Forum Settings
Forums

FOT (Food For Thought) : Is it necessary for users to understand the technology they use?

New
Jul 12, 2015 5:56 PM
Jul 2015
This is a debatable idea that I have been discussing at school, and although this topic doesn't really collide with anime much, its still an interesting topic to talk about and I hope that thats alright.

To start off, I would like to state my beliefs regarding this topic. I believe that the answer to whether or not users need to understand the technology they use is no.
Although beneficial in many ways I disagree that understanding technology to be able to use it should not be considered a necessity. My main reason for this is because there are millions of people that are not well informed on how technology works yet still use it anyways. An article featured in Quartz has shown that millions of Facebook users do not even know that they are using the internet. That is only Facebook, one of many things considered as technology. Right now, I am typing, however, what I know is that whatever key I press represents each letter and that letter is now on my screen, I don't know how or why that is so, but I still know how to use it and I still benefit from being able to type. Anyone could memorise an iPad's passcode and unlock that iPad but that doesn't mean that they know what is going on in the system that allows that to happen. Nowadays, even a toddler could open an application because he knows that clicking a specific icon leads him to a specific app, this doesn't mean that the toddler knows why or whats happening to cause it. When my 2 year old brother opens YouTube on our family iPad, he knows to go to the search bar, and input the letter 'a' and 'animal song' will automatically be suggested due to how many times he has watched it, he knows to click that and to click on the video that he would like to watch. A two-year old could do all this using the technology he is given despite not knowing how the technology works.

To wrap up my argument, I would like to say that it is not necessary for users to understand the technology they use to be able to access its functions and use it. Thanks.. ^w^
koneko-chiiJul 12, 2015 6:24 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime Brawl: Log Horizon VS Sword Art Online

Barbarian1 - Nov 3, 2014

2 by koneko-chii »»
Jul 12, 2015 9:41 AM

» FOT (Food For Thought) What is anime?

Barbarian1 - Nov 3, 2014

0 by Barbarian1 »»
Nov 3, 2014 2:19 PM

» Anime Character Brawl: Mikasa Ackerman (AOT) Vs Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki)

Barbarian1 - Nov 3, 2014

0 by Barbarian1 »»
Nov 3, 2014 2:05 PM

» Suggestion Box

Barbarian1 - Nov 3, 2014

0 by Barbarian1 »»
Nov 3, 2014 1:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.