Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Is every character except the main cast in this show retarded ? (SPOILERS)

New
Jan 1, 2022 6:04 PM

May 2014
So I've tried giving this show a try and watched almost 3 episodes and for some reason everyone seems to be just not intellectually blessed as they were with their abilities , I mean the time travel guy I just don't know what to say did he kinda lose his brain in exchange of his time travel ability or something ? I've tried skipping episodes but Nana seems to have a nice trip along side her lovely mission I think till episode 8 she is still moving and killing and no one is that suspicious of her except the gray haired guy , is there is like an explanation to why everyone is this retarded ? except plot convince to Nana's character ?
Jan 1, 2022 6:11 PM
Shirayuki-Fan
Jul 2020
Nah they are just dumb.
Jan 1, 2022 6:48 PM

Jan 2020
I think everyone is just really stupid.
Jan 1, 2022 7:05 PM
Jan 2021
Some these guys are really conceited because they perceive themself as superior than anything (which is pretty realistic considering they are special) but not all of them, you'll see it as the story continues.

It's pretty realistic take(albeit they are a bit over the top), I've worked with different kinds of people, you'd be surprised at how similar those adult I've worked with act like these characters.
Jan 1, 2022 7:09 PM
May 2016
I think they are just cocky. Yeah, the show didn't do a great job with this, but if you think about it, it's okay most of the time.
They were stronger and better than anyone. So they don't or rather can't feel the danger.
And the first half they don't even know people are dying. That's the other thing.
Jan 1, 2022 9:18 PM

Nov 2020
The author's trying to make a point here, and while it's often not very subtle, it's at least easy to understand.

People tend to blindly follow charismatic leaders and have a surprisingly short memory for many things. It's not peak brain power, but it's how the world works a lot of the time.

Arrogance boosted by their strong talent is of course another factor for some students.

We shouldn't forget that one of the main reasons we assume the supporting characters are stupid is because we don't immediately realize they don't have access to as much information as we do. (someone did a "kyouya version" recut of the series a while back to see how much of the full picture he was missing, it was quite an interesting watch and I recommend it to those with an interest in the series)

This doesn't mean you have to like the characters' eagerness to believe Nana of course; it's very on-the-nose, and I was bothered by it myself in the first few episodes. While I did get used to it quickly enough, I definitely understand why many people can't get past it, and I certainly don't blame them.
Jan 1, 2022 10:02 PM

Jul 2015
"With great power comes great responsibility".
Most of the talented got addled with their powers and become arrogant, which eventually started the war.
They have also been denied proper education before being sent to the Island, so they would be dumb and easier to dispose.

Jan 2, 2022 12:36 AM
Aug 2021
The answer is yes, most characters are not super clever (the manga gets better at that), but like in Death Note (this is clearly inspired) the main conflict is not between Nana and the others with superpowers, but between Nana and the immune detective, who are both smart. Others are puppets. There are only three smart people in the anime (in the manga most are clever enough). I watched this before Death Note so I really liked it, try continuing, imo it gets better in the second half

Steins;Gate and AoT good
Demon Slayer bad
Jan 2, 2022 12:49 AM
May 2021
JZO9 said:
So I've tried giving this show a try and watched almost 3 episodes and for some reason everyone seems to be just not intellectually blessed as they were with their abilities , I mean the time travel guy I just don't know what to say did he kinda lose his brain in exchange of his time travel ability or something ? I've tried skipping episodes but Nana seems to have a nice trip along side her lovely mission I think till episode 8 she is still moving and killing and no one is that suspicious of her except the gray haired guy , is there is like an explanation to why everyone is this retarded ? except plot convince to Nana's character ?
they all were too dependent on their abilities and got cocky, making them all have a fixed mindset because they think they are better than everyone else
Jan 2, 2022 1:41 AM
Oct 2019
Yes they are all retarded
Jan 2, 2022 1:48 AM
Mar 2021
Definitely a weakness of the show, I think it fell too easily into the trap of making everyone else look like morons to make the MC seem like a galaxy brain genius.

it wasn't as fun as it could have been because a lot of her kills were far too easy. I did like how she offed the time-traveler, but good lord he was stupid.

also kinda thought the last thing that happens in the season was pretty hacky, extremely ultra-predictable. Kind of demonstrates this is a mean-spirited show that doesn't particularly respect its characters. Still really entertaining, but IT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER.
Jan 2, 2022 2:52 AM
Nov 2020
They are mostly afraid or too ignorant to even admit that they are in danger in the first place. Nana's very first 3 victims were loners and died in a way, that nobody was even sure whenever an actual murders happened or not. A lot of them were confused at that point and as Kyouya said himself: They shouldn't throw around a baseless accusations at each other. And in Nana's case exept some circumstantial stuff there isn't anything solid on her.
They started hiding in their rooms only after the 1st actual victims were found in ep 8. The fact that some of them are self-centered and cocky actually makes sense considering the propaganda and their powers they grew up with. Some of them doesn't want to stand out because they have their own skeletons to hide. And some simply don't care.
A bit later into the manga it is revealed that others actually had their suspicions about Nana, but none of them wanted to say it out loud because they didn't want to get involved with the murders.
But overall it's mostly fear. Remember, people that are afraid of something are more susceptible to lies/manipulation if the liar sounds charismaticaly/reasonably. And Nana within first 4 episodes literally becomes a school's idol and someone who anyone can trust.

In individual cases: it's not that much about stupidity as much about psychological weakneses, that the MC exploits. Like sense of heroism, overreliance on his Talent, twised love relationship.
Kyouya has a different reasons why he is suspicious about Nana and doesn't buy her stories aside from ''being smarter than others''

But imo further you get in the manga, less these ''dumb students'' are relevant the overall story is not about whenever Nana or Kyouya wins.
Jan 3, 2022 7:26 PM
Dec 2020
For me every character except kyouya is retarded I didn't like nana one bit, whether she had a dark past or not she wasn't so smart at the sometimesin the episodes. Kyouya is also a bit retarded

More topics from this board

» talentless nana S2?

VELVET_BLUES - Jun 24, 2021

18 by Sku_te »»
Oct 18, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ringare - Dec 27, 2020

267 by Sku_te »»
Oct 11, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2020

132 by GOBERSERK »»
Jun 12, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

XXXXXXXXXIII - Sep 26, 2020

285 by EmiliaPinkman »»
May 27, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2020

133 by Narity_ »»
Feb 13, 9:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.