so excellent----exactly because the player understands immediately what has happened. The scene is perfect because it's completely out of the blue (especially given the stark contrast to everything that precedes it) and given that it seems conceptually unbelievable (it seems far too early for that type of development) yet simultaneously it is impossible to deny because the game literally shows you Reading Steiner activating and gives you the new divergence value, which never, ever happens in the story without the concomitant activation of a time machine. But I remember watching one of my favorite LPers completely miss the point, thinking that it was some sort of a dream sequence, apparently because he had watched the movie before playing S;G 0. In effect, watching the movie first can effectively ruin what would otherwise possibly be the most epic scene in Steins;Gate as a whole.

So not only is the movie not canon, but it is poorly integrated with the rest of the story. As such, it seems abundantly clear that it wasn't originally a part of the Steins;Gate story, and was instead conceived after the script of S;G 0 had been largely finalized, as a fanservice episode. This would explain why the writers saw no problem with pulling new mechanics out of thin air with little to no explanation (in the movie or in the games) and why the story displays little to no regard for intra-series consistency.
Sep 13, 8:26 AM
Jan 2017
Reply to VVayfarer
@SciADV_Maniac

He doesn't have any flashbacks where he thinks he is on a different worldline... because that concept was invented in the movie. The hallucinations, and the idea that they alone could affect the world line, were a movie-original element. Nothing of the sort is touched upon in either of the main games. Okabe does have flashbacks to Alpha timeline events throughout Steins;Gate 0, e.g. when he sees Kiryu Moeka, so if this disappearance mechanism was actually a thing, we would expect it to have activated several times throughout the 15 years Okabe lived in the Beta timeline.

The point of S;G 0 is not that Okabe has accepted everything. It's the exact opposite: Okabe trying to convince himself that he simply has to live with the hand he has been dealt. He does this because he doesn't want to go through the cycle of suffering he experienced in the Alpha-timeline, especially given that he believes it would not never work anyway. But in reality he could never accept the result, hence the drugs, hence his infatuation with Amadeus, and hence, ultimately, Operation Skuld. Evidently Skuld would never have manifested if Okabe had actually accepted the worldline as his permanent reality.

Episode 23 Beta isn't fully canon (the ending scene, for instance, never happens in the story as depicted, neither in the Steins;Gate 0 game nor in the anime). I also don't remember any scene where he would disappear and reappear; I think you're referring to the part where he was lying down, and in the next moment, we see that he is gone, and his labcoat on the floor, but this scene could be interpreted as him simply having left to meet Mayuri. Either way he never disappears in Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0.

The games are very consistent in their depiction of Reading Steiner and timeline alteration. Namely, timelines can only be altered by physical world-changing events, to the extent that even physical actions are unlikely to make a difference (small changes will simply be eliminated via automatic minor adjustments made by the world). Never mind simply rejecting reality in one's mind; if that was enough to alter the timeline, surely crazy people who believe dreams are visions of alternative realities would be disappearing left and right, and Okabe would presumably have noticed this.

And Reading Steiner is consistently depicted as a skill that only activates when a timeline has been severely altered, and it purely functions as a way for people like Okabe to maintain memories of previous timelines. I.e., Reading Steiner never activates unless somebody uses a time machine. There is not a single instance that would contradict this point in either of the main games.

I remember Chaos;Child alluding to Kurisu. But Steins;Gate is a self-contained series; there's no indication that any plot mechanics from other SciADV series would have had a relevant impact on any of the events at any point. And it would be poor writing if they did; given that nothing in the Steins;Gate story (nor even the movie, for that matter) gives any indication that the player/viewer would need knowledge of other series to understand what's happening.

And the way the movie changes the depiction of Reading Steiner does appear to indicate that poor writing was indeed a factor. The consistency of how Reading Steiner is depicted as a plot mechanic is exactly what makes the Gehenna (Valley of Hinnom) sequence in S;G 0 so excellent----exactly because the player understands immediately what has happened. The scene is perfect because it's completely out of the blue (especially given the stark contrast to everything that precedes it) and given that it seems conceptually unbelievable (it seems far too early for that type of development) yet simultaneously it is impossible to deny because the game literally shows you Reading Steiner activating and gives you the new divergence value, which never, ever happens in the story without the concomitant activation of a time machine. But I remember watching one of my favorite LPers completely miss the point, thinking that it was some sort of a dream sequence, apparently because he had watched the movie before playing S;G 0. In effect, watching the movie first can effectively ruin what would otherwise possibly be the most epic scene in Steins;Gate as a whole.

So not only is the movie not canon, but it is poorly integrated with the rest of the story. As such, it seems abundantly clear that it wasn't originally a part of the Steins;Gate story, and was instead conceived after the script of S;G 0 had been largely finalized, as a fanservice episode. This would explain why the writers saw no problem with pulling new mechanics out of thin air with little to no explanation (in the movie or in the games) and why the story displays little to no regard for intra-series consistency.
@VVayfarer too lazy to read it all but, you know SciADV is a thing, Steins;Gate isn't a self-contained series at all...
For Episode 23 Beta's thing, you know the Steins;Gate anime (not even talking about 0) has already different events from its original visual novel, so doesn't that make it non-canon then ?
And a little tip before I left: the movie released after the beginning of the Epigraph Trilogy that later turned into Steins;Gate 0 (which is why you can see the names of Maho Hiyajō and Alexis Leskinen on some scientific papers in the movie).
Sep 13, 8:50 AM

Dec 2008
Reply to ArkifixYT
@VVayfarer too lazy to read it all but, you know SciADV is a thing, Steins;Gate isn't a self-contained series at all...
For Episode 23 Beta's thing, you know the Steins;Gate anime (not even talking about 0) has already different events from its original visual novel, so doesn't that make it non-canon then ?
And a little tip before I left: the movie released after the beginning of the Epigraph Trilogy that later turned into Steins;Gate 0 (which is why you can see the names of Maho Hiyajō and Alexis Leskinen on some scientific papers in the movie).
@ArkifixYT

Steins;Gate is self-contained, to the point where the only thing that diverges from this self-containment is the movie. Everything in Steins;Gate is explained within Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0, and everything within Steins;Gate 0 is explained within either Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0. Not only is the movie the only part of the series that is poorly-integrated with the rest of the story, but nowhere is any indication given that knowledge of other titles in the SciADV franchise would be required to understand it, either. Which is why it comes off as a non-canon fanservice episode.

The same can be said of every other series in the SciADV franchise. E.g. everything in the Chaos series is explained within the Chaos series, and you don't need to have played or watched Steins;Gate to understand any important plot mechanics in the series.

The Steins;Gate anime adaptation rarely diverges from the content of the game (although it leaves a good deal out). Anything in the anime that contradicts the game lore would technically be non-canon, but I don't recall there being any major differences between the two.

Based on the connection between Operation Skuld and Steins;Gate, it seems evident that the fundamental plot points of Steins;Gate 0 must have been outlined well before the release of the movie, likely even before the publication of the original Steins;Gate game. If I were to venture a guess, the reason it was only released much later was likely simply because the writers wanted more time to work on the finer details, and to gather enough of a budget for the voice acting and OST.

The movie, on the other hand, seems to have no relevant ties to the rest of the story, indicating that it was likely written afterward. And because there is no game version, we can infer that it was never intended to be integrated into the canon. The reason for this seems obvious enough---i.e., it doesn't mesh very well with the rest of the story.
Sep 13, 8:56 AM

May 2016
VVayfarer said:
If I were to venture a guess, the reason it was only released much later was likely simply because the writers wanted more time to work on the finer details, and to gather enough of a budget for the voice acting and OST.

Steins;Gate 0 merely exist because the launch of C;C was not good, sales weren't great. Hence they created a cashgrab quickly by turning already existing material into a VN - a pretty low budget VN, actually, it has glaring production issues compared to the rest of the series.

VVayfarer said:
And because there is no game version, we can infer that it was never intended to be integrated into the canon

https://www.kirikiribasara.com/2022/12/05/shikura-stream-highlights-new-sciadv-titles-anonymous-code-insights/

"The Steins;Gate sequel film, Load Region of Déjà Vu, was a story Shikura really wanted to make."

And oh boy, you are so wrong about many things (including the self contained mechanics of Steins;Gate), I will come back later to refute all of your points
-
Sep 13, 9:09 AM

Dec 2008
Reply to SciADV_Maniac
VVayfarer said:
If I were to venture a guess, the reason it was only released much later was likely simply because the writers wanted more time to work on the finer details, and to gather enough of a budget for the voice acting and OST.

Steins;Gate 0 merely exist because the launch of C;C was not good, sales weren't great. Hence they created a cashgrab quickly by turning already existing material into a VN - a pretty low budget VN, actually, it has glaring production issues compared to the rest of the series.

VVayfarer said:
And because there is no game version, we can infer that it was never intended to be integrated into the canon

https://www.kirikiribasara.com/2022/12/05/shikura-stream-highlights-new-sciadv-titles-anonymous-code-insights/

"The Steins;Gate sequel film, Load Region of Déjà Vu, was a story Shikura really wanted to make."

And oh boy, you are so wrong about many things (including the self contained mechanics of Steins;Gate), I will come back later to refute all of your points
SciADV_Maniac said:

So the article says, but I followed the original link and I couldn't find the source. The video is gone. So we have no context regarding what he meant, and whether he thought the movie ended up matching his expectations.

Not to mention that Shikura wasn't the main writer of the scenario. That would be Hayashi Naotaka (with Vio Shimokura). And if Shikura was content with the state of the movie at its release, then we can already infer that he wasn't one to be particularly concerned with internal plot consistency.
Sep 13, 9:16 AM

May 2016
Reply to VVayfarer
SciADV_Maniac said:

So the article says, but I followed the original link and I couldn't find the source. The video is gone. So we have no context regarding what he meant, and whether he thought the movie ended up matching his expectations.

Not to mention that Shikura wasn't the main writer of the scenario. That would be Hayashi Naotaka (with Vio Shimokura). And if Shikura was content with the state of the movie at its release, then we can already infer that he wasn't one to be particularly concerned with internal plot consistency.
@VVayfarer Bruh, Shikura to SciADV is like George Lucas to the original SW movies 💀

The movie is consistent with the previously laid down SciADV mechanics.

The japanese summary of the stream is linked in the article, but it was a nice try
-
Sep 13, 9:33 AM

Dec 2008
Reply to SciADV_Maniac
@VVayfarer Bruh, Shikura to SciADV is like George Lucas to the original SW movies 💀

The movie is consistent with the previously laid down SciADV mechanics.

The japanese summary of the stream is linked in the article, but it was a nice try
@SciADV_Maniac

Shikura came up with the idea, but Hayashi and Shimokura did the bulk of the actual writing, including working out the plot mechanics. Which is the core of the canon, and exactly the reason why the movie is largely not considered as such. If you google 'シュタゲ シナリオライター' in Japanese, you'll find that Hayashi is typically given most of the credit.

Again, the issue is that the movie isn't internally consistent with the rest of the Steins;Gate series. If it was called SciADV The Movie − Load Region of Déjà Vu then there would be no problem, but that's not what it's called. To reiterate: everything in Steins;Gate is explained in Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0; everything in Steins;Gate 0 is explained in Steins;Gate 0 or Steins;Gate; yet the main plot devices of the Steins;Gate movie are only explained in the movie and are never touched upon in the rest of the series.

The Japanese summary says exactly one thing about the movie: "STEINS;GATE 負荷領域のデジャヴはどうしても作りたかった作品". That's literally it. So again, no context. Refer to the above.
Sep 13, 10:04 AM

Nov 2015
I think if you want to keep arguing with this guy, you'll have to establish what the SciADV series is, what is Chiyomaru's role in it, how each story in the series builds upon mechanics and themes previously established in previous parts, and its dependence on side materials which are not simple adaptations of its source material. It might be obvious to someone who is familiar with the series as a whole like us, but this guy seems to have fundamental misunderstandings about every point I've listed right now, and I don't blame them since they don't seem to be super interested in the subject. After all, most people interpreted the movie as "breaking the established rules" before people more familiar with the rest of the series started speaking up.

If they don't understand where you're coming from, then this discussion will never end and they'll keep repeating the same points over and over without understanding why they're wrong.

And for VVayfarer, try keeping an open mind about things. You seem to have a lot of preconceptions about the movie and the overall Science Adventure series that you don't want to give up on in any way. For example, you seem to be too hung up on thinking "this cannot work because it's not canon" which is backwards. Instead of trying to justify why it can't work because it can't be canon, try to forget the preconception that it isn't canon, even if just for the sake of argument. Instead of thinking "this series is fully self-contained, and so I cannot accept any explanation from other parts", try thinking "this is a part of a bigger series, and so some elements first presented here might be laying the groundwork for future titles that will elaborate more on this mechanic later".

I don't have the patience to explain the entirety of this series to you right here and right now, but I hope I could provide you with the point of view of someone who's played most of the games in this series. Because this movie absolutely is canon, and I believe this is just a communication issue.
Sep 13, 10:19 AM
Jan 2017
Reply to VVayfarer
@SciADV_Maniac

Shikura came up with the idea, but Hayashi and Shimokura did the bulk of the actual writing, including working out the plot mechanics. Which is the core of the canon, and exactly the reason why the movie is largely not considered as such. If you google 'シュタゲ シナリオライター' in Japanese, you'll find that Hayashi is typically given most of the credit.

Again, the issue is that the movie isn't internally consistent with the rest of the Steins;Gate series. If it was called SciADV The Movie − Load Region of Déjà Vu then there would be no problem, but that's not what it's called. To reiterate: everything in Steins;Gate is explained in Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0; everything in Steins;Gate 0 is explained in Steins;Gate 0 or Steins;Gate; yet the main plot devices of the Steins;Gate movie are only explained in the movie and are never touched upon in the rest of the series.

The Japanese summary says exactly one thing about the movie: "STEINS;GATE 負荷領域のデジャヴはどうしても作りたかった作品". That's literally it. So again, no context. Refer to the above.
VVayfarer said:
Shikura came up with the idea, but Hayashi and Shimokura did the bulk of the actual writing, including working out the plot mechanics.

Same goes for the VN itself you know, and so @SciADV_Maniac told you with Chiyomaru Shikura being the Georges Lucas of SciADV.

VVayfarer said:
If it was called SciADV The Movie − Load Region of Déjà Vu then there would be no problem, but that's not what it's called. To reiterate: everything in Steins;Gate is explained in Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0; everything in Steins;Gate 0 is explained in Steins;Gate 0 or Steins;Gate; yet the main plot devices of the Steins;Gate movie are only explained in the movie and are never touched upon in the rest of the series.

Then would Steins;Gate better be called Chaos;Head 2? ^^

The Science Adventure Series is the series and the franchise, Steins;Gate is only a sub-series to the universe, hence the 2nd SciADV main entry. I won't spoil anything but many of Steins;Gate's mechanics originates from Chaos;Head (the first main entry) or are developed from them. The point is, the thing you think of being inconsistent, and that everyone also thought before, is something already "teased" since Chaos;Head, which also is developed in the Steins;Gate VN itself, and in several entries and stuff afterward. Furthermore, if you didn't watch the entire first part of the video linked upper in the topic, I suggest you to do it since the very explanation about it is there with the part I translated myself (and I assure you I didn't cooked anything and translated the thing making sure I don't forget a single word. A thing that unfortunately isn't even explained in the movie itself, but in its adaptation lol

You can try to deny what you want, but written or not by Chiyomaru Shikura itself (since he never wrote anything in SciADV but most of its songs' lyrics to my knowledge), it was still written by the same people who wrote the Steins;Gate visual novel, and I even explained to you that the inconsistency was only one because the movie itself wants to deceive you and to confirm it with other medias (like those released with the Blu-ray version of the movie, or just the other movie adaptations). It always worked that way with SciADV, and probably will forever ^^
Sep 13, 4:13 PM

May 2016
VVayfarer said:
The hallucinations, and the idea that they alone could affect the world line, were a movie-original element

Except, the very first game in the series, which came out 5 years before the movie and even before Steins;Gate, Chaos;Head features

So "hallucinations" could cause worldline divergence, a long before Steins;Gate was even a thing.

VVayfarer said:
Okabe does have flashbacks to Alpha timeline events throughout Steins;Gate 0, e.g. when he sees Kiryu Moeka, so if this disappearance mechanism was actually a thing, we would expect it to have activated several times throughout the 15 years Okabe lived in the Beta timeline

Except, that's not how it works. In the Steins Gate worldline, Okabe spends significantly more time in that desynchronized state when he can't process the fact, that he isn't in the Alpha or the Beta worldline anymore.

Anonymous;Code:

Nothing sort of happens in 0, he has one or 2 flashbacks to Alpha and that's it. His PTSD comes from killing Kurisu, which happened in the worldline where he is at the moment.

VVayfarer said:
Evidently Skuld would never have manifested if Okabe had actually accepted the worldline as his permanent reality.

I don't have the direct quote right now, but he did say something similar about the Beta worldline: "this isn't a wasted worldline, but a worldline we need. It's part of the journey to Steins Gate. We cannot get there at once, but through countless failed pasts and futures"

This means that he accepted that these worldlines are indeed his temporary reality, and they are necessary to go through to find Steins Gate. And it turned out it really needs hundreds of iterations to reach that worldline.

VVayfarer said:
Episode 23 Beta isn't fully canon

Who decided that?

VVayfarer said:
I think you're referring to the part where he was lying down, and in the next moment, we see that he is gone, and his labcoat on the floor, but this scene could be interpreted as him simply having left to meet Mayuri

In the very same scene we see that world becomes monochrome, which lines up with how

Anonymous;Code/Occultic;Nine/Steins;Gate: Variant Space Octet

VVayfarer said:
Never mind simply rejecting reality in one's mind; if that was enough to alter the timeline

Nobody ever claimed that. Also Okabe's case is a little bit different than an average guy who just went crazy. Okabe became like this due to interfering too much with the predetermined state of the world, while someone who just went crazy in the literal sense of the world, that wad already part of the predetermined future.

VVayfarer said:
Reading Steiner never activates unless somebody uses a time machine.

This is just simply untrue and I can give you at least 3 examples when it activated without using any form of time travel:
- when Okabe deletes the first D-Mail from Echelon
- when they are removing Kurisu's memories from Kagari in 0
- when Okabe meets Amadeus in the "Soviet Worldline" in 0

VVayfarer said:
But Steins;Gate is a self-contained series; there's no indication that any plot mechanics from other SciADV series would have had a relevant impact on any of the events at any point

Oh, there are plenty of mechanics in S;G and 0 that wouldn't work without certain SciADV lore and mechanics. I'll come back to this point later

VVayfarer said:
nothing in the Steins;Gate story (nor even the movie, for that matter) gives any indication that the player/viewer would need knowledge of other series to understand what's happening.

It's not "other series". It's the same series. Steins;Gate is merely a 2nd part of SciADV. Like the Iron Man movies are part of MCU.

VVayfarer said:
And the way the movie changes the depiction of Reading Steiner

The movie did not change the depiction of Reading Steiner. There is not a single time when RS activates in it, as far is I remember. So I am really confused here what do you mean.

VVayfarer said:
But I remember watching one of my favorite LPers completely miss the point, thinking that it was some sort of a dream sequence, apparently because he had watched the movie before playing S;G 0. In effect, watching the movie first can effectively ruin what would otherwise possibly be the most epic scene in Steins;Gate as a whole.

You surely cannot propose this as an argument against the movies' canonicity, that your favourite let's player misunderstood something in 0. I also fail to see what is this having to do with the movie. What happens in the movie is completely unrelated to this sequence of the game.

VVayfarer said:
As such, it seems abundantly clear that it wasn't originally a part of the Steins;Gate story, and was instead conceived after the script of S;G 0 had been largely finalized

I think we already debunked this.

VVayfarer said:
Everything in Steins;Gate is explained within Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0, and everything within Steins;Gate 0 is explained within either Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0.

Explain then the following stuff solely based on Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0:
- Why is it possible to digitize human memories?
- How is it possible that despite Kurisu designed the time leap machine to just send back memory data in time, it actually sends back the consciousness of the time leaper?
- How is it possible that Amadeus (a program, not a human being) experiences Reading Steiner?
- How is it possible that Okabe's digitized memories literally had lived their own life on a hard drive, separately from the physical Okabe?

VVayfarer said:
The same can be said of every other series in the SciADV franchise. E.g. everything in the Chaos series is explained within the Chaos series

Explain this from Chaos;Head Noah then, you can only use knowledge derived from the Chaos; games

VVayfarer said:
Based on the connection between Operation Skuld and Steins;Gate, it seems evident that the fundamental plot points of Steins;Gate 0 must have been outlined well before the release of the movie, likely even before the publication of the original Steins;Gate game. If I were to venture a guess, the reason it was only released much later was likely simply because the writers wanted more time to work on the finer details, and to gather enough of a budget for the voice acting and OST.

Already debunked.

VVayfarer said:
The movie, on the other hand, seems to have no relevant ties to the rest of the story

Somehow, it has direct ties and shares various lore elements with other entries in the series... Octet, Noah, Anonymous;Code, Occultic;Nine...

VVayfarer said:
Not to mention that Shikura wasn't the main writer of the scenario. That would be Hayashi Naotaka

Shikura is the creator of SciADV, and the main man behind the franchise. He was the one who pitched the concept of the movie to White Fox. Hayashi Naotaka is also the guy who wrote most of the scenarios in the franchise. So I really wonder what makes you think that the main creators of the franchise doesn't actually understand their own franchise... A franchise that has a deep planning from the very beginning, by the way, where the latest entry reflects on stuff that was hinted already 13 years prior to its release.
-
Sep 13, 5:06 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to SciADV_Maniac
VVayfarer said:
The hallucinations, and the idea that they alone could affect the world line, were a movie-original element

Except, the very first game in the series, which came out 5 years before the movie and even before Steins;Gate, Chaos;Head features

So "hallucinations" could cause worldline divergence, a long before Steins;Gate was even a thing.

VVayfarer said:
Okabe does have flashbacks to Alpha timeline events throughout Steins;Gate 0, e.g. when he sees Kiryu Moeka, so if this disappearance mechanism was actually a thing, we would expect it to have activated several times throughout the 15 years Okabe lived in the Beta timeline

Except, that's not how it works. In the Steins Gate worldline, Okabe spends significantly more time in that desynchronized state when he can't process the fact, that he isn't in the Alpha or the Beta worldline anymore.

Anonymous;Code:

Nothing sort of happens in 0, he has one or 2 flashbacks to Alpha and that's it. His PTSD comes from killing Kurisu, which happened in the worldline where he is at the moment.

VVayfarer said:
Evidently Skuld would never have manifested if Okabe had actually accepted the worldline as his permanent reality.

I don't have the direct quote right now, but he did say something similar about the Beta worldline: "this isn't a wasted worldline, but a worldline we need. It's part of the journey to Steins Gate. We cannot get there at once, but through countless failed pasts and futures"

This means that he accepted that these worldlines are indeed his temporary reality, and they are necessary to go through to find Steins Gate. And it turned out it really needs hundreds of iterations to reach that worldline.

VVayfarer said:
Episode 23 Beta isn't fully canon

Who decided that?

VVayfarer said:
I think you're referring to the part where he was lying down, and in the next moment, we see that he is gone, and his labcoat on the floor, but this scene could be interpreted as him simply having left to meet Mayuri

In the very same scene we see that world becomes monochrome, which lines up with how

Anonymous;Code/Occultic;Nine/Steins;Gate: Variant Space Octet

VVayfarer said:
Never mind simply rejecting reality in one's mind; if that was enough to alter the timeline

Nobody ever claimed that. Also Okabe's case is a little bit different than an average guy who just went crazy. Okabe became like this due to interfering too much with the predetermined state of the world, while someone who just went crazy in the literal sense of the world, that wad already part of the predetermined future.

VVayfarer said:
Reading Steiner never activates unless somebody uses a time machine.

This is just simply untrue and I can give you at least 3 examples when it activated without using any form of time travel:
- when Okabe deletes the first D-Mail from Echelon
- when they are removing Kurisu's memories from Kagari in 0
- when Okabe meets Amadeus in the "Soviet Worldline" in 0

VVayfarer said:
But Steins;Gate is a self-contained series; there's no indication that any plot mechanics from other SciADV series would have had a relevant impact on any of the events at any point

Oh, there are plenty of mechanics in S;G and 0 that wouldn't work without certain SciADV lore and mechanics. I'll come back to this point later

VVayfarer said:
nothing in the Steins;Gate story (nor even the movie, for that matter) gives any indication that the player/viewer would need knowledge of other series to understand what's happening.

It's not "other series". It's the same series. Steins;Gate is merely a 2nd part of SciADV. Like the Iron Man movies are part of MCU.

VVayfarer said:
And the way the movie changes the depiction of Reading Steiner

The movie did not change the depiction of Reading Steiner. There is not a single time when RS activates in it, as far is I remember. So I am really confused here what do you mean.

VVayfarer said:
But I remember watching one of my favorite LPers completely miss the point, thinking that it was some sort of a dream sequence, apparently because he had watched the movie before playing S;G 0. In effect, watching the movie first can effectively ruin what would otherwise possibly be the most epic scene in Steins;Gate as a whole.

You surely cannot propose this as an argument against the movies' canonicity, that your favourite let's player misunderstood something in 0. I also fail to see what is this having to do with the movie. What happens in the movie is completely unrelated to this sequence of the game.

VVayfarer said:
As such, it seems abundantly clear that it wasn't originally a part of the Steins;Gate story, and was instead conceived after the script of S;G 0 had been largely finalized

I think we already debunked this.

VVayfarer said:
Everything in Steins;Gate is explained within Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0, and everything within Steins;Gate 0 is explained within either Steins;Gate or Steins;Gate 0.

Explain then the following stuff solely based on Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0:
- Why is it possible to digitize human memories?
- How is it possible that despite Kurisu designed the time leap machine to just send back memory data in time, it actually sends back the consciousness of the time leaper?
- How is it possible that Amadeus (a program, not a human being) experiences Reading Steiner?
- How is it possible that Okabe's digitized memories literally had lived their own life on a hard drive, separately from the physical Okabe?

VVayfarer said:
The same can be said of every other series in the SciADV franchise. E.g. everything in the Chaos series is explained within the Chaos series

Explain this from Chaos;Head Noah then, you can only use knowledge derived from the Chaos; games

VVayfarer said:

Already debunked.

VVayfarer said:
The movie, on the other hand, seems to have no relevant ties to the rest of the story

Somehow, it has direct ties and shares various lore elements with other entries in the series... Octet, Noah, Anonymous;Code, Occultic;Nine...

VVayfarer said:
Not to mention that Shikura wasn't the main writer of the scenario. That would be Hayashi Naotaka

Shikura is the creator of SciADV, and the main man behind the franchise. He was the one who pitched the concept of the movie to White Fox. Hayashi Naotaka is also the guy who wrote most of the scenarios in the franchise. So I really wonder what makes you think that the main creators of the franchise doesn't actually understand their own franchise... A franchise that has a deep planning from the very beginning, by the way, where the latest entry reflects on stuff that was hinted already 13 years prior to its release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(sorry for the answer embed...)
VVayfarer said:
I think you're referring to the part where he was lying down, and in the next moment, we see that he is gone, and his labcoat on the floor, but this scene could be interpreted as him simply having left to meet Mayuri.

I think you merged the two scenes but either:
- the scene when we see his lab coat falling on the chair he just was, Okabe just disappeared. He didn't go to see Mayuri lmfao, he purely disappeared, and even from the world's memories and events at that very moment.
- the scene at the end of the movie when he receives a D-Mail from Kurisu (lol let's don't talk about it), when he progressively "moves" from the "R world line" to the reality.

SciADV_Maniac said:

For that one, you clearly see Okabe's time leap process in the VN. When you time leap, your past self receives your memories from when it came via a call, and your past self tries to cook the said memories, including the feelings you felt during those. So yeah it's basically your consciousness but not really.
ArkifixYTSep 13, 5:10 PM
Sep 13, 10:43 PM

May 2016
ArkifixYT said:
I think you merged the two scenes but either:
- the scene when we see his lab coat falling on the chair he just was, Okabe just disappeared. He didn't go to see Mayuri lmfao, he purely disappeared, and even from the world's memories and events at that very moment.
- the scene at the end of the movie when he receives a D-Mail from Kurisu (lol let's don't talk about it), when he progressively "moves" from the "R world line" to the reality.

Actually we were not talking about the movie here^^ but 23ẞ where I had a crackhead theory about a scene...

https://youtu.be/N0jnkT6oNMY?si=syvxmFdzAMFgwZvW

From 17:41 to 19:12. It appears like that Okabe disappears from the couch and before that there is a strange effect when everything monochrome.

ArkifixYT said:
For that one, you clearly see Okabe's time leap process in the VN. When you time leap, your past self receives your memories from when it came via a call, and your past self tries to cook the said memories, including the feelings you felt during those. So yeah it's basically your consciousness but not really.

With that question I just wanted to point out that in SciADV

SciADV_ManiacSep 13, 10:52 PM
-

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2013

432 by 7v_5 »»
Jun 24, 7:40 PM

» Canon?

mechian - Nov 7, 2013

13 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Apr 20, 12:56 PM

» Reason for kurisu's change of dress while meeting the younger okabe in the steins gate movie

Raajdeep - Jul 30, 2023

4 by Raajdeep »»
Jan 18, 6:00 PM

» Should i watch this?

BeanieWaferz - May 29, 2023

38 by Lemonov »»
Aug 26, 2023 10:46 AM

» Couldn't understand a scene

Raajdeep - Jul 30, 2023

14 by Gwennyn »»
Aug 1, 2023 8:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.