Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2018 11:08 AM
Aug 2016
First of all, let me tell you that I've neither watched the OVA nor read any of the novels. I am entering the world of LOGH for the first time through this season. Also, I am loving the series so far (especially the 2nd episode). So, I am interested in knowing your thoughts about this season, and also what do you think will be the final rating?
Apr 11, 2018 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
Koustubh said:
So, I am interested in knowing your thoughts about this season, and also what do you think will be the final rating?

Too early to tell. Thus far it has been one amazing adaptation of the material -besides some small complications of repeating some info from the first episode in the second with Yang's perspective- since it wasn't quite a double lenght episode covering both sides at the same time in a less convoluted way than the OVAs ("Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War" still is the better version for this fight alone).

Other than that, it seems like we are going to have some cuts in a side story that was adapted early in the old series, some more small bits of info that weren't covered as well, and most likely some reordering of scenes, since the OVAs had some things happened either before or after what they should (sometimes waaay after). Some of those adjustments made the original superior in terms of expanding parts of the content of the books though.

I'm hoping they leave some of the significant ones in, not always an adaptation with "filler" is necessarily worse than the original, and this is one of the cases were they made it even better with the OVAs at some points.
DanpmssApr 11, 2018 11:56 AM
Apr 11, 2018 12:14 PM
Navel-Gazer

Jun 2015
Apparently, these 12 episodes will adapt the first novel, while the three movies next year get the second one. From what I've seen, the popular opinion is that those two books (and especially the first one), while great, can't compare to the remaining eight (or at least, that's the response the OVA adaptation generated). Taking that into account, and assuming that DNT Kaikou's quality doesn't take a dive later on, I'd expect its "final" score to reach 8.20~8.40, with the subsequent movies (& seasons?) receiving significantly higher scores, and not just because "those who didn't like Kaikou didn't watch the sequels".

Personally, I see DNT as a better introduction into LoGH than the OVA so far; the OVA was aimed at existing fans of the novels, and thus worked with the assumption that viewers already knew the characters and what was going to happen (so it did things like showcasing many characters, even the not-yet-relevant ones, from the very first episode, or openly referencing future events and therefore spoiling them), while DNT appears to take its time to ease newbies into its world instead of immediately bombarding them with info. Should it continue this approach, I'd like to see its score be no less than 8.60~8.80, but that's probably wishful thinking...
"I stocked this for our last meal. So let's enjoy white rice tonight. But not all of it. We still have tomorrow and the day after that." ~Houjou San

"Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy." ~Ikari Yui

"Life is suffering and pain. The world is cursed, its people are cursed, and yet we still wish to live." ~Osa

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.