Forum Settings
Forums
Overlord
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2021 9:31 AM
Jul 2016
Jircniv and Ainz meat to discuss the issues of the raid an the future, Ainz dons the Sorcerer King mantle
Dec 6, 2021 4:23 PM

Jul 2009
I feel Jircniv has overlooked everything he thought himself.
  • He claims to recognize Ainz to be far above Fluder when it comes to magic.
  • He believes Ainz is at the level of demons from the past. Based on the theocracy's angel casting 7th-level holy smite, we can assume that's a bottom line for demons.
  • I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the other world has a book that holds a list of all 1st-10th level spells. I also remember it either listing the super tier spells or at the very least speaking of their existence.
    This index allows the nations of the world to be aware of all the 1st-10th level spells, and as a king, Jircniv should be aware of how dangerous the 5th-7th level spells Ainz is likely able to cast are.
  • Jircniv saw Ainz easily spawn a death knight and order it to fall in line with an expected already large number-an endless army cheat where all your allies become a part of the enemy.
  • Jircniv recognized Fluder's betrayal but with all betrayals, people find out too late. All of the empire at this point could literally be under Ainz's command and he's already plotting without checking what he still holds control of-he's mentally handicapped or something. Fluder could've used a magic bag to empty the palace's warehouse, the armory of every place in the empire and hand it over during this trip......................
  • Jircniv's talking to his entourage as if they were all loyal despite some or all of them being trained by Fluder. He should be unsure of their loyalty given this fact alone.

I could go on and on but I believe this emphasizes enough of my feelings-Jircniv is overlooking everything.
Mar 16, 2022 12:02 PM

May 2009
I gotta say, this is starting to get old. It started out kind of interesting and ended up in a holding pattern for a while. But now it's just the same old 'super over powered jackass' thing where the writer has to come up with contrived reasons for said jackass to hold back.

I liked it, but this was the chapter that broke me. It's showing all the signs of being the same lateral movement all the other ones of the same make have. Maybe if there is a significant change down the road I'll give it another try.

Edit:
So I don't even remember posting this and, given the post time, it looks like it was done at the asscrack of dawn. I was probably having another difficult night sleeping and just posted off the top of my head. I don't really visit here often enough to bother discussing things and I'm really not interested in a slap-fight with some dork. So, to summarize:

-The whole 'it's a game logic thing' is sort of irrelevant. The difference in power for the main cast is large enough that saying 'it's over 9000' would suffice. For all the hell it actually matters.
-Isekai tend to go one of four ways:
1. Guy is underpowered/unimpressive but has a skill/ability that makes them unique.
2. Guy is overpowered but still on somewhat even-ish ground with the worlds strongest.
3. Guy is so idiotically overpowered that the writer has to flip the story inside out to get something like a functioning narrative.
4. A peppering of the previous three points. Normally these are ones that are very subject specific focused, like 'I just want to cook or farm'.

Overlord is a unique case of number 3. It presents a lot of really nice moving parts, but they either don't hold up well or come off as pointless based on the raw fuck you strength of the main cast. The story just became flatly boring for me once it became obvious there is no actual challenge outside of 'reasons' to limit just blowing up something big to attract the attention of the people trying to be found.

I don't know. I'll come back to it next year when there are more chapters out to run through, maybe it'll pull a rabbit out of a hat. On my on-hold list for now.
JellySoupApr 1, 2022 12:51 AM
Mar 17, 2022 5:47 PM

Jul 2009
JellySoup said:
I gotta say, this is starting to get old. It started out kind of interesting and ended up in a holding pattern for a while. But now it's just the same old 'super over powered jackass' thing where the writer has to come up with contrived reasons for said jackass to hold back.

I liked it, but this was the chapter that broke me. It's showing all the signs of being the same lateral movement all the other ones of the same make have. Maybe if there is a significant change down the road I'll give it another try.
To be fair, when a MAX LEVEL (100) being invades a world where, as far as we can tell, everyone is below level 30, you should have known to expect this. Furthermore, although the demon lords/previous powerful people (who we can assume were players) were here, they only had level 7-8 spells so they should've been easily 20-40 levels lower than Ainz.

Anyone who knows anything about numbers and gaming should realize there exists something called level suppression (in some games). It usually falls into the "for every 5 levels your have over the opponent, damage is doubled/halved, multiplicatively (10 levels x4, 15 levels x8). Even when this disgusting level suppression isn't included, higher levels deal higher damage/resist more damage because their Lv10 skill deals 20-100 damage while their level 20 skill deals 80-400 damage, and that's not even counting that their strength might be 10 points higher and that might add str#-damage or even a 1% for every point more.

Taking a step back and acknowledging "DEUS EX MACHINA" (Main-character clause), it's already a fair assumption that whatever the main character does will succeed (in any anime) so it's hard to say your point is an acceptable reason for "this series broke me"-every series should've broken you by now!

Rather than focusing on the overpowered aspect, you should focus on the storytelling.
At the end of the day, to each their own, right? Just don't complain that the problem is the series without just cause.

More topics from this board

» Its manga is canceled

Tacoo - Jul 13

5 by Alexioos95 »»
Sep 29, 10:30 PM

Poll: » Overlord Chapter 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

7 by red1130 »»
Apr 4, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Overlord Chapter 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2015

5 by red1130 »»
Apr 3, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Overlord Chapter 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2015

7 by red1130 »»
Mar 27, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Overlord Chapter 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2015

10 by red1130 »»
Mar 27, 8:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.