3It was OK
12.5%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
3.6%
Average 4.4
56 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2021 11:29 PM

Jan 2015
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This chapter caught me off guard.
Vueko has been such a weird character from start to finish. Although I have always really liked her, I never felt a real “bond” between me, a reader, and her, a character.
But to see her getting hit by the 6th layer curse? That was some emotional shit, with all the memories going through her head, couldn’t help but tear up a little.

Moving on, Reg and Faputa join forces and finally defeat the Ryuusazai. Not only that, but Faputa also seemed to destroy the whole village. It’s honestly amazing how well Faputa has been written as a character. At the end of the day, she got what she wanted and destroyed the village while having another purpose in life other than that. BravoTsukushi, she easily became one of the most endearing characters I’ve ever seen.

Vueko getting another bit of spotlight at the end, making her death even sadder. Her dying was really the last thing I was expecting from this arc, but I guess it was to be expected. I’m really sad now lol.
Anyways, stellar chapter. Next chapter seems like it will be the official conclusion of this arc.
Can’t wait, it has been such a wild ride till the end. Got no complaints.
XenocrisiJun 9, 2021 11:33 PM
Jun 11, 2021 1:01 AM

Feb 2021
@xenocrisi where did you read chapter 59?
Jun 11, 2021 1:54 AM

Jan 2015
ConceitedModesty said:
@xenocrisi where did you read chapter 59?

On the official website here
Jun 15, 2021 10:37 AM
Jan 2020
Dang what a way for Veko to go out. I knew Akihito had to show someone getting hit by the sixth layer... I just didn't think it would be Veko. Maybe, it would be possible, using the cradle of greed, to bring her back? It seemed like that's what Nanachi and Faputa were referencing.

Also, Faputa is now 100% going with the squad. She (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) ate all the villagers so there's nothing left to protect. I'm happy to see her develop and join. Kaija and Maa were left alive so maybe they are coming along as well???

Super great climax. Despite annoying some people, this arc is my favorite. I'm a bit worried how this will ever get animated. It seems like it needs an insane budget which I don't feel like the TV series will have...
BelafuJun 15, 2021 4:01 PM
Jun 15, 2021 4:34 PM

Oct 2017
What was that though, in Faputa's right eye, it looked like the symbol that appears on Reg's helmet.
Jun 15, 2021 4:38 PM

Oct 2017
Belafu said:
Dang what a way for Veko to go out. I knew Akihito had to show someone getting hit by the sixth layer... I just didn't think it would be Veko. Maybe, it would be possible, using the cradle of greed, to bring her back? It seemed like that's what Nanachi and Faputa were referencing.

Also, Faputa is now 100% going with the squad. She (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) ate all the villagers so there's nothing left to protect. I'm happy to see her develop and join. Kaija and Maa were left alive so maybe they are coming along as well???

Super great climax. Despite annoying some people, this arc is my favorite. I'm a bit worried how this will ever get animated. It seems like it needs an insane budget which I don't feel like the TV series will have...

I think the studio is going to take their sweet ass time adapting this arc into anime. I mean, it took them 3 years to make a single movie, I know it was because of the lack of material from the manga, but still, I think they're going to make a good adaptation, it just going to take a lot of time for them to finish it, beacuse I don't think they're going to screw up big time on this arc.
Jun 15, 2021 7:58 PM

Apr 2020
Damn... this is so damn dark, sad and beautiful. What a great chapter.

Just one thing I was wondering... did Riko moved up like Vueko? I mean, she was with everyone when they met Faputa, right? Wasn't she suposed to get the curse as well?
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Jun 16, 2021 1:52 PM
Jan 2020
P-edro said:

Just one thing I was wondering... did Riko moved up like Vueko? I mean, she was with everyone when they met Faputa, right? Wasn't she suposed to get the curse as well?

Nanachi can see the forcefield and likely told Kanja and Riko to avoid those areas on the way up. As long as Nanachi guided them there was no forcefield to go through so Riko never came into contact with the sixth layer curse. Veko can't see the forcefield. She didn't comprehend that the village breaking would allow the forcefield, therefore curse in.
Jun 16, 2021 6:18 PM

Apr 2020
Belafu said:
P-edro said:

Nanachi can see the forcefield and likely told Kanja and Riko to avoid those areas on the way up. As long as Nanachi guided them there was no forcefield to go through so Riko never came into contact with the sixth layer curse. Veko can't see the forcefield. She didn't comprehend that the village breaking would allow the forcefield, therefore curse in.

Indeed... didn't remember this detail. Thanks.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Jun 16, 2021 6:49 PM

Jul 2010
The dialogues and story are such a mess. Who are these characters? What the hell is going on? Should I be shocked, disgusted, intirgued? The chapters are so slow and there are so many new characters I am completely lost. And I don't want to re-read this arc from beggining, no thank you.

Sixth layer was a mistake from start to finish, I wish it never existed at the first place. Layers 1-5 simply 9/10. Layer 6- 1/10. Help me God, it's still going...
Jun 17, 2021 5:16 AM
Jun 2021
This arc makes even less sense after re-read, it's only getting more confusing and self-contradictory with each new chapter.

Why did narehates try to kill Faputa after she entered the village, but now they want to be eaten by her? Why did Moogie and her crew didn't warn Riko that they are going to commit sudoku via vore fetish? Looking back Faputa vs Reg fight is completely pointless, poor boy got fisted for attempt to protect suicide squad of deformed blobs. The flashback was dull and didn't reveal anything new or interesting, just more fanservice. Wazukyan's death is... why? Just why? If he is able to create so many long sprouts out of his body, he could deliever Vueko to the bottom without jumping. Why is Vueko still sentient? All blobs prior to her were mindless creatures. Why is Riko fainting when she uses white whistle? Ozen was perfectly fine. Is this just another excuse to write "main character" out of action?

And, finally, my main question - what's the point of this arc why does it need to be so long? It doesn't add anything new thematically, too many characters and plot twists are direct callback to the previous ones. That's not even counting Mitty's pointess return.
Jun 17, 2021 10:35 AM

Jan 2015
yoneyami said:
This arc makes even less sense after re-read, it's only getting more confusing and self-contradictory with each new chapter.

I advice you to reread the whole arc a 3rd, 4th and 5th time.
And to answer to all of your questions:
Why did narehates try to kill Faputa after she entered the village, but now they want to be eaten by her?

The narehate trying to kill the princess? This never happened lmao. And they wish to be eater her, because it’s their princess. Anything she needs, they give.

[quote]Why did Moogie and her crew didn't warn Riko that they are going to commit sudoku via vore fetish?[/quite]
She literally passed out before they could warn her. Not relevant anyways.

Looking back Faputa vs Reg fight is completely pointless, poor boy got fisted for attempt to protect suicide squad of deformed blobs. The flashback was dull and didn't reveal anything new or interesting, just more fanservice.

Are we reading the same manga? Reg and Faputa’s first meeting is significant so that we can learn more about Faputa’s character, we now know Reg probably went up to Orth to get Riko down the abyss and their relationship before. It also goes to show how frustrated Faputa is after being abandoned also by Reg.

Wazukyan’s death is... why? Just why? If he is able to create so many long sprouts out of his body, he could deliever Vueko to the bottom without jumping.

We don’t have enough information about. We know that Wazukyan was the one who started everything. He was the one who “invited” the creatures, incited Riko to take action, and probably set Vueko’s death up.

Why is Vueko still sentient? All blobs prior to her were mindless creatures.

Mindless creatures? You say that after a whole arc about those blobs creating even a new language comprehensible only by them? Even if there was a difference in intellect between the Narehate that became what they became after entering the village and the Narehate that were cursed by the 6th layer burden (and Vueko is in the latter), who said that they were mindless creatures? Mitty obviously had still some consciousness as she approach Riko to try communicate with her through dreams.

Why is Riko fainting when she uses white whistle? Ozen was perfectly fine. Is this just another excuse to write "main character" out of action?

Riko is literally a kid. Ozen is used to the curse and to use the whistle’s power. It’s clearly said that even the fourth layer’s curse might be fatal to kids, and if we know many whistles can go down to the fifth later and return to Orth, you see that there’s the same logic.

And, finally, my main question - what's the point of this arc why does it need to be so long? It doesn't add anything new thematically, too many characters and plot twists are direct callback to the previous ones.

This arc was the most important. It gave us some insight about the Abyss’s past, that something on the upside is happening, and egg-like relics’ true purpose, more characterization to Reg, Nanachi and Riko, and probably Faputa will join the party cause otherwise they all might be dead as soon as they enter the 7th later. So yeah, this arc was very much needed.

That's not even counting Mitty's pointless return

It was clearly stated many and many times that Nanachi always wanted to see Mitty again, it was foreshadowed since her death. She never moved on, now she did, and her character arc and progression is complete.

My advice is: drop Made in Abyss. You can’t even pay attention to the dialogues that happened in the same chapter. These are all questions that could easily be answered if you had actually reread the arc (which you didn’t of course)
Jun 17, 2021 2:42 PM
Jun 2021
Xenocrisi said:
The narehate trying to kill the princess? This never happened lmao

Chapter 55 literally starts with the scene where narehate blob tryed to swallow Faputa.
In the next scene cyclops girl attempted to shoot her and got saved by a carpet guy https://cdn.readdetectiveconan.com/file/mangap/2679/10055000/4.jpeg
Maybe you are the one who needs to reread this arc?
Another scene where Moogie complains that Faputa destroyed drying spot that was important to her. The very same Moggie who will gladly become Faputa's meal 4 chapters later because?? https://cdn.readdetectiveconan.com/file/mangap/2679/10055000/8.jpeg
So much for "anything she needs, they give"
Riko is upset over Moogie's loss and she asks Reg to stop Faputa.
https://cdn.readdetectiveconan.com/file/mangap/2679/10055000/9.jpeg
https://cdn.readdetectiveconan.com/file/mangap/2679/10055000/10.jpeg

I don't see a reason to reply to the rest because you are clearly biased.
Jun 18, 2021 6:19 PM

May 2019
thanks, this mess of an arc is going to end.

and THANKS, we will have an new anime season to FIX this arc.

What this arc is needing is exactly an anime revision, edition and direction.

Because the mangaka really wanted to do something deep, with philosofy, plus action, plus character devenlopment, but all was mixed in a whole mess. But nothing that a well made anime adaptation could not fix.

Just as like they did in season 1.
Jun 19, 2021 12:02 AM

Jun 2017
This arc has overstayed its welcome. I liked the backstory of Irumyui and the rest. All the developments that happened after that have been quite average and dragged out.
Jun 25, 2021 10:23 PM
Oct 2018
Very convoluted, I definitely had to refer to wikis to follow what was happening but I liked it. I think a lot came out of left field so there was a lot more world building than was needed in prior arcs but tbf this is about what was needed after the last arc to give the story some new direction. I guess we'll see if every layer is very distinct from the last but I'll judge this arc more depending on what happens in the next.
Jul 6, 2021 5:21 AM

May 2009
Thank god this is coming to an end. What started out interesting slowly turned into an incomprehensible mess without impact. I would say that the arc lost it's momentum somewhere along the way, bit thinking back, I am not sure if it was acually building up to anything. I would give credit to the messed-up backstory of the village, but everything what happaned in the present was underwhelming.

Moving on.
Jul 12, 2021 3:05 PM

Nov 2016
It's always fucked up when a character gets hit by the curse.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 17, 2023 1:08 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Reg´s fight seems heroic!!! kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 69 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Aug 31

25 by topfloorboss45 »»
Oct 18, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 68 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Aug 31

6 by nanajp »»
Oct 16, 3:49 PM

» When is the manga likely to end

loafing_loafer - Sep 22

6 by ZachyMoof »»
Oct 4, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 67 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Feb 14

34 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 27, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 61 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Oct 19, 2021

29 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 24, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.