Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2009 7:20 PM
Oct 2008
I'm just wondering... Which one' the better? the Subbed version or the Dubbed version? I'm just curious on others opinion... maybe there's a difference if you watch it in different versions, that's all... :D
Dec 24, 2009 10:57 PM
Dec 2009
IDK.I've been watching it dubbed so I wouldnt know which is better.
Jan 3, 2010 8:56 AM

Dec 2008
Original is always better.
Jan 23, 2010 3:52 AM

Mar 2009
I don't think the original is always better, It depends if you can stand the sound of some of the voice actors (Some Japanese and some english VA's annoy me, their voices grate on my nerves).
I just finished watching the dub, I don't know if I'll try the sub some time or not, but I thought the dub was FANTASTIC. They did a wonderful job matching the words with the lip movements and I loved it, I really did ^^
I’ve seen Scrapped Princess in Sub and Dub, I like it better in Sub, Same goes for Sousei no Aquarion, but I like that better dubbed. It depends on the person honestly.
Feb 6, 2010 7:04 PM

May 2009
[Subjective Commenting is Subjective ;D] I actually have seen both versions of this anime, (I watched the dub up to episode 10 and then the sub, and then the dub again) so here we go.

Often, it really just depends on who's directing. A better director equals a better dub. He has a vision and will prompt the actors to do his bidding. Likewise, an uninterested or inexperienced director will produce a mediocre or cruddy dub. Seirei no Moribito didn't have a horrible dub, but I have individual nitpicks for the characters.

In the dub, sometimes I felt like there wasn't enough convincing emotion coming from the characters -- Tanda being the worst. There were times where he needed to sound angry, or disappointed, and his voice just didn't convey that thought.

As for Chagum's dubbed voice... it just kind of bugged me. Kind of nasally, and the script itself for his dialogue just wasn't childish enough, in my opinion. The Japanese Chagum was much cuter and endearing; I wish they would have matched him better.

Madame Torougai was fantastic! I adore the actor's work in this show. Balsa's actor was a spectacular choice that suited the character well--a little husky, but very motherly--but like Tanda, sometimes I didn't get enough emotion coming from her voice.

Overall, Seirei no Moribito's dub wasn't too shabby. Always could have been better, but it wasn't that bad. For the most part, the flap-matching felt very natural, and the voices fit the characters well (except for Chagum's). Just needed more emotion!
Feb 6, 2010 9:46 PM

Oct 2008
windeen-windy said:
I don't think the original is always better, It depends if you can stand the sound of some of the voice actors (Some Japanese and some english VA's annoy me, their voices grate on my nerves).
I just finished watching the dub, I don't know if I'll try the sub some time or not, but I thought the dub was FANTASTIC. They did a wonderful job matching the words with the lip movements and I loved it, I really did ^^
I’ve seen Scrapped Princess in Sub and Dub, I like it better in Sub, Same goes for Sousei no Aquarion, but I like that better dubbed. It depends on the person honestly.

I may be babbling about stuff you already know, but I think there's more to dubbing than knowing which voice sounds more appealing, if they sound like their Japanese counterpart, or if the mouth flaps are always on cue. Rather it's about capturing the essence of the character both physically and mentally, acting out according to their personality and finding the same precise emotion as the character. I've also heard somewhere that in since in dubbing the acting is more so applied to the voice and timing of mouth flaps as oppose to using gesture in regular acting, it's more technical and complex.

As far as comparing the Japanese and english audio in Moribito, I can't really share my 2 cents on it since I never actually watched Moribito in Japanese audio. Though I would like to find out and purchase the DVDs at some point.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 23, 2007

61 by Safrichh »»
Oct 16, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 18 Discussion

mild_even - Aug 14, 2007

34 by Safrichh »»
Oct 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 9, 2007

51 by Safrichh »»
Oct 5, 8:45 PM

» What do you think of Seirei no Moribito?

medicalmidget - Aug 19, 2011

16 by TransferUser »»
Sep 23, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 16 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
Sep 21, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.