Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2019 10:55 PM

Apr 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A Man Holds Onto His Dreams
I don't think this episode really needs much of a summary. A guy named 「ドラゴンすき」(dragonsuki, or literally, "likes dragons") (Umm, little kanji thing, "dinosaur" in Japanese is 恐竜, and the second character, 竜, means dragon. So that's why he "likes dragons". I guess. Pretty sure there's a little more to it, but oh well.), Momo's father's brother, or her uncle, likes dinosaurs and has given up everything to dig for dragon fossils. It's been many years, and he even ran away from his wife to accomplish it, but it has yet to yield any results.

Then, one day, he comes barging into his brother's house in the middle of the night, announcing that he's finally found it. He found a dinosaur skull. And his brother's excited to, and everyone's happy. And then they go to sleep. And the next morning, Momo's father says he's going to his brother's place with an ominous look on his face. Momo tags along, and eventually, they find out that it's not really a dinosaur skull. It's definitely not, in fact.

And so, Dragonsuki falls into a depression and won't move. So Momo saves the day by turning into a dinosaur, or actually that didn't work, so she instead made him dream a nice dream with all the dinosaurs alive, and then when he wakes up he finds a real dinosaur fossil. And finally, his dream to open up a dinosaur museum starts to come to fruition.

Discussion

This is, without a doubt, my favourite episode so far. It's a very touching episode, but it also has some really great lines. Sure, it's something you've probably seen a hundred times hence: someone strives to bring their dream into reality, and they give up everything for it, but they never manage to achieve their dream. But then, they do. That's all this story really is. It's about a guy who holds into his dream for so long, and through so many tough years and events in his life, and gives up everything for it, but still can't achieve it no matter what he does. And then he does achieve that dream.

At one point, he says (paraphrased and poorly translated), "Listen well, Momo, there are people with dreams that won't come true, no matter how much time passes." How depressing is that? But it's certainly true. Not all of our dreams can come true, and sometimes we have to suffer for so long that they might not even be worth bringing to fruition after all that. I would not, for instance, want to become a musician. The suffering greatly outweighs the payoff. But I wouldn't mind suffering to learn how to draw, or suffering to learn Japanese.

Another point is that you have to be single-minded. Dragonsuki doesn't care about anything other than his dream; when he finds a mountain of gold coins, he brushes it aside without a second thought in a striking comedic moment. His dream is not a means to an end. His dream is the end.

But in the end, his dream does come true. Because someone else believed in his dream. Because Momo was there to believe in it, and she was there to suffer for it, too, they were able to reach that dream together. If Momo hadn't made that decision to believe in his dream, Dragonsuki may very well have given up then and there. And he may never have reached his dream, even though it was literally within his reach.

I know this sounds like the height of pretentiousness, me rambling on about the price of dreams and the meaning of friendship, but this is how you do a fuckin' kids show! These are some great morals, and it does not, at any point, shove them in your face. If you watch this episode without any knowledge of Japanese, I'm sure you'd be able to understand what it was trying to say.

And this is the reason I love Minky Momo. But the OVAs are still my favourites.
FallJun 30, 2019 8:04 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 1 Discussion

Fall - Jun 18, 2019

1 by Hurrikhan »»
Jan 10, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 3 Discussion

Fall - Jun 28, 2019

0 by Fall »»
Jun 28, 2019 8:25 PM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 2 Discussion

Fall - Jun 28, 2019

0 by Fall »»
Jun 28, 2019 7:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.