Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 18, 2018 11:45 PM
Feb 2016
Violet Evergarden is a beautiful anime with wonderful characters. I gave it a watch on Netflix a while ago and I managed to get through the whole thing. The only thing I found upsetting was in episode 5, where she is trying to get a prince and princess together through letters in their arranged marriage.

The princess is only 13 or 14 (Violet is supposed to be this age, too, despite looking and sounding older) and the prince is in his mid twenties. The princess thinks the age difference is weird and asks Violet what she thinks of it, to which Violet responds with "historically, there are a lot of successful relationships with such age differences", and being with an older man at her age wouldn't bother her. Everyone has argued with me that this is due to the "historical setting" in which this was viewed as okay. But given that there is a heavy fantasy theme, why should they keep this in?

Another thing is that I always got a very uneasy feeling with the love between Violet and her Major. Before I watched the series, a friend had told me it was a love between an adoptive father and his daughter, which I thought would be great and appropriate. But it was only after I watched the whole thing did I find out he meant he was in-love with her, and the sequal is going to include a romantic relationship with them.

Needless to say I was very disappointed.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 16, 2020 4:08 AM

May 2020
Hi everyone, I have seen this discussion last post was two years ago, but anyway I'm going to leave my comment on here as well. Please excuse my English, it's not my first language so you may find several mistakes, sorry!

I started watching Violet Evergarden some days ago, and to be honest at first I was liking the anime very much. However, I think I'm dropping it. There is no way they can explicitly construct this romantic image between Violet and Gilbert. I mean before episode 6, I thought she was around 20 and I was even passionate about the couple, but after her saying she was 14 I was SO disappointed. I totally agree, even if it suits the "epoch" of the series, there is plenty of fantasy, it doesn't explain as to why they would include a pedophile-like relationship like this. I mean, the princess (14) of this chapter marrying someone who is 24???? I'm sorry, it was just hedious to watch the letters between them, I was absolutely disgusted by the "age doesn't matter when it comes to love" thing.

To be completely honest, it has turned just impossible for me to keep watching this romanticized image of pedophilia. Violet Evergarden? No, thank you very much. I'm still surprised that it has such a good rating and films and everything. This is worrying.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Which anime has been ruined for you because of lolicon snuck in?

xChibz - Mar 25, 2018

5 by young_kappa »»
Aug 28, 2018 4:53 PM

» Which lolicon character do you hate the most?

TheInvisibleSelf - Mar 27, 2018

2 by TheInvisibleSelf »»
Mar 28, 2018 8:59 AM

» ⚠️ List of Youtubers who are lolicons/support lolicon

xChibz - Mar 26, 2018

1 by xChibz »»
Mar 26, 2018 11:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.