Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 7, 2010 3:41 PM

Nov 2008
I picked up Cat Street because it was a highly rated manga and since I enjoyed Kare Kano so much, I would give another shoujo manga a chance. I was quite disappointed.

Kare Kano featured two strong personalities finding their way through their natural interaction. Cat Street, on the otherhand, was more of the typical shoujo fanfare. Girl with no ability but looks pretty blames her lack of social and academic progress on a childhood incident. She continues to meet some boys (who look like they're in their mid 20s) and girls and do the typical teenage thing with plenty of drama.

Just as the Shounen genre suffers from the average boy being powered up and beating up/winning against every opponent he faces while "attractive" girls fall onto his lap with a panty shot, the Shoujo genre suffers from average intelligent girls pushing the stupid stereotype of the false sense of femininity through materialism, power struggle over love and social status. It's boring, it's drab and nothing more than a guilty pleasure for the girl reading it.

5/10 (Average as a Shoujo manga can be)

If you want a better story about a child actress suffering from social withdrawal and other types of peer pressure with realistic interaction with guys (not the love sick puppy kind), then check out Kodomo no Omocha (also known as Kodocha). It's a fantastic watch and read.

However, if you completely disagree with my opinion and prefer manga like this that has plenty of unnecessary, artifical drama, check out Mars.
Oct 13, 2010 12:56 AM
Dec 2008
i thought it was pretty good
Nov 14, 2010 9:03 AM

Apr 2009
yah, i'm going with Jog

I don't know about you but I found Cat Street completely enjoyable
Dec 28, 2010 6:41 AM

Oct 2009
I have to disagree. I don't think Cat Street was 'typical' in any way. It's about different people overcoming their own hindrances and the friendship that ensues. It's a lot deeper than it's face value.

And I don't think you should compare Kare Kano and Cat Street. They're almost complete opposites in every way.

More topics from this board

» Will this ever get anime adaptation?

kisaragi_eki - Oct 6, 2023

2 by Fang_Tooth »»
Mar 13, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Who uses SOAP to Wash Rice?

Doutei-kun - Aug 2, 2020

6 by Fang_Tooth »»
Mar 13, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Cat Street Chapter 26 Discussion

dreamingsamurai - Feb 5, 2009

9 by Doutei-kun »»
Aug 2, 2020 5:39 AM

Poll: » Cat Street Chapter 22 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jul 31, 2009

6 by Doutei-kun »»
Aug 2, 2020 2:19 AM

Poll: » Cat Street Chapter 17 Discussion

philautia_ - Nov 16, 2009

6 by Doutei-kun »»
Aug 2, 2020 1:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.