Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 23, 11:16 AM
Apr 2023
It's honestly hard to imagine if it could have been worse... they literally changed EVERYTHING. Kawasaki was reduced to like one scene which sucked because she was an amazing character in the light novel. Everything feels so rushed, all their relationship development was put into like 2 montages. The epilogue was removed, I don't wanna spoil but the ending had some major changes for how everything worked too... also the entire vibe I got from reading the light novel was gone because half of the movie was set when it was RAINING. In JULY. I actually can't with this

at least one person has to agree with me
right
please
Sep 23, 11:21 AM
Sep 2010
Visually it was a beautiful movie but I completely agree they dumbed down the story, undermined Hanashiro’s character, and just really failed to deliver on any of the emotional notes of the original novel.
Sep 23, 11:28 AM
Mar 2023
tormaid said:
Visually it was a beautiful movie but I completely agree they dumbed down the story, undermined Hanashiro’s character, and just really failed to deliver on any of the emotional notes of the original novel.

agree, also how little screentime we got with Koharu was disappointing.
Sep 23, 11:52 AM
Sep 2020
I noticed how rushed this movie was just by watching it, but after reading the novel i was surprised to see how badly they managed to adapt this
Sep 23, 2:38 PM
Sep 2021
Honestly, I just watched this movie last week, and I loved it! But I haven't read the manga or LN yet.

Actually, because I liked this so much, I bought both to read! I'm sure it won't match the movie, but that's fine with me. The movie by itself I enjoyed a lot! And it made me want to read more, so from my perspective so far, it was great!
Sep 23, 3:18 PM
Jul 2022
damn I loved the movie though the visuals were amazing guess Amma needs to buy the maga for the best experience
Sep 23, 4:00 PM
Feb 2021
As a LN reader, I totally agree. I’m someone who’s always struggled with reading taking several months to finish an elementary level book in middle and high school. This was not the case with the original novel, it was the first time I finished a novel in less than a few months, I finished the whole thing in 5 days [which for me is a massive deal]. The story is super gripping as well as the characters, so to see it practically trampled on like this was super disappointing. I really liked the visuals, voice acting, and soundtrack, but I just felt upset when Koharu who was super important to the plot and the development of the mcs, was given like 5 lines…
Sep 23, 4:04 PM
Nov 2023
I really don’t agree with this take! When making an animated movie from a book/ manga, it hardly ever works to adapt every scene exactly. The director and screenwriter have to basically restructure the story to make a balanced production. If every detail and every character were covered, it would be a 5 hour movie. That’s the hardest part about making an adaptation. The novel is excellent, and so is the movie. If you only ever saw either one, it would be a 9 rating, 10 if you’re generous.
For a better understanding, watch (or read) the Tokyo Blade arc of Oshi no Ko.
Sep 23, 5:09 PM
Sep 2021
FutoiOtaku said:
I really don’t agree with this take! When making an animated movie from a book/ manga, it hardly ever works to adapt every scene exactly. The director and screenwriter have to basically restructure the story to make a balanced production. If every detail and every character were covered, it would be a 5 hour movie. That’s the hardest part about making an adaptation. The novel is excellent, and so is the movie. If you only ever saw either one, it would be a 9 rating, 10 if you’re generous.

Agree completely! Since I just saw the movie and haven't read a thing yet, I loved this! I gave it a 9 and will definitely rewatch it in the future!
Sep 23, 7:47 PM
Apr 2022
What would u change then since u seem to know better. I genuinely want to know
Sep 23, 8:26 PM
Feb 2018
I just watched the movie and nothing else and I agree lol. There is very little effort in the storytelling, is very clear the whole focus is just the visuals.
FreedomKMESep 24, 2:30 AM
Sep 23, 9:32 PM
Jun 2021
Felt like a very basic and shallow movie. Still looked great visually.
Sep 24, 5:01 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to FutoiOtaku
@FutoiOtaku wouldn't you expect them to not bulldoze the entire story though? the movie is practically a new story which is much worse than the light novel. also, it would total to around 2 hours long if adapted almost fully, which is fine. i agree that not everything can be perfect, but you can definitely fit everything into a movie
Sep 24, 5:01 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to AsianLife30
What would u change then since u seem to know better. I genuinely want to know
@AsianLife30 rewrite it from the ground up
Sep 24, 7:34 AM
Nov 2023
eleven_exists said:
@FutoiOtaku wouldn't you expect them to not bulldoze the entire story though? the movie is practically a new story which is much worse than the light novel. also, it would total to around 2 hours long if adapted almost fully, which is fine. i agree that not everything can be perfect, but you can definitely fit everything into a movie

Of course you can fit everything into a movie if you rush the pacing, sacrifice visual quality for more hours etc. A full adaptation is a cour of anime. Trying to make this fit a movie with the necessary upgrade in quality would need a huge budget and to give enough weight to the time frame of the story, it would be if very compressed at least 2.5-3 hours. This wasn’t a Peter Jackson project, you are asking the impossible. The movie that WAS made was approved and signed off on by the author, who knows much better than you what is necessary to cut or change to adapt his story into a captivating movie.
Sep 24, 7:38 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to FutoiOtaku
eleven_exists said:

Of course you can fit everything into a movie if you rush the pacing, sacrifice visual quality for more hours etc. A full adaptation is a cour of anime. Trying to make this fit a movie with the necessary upgrade in quality would need a huge budget and to give enough weight to the time frame of the story, it would be if very compressed at least 2.5-3 hours. This wasn’t a Peter Jackson project, you are asking the impossible. The movie that WAS made was approved and signed off on by the author, who knows much better than you what is necessary to cut or change to adapt his story into a captivating movie.
@FutoiOtaku i read through the light novel a couple months ago and timed it, leaving out parts i think are too minor/wouldn't work in an anime adaptation. it totalled to about 2h20 mins which is totally possible lol. as for the author, do you know if they agree with all the changes? there's so much badly adapted anime and i find it hard to believe that all of the authors of those were like "yeah, looks good". mei hachimoku never praises the movie (from what i've seen), in fact when it won an award on animetrending they just commented on the fact that there was an illustration done of the characters, lol.
Sep 24, 8:01 AM
Nov 2023
eleven_exists said:
@FutoiOtaku i read through the light novel a couple months ago and timed it, leaving out parts i think are too minor/wouldn't work in an anime adaptation. it totalled to about 2h20 mins which is totally possible lol. as for the author, do you know if they agree with all the changes? there's so much badly adapted anime and i find it hard to believe that all of the authors of those were like "yeah, looks good". mei hachimoku never praises the movie (from what i've seen), in fact when it won an award on animetrending they just commented on the fact that there was an illustration done of the characters, lol.

Not buying that. You really read a light novel by stopwatch? Did you read all the dialogue at the speed the characters would speak? And do you think anime movies often reach over 2 hours? You’re asking for a high international standard budget for an anime movie. Which would only make a slow, bogged down boring movie anyway. They are two separate media, just stop trying to force your ideals on the real world already. Or maybe just make your own adaptation? If you can get agreement from an author to make a pedantic word for word slideshow of their book. And yes, Japanese law takes permission of creators seriously, no movie ever gets released without express permission from the original creator.
Sep 24, 8:20 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to FutoiOtaku
eleven_exists said:

Not buying that. You really read a light novel by stopwatch? Did you read all the dialogue at the speed the characters would speak? And do you think anime movies often reach over 2 hours? You’re asking for a high international standard budget for an anime movie. Which would only make a slow, bogged down boring movie anyway. They are two separate media, just stop trying to force your ideals on the real world already. Or maybe just make your own adaptation? If you can get agreement from an author to make a pedantic word for word slideshow of their book. And yes, Japanese law takes permission of creators seriously, no movie ever gets released without express permission from the original creator.
@FutoiOtaku idrc if you buy it or not lol, i was just curious and the ln is one of my favourite pieces of fiction so i don't mind rereading it. i can name a few anime movies that reach 2 hours or more:
- the fate/stay night heaven's feel trilogy are all 2 hours long (and have incredible animation and quality)
- a silent voice is 2 hours 10 minutes (and has really good animation and quality)
- only yesterday is 2 minutes shy of 2 hours
- spirited away
- the tale of princess kaguya

also, why are you being so toxic? i'm trying to have a calm discussion and the way you're responding to my replies just feels really rude lol

Or maybe just make your own adaptation?

not this again... i'm waiting for the day that people realise you can criticise stuff without being a master of making them yourself haha. i don't need to be a 5-star chef to judge food, so why anime?

If you can get an agreement from the author to make a pedantic word for word slideshow of their book.

i never said i would like a word-for-word adaptation. animation as a medium is very different to books. some changes would have to be made to convert one to the other. 86 shows this perfectly with it's amazing visual storytelling. i'd like a better adaptation, not a slideshow. that won't take the "high international standard budget" you're talking about

And yes, Japanese law takes permission of creators seriously, no movie ever gets released without express permission from the original creator.

are you sure said creators are actually happy with the result though? i'd argue there's a high chance that a lot of authors are just happy their work is getting adapted in the first place, especially if it's their first time, so they let anything pass. if creators are truly happy with everything that comes out, i don't think something like Ex-arm would exist, which literally pushed the artist for the manga to not draw manga again because of backlash from to the poor quality of the show.

on another note, have you read any of the author's other works? "wait for me yesterday in spring" and "the mimosa confessions" are amazing, especially mimosa
Sep 24, 8:35 AM
Nov 2023
Not sure where the toxicity accusation comes from, sorry if you’re a delicate type that gets offended by the opinions of others. I’m debating directly your views because mine are different. We will probably never meet in the middle, but I do agree with a little of what you say, specifically about author agreement versus satisfaction. But compromise is necessary when a studio is budget limited as well as compromise being essential between a story that works well on paper versus an engaging movie. The to and fro between author, screenwriter and producer must be quite stressful. But I still think the compromises made for this movie produced a great outcome.
Finally, yes these are OPINIONS as are yours and I accept your views despite our differences. I was simply justifying the content of the movie as I see it.
There’s a line between objectivity and toxicity which I was careful not to cross. Please understand that if I was trolling, I could have been much more unpleasant. Sometimes toes get trod on just to get a point across, there was no intention to be mean.
Sep 24, 8:40 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to FutoiOtaku
Not sure where the toxicity accusation comes from, sorry if you’re a delicate type that gets offended by the opinions of others. I’m debating directly your views because mine are different. We will probably never meet in the middle, but I do agree with a little of what you say, specifically about author agreement versus satisfaction. But compromise is necessary when a studio is budget limited as well as compromise being essential between a story that works well on paper versus an engaging movie. The to and fro between author, screenwriter and producer must be quite stressful. But I still think the compromises made for this movie produced a great outcome.
Finally, yes these are OPINIONS as are yours and I accept your views despite our differences. I was simply justifying the content of the movie as I see it.
There’s a line between objectivity and toxicity which I was careful not to cross. Please understand that if I was trolling, I could have been much more unpleasant. Sometimes toes get trod on just to get a point across, there was no intention to be mean.
@FutoiOtaku it's hard to get tone across text, isn't it? 😅 definitely something i think i struggle with

on another note, have you read any of the author's other works? "wait for me yesterday in spring" and "the mimosa confessions" are amazing, especially mimosa

btw

honestly, i can see the appeal behind this movie. i still can only really limit myself to a 6-7/10 even if i don't include the fact it's an adaptation. to me, it just feels too rushed amongst other things cough cough the plot hole at the end
Sep 24, 8:44 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to FutoiOtaku
@FutoiOtaku

sorry if you’re a delicate type that gets offended by the opinions of others

oh i forgot to say this, but it's stuff like this that made me assume you of just being a toxic guy who is trying to get a reaction out of me lol
Sep 24, 9:03 AM
Nov 2023
eleven_exists said:
@FutoiOtaku

oh i forgot to say this, but it's stuff like this that made me assume you of just being a toxic guy who is trying to get a reaction out of me lol

We’re never going to see eye to eye, and there’s more than a trace of sarcasm/ defensive hostility/ mild toxicity in your expression too, it just goes with the territory of trying to get a point across. But I’m not offended, you communicate pretty clearly. Let’s just end here and accept that a difference in viewpoints is human. I appreciate the efforts made to entertain me by a culture that fascinates me while you see flaws and wish for greater achievements. With the continued growth of anime in the west, maybe things will naturally be done in a more thorough and expensive way and we will both be rewarded with a better experience…
Sep 24, 9:05 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to FutoiOtaku
eleven_exists said:
@FutoiOtaku

We’re never going to see eye to eye, and there’s more than a trace of sarcasm/ defensive hostility/ mild toxicity in your expression too, it just goes with the territory of trying to get a point across. But I’m not offended, you communicate pretty clearly. Let’s just end here and accept that a difference in viewpoints is human. I appreciate the efforts made to entertain me by a culture that fascinates me while you see flaws and wish for greater achievements. With the continued growth of anime in the west, maybe things will naturally be done in a more thorough and expensive way and we will both be rewarded with a better experience…
@FutoiOtaku it wasn't intended!!!!! sorry if you took it that way lol
hopefully less anime will be bad adaptations in the coming years, but i doubt that'll change fully if companies like kadokawa get greedy over money...

More topics from this board

» the end of the movie. clarification

Phantom_373 - Jun 12, 2023

22 by Menace_07 »»
Yesterday, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Natsu e no Tunnel, Sayonara no Deguchi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Jutin123 - Sep 9, 2022

162 by Kurtones72 »»
Sep 11, 2:12 AM

» Isn't MC just a self centered, immature Brat (Spoilers of course) ( 1 2 )

Mathi786 - Aug 6

72 by Mathi786 »»
Aug 18, 8:43 AM

» (SPOILER) Why didn't Anzu...

hainq - Jul 27, 2023

21 by Mathi786 »»
Aug 6, 3:23 PM

» Damn, it's BAD

Akita_Han - Nov 16, 2023

25 by thehornedrat »»
Jun 17, 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.