Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2019 8:35 AM

Nov 2013
1. Smothered Mate

In chess, a smothered mate is a checkmate delivered by a knight in which the mated king is unable to move because he is surrounded (or smothered) by his own pieces.

The mate is usually seen in a corner of the board, since fewer pieces are needed to surround the king there.

One method is particularly common and involves: check with the knight, then move the knight away to deliver a double check from the queen and knight, then sacrifice the queen to force the rook next to the king, then mate with the knight.

An example is to be found in the game Jan Timman–Nigel Short at the 1990 Tilburg tournament.

Source: Wikipedia
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 24, 2019 9:01 AM

Nov 2013
2. Anastasia's Mate

In Anastasia's mate, a knight and rook team up to trap the opposing king between the side of the board on one side and a friendly piece on the other. This checkmate got its name from the novel Anastasia und das Schachspiel by Johann Jakob Wilhelm Heinse

Source: Wikipedia

Original Anastasia's Mate

-------------

Here's Some Puzzle

Answer

Jul 24, 2019 11:46 PM

Nov 2013
3. Back-Ranker

The back-rank mate occurs when a rook or queen checkmates a king that is blocked in by friendly pieces (usually pawns) on his first rank.

Example:

Black has just Played Rc8 - Rc3??. Find the killing blow

Answer

Jul 25, 2019 5:27 PM

Nov 2013
4. Damiano's Mate

Source: http://mychessgames-philchess.blogspot.com/2011/02/typical-mates-with-enemy-pieces.html

Aug 4, 2019 2:35 AM

Nov 2013
5. Boden's Mate

Boden's Mate is a checkmating pattern in chess characterized by bishops on two criss-crossing diagonals (for example, bishops on a6 and f4 delivering mate to a king on c8), with possible flight squares for the king being occupied by friendly pieces. Most often the checkmated king has castled queenside, and is mated on c8 or c1. Many variants on the mate are seen, for example a king on e8 checkmated by bishops on g6 and a3, and a king on f1 checkmated by bishops on h3 and b6. Often the mate is immediately preceded by a sacrifice that opens up the diagonal on which the bishop delivers checkmate, and the mate is often a pure mate (as is the case for all examples given here).

The mate is named for Samuel Boden, who played a famous early example of it in Schulder–Boden, London 1853. However, it had been known previously from the game Horwitz–Popert, Hamburg 1844.

Boden's mate, two crossed Bishops. Looks rather confusing:
1. ... Qxc3+
2. bxc3 Ba3#

Example

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boden%27s_Mate

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Hello ~

dlxuniuniu - Nov 20, 2020

0 by dlxuniuniu »»
Nov 20, 2020 7:50 AM

» Tactic of The Day ! ( 1 2 )

DannyTheDonkey - Jul 24, 2019

66 by DannyTheDonkey »»
Nov 11, 2020 7:10 AM

» Great Games !!!

7 by DannyTheDonkey »»
Sep 1, 2020 6:09 AM

Sticky: » C3 -Official Discord Chatroom

Cyanwasserstoff - Aug 20, 2020

0 by Cyanwasserstoff »»
Aug 20, 2020 10:23 AM

» Chess Fundamental

6 by DannyTheDonkey »»
Aug 3, 2019 2:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.