Forum Settings
Forums
The Quintessential Quintuplets
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 26, 2022 12:25 AM
Oct 2021
Just getting this out of the way early. It was always obvious Nino and Ichika had no chance. Get over it.

Itsuki was the main character in Season 1. She was given tons of screen time to develop with the MC. Season 2 comes around, and she sorta takes a back seat to let the other 4 get development. And in the movie, shes relegated to being a side character.

The thing with her biological father was a fine plot point, but it felt like it was only there to give Itsuki something to do. Its like the writer began the story wanting to end it with Itsuki winning, but chose Yotsuba around the time its revealed she was Rena. I personally think Itsuki's personalty better fit being Rena.. but thats beside the point

Itsuki deserved better than to take a back seat behind 3 of the 4 sisters
Candy:
Nov 26, 2022 12:43 AM
Jul 2022
I think nino was given most character development. l mean first she was the one who hated the futaro the kost but end of second season we see that she come to like him. she should have won as now all that character development seems little meaningless. There's nothing wrong with yotsuba but if she had to win she should have been given more screentime like itsuki and nino or miku.
Nov 26, 2022 12:52 AM
Jul 2019
I mean to me Itsuki showed the least interest in the MC compared to every other girl. Her ambition was to follow her mother step, so to her Uesugi is not so much like a lover but more of a teacher that could help her reach the goal.
Nov 26, 2022 1:01 AM
Jan 2022
I feel like they gave more screen time to the other sisters to make us like them more just for them to throw all that away and say no this person will win. I wouldn't be complaining about the ending if yotsuba had more screen time like miku or Nino because out of all em I feel like miku or Nino should of won. But hey
Nov 26, 2022 1:09 AM
Oct 2021
er_ror said:
I feel like they gave more screen time to the other sisters to make us like them more just for them to throw all that away and say no this person will win. I wouldn't be complaining about the ending if yotsuba had more screen time like miku or Nino because out of all em I feel like miku or Nino should of won. But hey

you feel like a person willing to cheat in a relationship should have won? man quintessential fans are wild man
Candy:
Nov 26, 2022 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
Even if it isn't nice to watch, it makes sense. She relegated herself to a supporting role because she had other ambitions and while I understand why people may be upset by her last chapters, I think that's the most fitting character arc she could get

And I would add that also Miku didn't have any chance. Every interaction with Fuutarou was painfully one-sided romance, so the only possible winner could have been Yotsuba, Itsuki and Ichika before the shot herself in the foot
Nov 26, 2022 1:13 AM
Jan 2022
onionboys said:
er_ror said:

you feel like a person willing to cheat in a relationship should have won? man quintessential fans are wild man

Bro wasn't even in a relationship until the end of the movie...
Nov 26, 2022 1:21 AM
Nov 2021
It was basically a cheap and lazy way of surprising the audience about who he finally chose, however she was his childhood friend so it's still justified
Nov 26, 2022 4:06 AM
Nov 2022
onionboys said:
Just getting this out of the way early. It was always obvious Nino and Ichika had no chance. Get over it.

Itsuki was the main character in Season 1. She was given tons of screen time to develop with the MC. Season 2 comes around, and she sorta takes a back seat to let the other 4 get development. And in the movie, shes relegated to being a side character.

The thing with her biological father was a fine plot point, but it felt like it was only there to give Itsuki something to do. Its like the writer began the story wanting to end it with Itsuki winning, but chose Yotsuba around the time its revealed she was Rena. I personally think Itsuki's personalty better fit being Rena.. but thats beside the point

this all makes sense, but it was also revealed that itsuki was the adult Rena, whereas yotsuba was the original child that fuutarou encountered in kyoto.
Nov 26, 2022 6:04 AM
Jul 2018
yeah I don't know about itsuki but why the hell he has to choose yotsuba just for the sake of childhood memory... come on then what was the point of character development for other 4 sisters.
Nov 26, 2022 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
MidoriyaIzuku100 said:
I think nino was given most character development. l mean first she was the one who hated the futaro the kost but end of second season we see that she come to like him. she should have won as now all that character development seems little meaningless. There's nothing wrong with yotsuba but if she had to win she should have been given more screentime like itsuki and nino or miku.

Agreed man, when I read the manga I was so mad that Yotsuba won. Like I thought I was reading to fast or something, but she literally had the least "screentime" during the manga. She had bearly any character development too, she was literally the stereotypical harem happy girl character. But I guess with harems the rules apply: childhood friend always wins. The ending was seriously rushed and wasn't thought out. Honestly I would been happy if Itsuki won (although Miku is best girl), and this is maily because she has enough character development with the mc to make it reasonable.
Nov 26, 2022 9:01 AM
Oct 2022
I think Itsuki was a character who liked Futaro without having any romantic feelings. She genuinely respected him and as a teacher she learned many things from him. It would not have been as great if all the sisters had feelings for him, having one who respected him as a person and as a teacher and admired him was also necessary.
Nov 26, 2022 9:07 AM
Oct 2022
Although I do agree that Futaro choosing Yotsuba was a little rushed we saw things from Yotsuba’s POV that she was always into Futaro as soon as she met him and even after the reunion she knew it was him and kept loving him. But that wasn’t the case for Futaro he realised it later that she was Rena and also they didn’t have enough development together for Fut-Suba (really bad name to their relationship so sorry about this) to make sense. The only point where I thought they had a really heart warming moment and a bonding moment from both the sides was the “swing” scene.
Nov 26, 2022 10:41 AM
Oct 2021
GodHandSiurzu said:
MidoriyaIzuku100 said:

Agreed man, when I read the manga I was so mad that Yotsuba won. Like I thought I was reading to fast or something, but she literally had the least "screentime" during the manga. She had bearly any character development too, she was literally the stereotypical harem happy girl character. But I guess with harems the rules apply: childhood friend always wins. The ending was seriously rushed and wasn't thought out. Honestly I would been happy if Itsuki won (although Miku is best girl), and this is maily because she has enough character development with the mc to make it reasonable.

you seem to be pretty out of touch with reality. more screentime doesnt mean anything lol. nino and ichika have shit personalities, so no amount of screen time would have helped them. itsuki showed the least interest in him, so in reality it was down to two people.
Candy:
Nov 26, 2022 11:05 AM
Oct 2021
cityboy123 said:
yeah I don't know about itsuki but why the hell he has to choose yotsuba just for the sake of childhood memory... come on then what was the point of character development for other 4 sisters.

you think ichika and nino got character development? good meme lol
Candy:
Nov 26, 2022 1:25 PM

Apr 2018
onionboys said:
cityboy123 said:

Ichika yes, she got zero development. Maybe even negative development. Nino though? Do we watch the same anime or read the same manga? She have one of the most development in season 2 even though pretty much stop after that.

I agree though that author don't know what to do with Itsuki. She should have much more chance than what it turned out to be.
Nov 26, 2022 8:31 PM
Oct 2021
beam2546 said:
onionboys said:

Ichika yes, she got zero development. Maybe even negative development. Nino though? Do we watch the same anime or read the same manga? She have one of the most development in season 2 even though pretty much stop after that.

I agree though that author don't know what to do with Itsuki. She should have much more chance than what it turned out to be.

she did not get development lmao. going from " i hate this guy for 0 real reasons" to " i love this guy for 0 actual reasons " is not character develpoment
Candy:
Nov 27, 2022 12:05 AM
Jun 2022
onionboys said:
cityboy123 said:

Bros getting pressed fr thas crazy
Nov 27, 2022 11:16 AM
Oct 2021
rawdogger64 said:
onionboys said:

bro fr thought nino got character development i know
Candy:
Nov 27, 2022 10:23 PM
Mar 2020
Itsuki had like two total good moments throughout the entire series. While they were, at least in my opinion, really good, it seems like Negi was really indecisive about what he wanted to do with her.

Also, the biological dad segment is easily the lowest point of the series. I dunno what OP was thinking when he said it was fine, but it really isn't. Bio-dad had no reason for appearing on screen, especially near the end. He was mentioned a total of like, once previously. On top of that, making it Itsuki's business and disguising it as an important character moment is just poor writing.

Nino and Ichika losing was obvious too based on meta factors alone, which is also just kind of sad. As soon as the Bell Tower Kiss scene happened, and Ichika had her character assassinated out of the blue for ham-fisted drama, there was no point rooting for either of them. However, considering Nino is the most well written (and developed, mind you) character in the series, I guess I had hoped that the manga so used to defying the expectations of the harem genre would surprise me.

But, as we all know, that didn't happen. Shame, especially considering that even then, Miku would have been a better choice than Yotsuba, but that's not what this is about at all. Itsuki was done dirty since the start. Somehow, she suffered through both "first-girl syndrome" and "background girl syndrome" at the same time. It's especially egregious in the Itsuki-pretending-to-be-Rena-for-Yotsuba's-sake plot line. Like, come on, man.
Nov 28, 2022 11:05 AM
Oct 2021
snetygun said:
Itsuki had like two total good moments throughout the entire series. While they were, at least in my opinion, really good, it seems like Negi was really indecisive about what he wanted to do with her.

Also, the biological dad segment is easily the lowest point of the series. I dunno what OP was thinking when he said it was fine, but it really isn't. Bio-dad had no reason for appearing on screen, especially near the end. He was mentioned a total of like, once previously. On top of that, making it Itsuki's business and disguising it as an important character moment is just poor writing.

Nino and Ichika losing was obvious too based on meta factors alone, which is also just kind of sad. As soon as the Bell Tower Kiss scene happened, and Ichika had her character assassinated out of the blue for ham-fisted drama, there was no point rooting for either of them. However, considering Nino is the most well written (and developed, mind you) character in the series, I guess I had hoped that the manga so used to defying the expectations of the harem genre would surprise me.

But, as we all know, that didn't happen. Shame, especially considering that even then, Miku would have been a better choice than Yotsuba, but that's not what this is about at all. Itsuki was done dirty since the start. Somehow, she suffered through both "first-girl syndrome" and "background girl syndrome" at the same time. It's especially egregious in the Itsuki-pretending-to-be-Rena-for-Yotsuba's-sake plot line. Like, come on, man.

it was very clear that their actual dad was not their real dad. if you didnt understand that i'd suggest rewatching the series

her mother marrying a teacher also makes sense, as its typical people meet people in their own field

the father running away when he found out she was having FIVE kids is also very reasonable

itsuki, in following her mothers footsteps, took on the role of rejecting the father than abandoned them, just as im sure their actual mother would have

idk if youre young or something, but you clearly dont have a good grasp on determining quality in anime. id suggest not posting anymore
Candy:
Nov 28, 2022 4:59 PM
Mar 2020
onionboys said:
snetygun said:

it was very clear that their actual dad was not their real dad. if you didnt understand that i'd suggest rewatching the series

her mother marrying a teacher also makes sense, as its typical people meet people in their own field

the father running away when he found out she was having FIVE kids is also very reasonable

itsuki, in following her mothers footsteps, took on the role of rejecting the father than abandoned them, just as im sure their actual mother would have

idk if youre young or something, but you clearly dont have a good grasp on determining quality in anime. id suggest not posting anymore

It’s not about whether it makes sense per say, it’s about why it’s placed near the end of the story, especially when the “climax” of the story is coming up.

Also, even then, the Bio-dad BS was still and odd inclusion considering he had nothing foreshadowed about him beforehand by any characters other than in passing by mention of “Maruo’s not our real dad”. It doesn’t matter if it was obvious that he Maruo wasn’t their actual father, the point is that if it wasn’t a plot point before hand, it shouldn’t be a plot point later on, especially considering how abrupt it’s inclusion even was. You even said yourself that it was poorly handled, so I’m not sure why you’re coming after me when I’m agreeing with you while attempting to justify it as a good point in the series.

It’s preeeeetty ironic for you to say that I’m a poor judge of quality when you completely disregarded every ounce of Nino’s development and screen time by writing her off as “irredeemably bad with a shit personality”. I can guarantee someone half your age would be able to do better than that. Also, really trying to bully young people off of an anime forum? You need a reality check, dude.
Nov 29, 2022 5:36 PM
Oct 2021
snetygun said:
onionboys said:

It’s not about whether it makes sense per say, it’s about why it’s placed near the end of the story, especially when the “climax” of the story is coming up.

Also, even then, the Bio-dad BS was still and odd inclusion considering he had nothing foreshadowed about him beforehand by any characters other than in passing by mention of “Maruo’s not our real dad”. It doesn’t matter if it was obvious that he Maruo wasn’t their actual father, the point is that if it wasn’t a plot point before hand, it shouldn’t be a plot point later on, especially considering how abrupt it’s inclusion even was. You even said yourself that it was poorly handled, so I’m not sure why you’re coming after me when I’m agreeing with you while attempting to justify it as a good point in the series.

It’s preeeeetty ironic for you to say that I’m a poor judge of quality when you completely disregarded every ounce of Nino’s development and screen time by writing her off as “irredeemably bad with a shit personality”. I can guarantee someone half your age would be able to do better than that. Also, really trying to bully young people off of an anime forum? You need a reality check, dude.

nino at the start of the show

" willing to throw away her relationship shes built with her sisters of 18 years over a guy she hates "

nino at the start of the show

" willing to throw away her relationship shes built with her sisters of 18 years over a guy she now loves "

man you are right. that is berserk level character development man
Candy:
Nov 29, 2022 6:09 PM
Mar 2020
I know you're joking, but obviously there's not going to be any Berserk level writing in a harem romcom. Who would compare "Titanic" to "Lord of the Rings"?

I agree with the other people here in the forum, honestly. Did you read the same manga as everyone else? Nino's character is much deeper than "she flipped a switch and went from tsuntsun to deredere". Granted, she's not as deep and nuanced as characters in other series, but she's still more interesting than her sisters, at least from a writing/storytelling standpoint. I could write you a character analysis if you want, but I'm sure there are already plenty if you're willing to find them, and even if I did write one, I doubt you'd listen anyway.

While I will agree with you that Nino throwing everything away at the end was a really shitty way to end her character arc (and completely out of character), that's more or less just another bruise on the dead horse that is 5-toubun's ending anyway.
Nov 30, 2022 2:39 AM

Nov 2021
Did this guy seriously bring up 3 historical cultural icons to a topic on Quintessential Quintuplets? Unhinged referencing.
Nov 30, 2022 9:33 AM
Nov 2019
onionboys said:

I mean, sort of fair, I've read the manga, not watched the movie, but I wouldn't say she was the main character. She definitely had a lot of screen time, but I would always say that Miku/Yotsuba were the most impactful to Futarou himself, and in season 2, Yotsuba and Nino got the most impactful moments.

Should Itsuki have gotten a better treatment, sure. But I still think she's good in the final arc, and the ending itself makes sense.
Dec 10, 2022 6:15 AM
Jun 2022
onionboys said:
rawdogger64 said:

bro fr thought nino got character development i know

Okđź’€[character limit]
Feb 7, 2023 2:18 PM

Apr 2013
When I read your title I actually laughed because I kinda agree. I feel like Itsuki was there and got some development, but somehow her relationship with Futarou never really took off. Despite seeming to be the best match for him imo, it's kinda weird.
Feb 17, 2023 8:21 AM
Jan 2021
Does winning have to do with "character development"? Like, I don't understand. If you're the MC, you wouldn't even know what the quints are doing. You might have just a hunch, but that's it.

If not being in a 3rd person view, you might not even pick the girl who had the most "character development." If I am literally the MC with the same mind as I am, I would've definitely pick Miku. But if I am Fuutaro having the same character as him, then I'll pick the one who's the very reason to change me for good. if not for that faithful encounter at Kyoto, things might get worse, but who knows? 

Yotsuba, on the other hand, doesn't need development. She's developed already, what's the need for her to develop? Her character development only comes from her past when she's really pain in the ass to watch in her middle school days. Like, she's really stubborn. I didn't even expect that kind of character she had compare to the present.

Also, I also feel like there is a missing plot here, or maybe just rushed. I just wish that this anime (or manga) could've been better, like they didn't rushed it.

I've somehow agree with the forum title XD
Sep 24, 2023 8:52 AM
Sep 2023
agreed bro. couldve done way more with itsuki and if they did i think she couldve been with fuutaro who knows

More topics from this board

Poll: » 5-toubun no Hanayome Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GreyratAnimelist - May 19, 2022

360 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Sep 9, 11:52 AM

» I did NOT like who he choose at the end ( 1 2 )

Megan1918 - Apr 15

55 by Eclipsemaster »»
Sep 7, 4:14 AM

» The hate on this movie is undeserved

did4375 - Jul 6

21 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 19, 2:58 AM

» New Anime Project!!!

Hachii13 - Apr 25

29 by speedranime_ »»
Apr 27, 5:03 AM

» How are you guys coping with your sunken ship? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Oct 27, 2022

83 by Lafan »»
Mar 30, 11:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.