Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Did you play the game before watching Hanamaru?
Oct 31, 2016 6:54 AM

Apr 2016
Was wondering how many of you guys started watching Hanamaru before playing the game.
Oct 31, 2016 1:22 PM

Sep 2012
I think is pretty hard to understand or like the anime if you don't play the game or are familiar with the characters. Anyway I get one of my friends to watch it and she's enyoying it since I used to talk about the game a lot hahaha
Oct 31, 2016 10:00 PM

Apr 2016
rorcual said:
I get one of my friends to watch it and she's enyoying it since I used to talk about the game a lot hahaha

I did the same but my friend dropped it after like.. half an episode >.<
Nov 1, 2016 12:41 AM

Jul 2014
I was originally planning to watch Hanamaru before playing the game (because I'm not really a games person), but alas... I looked at too many Imanotsurugi pictures and couldn't stop myself.
Nov 1, 2016 8:29 AM

Oct 2016
No I haven't and people shit on me for not playing it. I shouldn't have to have played the game to enjoy the anime. If it is to be a good anime then it needs to be able to stand alone as a separate medium to tell the story and appeal to fans and newcomers alike is my view on the whole thing.
Check out my blog - Very new and a work in progress ~
Nov 1, 2016 10:29 AM

Oct 2016
Yeap I played the game before watching Hanamaru. Good thing too because this anime mostly caters to people who know of the game and the characters. It has a lot of inside jokes that only the fandom would understand. I'm glad I was into Touken Ranbu before Hanamaru came out haha because it makes the experience much more enjoyable, in my opinion. I think the anime can still be fun even if you haven't okayed the game, though.
Nov 1, 2016 10:38 AM

Oct 2016
RainShift said:
No I haven't and people shit on me for not playing it. I shouldn't have to have played the game to enjoy the anime. If it is to be a good anime then it needs to be able to stand alone as a separate medium to tell the story and appeal to fans and newcomers alike is my view on the whole thing.

Who shits on you exactly? The fandom? I think for the most part, the backlash against nonfans of TKRB comes from people shitting on the Anime without a basic understanding of the premise. Its not really a concept that's hard to understand. The entire premise of the Anime is inanimate famous weapons being brought to life so they can stop the enemy ( or historical revisionists ) from changing the past. The only things that should be hard to understand are the back stories of the swords ( which could be cleared by a Google search of the swords name or who they were owned by ) and the inside jokes that only the fandom would understand. Other than that, its a slice of life anime that basically has everything laid out for you. I have not seen any TKRB fans being outright malicious toward anyone who hasn't played the game. Its more people who haven't played the game and refuse to understand the concept before shitting on it that cause more of a stir in the touken ranbu community.
Nov 1, 2016 10:55 AM

Oct 2016
MikazukiRanbu said:

Who shits on you exactly? The fandom? I think for the most part, the backlash against nonfans of TKRB comes from people shitting on the Anime without a basic understanding of the premise. Its not really a concept that's hard to understand. The entire premise of the Anime is inanimate famous weapons being brought to life so they can stop the enemy ( or historical revisionists ) from changing the past. The only things that should be hard to understand are the back stories of the swords ( which could be cleared by a Google search of the swords name or who they were owned by ) and the inside jokes that only the fandom would understand. Other than that, its a slice of life anime that basically has everything laid out for you. I have not seen any TKRB fans being outright malicious toward anyone who hasn't played the game. Its more people who haven't played the game and refuse to understand the concept before shitting on it that cause more of a stir in the touken ranbu community.

Yeah it's the community. I've never shat on the community itself, just pointed out flaws with the anime. Even if I had played the game beforehand it wouldn't change some of the obvious flaws the anime has. Same with Danganronpa; I love the game but the anime adaptation was mind bogglingly bad.
Check out my blog - Very new and a work in progress ~
Nov 1, 2016 11:12 AM

Oct 2016
RainShift said:
MikazukiRanbu said:

Yeah it's the community. I've never shat on the community itself, just pointed out flaws with the anime. Even if I had played the game beforehand it wouldn't change some of the obvious flaws the anime has. Same with Danganronpa; I love the game but the anime adaptation was mind bogglingly bad.

I do agree that the Anime did do a bad job at making itself watchable for people who have and haven't played the game ( I mean in episode one, it tried to force a lot of exposition in and was INCREDIBLY sloppy about it. ) but the Anime isn't trying to bring a lot to the table. I really do believe that it was made solely to be fan service for people who played the game and to prepare us for the second Anime adaptation by Studio Ufotable that is going to be notably darker. As opposed to the west, J
Hanamaru is doing incredibly well in Japan with fans and nonfans of TKRB alike but its likely due to the fact that slice of life Anime are more popular over there than they are here. Its just mindless pandering fun for the fandom. Flawed- but people in the fandom overlook it because it's not meant to be taken seriously in the first place. It kinda has a ' when you first start playing Touken Ranbu but you have no idea what you're doing " vibe that only the fandom would understand. The biggest flaw was just not making it watchable enough for new audiences but if you look at it as nonsensical fun like its ( mostly ) intended to be, I think it'll be more enjoyable? Maybe take a look at the fandom and the game itself ( or maybe just the wikia if you don't want to play it ) to get a better understanding. Everyone in the fandoms pretty friendly, anyway so I doubt they'd have a problem answering your questions. 8)

I personally don't think Hanamaru is a terrible adaptation. As a person that p!ayed the game, its mostly accurate. Most of The character portrayals, some of the designs, the relationships ( some of which have yet to be touched upon in game. Its a process ), the concept. It is definitely missing some things that made touken ranbu well- touken ranbu but its a decent adaptation. I recommend you give the game a try if you feel like it. Its fun and its incredibly popular for a reason.
Nov 1, 2016 7:11 PM

Mar 2013
aoisune said:
rorcual said:
I get one of my friends to watch it and she's enyoying it since I used to talk about the game a lot hahaha

I did the same but my friend dropped it after like.. half an episode >.<

Same, I explained all of the sword types and histories to my friend but suddenly she dropped hanamaru.
honokiNov 1, 2016 7:18 PM
Nov 1, 2016 7:25 PM

Oct 2015
I checked episode 1 and I didn't know what was going on so I dropped it. I might pick it up again maybe when the other touken ranbu anime gives sufficient info or when I play the game ( I didn't score it btw )
Nov 2, 2016 1:07 PM

Mar 2008
No, I didn't play the game but before watching, I checked out the swords' descriptions and dialogues on the wikia page to get a sense of their characters and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
Nov 3, 2016 9:03 PM
Apr 2014
yes, I do. Just returned recently to get the new event sword.

the anime seems to potray the characters pretty differently from the games, in my opinion. They seem pretty happier on the animes, notably the Samonjis.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2016

33 by lunarches »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:12 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2016

33 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:15 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2016

22 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:07 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2016

12 by iamafreak »»
Feb 15, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2016

173 by Guts-Valley »»
Jun 7, 2022 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.