Jun 12, 2023 3:57 AM
Jun 2023
I don’t know how to do this

Edit: hi I'm u/spez and will try to help you to post
chilieheadJun 12, 2023 5:01 AM
Jun 12, 2023 4:58 AM
Feb 2016
Morning, everyone!

It felt so weird not checking Reddit this morning like I always do after waking up.
Jun 12, 2023 5:02 AM

Jun 2020
Shimmering-Sky said:
Morning, everyone!

It felt so weird not checking Reddit this morning like I always do after waking up.
We had a last wave of sentimental posts, then a typical last comment race with an "ending things" theme
Jun 12, 2023 6:08 AM
Oct 2016
Shimmering-Sky said:
Morning, everyone!

It does feel very weird checking MAL instead of Reddit. I think this is my very first MAL comment #schemingsaten

...I haven't used BBCode over Markdown in a while #flustered

Jun 12, 2023 10:26 AM
Apr 2016
Hello everyone! What's everyone up to?

Jun 12, 2023 1:51 PM
Feb 2023
I decided to check Reddit just to see what it looked like with about half the subreddits in existence privated and found I had notifications in my inbox but couldn't see any of them. I guess that's what happens when you get notifications from a recently privated sub?
Jun 12, 2023 3:03 PM
Feb 2016
Book_Lover said:
Hello everyone! What's everyone up to?
I just finished scripting this absolutely massive Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds Duel for a fanfic I'm working on. Easily the biggest one I've ever written, there were six people involved and it went on for 28 turns. #spinning

Work was busy today too, so now I'm just relaxing.
Jun 12, 2023 3:13 PM
Feb 2016
...so it looks like the sub is staying private for at least a week.

That... sucks for literally all of my rewatches...
Jun 12, 2023 3:30 PM

Jun 2020
Nameorsomething said:
I decided to check Reddit just to see what it looked like with about half the subreddits in existence privated and found I had notifications in my inbox but couldn't see any of them. I guess that's what happens when you get notifications from a recently privated sub?
The DarkAudit unremovening
Jun 12, 2023 3:31 PM

Jun 2020
Shimmering-Sky said:

many of them would be in the discord I think, but yeah that throws a giant wrench into plans
Jun 12, 2023 3:37 PM

Mar 2015
So...now what? What do I do with myself lol Make some chicken tetrazzini I guess.

Reddit LeechBlock Counter: 4
Jun 12, 2023 3:49 PM

Jun 2020
U18810227 said:
So...now what? What do I do with myself lol Make some chicken tetrazzini I guess.

Reddit LeechBlock Counter: 4
The Discord is currently wondering about having rewatches/group watches
Jun 12, 2023 4:03 PM
Jan 2018
Shimmering-Sky said:

Yeah, it's not great...
Jun 12, 2023 4:18 PM
Feb 2016
Tresnore said:
Shimmering-Sky said:

Yeah, it's not great...
I'm gonna have to post Juushinki Pandora and Heroic Age threads at the same time at this rate... I specifically agreed to co-host the latter on its schedule and at that posting time because I assumed it wouldn't overlap with the former, but this just threw a wrench into that.

#dejected
Jun 12, 2023 4:54 PM

Jun 2020
Shimmering-Sky said:
Tresnore said:
Yeah, it's not great...
I'm gonna have to post Juushinki Pandora and Heroic Age threads at the same time at this rate... I specifically agreed to co-host the latter on its schedule and at that posting time because I assumed it wouldn't overlap with the former, but this just threw a wrench into that.

#dejected
I don't think rescheduling the new rewatches would be rejected? Or is the date important
Jun 12, 2023 4:58 PM
Feb 2016
chiliehead said:
Shimmering-Sky said:

#dejected
I don't think rescheduling the new rewatches would be rejected? Or is the date important
It's because I also want the 6 pm timeslot for my Death Parade rewatch in August, which has to start on August 1st because that's when I started the Death Parade rewatch back in 2018. If Heroic Age gets delayed to not overlap with Juushinki Pandora, then it just runs into the same issue with Death Parade instead. 

Also Heroic Age is LC3's rewatch first and mine second, I don't want to ask him to push it back right after we just officially announced it.
Jun 12, 2023 5:13 PM

Jun 2020
Shimmering-Sky said:
chiliehead said:
It's because I also want the 6 pm timeslot for my Death Parade rewatch in August, which has to start on August 1st because that's when I started the Death Parade rewatch back in 2018. If Heroic Age gets delayed to not overlap with Juushinki Pandora, then it just runs into the same issue with Death Parade instead. 

Also Heroic Age is LC3's rewatch first and mine second, I don't want to ask him to push it back right after we just officially announced it.

Well there are special circumstances. Best to just talk about it to find a solution that works. if we are back then maybe you even need a day delay until word gets out and episodes watched.

you might even be able to get the mods to post some messages for rewatches regarding the new plan.
Jun 12, 2023 5:50 PM
Jan 2018
Shimmering-Sky said:
Also Heroic Age is LC3's rewatch first and mine second, I don't want to ask him to push it back right after we just officially announced it.
I agree with chilie. These are kind of crazy circumstances. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to simply ask.
Jun 13, 2023 10:59 AM

Mar 2015
https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/13/23759559/reddit-internal-memo-api-pricing-changes-steve-huffman

Hi Snoos,

Starting last night, about a thousand subreddits have gone private. We do anticipate many of them will come back by Wednesday, as many have said as much. While we knew this was coming, it is a challenge nevertheless and we have our work cut out for us. A number of Snoos have been working around the clock, adapting to infrastructure strains, engaging with communities, and responding to the myriad of issues related to this blackout. Thank you, team.

We have not seen any significant revenue impact so far and we will continue to monitor.

There’s a lot of noise with this one. Among the noisiest we’ve seen. Please know that our teams are on it, and like all blowups on Reddit, this one will pass as well. The most important things we can do right now are stay focused, adapt to challenges, and keep moving forward. We absolutely must ship what we said we would. The only long term solution is improving our product, and in the short term we have a few upcoming critical mod tool launches we need to nail.

While the two biggest third-party apps, Apollo and RIF, along with a couple others, have said they plan to shut down at the end of the month, we are still in conversation with some of the others. And as I mentioned in my post last week, we will exempt accessibility-focused apps and so far have agreements with RedReader and Dystopia.

I am sorry to say this, but please be mindful of wearing Reddit gear in public. Some folks are really upset, and we don’t want you to be the object of their frustrations.

Again, we’ll get through it. Thank you to all of you for helping us do so.

-spez

I think we'll be without Reddit for awhile. #emiliaohdear
Jun 13, 2023 11:23 AM

Jun 2020
U18810227 said:
https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/13/23759559/reddit-internal-memo-api-pricing-changes-steve-huffman

Hi Snoos,

Starting last night, about a thousand subreddits have gone private. We do anticipate many of them will come back by Wednesday, as many have said as much. While we knew this was coming, it is a challenge nevertheless and we have our work cut out for us. A number of Snoos have been working around the clock, adapting to infrastructure strains, engaging with communities, and responding to the myriad of issues related to this blackout. Thank you, team.

We have not seen any significant revenue impact so far and we will continue to monitor.

There’s a lot of noise with this one. Among the noisiest we’ve seen. Please know that our teams are on it, and like all blowups on Reddit, this one will pass as well. The most important things we can do right now are stay focused, adapt to challenges, and keep moving forward. We absolutely must ship what we said we would. The only long term solution is improving our product, and in the short term we have a few upcoming critical mod tool launches we need to nail.

While the two biggest third-party apps, Apollo and RIF, along with a couple others, have said they plan to shut down at the end of the month, we are still in conversation with some of the others. And as I mentioned in my post last week, we will exempt accessibility-focused apps and so far have agreements with RedReader and Dystopia.

I am sorry to say this, but please be mindful of wearing Reddit gear in public. Some folks are really upset, and we don’t want you to be the object of their frustrations.

Again, we’ll get through it. Thank you to all of you for helping us do so.

-spez

I think we'll be without Reddit for awhile. #emiliaohdear

First, just because Stevey is so punchable does not mean that anybody wants to actually punch reddit admins (or touch them at all eyo). but is this leaking like a dare to the subs for a game of chicken? clearly signaling that Reddit Inc. has a pain threshold?
Jun 13, 2023 12:54 PM

Mar 2015
He had to know it would leak. You know there are still some old-school admins who are against this kind of thing and would leak this memo. In particular this paragraph reads like it was meant for public consumption:

So it's interesting to think about if he had considered the public response after the leak. Because once again this looks terrible, like the AMA. Either he really does think Reddit will be fine because the blackout largely ends tomorrow, or he's setting up for a compromise that still monetizes the API. Honestly the latter isn't a bad idea, but based on that AMA disaster the former seems more likely to me.
Jun 13, 2023 1:03 PM

Jun 2020
I'm just idk man. he's definitely an egotistical techbro, but he can't be that inept?
Jun 13, 2023 1:35 PM
Oct 2016
chiliehead said:
I'm just idk man. he's definitely an egotistical techbro, but he can't be that inept?

Well he certainly knows the userbase, only a small fraction is directly affected by the API changes, some will begrudgingly go to the main app, some will stop using Reddit on mobile on mobile, a few will stop using Reddit entirely.
Whether he's inept is gonna largely depend on the mods response, since they're the most affected by the changes (3rd party apps mod tools, although again old.reddit will trod along most likely unscathed...for now), the question is how many will stop working for free and abandon the platform. Surely the quality of said subs will go down (on average), but how much and how quickly is anybody's guess, as well as how that will impact the general health of the platform as a whole (not in term of quality, rather revenue-metrics: number of users, engagement levels, bounce rates, etc).
Like, even if a few subs go to shit due to mods quitting/getting booted and replaced, how many users will Reddit lose in the grand scheme of things? I don't know, but I fear not enough to make a dent, in which case yeah he would not be inept, just an asshole.
Jun 13, 2023 9:51 PM

Mar 2015
So the Discord(s) won I take it #yuitears
Jun 13, 2023 10:21 PM
Oct 2016
U18810227 said:
So the Discord(s) won I take it #yuitears

#therethere
Jun 13, 2023 10:30 PM

Mar 2015
It's fine. We'll do great things here. With blackjack! And yuri!
Jun 14, 2023 12:16 AM

Jun 2020
in the end Discord is probably just shinier. I'll try to do some things here though
Jun 14, 2023 9:15 AM
Feb 2023
It seems like most subreddits are back up now.

#mugiwait for r/anime to come back
Jun 14, 2023 9:19 AM

Mar 2015
spez was right. This too shall pass. #mugipout

I'll stay off until /r/anime comes back.
Jun 14, 2023 9:27 AM
Apr 2016
Did r/anime say why they decided to be private for a week?

Jun 14, 2023 9:29 AM

Jun 2020
Nameorsomething said:

less than 6k now?
Jun 14, 2023 9:31 AM
Feb 2023
chiliehead said:
Nameorsomething said:

less than 6k now?

Less than 6k what?
Jun 14, 2023 10:16 AM
Dec 2013
Book_Lover said:
Did r/anime say why they decided to be private for a week?
Because the admins haven't changed their stance. Going by the mods' comments, I wouldn't be optimistic about the sub coming back anytime soon
Jun 14, 2023 11:35 AM

Jun 2020
Nameorsomething said:
chiliehead said:

less than 6k now?

Less than 6k what?

subs private
Jun 14, 2023 1:10 PM
Feb 2023
chiliehead said:
Nameorsomething said:

Less than 6k what?

subs private

I don't know what the actual number of subs that are no longer private is, but most of the ones I'm subbed to seem to be back.
NameorsomethingJun 14, 2023 1:16 PM
Jun 14, 2023 2:07 PM

Mar 2015
It was kind of an odd choice to put a deadline on the blackout. An attempt to be reasonable to the admins sure, but it doesn't appear to have had much of an effect. I'm curious where that duration originated from.

Perhaps a second blackout? I feel like the movement is now splintered, with each sub doing what they think is reasonable. The subs holding on are in a more tenuous position with others opening back up.
Jun 14, 2023 2:11 PM
Jan 2021
Here's the tracker

Also, in case you missed it: Anithemes is closing
Jun 14, 2023 3:41 PM
Jul 2016

Damn, that sucks.
Jun 14, 2023 6:21 PM
Oct 2016
Rumpel1408 said:

Yeah I've been following the updates on discord. Big loss, I hope someone is able to pick up the pieces, as para is leaving for good #takaradasalute

He shared some dms with an upcoming possible "competitor", we'll see what they'll be able to do (if anything) (the planned webpage should be [this one](https://miu.to/animethemes) though it's currently empty))

I don't have 5-600gb to spare at the moment, will be sure to try and contribute keeping the torrent alive whenever I'll be able to
Jun 14, 2023 7:03 PM

Mar 2015
#toradorasalute
Jun 15, 2023 10:01 AM
Oct 2016
Rumpel1408 said:

From the AnimeThemes discord:

parametrized said:
Update: the abuse team has decided against taking any action for the time being, so service will continue. I will be transferring out infra to staff. Discussions on more claim-resilient hosting should definitely continue. I don't think the current ecosystem is safe considering the fact that we have drawn eyes to ourselves and it's now clear that there are people out there who are eager to file these claims.

So at least for now it's safe
Jun 15, 2023 10:16 AM
Jan 2021
very cool
Jun 15, 2023 3:33 PM

Mar 2015
Reddit CEO Steve Huffman said Thursday that he wants to bring an end to a user-led protest that has made large swaths of the influential website inaccessible this week. Huffman said he plans to institute rules changes that would allow Reddit users to vote out moderators who have overseen the protest, comparing them to a “landed gentry.”

A multi-millionaire calls unpaid moderators landed gentry.

Stage two of the blackout begins. And with everyone protesting gone, the votes will go spez's way.

#mugiwait
U18810227Jun 15, 2023 3:37 PM
Jun 15, 2023 3:35 PM

Mar 2015
I think I may have to start seriously considering Lemmy or Tildes #hardthink
Jun 15, 2023 4:25 PM

Mar 2015
Reddit has told the /r/apple mods the blackout is over.

If a moderator team unanimously decides to stop moderating, we will invite new, active moderators to keep these spaces open and accessible to users. If there is no consensus, but at least one mod wants to keep the community going, we will respect their decisions and remove those who no longer want to moderate from the mod team.

Reddit's dead #salute
Jun 16, 2023 12:28 PM
Feb 2023
A random thing about changes to Reddit I just noticed is that when creating a new account, you now need an email address. It definitely wasn't like that before, even fairly recently when I made my current reddit account.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.