Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2022 9:06 AM
Jul 2021
cant wait to see him shredding bethhoven in isekai while in unltra villain instint
Oct 5, 2022 9:06 AM

Oct 2015
Haaaaaaaaaaa????!!!!!?????
Oct 5, 2022 9:08 AM

Feb 2019
Mimaaaaaaa said:
It's the worst adaptation of the first episode so far. It's like the studio doesn't even try to understand what the story is actually trying to tell and just goes 'hey people like edgy, super serious MC right? Well just made him as generic as other isekai MC'.

Goddammit i hope they're just trolling with this first episode and back to what Eminence of shadow supposed to be on the second episode.

Well, I don't know anything about the source material - haven't even heard about the anima/manga until I watched ep1 basically an hour ago - so I might be wrong here, but for me it looked like they tried to wrap the recently isekai-usual exposition-dump into a narration by a 3rd party character and not the protagonist itself.

It's hard to tell what the actual intentions were, but if we assume that the people in charge of the show know at least a bit about storytelling it wouldn't be strange if they purposefully went with the 'unreliable narrator' method by letting the girl tell the prologue from her perspective. OF COURSE the way the protagonist appears would be different from how he is portrayed in the rest of the show, what usually is told first person or by another - more objective - narration method.

What I can tell for sure though - is that the style of the introduction they went with managed to hook me - and this surely is the first isekai this season that managed to do that.
Keep in mind; even after watching the first episode and skimming over the synopsis, I know basically nothing about the story - so if the had went with your usual introduction chances would be that I already dropped it after ep1.

That aside... it actually never were common practice and established to portray a 'deeper main character' in their totality in ep1 of a TV series - there would be ways to pull this off for sure - but it's acutally not really common practice. You want to keep some room for character development - by presenting the totality of a complex character in the very first minutes, you rob yourself of enourmous potential later on in the narrative. And THAT'S exactly what makes your 08/15 isekai with exposition-dump in ep1 as bad as they are known for - so I'm glad this show didn't do it that way...

Oct 5, 2022 9:09 AM

Aug 2013
Ayo what the fuck kinda start was that? Completely had me fooled, then of course the truck attacks. Random start that I was not expecting but for now I'll potentially keep up with this weekly.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 5, 2022 9:13 AM

Feb 2019
A two cour isekai that takes an entire episode to get to the isekai part and flesh out the motivations and backstory of the mc? Sign me tf up. Seen a lot of people complaining that they didn’t start wit volume 1, but I like what they did and think it makes more sense from a storytelling perspective. Really had fun with this first episode and looking forward to where it goes.

OP slaps, OxT did a great job. can’t wait for next week
Marinate1016Oct 5, 2022 9:18 AM
Oct 5, 2022 9:14 AM

Jul 2015
This introduction using Volume 4 prologue basically set in stone that they're adapting everything available.
Oct 5, 2022 9:15 AM
Apr 2020
I can't wait to see cid foolishness and comedic misconceptions in the later part.
Oct 5, 2022 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
well, it went beyond my expectations... was actually very good and entertaining for the first episode.
that OP reminded me of overlord op and turns out it is by the same band.
Oct 5, 2022 9:17 AM

Apr 2021
PoisonedTea said:
So generic Isekai.

what a disappointing start.

Also he is a murderer. But the show is trying to make it feel he not a villain. This episode has so clashing tones. In stead of calling cops on what he saw he took justice into his own hands, I thought we were getting a different type of Light Yagami for a sec.
people will complain about anything huh
Oct 5, 2022 9:21 AM

Apr 2021
Erixsen said:
I only read the manga of this series, and I thought the first chapter was hilarious.
But it seems like the anime is following the light novel. I didn't know the light novel this much different from the manga.
the start of the ln and manga is same
Rather this episode was adapted from volume 4 prologue
Oct 5, 2022 9:25 AM

May 2016
Has there ever been an isekai with such a long pre life like that? It seemed weird. they were really building the black haired girl up a lot more.
Oct 5, 2022 9:26 AM

Jun 2014
I don't remember if I put this on my PTW without reading the synopsis or if I read the synopsis then just forgot about it but I completely forgot this is an isekai lol. Probably because it took so long to actually get to the isekai part. Anyway, it actually wasn't too bad, the first episode gave a decent first impression so hopefully it maintains that as it continues airing.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 5, 2022 9:28 AM
Apr 2018
SunlitSonata said:
Inexplicable said:

Awww I'm afraid you're a bit late and the script has already been written.. too bad.

That was meant to be rhetorical. It's an unfortunate taste of the incompetency and overcompensation of this author. Also, you have Darling in the FranXX as a favorite. Clearly your standards for quality have long since given up.

You know the whole reason why anime usually comes in multiple episodes? So they can explore and explain the plot later down line dank it. We didn't know anything about the backstory of many characters in almost every anime until later episodes.

Also, this anime is supposed to be a light-mystery and parody anime so aren't you a bit serious about it.

On the other hand, having shit show as a fav doesn't say anything about his/her thought process. For some people, berserk was a good show but they prefer to watch 100 seasons of demon slayer more. Heck even gigguk, who watch thousands of animes still choose domestic girlfriend as a fav.
Oct 5, 2022 9:28 AM
Jun 2021
jh666 said:
Softhenic03 said:
One of those anticipated series this season which really ain’t something we see for an isekai usually, blame the mass-produced junk we get every season.

For a first appearance main dude may seem like a gloomy black-haired high-schooler, the creature we’re all over familiar with but no people have a hidden side, the persona they want to see themselves in and yep without being an exception to the human psychology, he too admires to be something, “Eminence in shadow”.

I don’t think we’ll see Nishino Akane, the girl Cid saved from those goons again as now that he’s already iskeai’d but still kinda cool getting those action scenes and handful of gore right off the bat. So really the kind of premiere which makes that much anticipation worth it.

It has 20 episode so we can probably asume that it will adapt about 10 manga volumes. Depends if they want to go in full detail or regular pacing
Oct 5, 2022 9:29 AM

Oct 2021
What makes this show good is the comedy, sacrificing it for the sake of a decent serious storyline ain't worth it.
SunlitSonata said:
Inexplicable said:

Awww I'm afraid you're a bit late and the script has already been written.. too bad.

That was meant to be rhetorical. It's an unfortunate taste of the incompetency and overcompensation of this author. Also, you have Darling in the FranXX as a favorite. Clearly your standards for quality have long since given up.

Don't blame the author for the horniness of the anime, there is no stripping and rape threats in the original source.
Oct 5, 2022 9:30 AM
Oct 2016
Much better than I expected!
Oct 5, 2022 9:31 AM
Apr 2018
PoisonedTea said:
So generic Isekai.

what a disappointing start.

Also he is a murderer. But the show is trying to make it feel he not a villain. This episode has so clashing tones. In stead of calling cops on what he saw he took justice into his own hands, I thought we were getting a different type of Light Yagami for a sec.

its more like konosuba and overlord mixed together rather than anything else. The MC was an embodiment of an chuni edgelord.
Oct 5, 2022 9:32 AM
Jun 2021
kuroneko99 said:
I thought the show was a comedy from its title, but it's more violent than I thought. And it turned out a mere cingy isekai story after all.

People who immediatly start hating an anime because its an Isekai even without knowing what it is seem so stupid to me. This is an isekai but its a type of Overlord+Konosuba type of isekai with an oblivious mc and thats what makes this series a comedy
Oct 5, 2022 9:33 AM
Jun 2021
smallchungus said:
I havent read the Light novel
I have read some chapters of the manga and its funny af
The anime adaptation feels a lot more serious tbh

Its just the first episode and aparently most of it is anime original inteoduction so we’ll see
Oct 5, 2022 9:33 AM

Nov 2016
If I had to describe this with a few words "Fucking edgy chuuni power fantasy"

This is however more entertaining than COTE and thankfully not rushed. Nice start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 5, 2022 9:35 AM

Feb 2022
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Has there ever been an isekai with such a long pre life like that? It seemed weird. they were really building the black haired girl up a lot more.

Oct 5, 2022 9:37 AM
Nov 2010
KatsukiKaito said:

It has 20 episode so we can probably asume that it will adapt about 10 manga volumes. Depends if they want to go in full detail or regular pacing

Uh, the manga doesn't even have 10 volumes yet... Only 7 volumes so far.

Also, it's more going to adapt the source light novel rather than the manga.
Nov 2021
This is the best episode
damn it was very good and they showed the past of cid before he'd got isekai'd
can't wait until next episode
Nov 2019
SunlitSonata said:
To writers:

If you, for any reason, need to use kidnapping, stripping and rape threats on an otherwise irrelevant female character so male lead Awesome McCool Guy can come in for the save and spout edgy nonsense, shortly before being ISEKAIED into being the leader of a group of super assassins clothed in black. . . .

Don't. Just don't. Please seek help; you clearly didn't get enough attention in highschool.

Mar 2022
Actually half of the episode is from vol 4 (light novel) then second half of the episode is from vol 1 light novel…..Well cant wait for the next ep tho!!!
Oct 5, 2022 9:38 AM
Dec 2021
SunlitSonata said:
To writers:

If you, for any reason, need to use kidnapping, stripping and rape threats on an otherwise irrelevant female character so male lead Awesome McCool Guy can come in for the save and spout edgy nonsense, shortly before being ISEKAIED into being the leader of a group of super assassins clothed in black. . . .

Don't. Just don't. Please seek help; you clearly didn't get enough attention in highschool.

it's not that deep it's just a story, yknow "fiction".
Oct 5, 2022 9:39 AM
Jul 2019
Good episode It was. I'm a little concerned about the animation quality. But it was still ok
Oct 5, 2022 9:39 AM
Apr 2018
kuroneko99 said:
I thought the show was a comedy from its title, but it's more violent than I thought. And it turned out a mere cingy isekai story after all.

episode 2089 of "weebs assume shit"
Oct 5, 2022 9:41 AM
Jun 2021
eplipswich said:
KatsukiKaito said:

Uh, the manga doesn't even have 10 volumes yet... Only 7 volumes so far.

Also, it's more going to adapt the source light novel rather than the manga.

I just asumed that each manga volumes contain 4 chapters and each episode would adapt about 2 chapters and i only read the manga so i dont really know much about the LN
Oct 5, 2022 9:41 AM
Mar 2018
The begining of this anime is so good
Oct 5, 2022 9:42 AM

Jul 2022
Awesome. I wasn't expecting anything from this, haven't read anything. Imagine my surprise when truck-kun makes another successful appearance and we have an isekai.
Cool.
I like the style and the transition from high school to fantasy. Fabulous first episode, definitely on my list and hope they keep it up for the entirety of the 20 (an unusual number - don't see too many of those) episodes.
Cheers!
Oct 5, 2022 9:43 AM
Jun 2021
SunlitSonata said:
To writers:

Here comes the angry twitter police guy. Bro its just an anime. A work of fiction. Kidnaping and shit like this is used frequently in fictional stories. Stop getting so upset about it.
Oct 5, 2022 9:43 AM
Jun 2021
Samyeaager said:
SunlitSonata said:
To writers:

it's not that deep it's just a story, yknow "fiction".

Hes just an irrelevant angry twitter police guy
Oct 5, 2022 9:45 AM

Oct 2016
Ohh! This is so exciting!
Oct 5, 2022 9:46 AM
Mar 2021
Yea, wtf was that? Im reading manga so Im hyped af for this but this first episode put awful taste in my mouth. I really hope they will get their sh*t together or Im droping this. All that was funny about first 3-4 capts of manga went out of window and we got this… I mean I get what they wanted to do, tell prolog from different character perspective but this was huge miss for me…
Oct 5, 2022 9:46 AM

May 2021
great first episode imo. they could have made an entire anime about stylish ruffian slayer and I would've still watched it. the animation was good (hope it stays that way). the op was slappin, as expected from OxT. looking forward to seeing the best and most oblivious mob character in action!
Oct 5, 2022 9:47 AM
Sep 2022
So kinda another isekai. Well atleast it looks a bit more promising than other isekai until time, gotta see how it evolve, it can become a good show or just another mess of overpowered protagonist that is perfect in everything, for the moment just a bit indiferent.
Oct 5, 2022 9:58 AM
Apr 2022
1st Ep was Op really liked it 🌚❤
Oct 5, 2022 10:01 AM
Mar 2022
Also the first half op ep 1 is from vol 4(light novel) the rest of it is from vol 1(light novel)
Oct 5, 2022 10:03 AM

Feb 2020
The anime introduces us two very different personalities, who's paths get connected very soon. This anime shows more brutality than I expected, which in my opinion, if done right, is a good thing. I started watching the first episode without knowing anything about the background or the manga, and until the end I wasn't sure in what direction it would go. The male protagonist is someone who craves power more than anything and is willing to make extreme sacrifices for it. This gives hope for some sort of anti-hero protagonist. Even though the anime seems enjoyable to watch, I am afraid it will turn into some mid isekai. This is already indicated by some very stereotypical isekai elements, for example the protagonist getting hit by a truck or him seemingly being very overpowered in the Isekai-world. But only the future can tell how it will be.
My candies:
Oct 5, 2022 10:04 AM

Aug 2020
Wait what ? I swear the manga wasn't as edgy and boring as this ? I remember reading 1st chapter a LONG time ago , and it was hilarious and at least worth my time . Didnt continue with it but it was a decent read . . So
What the fuck happened here ? What's with cheap edginess and all? I was hoping we had the comedy , but if this is just another cheap edgelord Isekai , I am outta here .
Oct 5, 2022 10:04 AM

Sep 2018
Better than I expect from the first episode. Still, the start of the episode, which was partially taken from the prologue of volume 4 of Light Novel and almost fully skipped the prologue from volume one, disappointed me a bit. Major disappointment was that they sprinted, the reasoning of the MCs wanting to become Shadowdealler. I hope a more detailed explanation for people who do not read Light Novel before watching will be provided in episode two.
Even a bit of gore was shown to watchers in the first episode.
OxT - good performance on opening, but that video for it is kinda funny and kinda cringe how it differs from actual Seven Shadows, but in general ok.
Summarizing of the first episode :
looking as separate anime - 6.5
accurate adaptation - 6
adaptation in general - 6.5
adaptation with changes that don't affect the plot - 8.5

in my opinion, it's between these marks, I'll say it's approx 7.5 for episode one
Oct 5, 2022 10:06 AM
Mar 2022
The first ep is following the light novel but start off with vol 4(light novel) the rest of ep 1 is from vol 1(light novel)
kisaragi_ekiOct 5, 2022 10:12 AM
Oct 5, 2022 10:07 AM
Dec 2017
What an excellent premier episode. You can't ask for much better honestly. Best one so far, out of the ones I've watched (Sword, SpyXFamily)
Oct 5, 2022 10:09 AM

Jul 2014
The isekai shift was really unexpected. I would have been contempt with the starting school setting. We'll see where it's going.
Oct 5, 2022 10:13 AM
Jun 2022
i actually liked it
Oct 5, 2022 10:18 AM

Jun 2020
I read the manga some time ago but I don't remember this incident with Nishino in the manga. Is it a filler or is this in the manga and I have just forgotten it?
Oct 5, 2022 10:23 AM

Mar 2019
the first episode was ok
i can see this being your regular everyday Isekai with a Harem touch
first episode was decent i just hope this show picks up the pace to more than 6/10 rating in my eyes in the rest of episodes
also based on the characters list looks like this will also include incest as well the incest tone will definitely draw more viewers here as well
and honestly i do like incest romance in animes if it's done right so hopefully they don't fk this part up of it
LeonardoXDOct 5, 2022 10:28 AM
Oct 5, 2022 10:25 AM
Nov 2020
This episode felt ridiculously messy. This slow burn intro to set up Cid isnt flawed inherently, but the fact its based on a low effort commemorative volume release side story from the web novel with bonus rapey shit is insane. Everything after the ED felt off aswell.

Entire episode is saved by the fact that our lord and saviour Jimina Senen is in the OP.
Oct 5, 2022 10:25 AM

Feb 2022
TweedleDane said:
Wait what ? I swear the manga wasn't as edgy and boring as this ? I remember reading 1st chapter a LONG time ago , and it was hilarious and at least worth my time . Didnt continue with it but it was a decent read . . So
What the fuck happened here ? What's with cheap edginess and all? I was hoping we had the comedy , but if this is just another cheap edgelord Isekai , I am outta here .

the first episode anime is from epilogue in Volume 4 of Light Novel, in that epilogue tells about cid past life before he died
Pages (15) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Cid still oblivious ?

meteor4000 - Oct 19

11 by meteor4000 »»
6 hours ago

» About Alexia's rejection scene in episode 5

Jatin587 - Oct 16

31 by Sayan_Pal »»
Oct 17, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

773 by Sayan_Pal »»
Oct 12, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

261 by ShadowkillZ »»
Oct 9, 5:27 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2023

124 by ShadowkillZ »»
Oct 9, 3:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.