Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 24, 2017 3:15 PM

Jan 2015
Damn, it's getting a special. I haven't seen this series in a couple years but I'm glad it's getting a special for it's 25th anniversary. I did like the old animation but now I really don't know what to expect. I really want to see a couple of images of the special :D
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 24, 2017 3:38 PM
Aug 2012
This series doesn't need a special. Needs a remake or OVAs.
DomineeringOppressor
Dec 24, 2017 4:07 PM
Nov 2017
Just finished my rewatch of this show a couple weeks ago. One of my all-time favorites. So damn hype for this!!
Dec 24, 2017 4:25 PM

Oct 2017
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

Why a remake? It didn’t have any annoying filler.
Dec 24, 2017 4:30 PM
Aug 2012
Username23489023 said:
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

True. But the ending was rushed and the anime didn't follow the manga all the way through til the end. Also a remake can help this series gain more popularity.
DomineeringOppressor
Dec 24, 2017 5:13 PM
Jul 2014
Username23489023 said:
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

It would be kind of great to see it with updated visuals just like HXH.
Dec 24, 2017 5:43 PM

Mar 2014
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

Who's to say this won't spark renewed interest in the series?
Dec 24, 2017 5:51 PM
Aug 2012
Barberry said:
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

Why would a non-YYH fan care about a special from a series from the early 90s? Hunter x Hunter got a remake and people who never heard of the late 90s version of it loved the new one, and it now has an enormous fan base. So it's a bigger win to make a remake for YYH.
DomineeringOppressor
Dec 24, 2017 5:56 PM
Nov 2017
I think a remake would be cool , as long as it stays true to some things. Love to see what they could do with more time in Demon Worldt. Have a new generation of peeps keep saying "Urameshi" like Kuwabara.
Dec 24, 2017 5:57 PM

Mar 2014
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:
Barberry said:

Why would a non-YYH fan care about a special from a series from the early 90s? Hunter x Hunter got a remake and people who never heard of the late 90s version of it loved the new one, and it now has an enormous fan base. So it's a bigger win to make a remake for YYH.

I mean, I didn't say interest from non-fans. I'm just saying that maybe fans of the series will show to whoever is in charge that there is still a fan base that would like a remake. The special could give a foot in the door.
Dec 24, 2017 5:58 PM

Jan 2009
as far as i know the old anime is already a complete adaptation of the manga anyway so im gonna be surprise if this gets a remake
Dec 24, 2017 7:00 PM
Jul 2014
isekai said:
as far as i know the old anime is already a complete adaptation of the manga anyway so im gonna be surprise if this gets a remake

No, it's not. It diverges in the final season, which is notably the poorest of the four.

This was mentioned in this thread already, friend.
Dec 24, 2017 7:20 PM

Jul 2015
Guys already it was announced that YYH is getting a remake.

Dec 24, 2017 8:08 PM

Jan 2015
Vivekananda said:

Wauw really. That makes me happy, I really wanted this with the updated visuals.
Dec 24, 2017 8:18 PM
Jan 2012
Vivekananda said:

Where was this announced? Unless you have a source, I don't think that's really credible, especially since many speculated early this year that we're getting a remake, but was actually just an announcement for this special.

I really like YYH, but I actually don't understand why they would remake the series. It's already a completed series, both anime and manga. They could probably adapt the manga more faithfully, but I doubt they'd remake the entire series than just making a few specials and movies that adapted how the manga ended. While YYH was, and still is, very loved (and rightfully so, it's a great series), they'd gain nothing from milking the series further to the point where they made an entire remake. HxH got a remake, but you could attribute that to the fact that it wasn't over, the original anime did not cover anything past the Greed Island arc. Renewing people's interest in YYH does not make sense when the series is over, unless Togashi is planning on continuing it.

I'd think them remaking YYH would be cool and I'd watch it, but we should stop constantly revisiting old series so much.

Now, if it actually is confirmed to be getting a brand new remake, I'd be wrong in their motivation to do so, but I'd still feel like it's not exactly a great move either
Dec 24, 2017 8:36 PM

Jan 2014
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:
Barberry said:

You are completely ignoring the fans anime is made for-- Japanese ones. HxH was so crazy popular in Japan before it's hiatuses it could sit alongside One Piece. You can not just say nobody cared about HxH in the 90's.
Dec 24, 2017 9:00 PM

Dec 2013
Unleashed_SM said:
Username23489023 said:

It would be kind of great to see it with updated visuals just like HXH.

Agreed. I'm watching it now for the first time, and I normally can do with older animation, but man it's a little rough to be honest.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Dec 24, 2017 9:01 PM
Aug 2012
NLasting said:
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

You are completely ignoring the fans anime is made for-- Japanese ones. HxH was so crazy popular in Japan before it's hiatuses it could sit alongside One Piece. You can not just say nobody cared about HxH in the 90's.

I'm not ignoring anybody nor did I say nobody cared about HxH in the 90s. I was talking about the level of popularity. You could be correct about Japan, but in the west it wasn't that popular. And when anime is in production, the western audience is kept in mind because anime has an international fan-base, not just strictly Japan. Hunter x Hunter released OVAs after the series was finished in the late 90s because it was amazing.
DomineeringOppressor
Dec 24, 2017 9:22 PM

Sep 2016
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

Exactly! Not that I have problem with the old version, I love it from the choice of seiyuu to most of the plot. But it's dragged at some points with poor art and the ending could have been better.
Dec 24, 2017 9:29 PM

Feb 2016
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:
Username23489023 said:

True. But the ending was rushed and the anime didn't follow the manga all the way through til the end. Also a remake can help this series gain more popularity.

Actually, Togashi rushed the end of it in the manga, the anime had no choice.
What.
Dec 24, 2017 9:29 PM

Feb 2016
I wonder if there is gonna be like any new animation???
What.
Dec 24, 2017 11:24 PM

Jul 2015
Madara22 said:
Vivekananda said:

Wauw really. That makes me happy, I really wanted this with the updated visuals.

burntphoenix said:
Vivekananda said:

Where was this announced? Unless you have a source, I don't think that's really credible, especially since many speculated early this year that we're getting a remake, but was actually just an announcement for this special.

I really like YYH, but I actually don't understand why they would remake the series. It's already a completed series, both anime and manga. They could probably adapt the manga more faithfully, but I doubt they'd remake the entire series than just making a few specials and movies that adapted how the manga ended. While YYH was, and still is, very loved (and rightfully so, it's a great series), they'd gain nothing from milking the series further to the point where they made an entire remake. HxH got a remake, but you could attribute that to the fact that it wasn't over, the original anime did not cover anything past the Greed Island arc. Renewing people's interest in YYH does not make sense when the series is over, unless Togashi is planning on continuing it.

I'd think them remaking YYH would be cool and I'd watch it, but we should stop constantly revisiting old series so much.

Now, if it actually is confirmed to be getting a brand new remake, I'd be wrong in their motivation to do so, but I'd still feel like it's not exactly a great move either

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-12-16/yu-yu-hakusho-manga-gets-new-animated-work/.125368

I personally will prefer to see a new work if they adapt the last arc.

Edit seems they updated it.I am.not sure but are they talking about the special or a whole new series?
Arjuna777Dec 24, 2017 11:28 PM

Dec 24, 2017 11:32 PM

Jan 2015

Vivekananda said:
Madara22 said:

burntphoenix said:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-12-16/yu-yu-hakusho-manga-gets-new-animated-work/.125368

I personally will prefer to see a new work if they adapt the last arc.

Edit seems they updated it.I am.not sure but are they talking about the special or a whole new series?

Ah thanks they just talked about how the Yuu Yuu Hakusho anime had 2 films and a couple of OVA's and it will get a new work which will just be a special for the 25th anniversarry.
Madara22Dec 24, 2017 11:35 PM
Dec 24, 2017 11:48 PM

Apr 2017
Is this a sign of a remake ?

Hope they won't stop here and reproduce.

It has to be redone.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Dec 25, 2017 3:31 AM
Jul 2018
Super hyped for this. Just hoping they won't mess with the character designs too much.
Dec 25, 2017 6:01 AM

Apr 2017
I'm very excited to see Yu Yu Hakusho in modern animation. I hope Togashi is creatively involved in this.
Dec 25, 2017 10:05 AM

Jun 2008
hopefully it's not another picture drama
Dec 25, 2017 1:49 PM

Sep 2017
well, i'm behind.

i just started the series a few days ago and it's already a 10/10 anime for me, seems interesting.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Dec 25, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Im already excited for this. I hope they announce something else in the end of the special, like a sequel OVA or something.
Dec 25, 2017 2:19 PM
Nov 2017
After all the excitement of the announcement and the fans sitting in anticipation, I would die laughing if there is a big announcement, but it's a series spin-off for Jorge Saotome!
Dec 25, 2017 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
Just read:

Airs: Oct 26, 2018

God dammit I don't wanna wait that long ;_;
Dec 25, 2017 3:54 PM

Oct 2017
I just don’t know about a remake. It has that awesome 80s style intro. That might get replace by a nipon justin bieber to be modernized. Thought, I dont know if I actually like the intro, or that it just got drilled into my head because they used the same intro for every episode. Which worked, because you knew exactly what was on.

Also, we’re currently in SJW land where PC police roam the land eliminating any sort of fun. There was a lot of dragonball type moments in YYH that might get ruined if it was remade.

Plus, HxH reboot was nice, but they gave all the mafia people iphones and shit. It was eh for me.
Dec 25, 2017 11:42 PM
Jan 2012
Username23489023 said:
I just don’t know about a remake. It has that awesome 80s style intro. That might get replace by a nipon justin bieber to be modernized. Thought, I dont know if I actually like the intro, or that it just got drilled into my head because they used the same intro for every episode. Which worked, because you knew exactly what was on.

Also, we’re currently in SJW land where PC police roam the land eliminating any sort of fun. There was a lot of dragonball type moments in YYH that might get ruined if it was remade.

Plus, HxH reboot was nice, but they gave all the mafia people iphones and shit. It was eh for me.

I don't want a remake either, but I can't really agree with your post. I'd agree that I'd hate to see it suddenly get some super popstar-like J-pop OP, or an edgy one that just doesn't fit, but I doubt that would happen, it didn't happen to HxH. The original YYH OP is incredibly beloved, I don't think they'd actually stray from it much.

SJW and the whole PC culture thing is definitely becoming annoying, yes, but that's not really relevant to anime. Most of what was censored in series like Dragonball were pretty much done by the localization teams in charge of the US release, things like removing tame cusswords like "damn" and changing it to "darn", removing blood, that kind of thing. If the SJW and politically correct culture bled into anime ecchi would be a dead genre, and no scantily clad women in Shounen.

HxH is still considered Shounen yet wasn't censored. Seeing it's popularity and being made by the same mangaka leads me to believe a YYH remake would probably recieve mostly the same treatment.

I still don't think they should or will remake YYH, but not for the same reasons. c
Dec 25, 2017 11:49 PM

Oct 2015
I've said this and I will say it again,

This will do while I wait for HunterXHunter 2051

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Dec 26, 2017 2:03 AM

Jan 2011
seriously, what year is it
Dec 26, 2017 4:38 AM
Aug 2017
Username23489023 said:

I agree with not wanting the Yu Yu Hakusho we know and love to be given a new version that changes things we enjoy due to the SJW nonsense and changing minor things like phones to fit the modern era, however I believe a remake would be beneficial to the franchise because of the following:

Updating the art would make the show look more appealing to a lot of modern otaku that haven't seen the show. I have a friend who has seen 1000+ anime but refuses to watch YYH because the art turns him off and I know he's not alone.

If the remake is treated as well as FMA Brotherhood and Hunter X Hunter (2011) it could increase the franchise's popularity in the modern era and push it to the top ten here on MAL and increase the profitability of the show's merchandise as well as increase the amount of merchandise like the aforementioned or like Super has done for the Dragon Ball franchise.

In regards to the music, I am a big fan of "Hohoemi no Bakudan" and listen to it very frequently, but if they maintain the original soundtrack it would serve as a huge blast of nostalgia for fans who watch the remake and provide newcomers with a wonderful taste of the beauty the original show had or hopefully they compose a new score that is as good or even better than the original an example being in the case of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
XtraGRCDec 26, 2017 7:21 AM
Dec 26, 2017 6:51 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
all are welcome! ;)
Dec 26, 2017 8:17 AM
Jul 2014
Could anyone tell me how much last arc in manga is different from anime?
Dec 26, 2017 10:55 AM

Feb 2015
Pitbull01 said:

The final fight between Yusuke and Yomi wasn't in the manga. So if they remade the series and stayed closer to the manga it would actually be worse LOL.
Dec 26, 2017 1:01 PM
Jul 2016
As much as id love a remake they dont have a reason to do a remake the series ended and it followed the manga they only did little changes in the last arc but still it was faithfull to the manga it isnt like sailor moons hunterxhunter or fullmetal alchemist brotherhood case... if they made a remake for ranma 1/2 i would understand but unfortunately yyh has no reason to do a remake . At least we get this special and i am very excited ❤️❤️
Dec 26, 2017 2:47 PM
Aug 2012
Turtles_Hunter said:
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

You realise the manga end sooner, before the Yomi's son vs Yusuke fight. Togashi dropped that in the middle of an arc, if anything, the anime gave us a better and more complete ending than the manga did.

And I don't think this need a remake. Series aged pretty well, and the first series stayed pretty much true to the manga so... If they should do a remake of a 90's show, I would prefer a complete version of either Rave or Dragon Quest : Dai no daibokken (especially DQ:DnD, because man, I want to see the ryumajin animated).

In the anime, the last arc was really rushed. Since anime don't usually always stay true to mangas to the T, they could've found a way to ease their way to end the series. They were doing it like they were in a rush for something.

Throughout some parts of the series, the art looked juvenile during fighting scenes (Hiei vs. Bui, as an example). And let's be real, YYH does need some patching up. Dragon Ball Z and Hunter x Hunter both got managed to get remakes, so it's fair that YYH does as well (also given the fact that YYH got better ratings than DBZ when they both initially came out). It's unfair that crappy series such as Ushio to Tora gets a remake but this classic doesn't. YYH deserves more publicity, and people need to see why. Unfortunately, many people refuse to watch it on the sole fact that "it's old". If people saw a remastered version or a remake of it, they would instantly love it, and old fans would love to rewatch it.
DomineeringOppressor
Dec 26, 2017 3:05 PM
Sep 2015
JonasTheJay said:
Pitbull01 said:

The final fight between Yusuke and Yomi wasn't in the manga. So if they remade the series and stayed closer to the manga it would actually be worse LOL.

The Hiei & Mukuro fight is truncated or not there at all, as well. The anime added a LOT to fix the manga's rushed ending.
Dec 26, 2017 3:43 PM
Aug 2012
Turtles_Hunter said:
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

In the anime, the last arc was really rushed. Since anime don't usually always stay true to mangas to the T, they could've found a way to ease their way to end the series. They were doing it like they were in a rush for something.

Throughout some parts of the series, the art looked juvenile during fighting scenes (Hiei vs. Bui, as an example). And let's be real, YYH does need some patching up. Dragon Ball Z and Hunter x Hunter both got managed to get remakes, so it's fair that YYH does as well (also given the fact that YYH got better ratings than DBZ when they both initially came out). It's unfair that crappy series such as Ushio to Tora gets a remake but this classic doesn't. YYH deserves more publicity, and people need to see why. Unfortunately, many people refuse to watch it on the sole fact that "it's old". If people saw a remastered version or a remake of it, they would instantly love it, and old fans would love to rewatch it.
Dragon Ball Z didn't get a remake, it got a recut with the same animation, to remove the fillers. And due to the timing, we can assume they probably already were planning DBS, or at least were running test to see if the public was still there with a not so risky task. It's even more obvious when you know the whole DBKai was originally planned for 100 episode, which is even more clear when you see how the saiyajin arc is rushed. I think they didn't plan for it to work that well, and when they saw the numbers, they decided to slow the path a little and only go to cell with those 100 episodes.

Ushio to tora only had 11 OAV before the serie. Which make me think it didn't cover the whole serie. plus there is this 90's action serie remake trend that is currently running, but only for show that didn't cover the whole serie or took many liberties. the upcoming Hoshin is part of that, and there are a few other like this in the making. Maybe it's due to the lack of action show in new production RN, and that animation studio realised there still was a public for that.

Although DBZ got recut and remastered version even though it didn't need one, they still went ahead and did it cause they knew they could milk the shit out of it and made more movies and DB Super. Why? Cause they know due to nostalgia, and it's widely loved people will watch it.

What I'm getting from you is that remakes should only be done if there is something missing, such as action, entire series not being covered, or unless if there's a continuation for it planned. Am I correct? These are solid reasons for someone who has seen lots of series. But for those who only have seen the "anime starter pack" or who are extremely picky and only go for popular series, just the mere fact that the art looks bad or old is enough of a reason for it to need a remake (for them). And for old fans, just the sole fact that it's a beloved 90s series, we would go through the entire watching experience only because of nostalgia. It's a good way to sucker in viewers.
DomineeringOppressor
Dec 26, 2017 4:24 PM
Aug 2012
Turtles_Hunter said:
xXKyoyaCloudXx said:

Although DBZ got recut and remastered version even though it didn't need one, they still went ahead and did it cause they knew they could milk the shit out of it and made more movies and DB Super. Why? Cause they know due to nostalgia, and it's widely loved people will watch it.

What I'm getting from you is that remakes should only be done if there is something missing, such as action, entire series not being covered, or unless if there's a continuation for it planned. Am I correct? These are solid reasons for someone who has seen lots of series. But for those who only have seen the "anime starter pack" or who are extremely picky and only go for popular series, just the mere fact that the art looks bad or old is enough of a reason for it to need a remake (for them). And for old fans, just the sole fact that it's a beloved 90s series, we would go through the entire watching experience only because of nostalgia. It's a good way to sucker in viewers.
What I think is not part of the discussion here. It's not about when it should, but when it does. I'm just observing that the show that got remake are either things that were heavily modified or not finished, either things that are so old that animation was a major gap for their appreaciation (like Yamato. I tried the 74 version, and it hurts to watch, I dropped the thing after 6 episode, and that was a lot before they even annouced the remake).

For DBZ, you have to not forget that the franchise was still pretty active and profitable (especially in the video game field), and that it was still the most popular manga/anime franchise in the world at the time. YYH is good, but in those field, DBZ is a category of its own. And once again, DBKai is not a remake. At best for YYH, what we can hope is for the show to get the DB treatment. And even that wouldn't give us a much shorter show.

For my opinion of the matter, remake should only be done if they give something more. If all a remake can bring is better visual for a few scenes, it's not really useful. And since YYH didn't age that bad, a remake don't feel necessary to me. There are a lot of other series that would benefits from a remake to spend time on those who don't really need it to please a small part of the community (DQ:Dnd to begin with).

True, can't really compare the two since DBZ can arguably be seen as the face of anime and has grown to be a monster franchise, and it will continue to stay relevant years later, whereas YYH still remains as just a series. So I'll take back what I said regarding YYH needing a remake (I guess it was a misuse of the term on my end), but a remastered version would be highly recommended due to aforementioned reasons, which can cause its fan base to really grow. I agree that there are other old series out there that would really benefit from a remake.
DomineeringOppressor
Dec 28, 2017 9:08 AM

Jul 2015
omg!! i'm excited!!
Feb 19, 2018 6:45 PM

Aug 2014
Need a sequel tbh. Something like Super
Apr 4, 2018 8:28 AM
Apr 2018
I asked Justin Cook and Cynthia Cranz when I met them at Hypecon in Texarkana TX a few weeks ago about a possible reboot or anything else like that and they are completely on board with coming back to do the English dub if they will just get on with it.
Apr 5, 2018 5:53 AM
Jan 2016
lol i doubt they be a remake the original yuu yuu Hakusho anime stills holds up pretty well, the anime had an expectational production cycle for a long ongoing series literally the only problem was maybe the ending buts not the anime or manga fault togashi was sick ( it was pretty bad) and Jump would have never given him a proper break, so he decided to wrap the series however still no real questions that really needs answering it did a great job. However i would love to see a timeskip and just have a small epilogue on yusuke wedding thats what this special could do.

Apr 27, 2018 9:21 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yu Yu Hakusho OVA will be about how Hiei and Kurama met and animate the side stories.

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/989862064351989760
Apr 29, 2018 1:11 AM

Feb 2018
I hope that special is popular enough for them to remake the entire Series like they did with hxh. the dark tournament arc with today's top notch animation would be incredible.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho Specials Episode 2 Discussion

Rod_Russ - Nov 10, 2018

27 by JVskunkape »»
Jan 17, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho Specials Episode 1 Discussion

Rod_Russ - Nov 10, 2018

20 by JVskunkape »»
Jan 17, 3:56 AM

» Waiting for funi dub

Aiaigasa - Mar 9, 2019

14 by Rukasumi »»
Oct 18, 2023 3:01 PM

» Yu Yu Hakusho Anime OVA "Two Shots" Key Visual

KalfKaneda - Apr 28, 2018

3 by AOIsama »»
May 2, 2018 11:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.