Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
How is Sword art online
Great
25.9%
Good
34.8%
Bad
12.1%
Waste of time
9.4%
Masterpiece
17.9%
224 votes
Jan 22, 2022 4:55 AM

Mar 2021
Well im apologizing to every SAO fan if i offend them with this but im seeing this since i started watching anime that people really love SAO but whats so great about it. Maybe its good because i didn't watch the sword art online that much only 3 episodes maybe i didn't really find anything worthwhile and i lost my mood than dropped it. If you really wanna watch a romance isn't there other romance anime that are better than it also more better action anime theres even better isekai ni matter what i really can't see any reason for it to get this much hype i think its overrated. Ok i don't wanna write much but whenever a new series or movie comes of SAO people becomes really excited and SAO gets a hype. Is it really worth the hype. Most of the anime of SAO have a score of less than 8 some even have 6 score. The new movie came out maybe its good it has good score and maybe its good. I already said at first that im not someone to talk about because i didn't watch SAO. Sorry if i anyone by saying these things. But really I don't think its that great.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 22, 2022 5:22 AM
Feb 2018
Conservati0nist said:
Well im apologizing to every SAO fan if i offend them with this but im seeing this since i started watching anime that people really love SAO but whats so great about it. Maybe its good because i didn't watch the sword art online that much only 3 episodes maybe i didn't really find anything worthwhile and i lost my mood than dropped it. If you really wanna watch a romance isn't there other romance anime that are better than it also more better action anime theres even better isekai ni matter what i really can't see any reason for it to get this much hype i think its overrated. Ok i don't wanna write much but whenever a new series or movie comes of SAO people becomes really excited and SAO gets a hype. Is it really worth the hype. Most of the anime of SAO have a score of less than 8 some even have 6 score. The new movie came out maybe its good it has good score and maybe its good. I already said at first that im not someone to talk about because i didn't watch SAO. Sorry if i anyone by saying these things. But really I don't think its that great.
Why do you care? Just let people enjoy what they enjoy. Stop making a big deal about it.
Jan 22, 2022 5:53 AM
Feb 2021
Conservati0nist said:
We just love it from our deep heart like how haters hates it just for the sake of hate so that's that.

Also you cannot expect every people to have the same taste as you like how I can't expect everyone to like SAO. As long as SAO keep receiving the new content, we SAO fan happy and we don't care about rigged MAL ranking.
Jan 22, 2022 6:39 AM
Dec 2020
Conservati0nist said:
Jesus SAO fans can’t have anything; one of the only fandoms to have anti-fanbase, a group of people United to hate on it. We like SAO because the plotline is interesting, characters like Asuna, Kirito, Alice, Eugeo, Quinella, snd etc are well written, good animation, and etc. why are you typing an entire essay to basically shit on a series you’ve only seen 3 episodes of? SAO fans can never like anything without people being annoying.
Jan 22, 2022 6:47 AM

May 2021
Conservati0nist said:

Why try to offend in the first place? And on Progressive, of all series?

Jan 22, 2022 7:46 AM

Mar 2021
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
Conservati0nist said:
We just love it from our deep heart like how haters hates it just for the sake of hate so that's that.

Also you cannot expect every people to have the same taste as you like how I can't expect everyone to like SAO. As long as SAO keep receiving the new content, we SAO fan happy and we don't care about rigged MAL ranking.
Jayden896 said:
Conservati0nist said:
Jesus SAO fans can’t have anything; one of the only fandoms to have anti-fanbase, a group of people United to hate on it. We like SAO because the plotline is interesting, characters like Asuna, Kirito, Alice, Eugeo, Quinella, snd etc are well written, good animation, and etc. why are you typing an entire essay to basically shit on a series you’ve only seen 3 episodes of? SAO fans can never like anything without people being annoying.
ya you are kind of right in but i didn't mean to offend SAO or anything i just asked whats great in it you can like it bcz everyone doesn't have the same taste there can be some people who think SAO is better than death note, hunter x Hunter, FMAB, attack on titan and so on and i respect that. If you really like it than okay i just asked whats so great about it nothing more than that and yeah i think SAO is overhyped bcz i think there are anime that beats SAO in everything I don't want argue with you neither did i wanted to offend anyone i just simply asked whats so great about it

Jan 22, 2022 8:14 AM
Dec 2021
Conservati0nist said:
you need to watch ep 9 then make your opinion.
Jan 22, 2022 8:19 AM
Dec 2021
A little bit of advice
Always no matter the anime Watch all episodes then hate it or not.
What's the point in saying something bad about it if u didn't seen even the most important parts in the anime.
Jan 22, 2022 8:32 AM

Mar 2021
tonitoni8 said:
A little bit of advice
What's the point in saying something bad about it if u didn't seen even the most important parts in the anime.
okay i took your advice but i didn't say that SAO is bad ya its good but i think its overrated and overhyped. I didn't mean to offend anyone but simply everyone has their own taste and opinions and i respect them all. Thats why apologised bcz i thought that SAO people will get mad at me and I did not ever said that its bad its good but i think its overrated. Thats all.
Sti if i offended you or anyone than im sorry

Jan 22, 2022 8:35 AM
Dec 2021
Conservati0nist said:
tonitoni8 said:
A little bit of advice
okay i took your advice but i didn't say that SAO is bad ya its good but i think its overrated and overhyped. I didn't mean to offend anyone but simply everyone has their own taste and opinions and i respect them all. Thats why apologised bcz i thought that SAO people will get mad at me
no problem sorry too if I maybe "sounded" angry ,but I still think u need to at least watch till ep 12 and then drop it
Jan 22, 2022 8:36 AM

Mar 2021
tonitoni8 said:
A little bit of advice
also i will watch the first season if i had the time but right now i dropped it and i am more busy wuth other anime

Jan 22, 2022 8:36 AM

Mar 2021
tonitoni8 said:
A little bit of advice
also i will watch the first season if i had the time but right now i dropped it and i am more busy wuth other anime

Jan 22, 2022 8:37 AM
Dec 2021
Conservati0nist said:
tonitoni8 said:
A little bit of advice
It's okay the animes never abandon u when u want them they're always there :)))))
Jan 22, 2022 9:11 AM
Jul 2020
I don't really know what to say man..but like, if u don't like a certain show then why bother continue? Ur just wasting ur time like go fucking watch other shows instead.

Also funny how u say that 'there are other better isekais' when you have yet to watch any isekais at all
laaalaJan 22, 2022 9:22 AM
Jan 22, 2022 7:08 PM

Mar 2021
Njiiing said:
I don't really know what to say man..but like, if u don't like a certain show then why bother continue? Ur just wasting ur time like go fucking watch other shows instead.

Also funny how u say that 'there are other better isekais' when you have yet to watch any isekais at all
yep bcz i Don't like isekai in the first place but i consider other isekai better than it bcz the fight scene were good and for me thats a crucial part if im watching an anime which have action.

Jan 22, 2022 9:14 PM
Feb 2021
Conservati0nist said:
Njiiing said:

yep bcz i Don't like isekai in the first place but i consider other isekai better than it bcz the fight scene were good and for me thats a crucial part if im watching an anime which have action.
How can you say that SAO doesn't have good fight just by watching 3 episodes?FYI, SAO is not Isekai and has one of the stellar animation and also most of the Isekai fight are CGI fest. Just go and watch SAO fight scene in YouTube and tell us If SAO has really bad fight in compare to those other shitty Isekai fight.
Jan 22, 2022 9:18 PM

Mar 2021
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
Conservati0nist said:
How can you say that SAO doesn't have good fight just by watching 3 episodes?FYI, SAO is not Isekai and has one of the stellar animation and also most of the Isekai fight are CGI fest. Just go and watch SAO fight scene in YouTube and tell us If SAO has really bad fight in compare to those other shitty Isekai fight.
i agree that i didn't watch the anime but who told uou i didn't watch its fight scenes. Are you saying that SAO has better fight scenes than mushoku tensei and that time i got reincarnated as a slime

Jan 22, 2022 9:28 PM
Feb 2021
Conservati0nist said:
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
i agree that i didn't watch the anime but who told uou i didn't watch its fight scenes. Are you saying that SAO has better fight scenes than mushoku tensei and that time i got reincarnated as a slime
Yes, I can proudly tell that it has much much better fight than Slime and best fight than Mushokou Tensei.In fact, You really are underestimating SAO fight scene.
Jan 22, 2022 9:31 PM

Mar 2021
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
Conservati0nist said:
Yes, I can proudly tell that it has much much better fight than Slime and best fight than Mushokou Tensei.In fact, You really are underestimating SAO fight scene.
okay ya i watched some of its fight and it has good fight with its animation its really good but i can't say as much proudly as you that it has better fights than slime datta ken or mushoku tensei. But its pointles to argue that bcz it seems our tastes are different.

Jan 22, 2022 9:35 PM
Feb 2021
Conservati0nist said:
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
okay ya i watched some of its fight and it has good fight with its animation its really good but i can't say as much proudly as you that it has better fights than slime datta ken or mushoku tensei. But its pointles to argue that bcz it seems our tastes are different.
Well you disdain SAO so of course you will speak against it. MT has very good animation but I can't say same thing to Slime although I do like it. Valid point you make there.
Jan 22, 2022 9:40 PM

Mar 2021
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
Conservati0nist said:
Well you disdain SAO so of course you will speak against it. MT has very good animation but I can't say same thing to Slime although I do like it. Valid point you make there.
animation isn't everything bro if it was than all of makoto shinkai anime would be the best ever created and violet evergarden would also be the best anime ever created.
Also you like SAO very its on uour list but even if i now accept that SAO is the best anime ever created better than Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, hunter x hunter, death note, attack on titan than still I wouldn't watch that bcz i don't have the mood to watch it also i dropped it a long time ago. If i ever feel like watching it than i would just watch it.

Jan 22, 2022 11:10 PM
Mar 2021
Conservati0nist said:
Don't worry dude I'm not gonna rip into you. After just shy of completing my 600th anime in my life (I'm 22 and employed and in school don't worry I somewhat have a life 😂), I can proudly say that SAO is still my #1 Anime of all time. Why? I'm simple. I like action, I like romance, I like great animation, I like a great story/plot and I love happy endings. SAO gave me all of that from when I was a brand new teen seeing a video game themed anime for the first time. Alicization (3rd-4th Season) was one of the greatest moments in anime history for me. This movie was the origin of SAO redone and redone even better than the original! Now I get it. Not everyone likes it. That's fine. I'll be honest, You couldn't pay me to rewatch Attack on Titan, Mugen Train or Akame Ga Kill (I have a completionist pride to me so I have to unfortunately finish Attack on Titan). Only reason why? Ya they're great plots, great characters, animation etc. But they're sad endings. Like I said. I'm simple 😂 Happy endings are the biggest thing in an anime for me. If the end makes me smile seeing my favs alive and either together or friends etc. Then everything else is fine.

Basically we all have tastes and we're all different which is something we should celebrate. If we don't like a show, fine we don't. (Now what I'm about to say is NOT directed at you fam) But I think we need to stop going to the fan bases just to spark arguments because of the 'we feel like we can't like this show so no one can' mentality.

You obviously didn't like the first 3 episodes but I don't think that's enough grounds to judge an entire series. Usually 6 episodes is a good area to guage an anime. If you don't wanna watch it that's cool just please don't comment anything negative about it just because we found an anime that we like

All the best 🙌
Jan 22, 2022 11:23 PM

Mar 2021
Aytr0 said:
Conservati0nist said:
Don't worry dude I'm not gonna rip into you. After just shy of completing my 600th anime in my life (I'm 22 and employed and in school don't worry I somewhat have a life 😂), I can proudly say that SAO is still my #1 Anime of all time. Why? I'm simple. I like action, I like romance, I like great animation, I like a great story/plot and I love happy endings. SAO gave me all of that from when I was a brand new teen seeing a video game themed anime for the first time. Alicization (3rd-4th Season) was one of the greatest moments in anime history for me. This movie was the origin of SAO redone and redone even better than the original! Now I get it. Not everyone likes it. That's fine. I'll be honest, You couldn't pay me to rewatch Attack on Titan, Mugen Train or Akame Ga Kill (I have a completionist pride to me so I have to unfortunately finish Attack on Titan). Only reason why? Ya they're great plots, great characters, animation etc. But they're sad endings. Like I said. I'm simple 😂 Happy endings are the biggest thing in an anime for me. If the end makes me smile seeing my favs alive and either together or friends etc. Then everything else is fine.

Basically we all have tastes and we're all different which is something we should celebrate. If we don't like a show, fine we don't. (Now what I'm about to say is NOT directed at you fam) But I think we need to stop going to the fan bases just to spark arguments because of the 'we feel like we can't like this show so no one can' mentality.

You obviously didn't like the first 3 episodes but I don't think that's enough grounds to judge an entire series. Usually 6 episodes is a good area to guage an anime. If you don't wanna watch it that's cool just please don't comment anything negative about it just because we found an anime that we like

All the best 🙌
you and i are kind of same only difference is that i don't judge an anime by their endings if theirs ending is happy or sad. Also i will say one thing happy ending is different than good ending two things are different it doesn't mean that if an anime has happy ending than it has good ending or it has sad ending so the it has bad ending. Both of them are different. Im not insulting your taste but i don't judge an anime with their happy ending yep its true i gave it scores if it has good ending and everything in the anime and my personal enjoyment. As you said that everyone has their own taste. I believe that too. I didn't mean to say that Sword art online is bad i just said whats so great about it and asked if its overrated or not. But still if my words offended the SAO fanbase than im sorry. At the end i respect your taste and all still if i by any means insultes you than im sorry. If i get the time to watch SAO in the future than i will. Have great day.

Jan 23, 2022 3:11 AM

May 2021
Conservati0nist said:
Abysmal_Saint76 said:

Jayden896 said:
ya you are kind of right in but i didn't mean to offend SAO or anything i just asked whats great in it you can like it bcz everyone doesn't have the same taste there can be some people who think SAO is better than death note, hunter x Hunter, FMAB, attack on titan and so on and i respect that. If you really like it than okay i just asked whats so great about it nothing more than that and yeah i think SAO is overhyped bcz i think there are anime that beats SAO in everything I don't want argue with you neither did i wanted to offend anyone i just simply asked whats so great about it

Not that many people think SAO is the best. Check Death Note's, HxH's and FMAB's rating and then check SAO's; that would tell you what most people think. It might be overrated but I don't think its overhyped, at least not at this point in time.

Jan 24, 2022 7:17 AM

Oct 2020
Conservati0nist said:
U will find when u watch further, to know why it's good u should continue. U cannot judge a show just by it's cover. U just watched 2eps. There's whole 14eps Aincrad, Mother's Rosario, Alicization and even Progressive series. A lot of 8-9/10 stuff and u just ignored everything.

Just indicates that u r an amateur anime fan
WISHED I COULD ALSO GET TRANSPORTED TO A WORLD FULL OF MAGIC And DUNGEONS, please take me there too if you could (⁠ ⁠◜⁠‿⁠◝⁠ ⁠)⁠
Jan 24, 2022 10:47 PM

Jul 2016
Conservati0nist said:
because you are dumb that cant make a opinion and not smart enough to differentiate peak fiction which SAOP and other examples which is good too. And being a person watched 3 episode has no say and be ashamed being posting useless in SAOP forum. You need to watch more anime to fixed your trash taste and comeback when you have watched all episodes of SAO. And yes the movie is great and they gonna make countless of movie to it so cope. Because your hating is useless and they gonna make more money and you are gonna be the same lmao

Jan 24, 2022 11:05 PM

Mar 2021
chriskor022 said:
Conservati0nist said:
because you are dumb that cant make a opinion and not smart enough to differentiate peak fiction which SAOP and other examples which is good too. And being a person watched 3 episode has no say and be ashamed being posting useless in SAOP forum. You need to watch more anime to fixed your trash taste and comeback when you have watched all episodes of SAO. And yes the movie is great and they gonna make countless of movie to it so cope. Because your hating is useless and they gonna make more money and you are gonna be the same lmao
oh okay but you know "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, make it quick." If you have the brain than you would understand what i mean but for you to understand it more simply i am busy right now watching other anime so i don't have the time to waste on an anime that have my least favourite genre. Also you don't have the right call other people's taste trash taste because i can say the same thing you have a trash taste.

Jan 25, 2022 2:08 AM

Jul 2016
Conservati0nist said:
chriskor022 said:
oh okay but you know "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, make it quick." If you have the brain than you would understand what i mean but for you to understand it more simply i am busy right now watching other anime so i don't have the time to waste on an anime that have my least favourite genre. Also you don't have the right call other people's taste trash taste because i can say the same thing you have a trash taste.
which I can say the same to you trash taste. You have a dumb behavoiur about whatnot and this reply shows how coping mechanism get you. You need to watch some shows to fit your trash taste leave your baseless opinion here and watched some shit. And being a hater post, you deserved some shaming because its not cool to hate on SAO anymore idiot. So your mistake is creating dumb bait post thats why, your replies are rude post like me. So if you have some too troll on this SAO page, just watch another anime and if you reply to me, im free to debate with your nonsense

Jan 25, 2022 3:07 AM

Mar 2021
chriskor022 said:
Conservati0nist said:
which I can say the same to you trash taste. You have a dumb behavoiur about whatnot and this reply shows how coping mechanism get you. You need to watch some shows to fit your trash taste leave your baseless opinion here and watched some shit. And being a hater post, you deserved some shaming because its not cool to hate on SAO anymore idiot. So your mistake is creating dumb bait post thats why, your replies are rude post like me. So if you have some too troll on this SAO page, just watch another anime and if you reply to me, im free to debate with your nonsense
how many times should i tell you. You don't have the right to call someone else's taste trash taste. Also i don't remember saying that SAO is bad i just said that its overrated. If you have that much time than go watch some anime instead of wasting the time and replying shits that doesn't even match the topic of this post. You are just a kid who don't have anything else to do and just think that SAO is the best anime and every anime no anime can beat it. Just let it go.

Jan 25, 2022 5:00 AM

Jul 2016
Conservati0nist said:
chriskor022 said:
how many times should i tell you. You don't have the right to call someone else's taste trash taste. Also i don't remember saying that SAO is bad i just said that its overrated. If you have that much time than go watch some anime instead of wasting the time and replying shits that doesn't even match the topic of this post. You are just a kid who don't have anything else to do and just think that SAO is the best anime and every anime no anime can beat it. Just let it go.
and how many times I tell you that making useless threads makes useless replies. And you deserve for being stupid. And overrated is a buzzword that SAO is not part of. You need to know what overrated is before making such accusations. And you being a kid is not an excuse and you are the one being a kid here. You dont need to be angry at me because you are the one started it. And watch more anime. And SAO as a anime is good but, i dont say its greatest but for LN that different because its great. No you are the one annoyed by SAO being popular and posting in a movie not on the SAO anime page. Where do you dropped 3 episode ago it shows how much renting head free SAO for you.

Jan 25, 2022 5:02 AM
Dec 2021
Worst anime ever.watch whatever you can, but never watch SAO and Boku No Pico.these two are worst
Jan 25, 2022 5:10 AM

Jul 2016
KunduSS said:
Worst anime ever.watch whatever you can, but never watch SAO and Boku No Pico.these two are worst
konosuba is worst tho

Jan 25, 2022 5:16 AM
Dec 2021
Ngl why are you living in a dream.
There is a vast world where most of the people would say SAO is worst. Idc about your opinion because 90/100 my friends would say SAO is worst.
Jan 25, 2022 5:22 AM

Jul 2016
KunduSS said:
Ngl why are you living in a dream.
There is a vast world where most of the people would say SAO is worst. Idc about your opinion because 90/100 my friends would say SAO is worst.
where are you when the world does not care about your opinion. 900/1000 of my friends would say SAO is good series and their cared about my opinion, not like you

Jan 25, 2022 5:40 AM
Dec 2021
Try joining a fb group. The biggest public anime group is Anime Lovers International with 400K+ weebs. Just post something about SAO and you'll see how shit this anime is.
Wake up to Reality.
Jan 25, 2022 5:44 AM

Jul 2016
KunduSS said:
Try joining a fb group. The biggest public anime group is Anime Lovers International with 400K+ weebs. Just post something about SAO and you'll see how shit this anime is.
Wake up to Reality.
join in anime weeb community with 1m+ real weebs. Just post something about SAO and they revered it as most popular anime and hated one but good nonetheless. Wake up to the reality the hate are past, its not cool now lmao

Jan 25, 2022 5:58 AM
Dec 2021
Well, we all know the worst two anime are SAO and Boku No Pico 🤷🏻‍♂️ and no one can change the fact.
Jan 25, 2022 6:20 AM

May 2021
KunduSS said:
Well, we all know the worst two anime are SAO and Boku No Pico 🤷🏻‍♂️ and no one can change the fact.

Ex-Arms: Hold my stellar animation quality.

Jan 25, 2022 6:40 AM
Dec 2021
Only animation doesn't makes a story good. Like we have Wonder Egg priority ,an anime with one of the best animation. But the plot is trash. We have Naruto ,good plot, good animation but then slow pacing. The same way, Asuna Yuuki, she has like only 50-60 IQ that is what makes me hate the anime most.Just how the f can someone watch such a stupid character. then we have unnecessary romance which came out of nowhere.So overall, SAO is trash
Jan 25, 2022 6:45 AM

Mar 2021
chriskor022 said:
Conservati0nist said:
and how many times I tell you that making useless threads makes useless replies. And you deserve for being stupid. And overrated is a buzzword that SAO is not part of. You need to know what overrated is before making such accusations. And you being a kid is not an excuse and you are the one being a kid here. You dont need to be angry at me because you are the one started it. And watch more anime. And SAO as a anime is good but, i dont say its greatest but for LN that different because its great. No you are the one annoyed by SAO being popular and posting in a movie not on the SAO anime page. Where do you dropped 3 episode ago it shows how much renting head free SAO for you.
how much do you rate SAO. Also im sick of this. And if i offended anyone than im sorry i was wrong. I asked some of my friends they said that first season was goo but later it became bad. They didn't said anything about the movies so i don't know anything about it. That was my bad i was stupid and whatever you said i am. I don't even care not only you but a bunch of people like were so angry by this post. It alone proves how is SAO if i get the time in the future than i will watch it. So can we end this now because i don't wanna argue with someone I don't know in an online platform. If you still wanna argue with me than if you have discord than come there this is my account:- Conservationist#3974
Also im interested in you can you accept my friend request you also read light novel right.
If you have discord than pls accept my request 🙏
realVICEJan 25, 2022 6:58 AM

Jan 25, 2022 2:21 PM

Jul 2016
Conservati0nist said:
chriskor022 said:
how much do you rate SAO. Also im sick of this. And if i offended anyone than im sorry i was wrong. I asked some of my friends they said that first season was goo but later it became bad. They didn't said anything about the movies so i don't know anything about it. That was my bad i was stupid and whatever you said i am. I don't even care not only you but a bunch of people like were so angry by this post. It alone proves how is SAO if i get the time in the future than i will watch it. So can we end this now because i don't wanna argue with someone I don't know in an online platform. If you still wanna argue with me than if you have discord than come there this is my account:- Conservationist#3974
Also im interested in you can you accept my friend request you also read light novel right.
If you have discord than pls accept my request 🙏
thats the problem your post about ignorance is spreading to much. But its okay if you apologize to it. And next time try to post to correct page. And you need to correct your title and question because your question is dumb enough that even SAO haters cant make some sense to it. And overrated is big nono because of how dumb to question when you dont even know what it means. So next time you need to move on and stop adding some useless thread to avoid some useless replies

Jan 25, 2022 2:23 PM

Jul 2016
KunduSS said:
Only animation doesn't makes a story good. Like we have Wonder Egg priority ,an anime with one of the best animation. But the plot is trash. We have Naruto ,good plot, good animation but then slow pacing. The same way, Asuna Yuuki, she has like only 50-60 IQ that is what makes me hate the anime most.Just how the f can someone watch such a stupid character. then we have unnecessary romance which came out of nowhere.So overall, SAO is trash
you have a 10IQ. And Konosuba is trash. Animation= story is true its all equal. You need to enjoy the same.

Jan 25, 2022 8:19 PM
Dec 2021
I've seen a lot of stupids but you're top among them all
Jan 26, 2022 12:24 AM

Jul 2016
KunduSS said:
i seen stupid weeb, but you are the one tops them all. And you to quote me, I cant receive your replies, thats the rule and you dont even follow, so whos dumb between us now

Jan 26, 2022 12:41 PM
Jan 2020
The anime’s just okay/good (depending on arc if I’m being frank); sure there’s issues; but it’s definitely not lower than a 5/10 by any metric for people who actually watch their fair share of anime.

The LNs on the other hand are actually pretty good/great (admittedly upto LN 9, the writing is kinda shoddy), and for Alicization onwards and Progressive, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone that’s actually read it to disagree it’s bare minimum a 7-8.

The anime cuts fuck tons of content and exposition, mis-portrays Kirito, up-plays harem aspects which simply aren’t written that way (ie. Sinon’s introduction to Asuna, Alice and Kirito’s interactions as vegetable, etc. to the point where anime-onlies genuinely believe Alice is in love with Kirito) to the detriment of the KiriAsu dynamic (which is a major focal point, and gets shafted time, and time again), and is all around a mediocre adaptation; I’m not gonna lie and say it’s a bad adaptation, it gets “most” major plot points down, and does it reasonably well, and action scenes are second only to really Wit or ufotable (and MAPPA, but only some of them); but a good chunk is cut and not properly explored; Alicization is pretty brutal in this regard, bastardizing nearly all the characters, both major and minor). The adaptation is lacking and it shows.

As for why it got popular, nothing was better suited for success than a story about living in a digital world at the height of the VR craze, mark that with Crunchy’s introduction into the streaming space, riding the coattails of SAO’s success in the LN market and marketing it to the West and boom, you have a springboard.

Most of the criticism, I find, comes due to a failure of expectations to properly execute it’s premise (in the Aincrad stage); which I understand, but it also needs to be said that most of SAO is filled in through it’s side stories, it’s written as a one shot, and it shows. LN 1 (and the WN) is basically written as Kirito and Klein meet, introduction to Kayaba’s plot, then fast forward to F74 and Kirito finding the Ragout Rabbit; then 74 bossfight, Kuradeel intro, Heathcliff fight, Kuradeel K, marriage, then boom F75 boss fight. Everything from Sachi, Liz, Silica and even Yui, is added in via side stories. It feels disjointed, because it ultimately is. Pretty much everything is added after the fact. (Also, to note, the anime misportrays Kirito and Asuna’s relationship in that Griselda/MitSZ side story

This is where Progressive comes in, it’s a revisit into Aincrad Floor by Floor, like what the fans truly envisioned with SAO’s premise (one thing to note, is Reki has so far taken care not to retcon any major events thus far (such as Kirito joining the MBC, and Asuna joining the KoB), it’s considered canon and not a reboot.

I think that’s the best way to kinda describe SAO as a whole; basically anime = okay, LNs = good; it’s popular because right place, right time; and is undoubtedly one of the most influential series of all time, or at least the 2010’s. Without SAO, you may not have your KonoSubas, Re: ZEROs or Mushoku Tenseis, being produced.
Jan 26, 2022 9:49 PM
Dec 2021
chriskor022 said:
KunduSS said:
i seen stupid weeb, but you are the one tops them all. And you to quote me, I cant receive your replies, thats the rule and you dont even follow, so whos dumb between us now
chriskor022 said:
KunduSS said:

Changing the topic shows who is more dumb.
Why not include points from anime?
Mr.Dumb.
Oh sorry, i forgot, sao doesn't have anything good.
Jan 27, 2022 12:26 AM

Jul 2016
KunduSS said:
chriskor022 said:
chriskor022 said:

Mr.Dumb.
where is changing topic? You are the one cant make some one opinion. You need to not change subject its about SAO. Dont change the subject.

Mr idiot
Oh sorry, I forgot, sao does have anything good. But you are the only one does not

Jan 27, 2022 12:54 AM
Jan 2020
KunduSS said:
chriskor022 said:
chriskor022 said:

Mr.Dumb.

KunduSS said:
chriskor022 said:
chriskor022 said:

Mr.Dumb.

You trippin dawg, a lot of people bag SAO, but it’s okay at worst unless you only watch genuinely 9/10 anime 😭, in which case, you need to watch more anime.
Jan 31, 2022 4:49 PM
Mar 2019
Conservati0nist said:
I see this show more for what’s great about it over what’s bad about it. I gave the first two seasons a 5/10 until Alicization came and those seasons were fire! But even though I gave those two seasons that score, it doesn’t mean that I hate this show. Honestly, it’s just one of those shows that will either grow on you or not. I’ve loved it ever since it came out and it was an incredible watching experience. One thing I wanna mention is the whole score thing. Rating something a 6 or even a 5 is still a good show. There’s just happens to be more flaws than usual. And it may not have the best romance or action sequences, but that’s because this show isn’t focused on primarily one genre. It focuses on multiple genres and balances it out to add more personality to it. It keeps multiple people who have different interests engaged with it while introducing them to newer kinds of plot devices. This is just a series that you’ll either see it for all the good things or all the bad things. Or maybe a bit of both like I did. Also, the hype behind Progressive is pretty real because the LN series on that is incredibly good. That’s my take on it at least.
Feb 6, 2022 9:11 AM
May 2021
Conservati0nist said:
tonitoni8 said:
A little bit of advice
okay i took your advice but i didn't say that SAO is bad ya its good but i think its overrated and overhyped. I didn't mean to offend anyone but simply everyone has their own taste and opinions and i respect them all. Thats why apologised bcz i thought that SAO people will get mad at me and I did not ever said that its bad its good but i think its overrated. Thats all.
Sti if i offended you or anyone than im sorry

Overrated??????? - Have you seen the score???
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Hoshi Naki Yoru no Aria Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Oct 29, 2021

258 by Alice103 »»
Sep 16, 4:28 PM

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

54 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.