Sep 17, 2021 5:34 PM
Jan 2021
SoulFighter17 said:
What do you mean by “self aware anime”?
it means that it's aware of itself
TATAKAE!! TATAKAE!!
Sep 17, 2021 5:35 PM

Jan 2021
Does anyone have any self aware anime recommendations?
Just watch anime instead of looking at forums
Sep 17, 2021 5:56 PM

Feb 2021
Clobbopus said:
Eromanga-sensei
Sep 17, 2021 5:58 PM

Sep 2014
Clobbopus said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/33850/Nil_Admirari_no_Tenbin
Sep 17, 2021 6:06 PM
May 2021
Yassob said:
SoulFighter17 said:
i mean what does it mean in the context of anime
Sep 17, 2021 6:06 PM

Dec 2010
Clobbopus said:

Hayate no gotoku, lucky star, zetsubou sensei
Sep 17, 2021 6:15 PM
Jan 2021
Clobbopus said:
konosuba
TATAKAE!! TATAKAE!!
Sep 17, 2021 6:20 PM

Jul 2015
Truth.
Even utter trash becomes watchable, if it is self-awarne

Clobbopus said:

Ok, this is gonna be an extreme hot take: Conception

Sep 17, 2021 6:23 PM
Jul 2020
Yassob said:
SoulFighter17 said:

Like the misfit of demon king academy, the authors knows that this guy is overpowered as shit and they know it
Sep 17, 2021 7:51 PM
Sep 2021
Do you think there gonna make a season 2???
Sep 17, 2021 9:10 PM
Jun 2021
SoulFighter17 said:

In this animes case it means it knows its cringe/"trash." Its not trying to be anything other than what it is.
It knows it and owns it
Sep 17, 2021 10:49 PM
Feb 2021
Pharqwad said:
SoulFighter17 said:

In this animes case it means it knows its cringe/"trash." Its not trying to be anything other than what it is.
It knows it and owns it

It is trying to be more than that, though. At multiple points it tries to pretend like it actually has something serious to say, which completely ruins the "self-awareness" vibe. The fact that it occasionally tries to take itself, its characters, and their relationships completely seriously makes it a failure at its intended premise because it forces ME to take these things seriously, and I wind up hating everyone involved.
Sep 17, 2021 11:08 PM

Oct 2019
MugenNoShirayuki said:
Pharqwad said:

It knows it and owns it

It is trying to be more than that, though. At multiple points it tries to pretend like it actually has something serious to say, which completely ruins the "self-awareness" vibe. The fact that it occasionally tries to take itself, its characters, and their relationships completely seriously makes it a failure at its intended premise because it forces ME to take these things seriously, and I wind up hating everyone involved.

Why are you a robot that can't have fun while empathizing with the characters? The best comedy, to me, is when I give a shit about that characters. And it's not like this becomes super dramatic - ever. Just the characters being themselves in a way that feels sensible for who they've been established. It's a complete you-problem: the fault isn't in the writing, it's just you not being the kind of person who can find empathy in this kind of comedy. Maybe the premise inherently turns you off, which is why your opinion of it was likely never going to be kind to begin with.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2021 11:09 PM
Jul 2021
Check out gintama
Sep 18, 2021 2:32 AM
Feb 2018
SoulFighter17 said:
Yassob said:

It means that the creator knows that it's based on ridiculous and illogical things but delivers the enjoyment to the audience.
Sep 18, 2021 4:59 AM
Jun 2021
MugenNoShirayuki said:
Pharqwad said:

It knows it and owns it

??? I mean it's up to you whether you take it seriously, not the show. And tbh I don't really remember any serious part throughout the entire season...
Sep 18, 2021 6:59 AM

Jul 2017
are you trying to say parody anime?
Sep 18, 2021 8:35 AM
Feb 2021
Casul_Noob1997 said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

Why are you a robot that can't have fun while empathizing with the characters? The best comedy, to me, is when I give a shit about that characters. And it's not like this becomes super dramatic - ever. Just the characters being themselves in a way that feels sensible for who they've been established. It's a complete you-problem: the fault isn't in the writing, it's just you not being the kind of person who can find empathy in this kind of comedy. Maybe the premise inherently turns you off, which is why your opinion of it was likely never going to be kind to begin with.

I DO have empathy with the characters, which is why I don't feel like laughing at their suffering the way the show wants me to. If I didn't give a shit about them, then this series would be fine. But the series treats the characters and their problems seriously, like I'm supposed to care about them, and when I do, it makes me despise the pain that they keep getting put in for the sake of "comedy".
Sep 18, 2021 8:35 AM
Feb 2021
Pharqwad said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

??? I mean it's up to you whether you take it seriously, not the show. And tbh I don't really remember any serious part throughout the entire season...

If you want a serious part, how about Saki and Nagisa's broken hearts at the fact that Mirika was the one who kissed Naoya first? Taken completely seriously.
Sep 18, 2021 8:42 AM

Oct 2019
MugenNoShirayuki said:
Casul_Noob1997 said:

I DO have empathy with the characters, which is why I don't feel like laughing at their suffering the way the show wants me to. If I didn't give a shit about them, then this series would be fine. But the series treats the characters and their problems seriously, like I'm supposed to care about them, and when I do, it makes me despise the pain that they keep getting put in for the sake of "comedy".

I don't think it's pain. No one here is suffering like it's Toradora. It's cringe comedy, that's all
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2021 8:45 AM
Feb 2021
Casul_Noob1997 said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

I don't think it's pain. No one here is suffering like it's Toradora. It's cringe comedy, that's all

Saki is suffering.
Sep 18, 2021 9:09 AM

Oct 2019
MugenNoShirayuki said:
Casul_Noob1997 said:

Saki is suffering.

I don't think she is. Part of this show's relief is you believe Naoya is going to make it work; everyone is realistic while he's an anime character, but he has a way of giving Saki the confidence that he can make it work; even though she's tsun, she clearly isn't hating her life.
Sep 18, 2021 9:15 AM
Feb 2021
Casul_Noob1997 said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

Saki is suffering.

I don't think she is. Part of this show's relief is you believe Naoya is going to make it work; everyone is realistic while he's an anime character, but he has a way of giving Saki the confidence that he can make it work; even though she's tsun, she clearly isn't hating her life.

Sep 18, 2021 9:21 AM

Oct 2019
MugenNoShirayuki said:
Casul_Noob1997 said:

Obviously she isn't fully accepting of it, but that doesn't mean her feelings can't change. She likes Nagisa, and Naoya is so dedicated to making this work that even setting aside the nature of this kind of story having a happy ending out of obligation, that there's no reality where she doesn't come around. The test would be making it believable, and that includes the others
Sep 18, 2021 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
Why don't you marry them then? Typical liberals.
Sep 19, 2021 2:58 PM
Feb 2021
Casul_Noob1997 said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

Obviously she isn't fully accepting of it, but that doesn't mean her feelings can't change. She likes Nagisa, and Naoya is so dedicated to making this work that even setting aside the nature of this kind of story having a happy ending out of obligation, that there's no reality where she doesn't come around. The test would be making it believable, and that includes the others

There is no method of "making it work" that I will find believable. Or at least not believable in a way that I find acceptable. Browbeating someone into accepting a situation that they don't like, for example, is totally believable. I will just despise the series for doing it.
Sep 19, 2021 3:01 PM

Oct 2019
MugenNoShirayuki said:
Casul_Noob1997 said:

There is no method of "making it work" that I will find believable. Or at least not believable in a way that I find acceptable. Browbeating someone into accepting a situation that they don't like, for example, is totally believable. I will just despise the series for doing it.

Then it's all on you. Sorry you're forcing yourself to experience a story that you'll never like
Sep 19, 2021 4:26 PM
Aug 2019
SoulFighter17 said:
Anime that is trash(or that it does stupid things) and doesn't pretend they're telling a great story(like the detective shitshow anime), basically a show that knows how to laugh at itself

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo mo Kanojo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

169 by 2135east »»
Oct 7, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Kanojo mo Kanojo Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2021

130 by Jaredbftball »»
Oct 3, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Kanojo mo Kanojo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

314 by Jaredbftball »»
Sep 30, 2:33 PM

» Girlfriend, Girlfriend is now being dubbed!

Yui_Suzumiya69 - Aug 12, 2022

23 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
Sep 6, 10:09 AM

Poll: » Kanojo mo Kanojo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2021

183 by crylam »»
Jul 18, 4:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.