Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 27, 2017 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
RIP kendo stick
I still don't trust that Malleus girl at all especially at how she approached Ren again. Looks like this episode develops the relationship between Ren and Kasumi more.

Ren and Marie also talk for the first time although it pretty short and still mysterious. Ren just can't catch a break...he gets attacked yet again lul
Oct 27, 2017 10:23 AM

Aug 2014
It's shit someone delet this anime pls

All this cut and/or needlessly edited content, the bizarre direction and pacing choices, are just painful to watch. And ofc, subs being a meme as always. Mercurius's and Valeria&Spinnes new scenes were passable, at least.

also what was up with that kei exposition and where did it come from lol

And ofc, subs being a meme as always.
InsertanamehereOct 27, 2017 12:26 PM
Oct 27, 2017 10:35 AM
Feb 2016
Again a pretty enjoyable episode and at this pace I assume we're getting Shirou in ep 5 and finishing the "common route" in ep 6.

Oh and I just wanted to point out something that I had been thinking, they're not going out of their way to help out anime onlys because for example this episode should've included Rusalka giving more answers to Ren explaining the basic details about the plot. The people that keep watching the series will get their questions answered but I assume it will not happen in the form of exposition, just discovering as the story develops so for those that don't have patience it will be hell but I guess those people have already dropped it since episode 0 or just shitpost like the guy above that complains every episode but keeps coming back. Some say that it's only targetted for VN readers and backers(this anime was funded by fans and then some sponsors) but I honestly disagree, of course it's mainly targetted for those 2 groups but for animeonly viewers they're just going the same way a mistery novel happens, finding things out slowly as the story advances. Well also fits the Opera theme Dies Irae has, you didn't go to the theater knowing the plot, you just followed it. This format is weird for anime viewers since most are used to shonen manga adaptations where everything is made clear in episode 1.
Of course this is my POV so don't take it for granted they might infodump you next episode or the other since we aren't really out of the opening arc.

If someone wants a little bit of help understanding right now (without being spoiled of course) what the Nazis want instead of waiting then watch these 2 videos, the first one is short the other is longer but if you're interested it shouldn't be a problem.

DI Acta est Fabula opening sequence, bad guy monologue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUnwuGdmQ9g

Visual novel prologue(warning headphone users, Holocaust is pretty loud)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZ2Nqj5zq4

Or you could just read the VN, everything that's been in the anime so far is part of the common route so you can read it for free on Steam

E96825Oct 27, 2017 10:49 AM
Oct 27, 2017 10:39 AM

Oct 2012
Awwww man. They ruined the Kasumi reveal.
Oct 27, 2017 10:52 AM
Aug 2017
None of it is making any sense so far.
Oct 27, 2017 10:58 AM
Feb 2009
nekrot1co0 said:

Exactly...........
Oct 27, 2017 11:00 AM

Jun 2015
Kasumi just destroyed her kendo stick. She and Ren had a nice time at the fair. The first swastika has opened. Only seven remain.
Oct 27, 2017 11:01 AM

Nov 2013
Things are happening so fast that if I wasn´t a VN reader I don´t think I could get or enjoy some of the scenes. The Rusalka conversation was so butchered/rushed (and here I was looking forward for more Rusalka screen time) and the Kasumi reveal lacked all the impact it was supposed to have, since the foreshadowing was pratically shoehorned in the first half of the episode instead of built up gradually. Nevertheless I still enjoyed the episode and finally Mercurius had some well-deserved prose time. Easily the best scene of the episode (and of the anime so far) for me.

Also, 3 episodes in and the LDO members aka nazis still haven´t mentioned the name Zarathustra. I guess it is another thing to be shoehorn in their next confrontation with Ren.

And ofc CR does it again, by calling Beatrice (Kircheisen) as lord instead of lady. Lol.
KaitonOct 27, 2017 3:32 PM

Oct 27, 2017 11:04 AM

Feb 2016
Watching Dies Irae be like
Oct 27, 2017 11:12 AM

Dec 2016
Kasumi's reveal wasn't done well, but I must say that the Throne scene was amazing, literally best thing in this adaptation so far. I wonder if we'll get to see Hajun, somehow. Can't wait for Shirou to finally make his grand entrance.
Oct 27, 2017 11:26 AM

Oct 2012
I could use a bit of help. So there once were some nazi's with supernatural powers or maybe some type of gods playing a game? Let's take Kasumi for example. Is she one of those nazi's reborn or is someone/force embodying her, or is it something else entirely? Thanks for the help.
Oct 27, 2017 11:33 AM

Aug 2014
modboy said:
Is she one of those nazi's reborn

nope

modboy said:
or is someone/force embodying her

kind of
they really should explain next episode or so in full but idk if they'll do it right (probably not judging by the anime so far lol)

Oct 27, 2017 11:34 AM
Feb 2016
PavelShinpuSama said:
Kasumi's reveal wasn't done well, but I must say that the Throne scene was amazing, literally best thing in this adaptation so far. I wonder if we'll get to see Hajun, somehow. Can't wait for Shirou to finally make his grand entrance.

I agree, made a wall of text up there so I didn't want to make it even longer but the Mercurius scene made me really happy, my inner chuuni was screaming. Kasumi reveal was obvious in the VN too.

modboy said:
I could use a bit of help. So there once were some nazi's with supernatural powers or maybe some type of gods playing a game? Let's take Kasumi for example. Is she one of those nazi's reborn or is someone/force embodying her, or is it something else entirely? Thanks for the help.

As for your first question, the second one with a bit of the first. Watch the first video I posted up there and then re-watch the scene where Kei speaks with Ren and then what Mercurius says.

As for Kasumi, Ren basically made her kill in order to gather souls for the guillotine it's explained this episode quite clearly. She has other connections with the Nazis but you shouldn't know what exactly yet, you should however know that they're not reborn.
Oct 27, 2017 11:41 AM
Aug 2013
Still really vague how this whole killing mode works and fight was hard to follow. For now, I'll just watch for Rusalka.
Oct 27, 2017 12:02 PM

Aug 2015
Oh God, they cut a big chunk of Rusalka's scene, and that could clear some of the confusion.

They also revealed the true nature of Mercurius way too early... but the Throne scene was amazing so it gets a pass from me.

The scenes with Ren and Kasumi's relationship were nice.

They could have really kept the reveal for a couple more seconds, damn, IMO it would have had a bigger impact.

The subs were amazing as always. /s

For those who didn't understand the 'Kasumi is the murderer' thing: Basically, the magic here runs on souls. The more you have, the better (the quality of souls also matter), and Ren needed souls to get more powerful. So he, unknowingly, makes Kasumi his surrogate, giving her his powers so she can murder people and get souls for him. Again, all of this was done without Ren's awareness by Mercurius so Ren can get stronger so he can fight the 'nazis'. Why? Well, it gets complicated and kinda spoilery, but if someone wants to know I'll tell them.
Oct 27, 2017 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
I thought the episode well... didn't really do exactly as I thought it could, giving a bit of context of what's been going on, but at the same time I did understood bits of it... This is kinda skeptical but nonetheless this episode was enjoyable I suppose. So far the series gets a 6/10 but that's just so far. Hopefully it polishes itself well. But at least the buildup was alright and the Throne scene was actually awesome o.o Yikes fam.

I wouldn't necessarily blame on the staff because I feel like its more of the context and content of the VN not being done well, and that's really a big issue with a lot of VN adaptations. Not bad though, just... kinda souring.

By the way I am digging the characters a bit more compared to last time so that's nice, especially Rusalka. So, I'm fine over here in that aspect.
Oct 27, 2017 12:33 PM

Jan 2017
Seriously what's the point of this anime beside being edgy? Gonna be first drop of this season
Oct 27, 2017 12:35 PM

Jul 2014
Did they just show Merc on the throne ? LOL
Oct 27, 2017 12:35 PM
Feb 2016
dont understand what is going on
Oct 27, 2017 12:55 PM

Jul 2014
They reveal Merc nature way too early, you don't discover who merc really until the third route and you don't see him in action until the until the very final battle, still the shot of him sitting on the throne with all the galaxies was badass as hell so i won't complain about that, we never got clear view on the throne even in the VN

Kasumi's reveal even in the VN was bit weird and they didn't put enough hints, now why would he run into the accident screaming kasumi is beyond me, some stuff they do is very stupid and doesn't make sense

They are all over the place, if that the case i wonder if they will show us hajun in the end

overall as VN reader i enjoyed the episode

Oct 27, 2017 1:19 PM

Aug 2015
Devil_Slayer said:

They are all over the place, if that the case i wonder if they will show us hajun in the end

Isn't Hajun part of the Kajiri Kamui Kagura visual novel. I know there are some relations between DI and KKK, but why would he appear here if he didn't appear in the vn?
Oct 27, 2017 1:22 PM

Jul 2014
modboy said:

Basically all those crazy nazi were given those supernatural power by Karl Kraft "well he have many names but he goes mostly by Mercurius" it's the guy who was sitting on the throne in middle of space, however their power didn't come for free, Mercurius fucked them over and most of them have regret from the past they want to fix and he promised them to grant their wish if they wish this battle in Swahara city

As for kasumi, in Dies Irae characters have something called Holy Relics "you can count them as Nobel Phantasm" it give them supernatural power, you can power up those weapons by putting spirit inside it which require killing people, so in short the more you kill the stronger you get

I could go into more detail but post will be too long and there something they are yet to explain in the anime
Devil_SlayerOct 27, 2017 1:26 PM
Oct 27, 2017 1:25 PM

Sep 2013
LMAO talk about read the visual novel mindset, they could have atleast said why kasumi was killing, she needed to gather souls to powerup ren.
Oct 27, 2017 1:26 PM

Jul 2010
I liked the first two episodes but this one was kinda meh... the pacing was a mess and the whole thing about Kasumi was way too rushed unfortunatly.

The Mercurius sitting on the throne bit was amazing tho.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2017 1:32 PM

Jul 2014
ovy7 said:
Devil_Slayer said:

Isn't Hajun part of the Kajiri Kamui Kagura visual novel. I know there are some relations between DI and KKK, but why would he appear here if he didn't appear in the vn?

KKK is sequel for DI take place in the same universe but in the far distant future, Hajun did appear during the events of DI but they don't show it in the VN yes, we never saw Merc sitting on the throne in the actual novel so i though they may do us some fanservice and show us Hajun

DI author didn't though of KKK yet when he made DI first
Oct 27, 2017 1:34 PM

Oct 2010
The cut Rusalka scenes in the beginning of this episode will be added in the BDs.

Here are some scenes that were cut for the Rusalka fans: https://twitter.com/masada_takashi/status/923948640174927872
Oct 27, 2017 1:39 PM

Aug 2015
Devil_Slayer said:
ovy7 said:

KKK is sequel for DI take place in the same universe but in the far distant future, Hajun did appear during the events of DI but they don't show it in the VN yes, we never saw Merc sitting on the throne in the actual novel so i though they may do us some fanservice and show us Hajun

I thought it was more of a 'what if' scenario that was averted by
, or at least that's what I understood from the internet.

And yeah, Mercurius on the Throne was definitely fanservice.
Oct 27, 2017 1:48 PM

Aug 2013
I feel like I have to read the VN to even get into this but since this anime has failed in every possible aspect to even make me remotely curious about what happens in the source, it's time to banish this from my mind altogether. Again, the only good thing about this series is the OST including the OP and ED. Another one for the drop bucket.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 27, 2017 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
YoxalLoyal said:
The cut Rusalka scenes in the beginning of this episode will be added in the BDs.

Here are some scenes that were cut for the Rusalka fans: https://twitter.com/masada_takashi/status/923948640174927872

I'm not an VN reader but I'm just gonna assume they wanted to do that in order to make space for the rest of the other content.
Oct 27, 2017 1:57 PM

Jul 2014
ovy7 said:
Devil_Slayer said:

KKK is like Saint Seiya Omega if you know what i mean
Oct 27, 2017 2:04 PM

Nov 2015
First of all the series is indeed complicated, do you have to watch episode 0 to understand?

Okayy so Kasumi is a holy relic that needs to kill people for powering up Ren? Did someone took over her soul, the Merc guy, or is her sole purpose in life giving power to Ren? Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2017 2:27 PM

Jan 2016
The only thing this has going for itself is the glorious soundtrack
Oct 27, 2017 2:54 PM
Mar 2016
I don't get it what's the deal with Kasumi that she just went amuck and started killing ramdomly, also how the hell did Ren got the neck scar, I mean what's the deal here?
Oct 27, 2017 2:56 PM

Oct 2015
woah, this went alot faster than i thought. I thought Kasumi going berserk was gonna be for next episode. Also there was supposed to be a chase scene on the bridge where Wilhelm and Rusalka try to catch Kasumi but failed. RIP chase scene.

They just blazed through probably the part where non-VN readers could understand whats going on without, the Rusalka scene, which is sad. It was supposed to be info dump scene where the reader starts to get a somewhat vague idea of what's going and what the Nazis want.

And as much as i like Kasumi, i doubt anyone will care about her given that they sped through the parts where you learn about her and her relationship with Ren. I managed to pick up the ques on that only with my VN knowledge.

And i can already hear people screaming asspull when Ren somehow managed to pacify Kasumi. It isnt. ovy7 's comment explains it. Granted, Kei did explain it to Ren albeit in a rushed and somewhat vague manner.
ovy7 said:
For those who didn't understand the 'Kasumi is the murderer' thing: Basically, the magic here runs on souls. The more you have, the better (the quality of souls also matter), and Ren needed souls to get more powerful. So he, unknowingly, makes Kasumi his surrogate, giving her his powers so she can murder people and get souls for him. Again, all of this was done without Ren's awareness by Mercurius so Ren can get stronger so he can fight the 'nazis'. Why? Well, it gets complicated and kinda spoilery, but if someone wants to know I'll tell them.

I swear every time i come to the episode discussion for this show i feel like im playing damage control for non-VN readers. Do other VN readers feel the same? I really liked this series, but the anime is just so... sighs

@Admiral_Carapils
No, it will just confuse more actually. Episode 0 is a side story you're not supposed to watch until later in the story.

Not Kasumi, but rather the one possesing her is the one killing people to power up Ren. Ovy7's comment explains it.

@Whoahoho
The neck scar is a sign that he officially takes ownership of the power Kasumi was using. It stopped hurting him when he stopped being afraid of it cause it was supposed to be Ren's power in the first place.

As for why Kasumi went berserk, ill sum it up as Ren's power desperately want to kill people in order to power up for it's master. Hopefully next episode they'll explain it better.
OutlawedDrifterOct 27, 2017 3:00 PM
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Oct 27, 2017 3:11 PM
Jul 2017
Alright so wich one of you handsome ogaku devils is goibg to explain to me what in the shit that just happend because i sure as all hell does not have a single trace of a clue!!
Line emm up boys!!
OP so epic though!
Oct 27, 2017 3:12 PM

Aug 2015
Devil_Slayer said:
ovy7 said:

I...don't. I've never watched Saint Seiya. Is it good?
Oct 27, 2017 3:13 PM

Aug 2015
Troll12345678966 said:
Alright so wich one of you handsome ogaku devils is goibg to explain to me what in the shit that just happend because i sure as all hell does not have a single trace of a clue!!
Line emm up boys!!
OP so epic though!

Here:
Oct 27, 2017 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Liked this episode as well. What was hype, was the remixed version of Krieg(The OST I was waiting for). Scores so low, yet I actually like the adaption.
removed-userOct 27, 2017 6:24 PM
Oct 27, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2014
ovy7 said:
Devil_Slayer said:

I...don't. I've never watched Saint Seiya. Is it good?

Well it's alternative sequel for DI, the battle with hajun have two outcomes

1- Gods win = Go to Rea route

2-Hajun win = Go to KKK

and Yeah Saint Seiya is good
Oct 27, 2017 6:15 PM
Feb 2016
@VIKINGUBERMENSCH
You shouldn't have to explain anything, in this episode they explained a lot of things but people here aren't paying attention and then come asking to be spoonfed about things that were shown or outright said by the characters. They don't bother trying to understand what they're watching I remember Unlimited Blade Works being the same there's dozens of visual cues or dialogues that people didn't bother to pay attention and then said it was never mentioned in the anime(Shirou copying Archer's fighting style for example).

If you can't follow simple things like Kasumi being forced to kill by Mercurius which is outright stated then you're probably just dumb.
Oct 27, 2017 9:54 PM

Jan 2017
With the type of storytelling the show seems to have, I'm going to assume things will make more sense the further along we get. I just hope the payoff is worth it in the end.
Oct 28, 2017 1:49 AM

Jul 2014
Right, so if I'm actually following this correctly (which is not especially likely with how all-over-the-place this is) Mercurius possessed Kasumi and made her kill people to help Ren get stronger and also to open that First Swastika thing, whatever that is (I'm assuming something to do with Heydrich, given that the Priest mentioned him after it opened). Yeah, I'm just gonna go with the flow at this point, cos it's obviously not going to become massively clear anytime soon.
Oct 28, 2017 2:07 AM

Aug 2015
Atavistic said:
Right, so if I'm actually following this correctly (which is not especially likely with how all-over-the-place this is) Mercurius possessed Kasumi and made her kill people to help Ren get stronger and also to open that First Swastika thing, whatever that is (I'm assuming something to do with Heydrich, given that the Priest mentioned him after it opened). Yeah, I'm just gonna go with the flow at this point, cos it's obviously not going to become massively clear anytime soon.

You are correct.

The swastikas should be explained a little later into the story, but they are some sort of seals that need to be open for the antagonist to use his full power.
Oct 28, 2017 2:34 AM

Jul 2011
The sub is shit goddammit.
Oct 28, 2017 2:41 AM
Nov 2016
Err... Okay. I get a little of the story but it's still confusing as hell, mainly because the anime isn't making anything clear..... Seems like only the VN people know what this is about.
Oct 28, 2017 2:45 AM

Nov 2015
Thanks for clearing up my question but there is sth else i was wondering about:

The guy with the blond hair and glasses, the priest, previous ep he was the father of the girl with the white hair and now he is working together with the nazi's?
Oct 28, 2017 2:54 AM

Apr 2017
Prologue End

>Ever got that feeling of Deja vu?

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 28, 2017 3:01 AM

Aug 2015
Admiral_Carapils said:

The guy with the blond hair and glasses, the priest, previous ep he was the father of the girl with the white hair and now he is working together with the nazi's?

The priest is not the father of Rea, he is more like a father figure to her. I blame the subs for this, not the anime.

And for working with the nazis: you already should know this as he appeared at the end of ep 1 with Rusalka(the red hair girl) and Bey(the white hair dude) under the bridge. In episode 2 he also speaks with Sakurai (the black hair girl) after the MC leaves the church.
Oct 28, 2017 3:20 AM

Nov 2015
ovy7 said:
Admiral_Carapils said:

The priest is not the father of Rea, he is more like a father figure to her. I blame the subs for this, not the anime.

And for working with the nazis: you already should know this as he appeared at the end of ep 1 with Rusalka(the red hair girl) and Bey(the white hair dude) under the bridge. In episode 2 he also speaks with Sakurai (the black hair girl) after the MC leaves the church.

Right thank you! Completely forgot the bridge scene! Thanks for clearing it up.
Oct 28, 2017 3:41 AM

Jul 2015
nekrot1co0 said:

I really like people who say that there is no sense at the moment and that it is confused. You got stuck on episode 0 or what?

LDO's come to integrate Ren's life.

He is asked to prepare for important things for the future.

Some details will attack Ren's entourage. And why all this? We do not know, but you think that we will tell everything from the first episodes? it does not help to put suspense on it if you want to know everything from the beginning.
That's all. I discover the visual novel with this anime and I understand what is happening, I guess to think about the details like the words of Mercurius or the Kasumi medal is too much for a lot of people. Episode 0 is a very confusing episode, but what is happening now, omg, there is nothing difficult to understand.

The only thing I really regret is the rush that a lot of people know about the visual novel criticism, and I can understand because it's a shame. After, if the main events are present, it is just as profitable.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is the VN as bad as the anime?

FireFistYK - Dec 9, 2017

13 by Nekoburger »»
Sep 11, 3:55 PM

» Shinza Banshou

AkatsukiUlquiora - Dec 1, 2020

3 by InstantRamenKing »»
Apr 26, 2023 5:54 AM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2017

78 by NoviSun »»
Mar 20, 2021 12:58 PM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2017

76 by Vindicater »»
Oct 19, 2020 4:07 AM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

63 by Vindicater »»
Oct 15, 2020 2:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.