Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 2, 2009 4:23 PM

Apr 2008
Had a little time on my hands and have a slightly difficult friend that only started to watch Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, she seemed to be a little behind in some of the background of Masaki lineage so just for the fun of it, wrote up a list of what to watch. Also, figured to post this in a topic just in case anyone else might need it.

My preferred chronological order of Tenchi Muyo!:

The first series consisted of the original Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVAs. In this series Masaki had unique powers unlike the more familiar second series, Tenchi Universe. Roughly this series is 20 episode.

Ryo-Ohki OVA 1 consists of episodes 1 through 6.
Movie - Tenchi Muyo! Daughter of Darkness (I placed this here because it takes place after the first OVA, however it seems to ingore the second and third OVA.)
Episode 7 is a special known as The Night Before hte Carnival
Ryo-Ohki OVA 2 consists of episodes 8 through 13 including bonus episode 13.5.
Ryo-Ohki OVA 3 consists of episodes 14 through 19
Episode 20 is a special.

The later series which most people is more common with is Tenchi Universe. Unlike the OVAs Masaka Tenshi doesn't have any special Jurai powers yet his power comes from the Sword Tenchi.

This alternate telling of the story consists in order of:
Season - Tenchi Universe
Movie - Tenchi Muyo! in Love (takes place after Tenchi Universe)
Movie - Tenchi Forever! (also known as Tenchi Muyo! in Love 2)
Season - Tenchi in Tokyo - This could take place after Tenchi Universe (although entirely different story from the OVAs and the previous season)
Season - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - This takes place in the Tenchi universe, however has a separate story line with different characters, loosely based on the previous original characters of the season Tenchi Universe.

Which than brings you to the currently airing series, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari. Most people would consider this to be a spin-off of the Ryo-Ohki OVAs.

Edit: I forgot to include Mahou Shoujo Pretty Sammy and Mahou Shoujo Pretty Sammy TV, this OVA and season holds no connection other than the characters between Ryo-Ohki OVAs and Tenchi Universe

Hopefully this would help most people who haven't yet picked up this series -- shame on you :-p -- and with this you can fully enjoy the amazing series of Tenchi Muyo. Just try to keep in mind that the OVAs hold no relation what-so-ever to the later series, even though Ryo-Ohki OVA 3 was produced at a later date.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 5, 2009 10:10 PM

Feb 2008
Daughter of Darkness actually doesn't belong to either the OAV continuity, and does ignore some aspects of Universe and borrows from the OAV. It's somewhat in a category of it's own as it's based off one of the novels of screen writer Hasegawa Naoko which were written after the first OAV but don't follow Kajishima-sensei's background, which is the background that applies to the somewhat related series like Isekai no Sekishi Monogotari and Dual.

Also, GXP is an official part of the canon of the OAV and happens a year after OAV 3, but I find it somewhat useful to watch before OAV 3 (like it aired) since it does introduce you to characters you see in OAV 3.

Always fun to introduce a friend to Tenchi :D Though, even with your recommended viewing there may still be some gaps in the lineage knowledge, as the Tenchi universe is so nebulous, and Kajishima-sensei doesn't always do the best job of making sense and closing plot holes ^_^' plus there's all the info that's only in the novels *sigh*
Oct 5, 2009 10:24 PM

Apr 2008
That was the best place i could fit in daughter of darkness. I mean the character design was from tenchi universe but the plot fits in better with the OVA , considering tenchi had the wings of jurai in the movie

I had trouble figuring out where to place GXP mainly because it has very loose references towards the OVA or univsere , but thank you for bringin that to my attention ... i just kept in mind of "copy paste" what i e-mailed my friend
Oct 24, 2009 1:59 PM
Dec 2008
I refuse to watch GXP anymore..that piece of crap. And never again that HORRIBLE piece of $&*! movie Tenchi Forever. Maybe the OVA 3 but I hate the new voices.

My marathon...watch everything Tenchi related..except those three in English. Then watch it all over again in Japanese.

Last time i had a tenchi marathon, i camped out infront of my TV. Ahh...good times. Good times.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» little help plz :S

ryan5514 - Jan 4, 2010

1 by SoloButterfly »»
Jan 25, 2010 9:01 PM

» Ryoko,Washu,Sakuya.

Trimto - Jun 25, 2008

13 by Trimto »»
Nov 25, 2009 3:26 PM

» Tenchi Muyo...villains?

RogerZaraki - Oct 21, 2009

1 by Altiryoko »»
Oct 24, 2009 2:02 PM

» If you where a tenchi muyo character which would you be...

Trimto - Jul 4, 2008

5 by RogerZaraki »»
Oct 21, 2009 4:18 PM

» Favorite Tenchi movie/season?

AoiMemori - Jul 5, 2008

10 by SoloButterfly »»
Oct 19, 2009 6:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.