Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2012 9:38 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh man talk about tragedy galore. They got driven from their home, got separated from their mother, sold into slavery, the sister turned into a swan and still prior to that their maidservant turned into a mermaid, and finally their father was stripped of his rank after being falsely accused and died far away from them later. Thank the gods it was only one hour and a half movie, it this was a TV series the melodrama would spill in buckets, and lots of it. O_o

Anyway Zushio was bad-ass later, flicking the rain of arrows with just his horse whip! Even the little bear can catch and throw enemies several times bigger than itself. XD

I've seen the trailer prior to the movie so the guy narrating on the trailer (maybe he was the president of Toei at that time or something) explains this was released in celebration of Toei's 10th anniversary and after two years of production. For a 1960's anime production IMHO they really did a good job.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 3, 2012 12:10 AM

Oct 2011
beautiful animation and soundtrack - sort of a disneyfied version of ancient japan.......a bit cheesy, what with the talking animals and all, but all in all a fun watch - would love to check out more of the really old anime stuff, but it's very hard to find here in the west..........
Feb 24, 2016 10:54 PM

Jun 2011
Good vs evil - Evil triumphs until 10 years later.

I liked the first half, fast paced with a direction. Second half slowed down considerably, especially during the journey to Kyoto. I wasn't a fan of Anju becoming a swan too, she didn't even die, unlike Kikuno, though I suppose, that's 1960's fairy tale for you.

The visual looks pretty good for its age.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 21, 2016 11:49 PM

Feb 2015
That was interesting - my first time watching something from this era of Japanese animation. Interesting how similar to Western animation of the same time period it is - like the talking animals etc. - very Disney-ish.

The overtones were darker than a Disney film though with all of the tragedy the family had to go through. For a film of this era I thought it looked and sounded great. The animation was lovely - I enjoyed the traditional look of the art style - how the backgrounds seemed to blend from one classical Japanese painting to another. The soundtrack was also enjoyable with it's basis in classical Japanese music.

Apr 15, 2018 12:42 AM

Aug 2007
I got a Disney-ish vibe from the animals as well. The animation is very unique, even for the time it was made.

The story itself was pretty average. It's something everyone should watch at least once if you are interested in older animation and/or a historical piece. 5/10

May 11, 2019 11:47 PM
Mar 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
Good vs evil - Evil triumphs until 10 years later.

I liked the first half, fast paced with a direction. Second half slowed down considerably, especially during the journey to Kyoto. I wasn't a fan of Anju becoming a swan too, she didn't even die, unlike Kikuno, though I suppose, that's 1960's fairy tale for you.

The visual looks pretty good for its age.

It was symbolic. She committed suicide so they cannot torture her to rat her brother.
May 12, 2019 9:35 AM

Jun 2011
Sapphire_91 said:
It was symbolic. She committed suicide so they cannot torture her to rat her brother.
lol no clue why i didnt catch on to that, I remember reading something like that a long time ago. Thanks for clearing it up.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 3, 2021 10:52 AM
Feb 2021
In disney films the animals are actually integral to the plot or the story is about human values told through animals. These TOEI movies simply pad in time with disney animal clones to fit their demographic quota. Their presence often adds little to the plot and instead actually breaks immersion and derails the narrative pacing. You can already see the cynical and mechanical trope culture of Japanese animation infest these early works. No wonder so many of the artists like Miyazaki were frustrated with their work at Toei.
May 27, 2021 11:17 AM
Oct 2020
can you guys give me a link pls?
Aug 14, 2022 7:27 AM

May 2017
Really enjoyed this one. Was a pleasant surprise, knowing nothing about it going in. I wish they'd actually shown Anju drowning herself in the lake as in the story it's based on to make it more clear as to why she turned into a bird. It was kinda just confusing and lame the way it was presented in the movie, seeming like she just gave up and turned into a bird because she missed her family. And it's not like they couldn't have shown that, since they showed that other woman drowning earlier. I also wish the dumb shoehorned animal bullshit wasn't here, it really detracts from the sombre story being told. At least they got carted off for most of the movie and only came back after the most serious part had already happened.

Not as beautifully animated as Saiyuuki but unquestionably better visually than Hakujaden and Shonen Sarutobi Sasuke. 7/10, good time. Could've been an 8/10 but alas.
LisbonMappingAug 14, 2022 7:40 AM
Dec 29, 2022 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
The girl singing is so good
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.