Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Now that the disastrous adaptation of Assassin's Pride is over, i want to humbly suggest for people to read the manga.

New
Dec 28, 2019 1:53 AM
Oct 2019
It was a while ago when i saw this anime announced on an anime news site. I was probably one of the 3 people who was excited for it when i saw the news. I was a fan of the source material and i did not imagine that it would have gotten an adaptation, and i was expecting it to be a sleeper hit of the season.

Then the trailer came out, the animation looks good but a huge red flag appeared for me.. A character showed up that i knew was not supposed to do so until REALLY late in series, it would be impossible with 2 cours, and then i realised it likely only has one. It would be like if One Piece announced a one cour season and white beard showed up in the preview.

To put into context how bad it is, the first 2 episodes of the anime adapted about 11 chapters of the manga averaging about 40 pages per chapter. WTF, even fucking Berserk would not have survived this treatment.

What saddens me is from comments, this series is pretty much universally hated, but i do spot some comments once in a while with people liking the initial plot, and the nice aesthetics.

As such, for the 3-4 people reading this post, i hope you can give the manga a chance. A lot of the criticism people have about the anime are resolved in the manga

Plot - The plot is impossible to properly set up with the speed the anime is going. If the plot of a isolated girl who fears she is a bastard child of a prestigious family and a mentor who is trying to help her grow strong enough to overcome it is in anyway intriguing to you, read the manga.

Gary Stu male lead - While the main dude in the manga is strong, he is vulnerable. He genuinely fears that he and female lead is gonna get killed any moment if their secret is leaked or if she fails to get strong. There is definitely high stakes in the game he is playing. Furthermore he also have some goofy scenes which the anime took out for some reason and made him look like a robot

Other characters - The supporting cast has much more room to develop in the manga. I dont even want to go into how bad the anime is at this, you keep seeing new characters pop up without any set up..

In summary, Im just sad y'all. I dont know if the anime did anything for the sales of the light novel or manga, but im just scared even the source material is gonna be axed at this point. If this post can garner even the tiny bit of interest in the source then i would say it is worth it.

Note: I did not recommend the novel instead of the manga because the translated manga is further ahead.
Dec 28, 2019 2:55 AM
Feb 2008
I'll be honest, I'll probably be the only one who thoroughly enjoyed this anime, and no, the manga couldn't be any less tempting to read. I've already told a lot of people this, but an anime is an anime, don't try to compare it with what it was based on, since the manga is multiple times overcomplicated compared to it. I had nothing wrong with the anime have and will not call it bad, because for what it was meant, it was good. It was a good, action packed and entertaining fantasy story, where Melida grew as a character into what was expected from her, and beyond. Was it faithful to the manga? Who cares? Was it fun? Definetly. Would I suggest people to watch this? Naturally. Sure, it was far from the best of this season (And a lot of people will hate me for saying pretty much Noukin had this in the bag from the first moment on), but it's also safe to say there were bigger disappointments, including Oresuki.
Dec 28, 2019 5:05 AM

Dec 2014
" Now that the disastrous adaptation of Assassin's Pride is over, i want to humbly suggest for people to read the manga."

No thank you. Not because i hate it, the anime was ok for me, but im just not a manga/novel guy, so yeah, not gonna happen.
The only thing in my opinion the anime did wrong was the rush, everything else was ok. Probably if it wasnt that much rushed the anime would be way better. But still people would find something to cry about anyway.
Dec 28, 2019 2:18 PM
Dec 2009
Gawd I hope so kittywuvshcn. But the way my "to read" list set up right now, it'll be years before I get around to reading it >.<
Dec 28, 2019 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
Certain questionable decisions aside (like why Kufa seems to have a boner for a small child), the underlying concept for the series isn't that bad. I've always been a sucker for class-based fantasy. It is very easy to assume a source is bad because an adaptation is bad.

I highly recommend people watch the anime Shirobako, not only because it is absolutely fantastic, but because it feels like it explains exactly what happened with this series. After watching Shirobako I became aware of the anime production process and it made it very easy to spot where things went wrong. Often times people will tell you that "bad" animation is subjectively bad and you are a pretentious prick, but Shirobako has re-enforced my belief that objectively bad animation does exist. Thanks to Shirobako I've started noticing things like awkward keyframes and strange timings in animation that make a scene feel stiff or make the tweens look atrocious.

It was quite clear, especially in the last episode, that the quality suffered due to the studio or the people they outsourced the work to. The execution was so poor that it is extremely difficult to determine what is faithful to the source, what got butchered, what got skipped, and what got added.

Your plea may fall on deaf ears to the rest of the anime community, and even though I won't be reading the source material myself I hope you take solace in the fact that I understand exactly how you feel and don't blame the source material.
Dec 29, 2019 2:28 AM

Jan 2016
I read it already. Very cool. Better than the anime
Dec 29, 2019 2:59 AM

Apr 2017
I don't hate the anime, I just felt like it was missing a couple of elements as usual with every LN adaptation there is always smth missing and now that u confirmed my suspicions I can say for sure that I will correct the Adaptation's routes myself and give the manga a full thorough read and see the true Assassin's Pride on its true form! Thank you for telling me.
Dec 29, 2019 3:44 AM
Oct 2019
Thanks for giving it a chance guys :)
Dec 29, 2019 8:11 PM
Jul 2015
Good lord the manga was the only reason I could even follow the first few episodes of this monstrosity of an adaptation. It really hurt my heart because the manga is soooooo amazing and this is what we got....I did enjoy some of the animation (for instance the mana color outlines) and voice acting but it was way too rushed.....especially the last episode. So many things at once happened that I just kept facepalming. Can't wait for the manga to be translated further so I can get a better understanding of what I just watched.

So yes TL;DR please read the manga because the adaptation sucked
Dec 29, 2019 8:43 PM

May 2018
?

I watched it for the cute lolis and that's what I got exactly.
Dec 29, 2019 9:14 PM

Feb 2012
read it already. little before anime start airing.
while yes anime got some nice point. OP and ED especially good.
the Manga slighly better tho. i make a point to not score unfinished manga(exception happen) but its on 7/10 for now.
i wish and dream for the Future where everyone i care can Smile happily from their heart. But no matter where i look. how ever i see... there s no me. im not there. Just like that.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 2, 2020 10:28 AM

Nov 2008
I don't like the manga's art (compared to the anime) but I bookmarked a site to read the novel.

Shirasho said:
Certain questionable decisions aside (like why Kufa seems to have a boner for a small child)

Good grief "a small child" is someone under 10.

Melida is THIRTEEN. She's a teenager and so is he. Yes, she is flat-chested. So what? So was I at her age.

Jan 10, 2020 7:02 AM
Mar 2019
As a fan of the novel and manga I say that this adaptation is disastrous ...
So like you, I highly recommend reading the manga (or the novel)
Feb 8, 2020 5:33 AM
Feb 2020
من فکر می کنم حق با شماست .
من ایتدا انیمه را دیدم .
اما بعد از خواندن مانگا و رمان کاملا متوجه شدم که حذفیات بسیارند و در کاهش محتوا بسیار زیاده روی شده است .
با رباتی بنظر آمدن شخصیت مذکر اصلی در انیمه هم موافق هستم .
Feb 20, 2020 8:13 PM
May 2010
Chiibi said:
I don't like the manga's art (compared to the anime) but I bookmarked a site to read the novel.

Shirasho said:
Certain questionable decisions aside (like why Kufa seems to have a boner for a small child)

Good grief "a small child" is someone under 10.

Melida is THIRTEEN. She's a teenager and so is he. Yes, she is flat-chested. So what? So was I at her age.

Where do you bookmark the site?
Mar 30, 2020 3:28 PM
Mar 2018
It's a bad anime but i liked it, give it a 6/10, the animation is ok, but lifeless, i liked the characters, but i can't say anything good from everything else, maybe a big problem in isekai/fantasy JRPG inspired animes but why the anime never stopped to explain how the magic works in this world, also the fights were terrible, but i want to see the manga.
Mar 30, 2020 4:05 PM

Sep 2014
Depends.

Does your manga have animated and colored cute loli?
Sep 25, 2020 7:50 PM
Nov 2019
Thank you for spreading the gospel

More topics from this board

» What's with the Hate?

Aytr0 - Jun 3, 2021

32 by pissolati »»
Aug 27, 3:35 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2019

226 by hieu2000 »»
Feb 14, 12:53 AM

» what makes the show THIS bad?

APolygons2 - Apr 20, 2023

23 by Akanekino »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:28 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

104 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 31, 2023 4:40 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2019

66 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.