Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2018 7:59 AM

May 2010
Hello,

I noticed a lack of detailed feedback on this club, so I will try to give a detailed opinion on the state of the app right now and hopefully spark a discussion about what we like and what could be improved.

I'll start off by saying that as an iOS developer, I am not very familiar with the Android environment, and I might get a bit technical in my observations.

Also, since this is a beta, I will not talk too much about the missing features because I assume they will be added later on. I will focus on what the app currently does, and mainly the parts I don't like.

Just in case, the app is mainly missing manga support, a way to search through your own list, and some community-focused features (profile, friends, forums, etc.)

Home

Looks pretty good overall.
Not much to say except that the "anime ranking" part looks like an ad banner, so my brain immediately ignored it.
A shame because it looks rather nice, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the screen.

Anime list

I like the list design overall, especially the kind of progress bar.
On the cards view though, I think each card takes up too much vertical space.
Here's an example. Do we really need to show the name of the anime, since this layout is made specifically to quickly identify anime with their cover image? Do we need a full-sized edit button instead of just a simple pencil icon like the list style?

I'm also not a fan of the toggle to change between "edit" and "+1". I understand a quick +1 is important, but I don't think this is the correct way to go about this. I have no suggestion to offer though.

Editing an anime

Now this is where things get serious. This popup is straight up bad, I'm sorry.
This is, to me, one of the most important feature of the mobile app: editing your list after watching some anime on your couch

• The top part with the name and cover is really empty. Add more info here, anything.
  • Why is the status ("watching" in the screenshot) indented that way? It doesn't match anything else
  • Why isn't the dropdown button (the little "v" on the right) not aligned with the other controls either?
  • I don't think a progress bar work very well on values that are not bounded. For score, OK. For episodes though, how do I add more than 100 at a time? One piece has like, 800+ episodes aired. I found out you can press +, and then it changes the bounds so you can go up to twice as many episodes. Do you think everyone will find that you can do that?
  • Where is the rest? Where are the start/end dates, the tags, etc. If the answer is "to be added later", then where? will you just pile things up until the popup covers the whole screen?

Overall this doesn't look good, and this doesn't seem very convenient to use.

Anime details page

Looks rather good. The cover image might be just slightly too large, but why not.
Could use some extra care to the margins.
Now, where is my editable info? I thought since it wasn't in the popup, that it would be here (talking about the missing parts)
I can see 2 buttons that do the exact same thing, the bookmark button on the top right corner, and the edit button on the bottom right. Why? Why are there 2 "floating" buttons that do the same thing? Why can't I see my info right here with the other info about the anime?
Also give this poor top bar a title.

Search

Why is the cover style different here than everywhere else (a circle)?
Also, I should be able to see when the anime are in my list.
It could be interesting to add the number of episodes here as well.
Why not simply keep the layout used for seasonal/top stuff?

The ranking and seasonal lists are rather good, nothing to add, apply the feedback from the anime list if relevant.

General

• Why is the status bar (bar with your battery infos) of a different color than the bar just bellow?
  • The menu really looks empty. I don't really have an idea on how to fix this, but at least center the profile pic/name
  • "Anime List" should be in 2 words

Sorry that it got so long, and thanks for reading if you did (if you jumped to the TLDR and read this from the corner of your eye it doesn't count!). I might have been a bit harsh with my criticism, but my goal is to help improve the app.

TL;DR
The app is decent overall but there are lot of tiny things to improve.
Please leave your thoughts about all that, whether you agree or not.
Feel free to point things that I might have missed as well.
IATGOFFeb 28, 2018 8:19 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 28, 2018 8:34 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
I definitely agree with OP's post.

One thing that's been bothering me ever since I installed the app, that wasn't listed on OP's list is the lack a Settings page.

Every app should have some sort of Settings page. Apps lacking these pages seem bland, empty, and less personalised. It's just my opinion, but it may even lead to an interface that behaves the same way as the mobile website does.

As an app, the code below the MAL app should explore the possibilities of what it means to be an "app". Push notifications, clearing data cache, NSFW toggles (definitely needed, there's a NSFW anime in the 4th item of the Seasonal list!), etc are some suggestions on what to include in the Settings page.

The Settings might already be planned. As OP said, writing a lot on the lack of features isn't really effective, I understand. However, with the open beta and even the public release approaching quickly, I strongly suggest the need for this.

The second thing I've noticed is on something that exists already. When sorting collection views, these checkboxes should be radio buttons, because one cannot select multiple of them.

That's about it from me so far.
FoxInFlameFeb 28, 2018 8:51 AM
Mar 1, 2018 2:14 AM

Nov 2007
Here's my short experience with the app:

It crashed the first time I opened it. Don't know why. But it worked the next time, and I didn't have any issues later on. If it helps, I opened it via Play Store right after installation, on Android 8.0.0.

I was expecting to see an onboarding page, but the app put me right into Home and let me move around without logging in. I actually prefer it this way, though I'm not sure if other users would agree.

On anime page, the last two sections (Related anime, Recommendations) look a bit different than the first two. They have horizontal margins, round borders and regular (rather than bold, capitalized) titles. Any reason why? Seems inconsistent to me.

On anime list page, I found the sorting options a bit ambiguous. For instance, "Start date" can refer to either the date I started watching a series, or the date it started airing. I figured out with trial and error, but it was confusing for a moment.

There doesn't seem to be a way to access the side menu without going back to Home. This gets tedious after visiting more than a few anime pages.

I spotted a few other minor issues, though I won't be mentioning them since IATGOF has already did. Overall, I find the app quite decent and look forward to seeing more features.
Mar 1, 2018 7:15 AM
Jun 2014
erengy said:
There doesn't seem to be a way to access the side menu without going back to Home. This gets tedious after visiting more than a few anime pages.

This was kind of rectified in the latest update but not quite: now one can slide it out, yet there is no navigation drawer pictogram, so it's not obvious and, I would argue, impractical.
Mar 1, 2018 8:09 AM
Time Traveler

Jun 2016
@tenteen Is there an official place to write suggestions and feedback about the app?
Hey you!
Yes you!
Have a nice day!
And best wishes for your life's journey!

Mar 1, 2018 8:33 AM
Jun 2014
@JohnTitor2036, you can report bugs and write suggestions directly in the app (tap 'Feedback' in the side menu or shake your phone), but you can also share your thoughts here, in club discussions.
The first one is a bit handier because it allows you to send screenshots and technical details along with your report.
Mar 1, 2018 8:34 AM
Time Traveler

Jun 2016
@tenteen Thanks !
Hey you!
Yes you!
Have a nice day!
And best wishes for your life's journey!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» App Feedback

GetRektByMe - Feb 28, 2018

2 by Carr7 »»
Dec 10, 2020 4:36 AM

» Will be the forum section added to the app?

DandT - Mar 6, 2018

1 by tenteen »»
Mar 7, 2018 1:43 AM

» Android Version Compatibility

Falsely - Mar 3, 2018

1 by Mexiguy »»
Mar 6, 2018 10:00 AM

» DeployGate

ArtaRay - Feb 13, 2018

6 by nx6 »»
Mar 3, 2018 3:08 AM

» Needs moar desu!

nx6 - Feb 14, 2018

5 by nx6 »»
Feb 23, 2018 12:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.