Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2020 2:43 AM
Oct 2014
So rare we get the chance to see a anime who makes you think like this one, unlike detective shows in which you cannot see the entire picture and then the MC pulls out some proof that wasn't even on camera, in this anime you can deduce most things before they are explained by the detective.
It feels so good when you discover stuff side by side with the characters.

What do you think? Can this become a classic?
Dec 5, 2020 3:25 AM

Aug 2012
If the things were explained then why some people aren't entertained by the fact that we see the whole picture? They even start doubting the character's decisions and the ways MC gets out of the situation. I can explain why. Viewers tend to forget that we see the events from the killer's perspective. We perceive the characters from the killer's point of view. Thus, we are only given the amount of information available to the killer. As simple as that.

For the entertainment value alone it's enough and it works quite well. But this also makes some people mad. Every character's action must have a reason, and when we only see the effect without a cause we're forced to think. Except that your average viewer isn't used to thinking. The audience expects the story and the character's motives to be explained in your face. That's why we constantly ask questions like "why did the character do this and not that", and that's why we come up with the simplest yet somewhat reasonable explanation "characters are dumb and the MC has plot armor."

I doubt this show ever becomes a classic because people would rather appreciate seeing proper characters exposition and something with a more artistic feel to it in general. But we should definitely treasure this one as a rare specimen.
Dec 5, 2020 2:05 PM

Apr 2020
even though you hate this anime because you don't know anything at least it has the best plot this season, if you are annoyed while watching it you have to read the manga first and there is a lot of explanation why Nana is like that, the average person just hates and drops, well people's tastes are different but this is the best show and I enjoy it
Dec 5, 2020 3:12 PM
Nov 2020
Rinkahai said:
even though you hate this anime because you don't know anything at least it has the best plot this season, if you are annoyed while watching it you have to read the manga first and there is a lot of explanation why Nana is like that, the average person just hates and drops, well people's tastes are different but this is the best show and I enjoy it

Same here, and in manga plot got so much better after 47 chapter. Even though I still have some problems with its writting and somewhat silly moments, I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed 2nd season of Re:Zero. It srsly needs 2 seasons for people to understand.

But back to the topic.
I don't believe that it will become classic, but what do you consider to be classics? Old shows? New shows? Highly rated shows? Popular shows? I don't care honestly I disliked many shows others considered to be "Classics"
Dec 6, 2020 5:33 AM
Sep 2019
This is one of the most enjoyable shows im watching this season.
Its a breath of fresh air
Dec 6, 2020 10:53 AM
May 2016
it can if it gets more seasons. The series keeps getting better as it goes(manga reader speaking), and if it were to get a full adaptation, it would be easy to say it's a classic.

The series is great keeping people's attention, however if it stops at season one, it will likely be remembered as another incomplete series.
Dec 6, 2020 12:04 PM
Dec 2018
Well, the ones who have no idea about the plot are the first to give out their judgements. The minute a new character is introduced, they'll be like, I don't know anything about him/her, why should I care about him/her. Some would complain that there are so many characters that it's confusing. This is the first anime for which I had to go and read the manga, because it made me curious. Nana is an amazing killer, though a bit brainwashed. The more power you have, the less brains you use, and it's evident from the characters. It's hard for it to be a classic, not because it's not great, but because the community in genral is a little bit impatient.
Dec 6, 2020 12:59 PM

Aug 2019
classic? that’s a pretty bold take if I’ve ever seen one
Dec 6, 2020 3:03 PM

Jan 2016
So I'd say it depends on whether you mean classic as "one of the best shows in my opinion" or classic in the sense of "a show that is widely known or respected by fans of the medium". If the former, well obviously that varies person to person, what I consider one of my classics could come across as boring to someone else. But sure, it absolutely could be one of your classics. If you mean the latter of a show that is widely known or respected...... at the moment I kinda doubt it.

It's somewhat popular, but honestly not even close to one of the top anime of the season, and even a good number of the shows above it I doubt will be widely remembered for years to come. And I'm not sure it's poised to really become such a well respected show that it stays in the topic through dedicated fans pushing it just because from basically episode 2 on, it's been pretty contentious between people that feel it is great at the psychological thriller bit and people that think it's trying to be clever but is not smart enough to actually be clever. Maybe it'll turn around with some huge reveal at the end that shows just how smart the show actually is, but I'm not going to expect that just because that's a recipe for disappointment (I'll be ecstatic if it happens though)

So at least at the moment, I don't think it'll be widely considered a classic. If it becomes one of your favorites, great, push the show, try to get others to love it the way you love it, but remember not everyone will. And if my comment is laughable years from now because it's undeniably a classic, great for the show, I'm glad it managed to gain that attention. But where I am now, I don't see it being remembered much into 2021.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 7, 2020 10:41 AM

May 2014
Almost 70k people watching in the MAL statistics at this point is actually relatively strong, and it has an upwards trend too. It started off way down. Of course, it will probably not get as many viewers as the biggest battle shonen / action / romcom / harem shows because those are usually what people like the most.

MaskOfIce said:
from basically episode 2 on, it's been pretty contentious between people that feel it is great at the psychological thriller bit and people that think it's trying to be clever but is not smart enough to actually be clever. Maybe it'll turn around with some huge reveal at the end that shows just how smart the show actually is, but I'm not going to expect that just because that's a recipe for disappointment (I'll be ecstatic if it happens though)
Death Note and Code Geass are not even remotely smart in their mind game and strategy shenanigans, and that never stopped them. Though people tend to have an overly generous view of them for some reason. I don't think actually being smart in strategies and mind games is a prerequisite at all.
TheDeedsOfMenDec 7, 2020 11:04 AM
Dec 7, 2020 10:44 AM

Jun 2020
I don't know if it's a classic or anything but it's definitely my pick for AOTS
This anime shit is addictive
Dec 7, 2020 1:29 PM

Jan 2016
TheDeedsOfMen said:

MaskOfIce said:
from basically episode 2 on, it's been pretty contentious between people that feel it is great at the psychological thriller bit and people that think it's trying to be clever but is not smart enough to actually be clever. Maybe it'll turn around with some huge reveal at the end that shows just how smart the show actually is, but I'm not going to expect that just because that's a recipe for disappointment (I'll be ecstatic if it happens though)
Death Note and Code Geass are not even remotely smart in their mind game and strategy shenanigans, and that never stopped them. Though people tend to have an overly generous view of them for some reason. I don't think actually being smart in strategies and mind games is a prerequisite at all.

The point wasn't that that was a prerequisite, but rather that it's neither popular enough to become a classic at the moment, nor is it getting the sort of universal acclaim that makes it likely for it to be looked at as a classic down the line. While I wasn't watching anime during the heyday of Death Note and Code Geass, both are some of the most popular anime of all time, so it doesn't matter their quality at this point, they've earned a classic status through that alone. Talentless Nana is far from the most popular anime this season, and that's where my comment about it's reception comes in, because with the relatively contentious opinions, it seems unlikely to me for it grow in stature over time. Could I be wrong? Of course. Kemono Friends famously had a terrible initial impression but slowly grew over time to be arguably a modern classic. But with where it is now, I don't see that happening.
MaskOfIceDec 7, 2020 1:36 PM
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 7, 2020 1:32 PM

Oct 2016
It's pretty good, got me into reading it's manga and gotta say the adaptation is pretty well, weak start but going good.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Dec 7, 2020 2:55 PM

May 2014
MaskOfIce said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

The point wasn't that that was a prerequisite, but rather that it's neither popular enough to become a classic at the moment, nor is it getting the sort of universal acclaim that makes it likely for it to be looked at as a classic down the line. While I wasn't watching anime during the heyday of Death Note and Code Geass, both are some of the most popular anime of all time, so it doesn't matter their quality at this point, they've earned a classic status through that alone. Talentless Nana is far from the most popular anime this season, and that's where my comment about it's reception comes in, because with the relatively contentious opinions, it seems unlikely to me for it grow in stature over time. Could I be wrong? Of course. Kemono Friends famously had a terrible initial impression but slowly grew over time to be arguably a modern classic. But with where it is now, I don't see that happening.

Of course I don't think it will as popular as Death Note or Code Geass. What I said is that actually smart strategies and mind games are definitely not the reason for the difference. You were speculating about whether the show would show its intelligence at the end; I argue that it is barely even relevant as far as popularity is concerned. The viewers don't care about intelligence. There are far more obvious examples of that; after all, DN and CG are still relatively smart shows overall.

The list of the most popular anime of all time is stacked with battle shonen, action shows, Gary Stu isekai, harems, various romcoms, etc., along with old shows that had a long time to gather viewers. Breaking into that group was never realistic to begin with.
Dec 7, 2020 3:24 PM

Jan 2016
TheDeedsOfMen said:
MaskOfIce said:

Of course I don't think it will as popular as Death Note or Code Geass. What I said is that actually smart strategies and mind games are definitely not the reason for the difference. You were speculating about whether the show would show its intelligence at the end; I argue that it is barely even relevant as far as popularity is concerned. The viewers don't care about intelligence. There are far more obvious examples of that; after all, DN and CG are still relatively smart shows overall.

The list of the most popular anime of all time is stacked with battle shonen, action shows, Gary Stu isekai, harems, various romcoms, etc., along with old shows that had a long time to gather viewers. Breaking into that group was never realistic to begin with.

Ah, I mostly meant that bit about whether it would "show its intelligence" for whether the popular consensus would turn around on the show, basically just "I don't expect the fact that it's contentious to go away" was all I meant by that, but the way I expressed that was bad I'll admit.
Dec 14, 2020 3:17 AM

Mar 2020
As much as mirai nikki, danganronpa or assasination classroom are considered classics.
Dec 14, 2020 4:43 AM

Mar 2012
zahermit said:
So rare we get the chance to see a anime who makes you think like this one, unlike detective shows in which you cannot see the entire picture and then the MC pulls out some proof that wasn't even on camera, in this anime you can deduce most things before they are explained by the detective.

This? A classic? It's not even close to the best show this season, let alone 2020 anime as a whole. Get real. And if the manga is anything to go by, season 2 would just be worse.
Dec 22, 2020 6:53 AM
Apr 2019
A classic? Absolutely not. I’m enjoying this show fine, but it’s certainly not the type of show to be commonly regarded by the anime community as a classic. It will probably be forgotten in a few seasons or so. It suffers from a bad case of character is made to look smart by dumbing down the rest of the cast.

For example, Kyoya is definitely my favorite character because he has common sense. However, while he questioned legitimacy of Nana’s ability before, but now seems to accept that it’s real. Why? Why doesn’t he think about a certain thing every day and make her guess what it is if he really wants to prove it? It’s not hard to prove if she has mind reading abilities or not, and it’s unbelievable that he hasn’t figured out that it’s fake by now, so he could at least have that against her. She can’t just constantly make excuses about her powers not working. Come on

Other instance of unbelievable thing: Why was the time traveler guy so dumb? Why would he go with Nana to the place where he was going to be killed? WHY? I know he’s a desperate, but he knew she was a killer, so....?

Talentless Nana is decent sometimes, and is definitely a fun and somewhat refreshing watch. However, it will certainly not become a classic. The animation and direction is too mediocre, most of the characters are irritatingly lacking in common sense, and it’s plot could be shut down if the smart one just took action. And that’s my essay
Dec 22, 2020 8:27 AM
Aug 2019
Maybe if you're including additional information from the manga, but if we were basing it purely off what we see in the anime...
Dec 22, 2020 9:40 AM
Nov 2020
Blue_86 said:
A classic? Absolutely not. I’m enjoying this show fine, but it’s certainly not the type of show to be commonly regarded by the anime community as a classic. It will probably be forgotten in a few seasons or so. It suffers from a bad case of character is made to look smart by dumbing down the rest of the cast.

For example, Kyoya is definitely my favorite character because he has common sense. However, while he questioned legitimacy of Nana’s ability before, but now seems to accept that it’s real. Why? Why doesn’t he think about a certain thing every day and make her guess what it is if he really wants to prove it? It’s not hard to prove if she has mind reading abilities or not, and it’s unbelievable that he hasn’t figured out that it’s fake by now, so he could at least have that against her. She can’t just constantly make excuses about her powers not working. Come on

Other instance of unbelievable thing: Why was the time traveler guy so dumb? Why would he go with Nana to the place where he was going to be killed? WHY? I know he’s a desperate, but he knew she was a killer, so....?

Talentless Nana is decent sometimes, and is definitely a fun and somewhat refreshing watch. However, it will certainly not become a classic. The animation and direction is too mediocre, most of the characters are irritatingly lacking in common sense, and it’s plot could be shut down if the smart one just took action. And that’s my essay

Unlike rest of the cast Kyouya came to the island with a suspection in the 1st place at the same time as Nana did, while rest grew up happily believing in this space alien, you are special because of Talent propaganda. So yea it is natural and understandable for them to be arrogant, naive and keep pushing their luck stronger their ability is and will more likely believe in mind controling invisible aliens, rather than killer being the nicest girl in the class, which was also injured by EoH and which has proven her ability many times (ep 9 is good example) and has kinda a good excuse why she always involved when disturbances occured with no solid evidance to doubt her stories. Altough later on in manga

When comes Kyouya believing in her ability. He believes as everyone does, that only Talented students are on that island exeption being teachers etc., meaning that she needs to have some Talent which she proved many times as I mentioned before and she also gave him good points about her innocence like: When the shed was blown, why would she tried to kill if she knew that he is immortal? or how could she hear the cat stuck in the sewers when she was in infirmary? Not mentioning after 9 ep he DOES believe that Nana is a killer, but he needs to find a good evidance to link her with these killings otherwise he will just lose more trust among the students if he would try to push it further after he failed to prove it in ep 9.

About the time traveler. Nana’s story fitted perfectly with his experiance when he was back tracing, that’s why he started to trust her. I wouldn’t say he’s dumb rather overconfidant in his ability which honestly everyone would be. Why do you think he knew about her being the killer?

About this show becoming a classic, I doubt that, because writting in this show is far from perfect the whole beggining is imo weakest part of the manga/show. Especialy eps 4-7 in anime, which feels very repetetive and individiual cases there could have been pulled off in much more interesting way with 0 changes to the upcoming story.
It depend how will people like it after the ending of the show if they will want to see more. Because from that point plot just gets better and better in the manga.
All I can hope for is 2nd season of anime, rather then this becoming a classic.
StrykerynoDec 22, 2020 9:46 AM
Dec 22, 2020 9:46 AM

Jul 2020
YutakaYamadafan said:

You are really joking right?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 22, 2020 1:19 PM
Sep 2019
Scordolo said:
YutakaYamadafan said:

You are really joking right?

No im not joking.
Its either generic shouen b.s
Or transported to another world shows that are dominating the mainstream and this one is literally a breath of fresh air.
The story , and plot set up is diffrent
Its very enjoyable.
Dec 22, 2020 4:28 PM
Apr 2019
Strykeryno said:

Unlike rest of the cast Kyouya came to the island with a suspection in the 1st place at the same time as Nana did, while rest grew up happily believing in this space alien, you are special because of Talent propaganda. So yea it is natural and understandable for them to be arrogant, naive and keep pushing their luck stronger their ability is and will more likely believe in mind controling invisible aliens, rather than killer being the nicest girl in the class, which was also injured by EoH and which has proven her ability many times (ep 9 is good example) and has kinda a good excuse why she always involved when disturbances occured with no solid evidance to doubt her stories. Altough later on in manga

When comes Kyouya believing in her ability. He believes as everyone does, that only Talented students are on that island exeption being teachers etc., meaning that she needs to have some Talent which she proved many times as I mentioned before and she also gave him good points about her innocence like: When the shed was blown, why would she tried to kill if she knew that he is immortal? or how could she hear the cat stuck in the sewers when she was in infirmary? Not mentioning after 9 ep he DOES believe that Nana is a killer, but he needs to find a good evidance to link her with these killings otherwise he will just lose more trust among the students if he would try to push it further after he failed to prove it in ep 9.

About the time traveler. Nana’s story fitted perfectly with his experiance when he was back tracing, that’s why he started to trust her. I wouldn’t say he’s dumb rather overconfidant in his ability which honestly everyone would be. Why do you think he knew about her being the killer?

About this show becoming a classic, I doubt that, because writting in this show is far from perfect the whole beggining is imo weakest part of the manga/show. Especialy eps 4-7 in anime, which feels very repetetive and individiual cases there could have been pulled off in much more interesting way with 0 changes to the upcoming story.
It depend how will people like it after the ending of the show if they will want to see more. Because from that point plot just gets better and better in the manga.

My bad. I meant the future photo guy, not the time traveler. You made some good points. As the for the Kyouya thing, if Kyouya wanted to find evidence that Nana was the killer so everyone else would believe him, why not try to confirm if her powers worked the way that she said they did? There were multiple instances that her ability seemed a bit sketchy, so there’s some basis to test them. She did prove some things, but it still leaves room for doubt. It seems like it would be an extremely easy ability to test
Dec 22, 2020 5:09 PM

May 2014
Blue_86 said:
As I mentioned, that never stopped Death Note and Code Geass with far more absurd "tactical" decisions, and those are still way smarter than most of the other popular anime. Why are you even assuming that the anime community rewards intelligence or cares about it?

Now, if you want an anime to become a classic, the easiest ways are:
1) standard battle shonen, and
2) Gary Stu harem isekai.
Do one of those, and you have a decent shot.
Dec 22, 2020 8:44 PM

Jul 2020
SparkleDuck said:
zahermit said:

This? A classic? It's not even close to the best show this season, let alone 2020 anime as a whole. Get real. And if the manga is anything to go by, season 2 would just be worse.

What do you thing is the best show this season??

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 22, 2020 10:54 PM

Mar 2012
Scordolo said:
SparkleDuck said:

Tossup between Golden Kamuy S3, Higurashi Gou and Akuadama Drive, but Golden Kamuy for me personally. AoT has the potential but it only started towards the end of the season so not much to go off of yet.
Dec 23, 2020 12:03 AM

Mar 2020
SparkleDuck said:
Scordolo said:

Tossup between Golden Kamuy S3, Higurashi Gou and Akuadama Drive, but Golden Kamuy for me personally. AoT has the potential but it only started towards the end of the season so not much to go off of yet.

personally im going to give golden kamuy and nana 9/10, higurashi gou so far is disappointing and akudama lost a lot of its quality after
Dec 23, 2020 12:47 AM
Nov 2020
Blue_86 said:
Strykeryno said:

My bad. I meant the future photo guy, not the time traveler. You made some good points. As the for the Kyouya thing, if Kyouya wanted to find evidence that Nana was the killer so everyone else would believe him, why not try to confirm if her powers worked the way that she said they did? There were multiple instances that her ability seemed a bit sketchy, so there’s some basis to test them. She did prove some things, but it still leaves room for doubt. It seems like it would be an extremely easy ability to test

Tsunekichi (Photo guy) was one of those cases of someone truly poisoned by his own power, I don’t think he wanted to go to that place until he got the photo with dead Nana which was a turning point for him, after that he believed that it was Nana who was supposed to die, not him. And Nana would more likely try to dodge that place rather than him.
Back to Nana’s power. She described her power as something she’s not in direct control, she’s able to hear random thoughts, but cannot ask a direct questions. Also she mentioned when she’s tired it’s even less effective which she can excuse by her taking patrols during nights. Everyone has some kind of a weakness or limitations to their powers same goes for Nana that’s why it’s not so suspicious when her ability sometimes just doesn’t work. Kyouya does not doubt her ability after the instances I already described in my previous post, if he would try to push Nana further he would only lose more trust among the students after he failed to prove her guilty in ep 9.
Dec 23, 2020 12:54 AM
Nov 2020
KuroNekoAlchemy said:
SparkleDuck said:

personally im going to give golden kamuy and nana 9/10, higurashi gou so far is disappointing and akudama lost a lot of its quality after

Yea Akuduma lost it’s spark after that, and
Dec 23, 2020 3:15 AM
Apr 2019
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Blue_86 said:
As I mentioned, that never stopped Death Note and Code Geass with far more absurd "tactical" decisions, and those are still way smarter than most of the other popular anime. Why are you even assuming that the anime community rewards intelligence or cares about it?

True, that’s generally the classic criteria unfortunately. But in Nana’s case, characters feel too noticeably dense- is it just me? It’s not really accessible like Death Note or Code Geass, and the production values don’t help it. Death Note may dumb down it’s characters, but most of the strategies are needlessly complicated and explained to the audience well, meaning it can appeal to a wide variety of people. Code Geass may think it’s a lot smarter than it is, but it has stand out production values, is one of the few mecha shows with a great ending, lots of waifus, and is generally pretty charming and entertaining. Nana just doesn’t have anything like that- in my opinion
Dec 23, 2020 5:45 AM
Nov 2020
Blue_86 said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

True, that’s generally the classic criteria unfortunately. But in Nana’s case, characters feel too noticeably dense- is it just me? It’s not really accessible like Death Note or Code Geass, and the production values don’t help it. Death Note may dumb down it’s characters, but most of the strategies are needlessly complicated and explained to the audience well, meaning it can appeal to a wide variety of people. Code Geass may think it’s a lot smarter than it is, but it has stand out production values, is one of the few mecha shows with a great ending, lots of waifus, and is generally pretty charming and entertaining. Nana just doesn’t have anything like that- in my opinion

Exept Code Geass’s ending was kinda dumped with it’s newest movie. But yea I did enjoy it the it even though I’am not a mecha fan.
I wouldn’t really compare this to DN or CG. CG is simply much more bigger. Plot, cast, etc. DN on the other hand has some similarities with Nana like same dynamics between Kyouya and Nana as Light and L had, MC trying to dodge suspision etc. But Nana unlike DN isn’t 100% cat’n’mouse game, plot in Nana starts to deviate after 9th ep of the anime going more into character exploration/development territory while keeping its psychological/suspense/problem solving elements. Not mentioning both DN and CG were made by much more known studios and with much more budget then here.
But yea i see your problem with dense characters. The thing is that thare is only handfull of characters which are acting like a characters in this story while the whole class is just as a background from which the author always grabs a new character and puts it in the story until his/hers chapter finishes and then puts them away. That’s my biggest problem and honestly more setting exploration/interaction would be better for a viewer. But on the other hand knowing all content from the manga, it kinda makes sense why it is this way. To sum it up the show has kinda same narrative stracture as for example Re:Zero has, aka narriative via eyes of the MC where you are stuck with MC 80%-90% times throughout the show.
For me personaly the selling point in this show is MC. Her deductions and predictions are logical, smart and easy to follow and her development later on in the manga is nicely phased. If you pay enough attenttion to the details in the background during the individual cases, you may figure out the solution before MC does. Even though the story isn’t really unpredictable it knows how to suprise you imo it does great job with it’s twists and turns.
So yea even though this show has problems and it’s writting is far from perfect. It is still for me such enjoyable show to watch/read for the reasons I stated above, and it is for the biggest suprise in anime this year.

Dec 23, 2020 6:06 AM
Mar 2020
Strykeryno said:
KuroNekoAlchemy said:

it's this your Alt account lmao ?
Dec 23, 2020 6:38 AM

May 2014
Blue_86 said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

It is not only that the strategies are too complicated; they are often very counterproductive and are likely to expose the protagonists or otherwise wreck their plans. Often Light and Lelouch would have no business getting anywhere near losing, but they somehow manage to throw away their advantages. Then luckily their opponents also throw their chances away. But people often don't notice those points. Also, I thought that Talentless Nana already explains its reasoning far too much, and it gets in the way of pacing, but I guess even more wouldn't hurt.

The point about waifus is 100 % true when it comes to popularity. Many people probably like the mecha battles. They are an ironic example though because most of those shouldn't even have happened if Lelouch had opted to rely on his eye power more. Why challenge the Britannian military to so many battles in the open when the stealthy approach is more effectives? The last few episodes of Code Geass have many logic gaps, more than most parts of the show actually. But a lot of people still really love the ending, so they didn't notice or care.

Still, I would argue that Talentless Nana has much of the same raw entertainment value as Death Note and Code Geass: relatively fast-paced, stacked with outrageous, melodramatic plot twists, has decently witty dialogue, has some moral and social commentary (though not super-advanced). Obviously they all have differences in plot structure, world-building, substance, etc.

Analyzing all these series makes me appreciate Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu even more, though it still gets fire for unrealistic space battles and the like.
Dec 23, 2020 7:24 AM
Nov 2020
RefreshNerves said:
Strykeryno said:

No, even though I watch anime for 10+ years, I ever used MAL only as information site. But then corona happened and I got really bored, so why not to talk about the show I’am enjoying.
Dec 23, 2020 8:53 AM

Mar 2020
Strykeryno said:
RefreshNerves said:

No, even though I watch anime for 10+ years, I ever used MAL only as information site. But then corona happened and I got really bored, so why not to talk about the show I’am enjoying.

Same, except I don't even use mal much, it's a backup site while anilist is my main

Mal's fault for being down so often
Dec 23, 2020 9:26 AM
Apr 2019
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Blue_86 said:

It is not only that the strategies are too complicated; they are often very counterproductive and are likely to expose the protagonists or otherwise wreck their plans. Often Light and Lelouch would have no business getting anywhere near losing, but they somehow manage to throw away their advantages. Then luckily their opponents also throw their chances away. But people often don't notice those points. Also, I thought that Talentless Nana already explains its reasoning far too much, and it gets in the way of pacing, but I guess even more wouldn't hurt.

The point about waifus is 100 % true when it comes to popularity. Many people probably like the mecha battles. They are an ironic example though because most of those shouldn't even have happened if Lelouch had opted to rely on his eye power more. Why challenge the Britannian military to so many battles in the open when the stealthy approach is more effectives? The last few episodes of Code Geass have many logic gaps, more than most parts of the show actually. But a lot of people still really love the ending, so they didn't notice or care.

Still, I would argue that Talentless Nana has much of the same raw entertainment value as Death Note and Code Geass: relatively fast-paced, stacked with outrageous, melodramatic plot twists, has decently witty dialogue, has some moral and social commentary (though not super-advanced). Obviously they all have differences in plot structure, world-building, substance, etc.

Analyzing all these series makes me appreciate Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu even more, though it still gets fire for unrealistic space battles and the like.

Never watched Galactic Heroes-really need to get around to that. Is it as good as everyone says it is?

Thing about Nana is that it’s just doesn’t stand out. The production values as I mentioned before aren’t anything to write home about, and the source material hasn’t received much hype at all. It’s decently witty when it wants to be, sure, I just don’t think it’s quite attention grabbing enough. A quick glance at it would make someone think it’s a cheap MHA rip off with the Among Us plot line taped on. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of people talking about it either
Dec 23, 2020 12:37 PM

May 2014
Blue_86 said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

Thing about Nana is that it’s just doesn’t stand out. The production values as I mentioned before aren’t anything to write home about, and the source material hasn’t received much hype at all. It’s decently witty when it wants to be, sure, I just don’t think it’s quite attention grabbing enough. A quick glance at it would make someone think it’s a cheap MHA rip off with the Among Us plot line taped on. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of people talking about it either
I rather think that all the “MHA + Among Us” and “Among Us: the Anime” Youtube videos were good for this show's popularity. It may be misleading and misrepresenting to an extent, but it makes for catchy titles and meme-filled segments. I have seen this show get positive attention on a bunch of videos related to this season, as well as other social media. Even I only started watching this last month because of the vague hype I heard and people screaming that I should watch.

This show had a lot of ground to make up. In mid-September, it was way down on the list, with under 10k people overall. Now it has more people actually watching than Noblesse, Higurashi or Kamisama, for instance, and its growth rate is still higher. Regardless of quality, it is a heroic rise by sheer numbers. It has been much in the same boat as Akudama Drive and The Journey of Elaina in that sense, even more so considering where it started.

Blue_86 said:
Never watched Galactic Heroes-really need to get around to that. Is it as good as everyone says it is?
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is a funny case when we talk about classics. It is one of those shows that a decent number of people plan to watch but only 50k have completed, with a further 25k watching (according to MAL statistics). There are already more people watching / having watched Talentless Nana than LotGH.

Of course I like LotGH a lot. It is great for people who like lenghty plot developments, high plot cohesion, gigantic world-building, large casts of characters, politics, war, and philosophy. The dialogue is witty and likes to talk about political philosophy, ethics, history, and so on. The list of topics is broad, but the main focus is the legitimacy of government. Realistic space battles, not so much, and there are some really dumb military officers among the side characters as well.

Aside from the OVA, there is also the new version, Die Neue These, and the original novel. There are slight differences between them. Die Neue These is the one closer to the novel.

If we are throwing out recommendations, next season I will be watching Kumo Desu ga, an isekai with actually interesting plot developments. (I see it is on your Plan to Watch list already.) If you ever want to read the source material, read the light novel, not the manga. I really mean it this time because the manga ruins the plot much more than adaptations usually. Based on the limited info in the PVs, the anime should be closer to the novel.
Dec 23, 2020 2:45 PM
Apr 2019
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Blue_86 said:

I rather think that all the “MHA + Among Us” and “Among Us: the Anime” Youtube videos were good for this show's popularity. It may be misleading and misrepresenting to an extent, but it makes for catchy titles and meme-filled segments. I have seen this show get positive attention on a bunch of videos related to this season, as well as other social media. Even I only started watching this last month because of the vague hype I heard and people screaming that I should watch.

This show had a lot of ground to make up. In mid-September, it was way down on the list, with under 10k people overall. Now it has more people actually watching than Noblesse, Higurashi or Kamisama, for instance, and its growth rate is still higher. Regardless of quality, it is a heroic rise by sheer numbers. It has been much in the same boat as Akudama Drive and The Journey of Elaina in that sense, even more so considering where it started.

Blue_86 said:
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is a funny case when we talk about classics. It is one of those shows that a decent number of people plan to watch but only 50k have completed, with a further 25k watching (according to MAL statistics). There are already more people watching / having watched Talentless Nana than LotGH.

Of course I like LotGH a lot. It is great for people who like lenghty plot developments, high plot cohesion, gigantic world-building, large casts of characters, politics, war, and philosophy. The dialogue is witty and likes to talk about political philosophy, ethics, history, and so on. The list of topics is broad, but the main focus is the legitimacy of government. Realistic space battles, not so much, and there are some really dumb military officers among the side characters as well.

Aside from the OVA, there is also the new version, Die Neue These, and the original novel. There are slight differences between them. Die Neue These is the one closer to the novel.

If we are throwing out recommendations, next season I will be watching Kumo Desu ga, an isekai with actually interesting plot developments. (I see it is on your Plan to Watch list already.) If you ever want to read the source material, read the light novel, not the manga. I really mean it this time because the manga ruins the plot much more than adaptations usually. Based on the limited info in the PVs, the anime should be closer to the novel.

I agree with everything you said. We’ll see where Nana goes, I suppose. I’ll definitely watch LOGH once I get some shows I’m watching done. It really seems like the kind of show most people write off as elitist trash and never get into it, real shame since so called elitist shows tend to be great. As for Kumo Desu Ga, that one definitely seems promising, though the Berserk studio handling it doesn’t seem like a good sign. HoriMiya and Mushoku Tensei seem good too. Next season is pretty stacked. This conversation is going pretty off track lol
Dec 24, 2020 10:41 AM
Jan 2018
Honestly, that's not gonna happen.
Death Note and Code Geass are shows that are flawed (I'd say Code Geass is a worse show than Nana), but Talentless Nana has a constant feeling of plot holes and conveniences every episode.

Dec 24, 2020 12:19 PM
Jan 2018
TodAboT said:

I dont mean this as an insult,

I seriously can't understand tf you are trying to say here
Dec 24, 2020 12:25 PM
Jan 2018
Descended_ said:
TodAboT said:

Dec 24, 2020 1:59 PM

Mar 2016
TodAboT said:
Descended_ said:

"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 24, 2020 2:40 PM
Jan 2018
Aure0lin said:
TodAboT said:

Dec 24, 2020 2:44 PM
Nov 2020
TodAboT said:
Descended_ said:

TodAboT said:
Descended_ said:

Yuuka was mentaly unstable with almost split personality case and extremely obsessed with her dead BF, she could get to that point where she believed her lie being truth than the actual truth. Nobody truely knows how everyone elses Talents work, but they are sure that they have some sort of limitiation same goes to Nana. Later on she explains her ability isn't really mind reading in the way someone may think, but hearing random people thoughts incl. dead people, and she can't just ask direct questions or scan somebody's mind, additionaly if she's exhausted or isn't concentrated her power is even less effective, that is her limitation.
When comes to the coffin scene(which yea felt really convinient for Nana) everyone believed that he was sick. Photo guy was loner and nobody really knew if he had health issues. But yea somebody could ask.
With those 2 missing boys. Until 9th episode nobody really wanted to believe that they are acually dead. They are kids, it's understandable, that they will be more optimistic when comes to heavy stuff.
I honestly found more holes during Back tracking guy chapter which I still find little bit confusing how his power actually worked.
But I get your constant feeling of plot holes and conveniences, which kinda stopped for me after 8th episode,(depends how you look at it) because plot starts to deviate from there.
Otherwise plot convenience? It's a shounen ofc there will be some plot convenieces. Most of popular shounens have that.
Plot holes? Did they ever stopped Jojo BA(no offense towards Jojo) from becoming one of the most popular and highly rated shows in anime? Even though thera are so MANY of them, that it pretty much became another Jojo meme?
StrykerynoDec 24, 2020 2:48 PM
Dec 24, 2020 2:58 PM

May 2014
TodAboT said:
Honestly, that's not gonna happen.
Death Note and Code Geass are shows that are flawed (I'd say Code Geass is a worse show than Nana), but Talentless Nana has a constant feeling of plot holes and conveniences every episode.
Death Note never even tried to explain why Light and L are feeding each other free important info for no reason, starting from eps 2-3. Isn't the goal of the criminal to elude the detective and the goal of the detective to catch the criminal? About 95 % of the events realistically had no place happening. It was still often entertaining but made no sense. I guess the implied reason is the massive arrogance of the characters, but that would be worse than in Talentless Nana then.

Unlike Light and Lelouch, Nana also never tries to use schemes with astronomical odds against them. The luck seems pretty tame in comparison.

TodAboT said:
How were people dying constantly when Tsunekichi's body was the first one they found? That said, I would believe them ignoring the "suffering" of his spirit and asking for the info anyway.

TodAboT said:
Are you talking about reading Yuuka's mind or Shinji's "mind"? Nana was never alone with Shinji's corpse aside from the very brief moment of trying to kill him.

If you are talking about Yuuka, Nana claims multiple times that she can't use her power to reliably parse specific thoughts. And why would Yuuka even be inclined to forcefully think that her boyfriend is dead? Sure, she admits it sometimes, but usually she is in an insane state of acting as though he is alive. Nana even believes that Yuuka may have split personality disorder.

TodAboT said:
If you recall a true event and you add fake bits to it, you would have to think about the real bits to change them (I guess whether you agree with me on this part or not is where the discussion ends).
Analyzing that would require very specific parsing of information, which is far beyond Nana's stated abilities.
TheDeedsOfMenDec 24, 2020 3:09 PM
Dec 24, 2020 3:03 PM
Jan 2018
Strykeryno said:
TodAboT said:

TodAboT said:

Yuuka was mentaly unstable with almost split personality case and extremely obsessed with her dead BF, she could get to that point where she believed her lie being truth than the actual truth. Nobody truely knows how everyone elses Talents work, but they are sure that they have some sort of limitiation same goes to Nana. Later on she explains her ability isn't really mind reading in way someone may think, but hearing random people thoughts incl. dead people, and she can't just ask direct questions or scan somebody's mind, additionaly if she's exhausted or isn't concentrated her power is even less effective, that is her limitaion.
When comes to the coffin scene(which yea felt really convinient for Nana) everyone believed that he was sick. Photo guy was loner and nobody really knew if he had health issues. But yea somebody could ask.
With those 2 missing boys. Until 9th episode nobody really wanted to believe that they are acually dead. They are kids, it's understandable, that they will be more optimistic when comes to heavy stuff.
I honestly found more holes during Back tracking guy chapter which I still find little bit confusing how his power actualy worked.
But I get your constant feeling of plot holes and conveniences, which kinda stopped for me after 8th episode,(depends how you look at it) because plot starts to deviate from there.
Otherwise plot convenience? It's a shounen ofc there will be some plot convenieces. Most of popular shounens have that.
Plot holes? Did they ever stopped Jojo BA(no offense towards Jojo) from becoming one of the most popular and highly rated shows in anime? Even though thera are so MANY of them, that it pretty much became another Jojo meme?

That Yuuka explanation makes sense, especially with her breakdown at the end of episode 7, but the Nana explanation doesn't.
When people talk to Nana about some personal topic, Nana usually adds information to said topic when she notices their clothes, movements, or a watch, like in the first episode. That would imply that she can control it, although I guess other characters don't really notice the inconsistencies of what she says, which is really convenient.

I guess that the "classic" problem has to do more with what this show tries to accomplish.

A standard battle shounen doesn't really try to act super smart or have a psychological battle.
When people call a standard shounen a classic, I don't think they mean it's fantastic, but more like it defines a generation. DBZ is a classic after all.

When people call a psychological series a classic, it refers more to its overall quality.
And I feel like this show is more obvious and constant with its conveniences and plot holes compared to other similar shows.
Dec 24, 2020 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
Nana is far too unlikable to be able to call this a classic - she would turn many people off the series.
Dec 24, 2020 3:38 PM

Mar 2016
TodAboT said:

And I feel like this show is more obvious and constant with its conveniences and plot holes compared to other similar shows.
there are conveniences like the "enemies of humanity" that i feel are used as a crutch a bit too much but the overuse of it does get explored eventually. i cant really think of any serious plot holes though
TodAboT said:
Aure0linDec 24, 2020 3:43 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 24, 2020 3:45 PM

May 2014
TodAboT said:
That Yuuka explanation makes sense, especially with her breakdown at the end of episode 7, but the Nana explanation doesn't.
When people talk to Nana about some personal topic, Nana usually adds information to said topic when she notices their clothes, movements, or a watch, like in the first episode. That would imply that she can control it, although I guess other characters don't really notice the inconsistencies of what she says, which is really convenient.
Figuring out that Nana's mind-reading is a lie based on her casually looking at a watch would be such an arbitrary guess. Forget about galaxy-braining things; you would need to fit in a whole universe for that one.

TodAboT said:
I guess that the "classic" problem has to do more with what this show tries to accomplish.

A standard battle shounen doesn't really try to act super smart or have a psychological battle.
When people call a standard shounen a classic, I don't think they mean it's fantastic, but more like it defines a generation. DBZ is a classic after all.

When people call a psychological series a classic, it refers more to its overall quality.
To have a meaningful conversation, people need to define what they mean by the word "classic" and apply it consistently within the conversation. Your suggestion of genre-specific definitions isn't universally agreed on. Calling something a classic for old, established status is a possible definition, sure, but it is not exclusive to standard battle shonen.

Also, separately, letting series off the hook because they "are not trying to act smart" is not something I can agree on. Doesn't it make the series super-boring then? They shove in a bunch of standard fight scenes and lazy dialogue and call it a day. Where's the entertainment?
TheDeedsOfMenDec 24, 2020 3:50 PM

More topics from this board

» talentless nana S2?

VELVET_BLUES - Jun 24, 2021

18 by Sku_te »»
Oct 18, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ringare - Dec 27, 2020

267 by Sku_te »»
Oct 11, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2020

132 by GOBERSERK »»
Jun 12, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

XXXXXXXXXIII - Sep 26, 2020

285 by EmiliaPinkman »»
May 27, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Munou na Nana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2020

133 by Narity_ »»
Feb 13, 9:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.