Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2021 8:15 PM
Nov 2018
After watching the anime and reading through all the reviews I am certain about one thing, people dont watch the entire anime before reviewing, like most of the reviews are applicable to only the first 4-5 episodes. I admit I was getting a bit bored of the stale narrative of taking down one Talented every episode in quite smart ways (even though the Talenteds themselves are quite dumb ofc). But what followed was just some amazing movie material. Talentless Nana perhaps has the most multidimensional character arcs that I have ever watched and all in all it felt very real. I could see smart and self aware people go through the charcater swings like Nana did.

*Spoilers ahead*

Like I mentioned the first 4-5 episodes, were a bit stale, but now I see it was just to set up Nana's character arc for the next episodes. In these episodes, Nana killed Talenteds and got away with it, despite a detective nipping at her heel. In every episode, she was in control. She gathered info, created a situation where she had already won, and then executed it to perfection, and detective Kyoya was always one step behind. She was winning and winning big. It was the story of a murderous psychopath, not much else.

Then came the necromancer arc and by god was it good. For the first time it was that Nana was the hunted and not the hunter. She had to grasp for straws just to make it out. With sheer luck, she was successful and that was just thrilling to follow. Soon after she was getting cornered from all sides, where she might get detected, with some more luck, she was able to make a fool of Kyoya, and actually kill more of her targets. At this point these are just adrenaline boosts, right? The two players in this cat and mouse game are playing the optimal moves, no ones making a mistake but luck favors our protagonist and thats what we want to see.

It seems now Nana is back in control. Episode 8-9 just showed how out of control she is in this whole situation, how much she doesnt know, how shes being manipulated and used. In these episodes, Nana is at her lowest point, she is just realising how out of depth she is with the investigations, her adversaries and with her own emotions. She was earlier convinced that she was doing the right thing and saving the world with her murders, but now she doubts herself.

From episode 10, Nana starts what I like to call her emotional rehabilitation. It is forced upon her how wrong she had been all this time about Talenteds, by the "overflowing trust and goodwill" of Michiru, and bit by bit, the scales were lifted from over her eyes. She was always suspicious of Michiru, that she must be hiding something. No one could be that nice right?, Nana thought. But eventually her feelings for Michiru combined with Michiru's actions themselves, helped Nana trust someone other than herself ... and make herself a new friend. Once people have ideas fixed in their heads, thoughts which shape the whole foundation of their lives and actions, its almost impossible to see them change. It was just touching to see the purity of Michiru change Nana who is so set in her ways. And in some ways hopeful.

Nana's character growth can only be described as a rollercoaster in the whole anime. She was thrust into a dramatic situation and she grew up with every episode. And these character growths werent even unwarranted, some might even say her growth was slow, but to me she felt real. She was portrayed exactly how a normal human might have felt in her shoes. She has been told all her life that Talenteds are the reason of the worlds problems. She is the hunter, and soon realizes how alone she is and how separate she is from reality. And then she finds something good in her life, something to make her happy and change her mind. And change her mind she does but at the greatest cost. Its just beautiful to see such strong character writing.
Jan 24, 2021 6:58 AM
Nov 2020
Her development just started when anime ended. And it is really well done. It's slow, well phased and relatively believable ch. development. Her character is one of the biggest pros this series has to offer.
Jan 24, 2021 7:00 AM

Jul 2020
Great now copy past your thread in your review while you're at it.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 24, 2021 10:52 AM

Apr 2020
as you said how the masterpiece is this masterpiece, to be honest I really like this show, for some reason people hate it because they might drop it at the beginning of the episode because they don't like Nana or the plot even though in the future it's better especially you should read the manga
Jan 24, 2021 5:22 PM
Nov 2018
Rinkahai said:
as you said how the masterpiece is this masterpiece, to be honest I really like this show, for some reason people hate it because they might drop it at the beginning of the episode because they don't like Nana or the plot even though in the future it's better especially you should read the manga

I will but i am waiting to see if S2 comes out within the next year then I would rather watch the anime first.
Jan 24, 2021 5:23 PM
Nov 2018
Scordolo said:
Great now copy past your thread in your review while you're at it.

Apparently you cant put spoilers in your reviews or berate other reviews so this is the best place for it.
Jan 25, 2021 11:05 AM

May 2015
I love Nana and her development. She's on my top 10 now.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 27, 2021 2:26 AM
Mar 2020
its like reviewing steins;gate at their early episode. plus it got 23 ep but this only got 12.
Jan 31, 2021 3:26 AM

Nov 2008
I disagree that Nana was a psychopath. Calling her so is akin to calling soldiers in war who kill those of the opposing side psychopaths.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Feb 4, 2021 11:53 AM
Mar 2017
If what you mean by nice character writing, then yes nana is, but other characters, no. It's like they have a convenient brain switch, i mean sometimes they are really smart, almost 1 step behind nana and figuring it out, but suddenly their brain switch turns off after nana said her excuse, "that makes sense, it can't be her then". If others said the plot and pacing is good, then yes it is but not the characters

And yes, i watched until the end and that still hasn't changed, don't get me wrong i rather enjoyed this, but like i said the characters bug me
Feb 8, 2021 3:22 PM

Oct 2008
Can't say I liked Nana though. While I do appreciate her revealing her true intentions at the end of ep 1, which got me exited for the anime. I have to say that an intriguing character is not necessarily a likable character. And I found Nana to be very unlikable. If you say the character writing in this anime was a masterpiece, then I can agree, but also am reminded that the character development was lacking in sertain areas (majority of the class) and the relationship building was playing second fiddle to a plot that failed get as far as it could.
Feb 11, 2021 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
For some Reason I find Akuma No Riddle a better story than Munou na Nana, the adaptation got me sleeping after the 7th episode compared to AnR.

In the end, its all about tastes. Some of the stuff happening here was asspull compared to AnR or any psychological thriller anime

More topics from this board

» talentless nana S2?

VELVET_BLUES - Jun 24, 2021

18 by Sku_te »»
Oct 18, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ringare - Dec 27, 2020

267 by Sku_te »»
Oct 11, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2020

132 by GOBERSERK »»
Jun 12, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

XXXXXXXXXIII - Sep 26, 2020

285 by EmiliaPinkman »»
May 27, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2020

133 by Narity_ »»
Feb 13, 9:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.