Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 15, 2017 5:45 PM

Feb 2015
So another KyoAni production confirmed for 2018? Not sure if anyone knows about the novel at all. I'm guessing it's adapting one of their in-house works, so most of us will be going in blind.

"The story follows Minato Narumiya. Minato played Japanese archery in middle school, but after a certain incident, he ran away from the sport. In high school, Minato meets new friends, and together as part of their school's archery club they aim to win the prefectural tournament. "

Looks GREAT on vague first impressions. I know it won't be as popular as Violet Evergarden though. Sounds like a slice of life/drama with a predominantly male cast (quite rare for KyoAni). It sounds like a "nice" anime to watch and I look forward to more details and a PV.

Kinda hope Naoko Yamada will be directing, but no matter what it should be great or at least worth watching because it's KyoAni (forgetting Phantom World).
Nov 16, 2017 10:20 PM

Nov 2007
Luke72 said:
Sounds like a slice of life/drama with a predominantly male cast (quite rare for KyoAni). It sounds like a "nice" anime to watch and I look forward to more details and a PV.

Kinda hope Naoko Yamada will be directing, but no matter what it should be great or at least worth watching because it's KyoAni (forgetting Phantom World).

Yes. It is their licensed novel just like Violet Evergarden, Free!, Chuunibyou etc. And their only second anime after Free franchise with predominantly male cast. But I think it will be more on the normal side and not as showy as Free!.

Violet Evergarden aside, out of all the novels I am particularly interested in Robot Heart Update's adaptation. I am pretty sure it will get an anime adaptation soon considering how much advertising KyoAni did over the past year and changing the character designs so that they can adapt it into anime.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 16, 2017 11:06 PM
Jan 2016
I am pretty sure this will be Free! but with archery.
Dec 21, 2017 1:05 AM

Apr 2016
Not bad, I'll try reading the novel as well.
Major_GilbertFeb 4, 2018 9:02 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Sep 3, 2018 9:07 AM

May 2017
Hopefully it's not gay. Like really hopefully.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2018 4:04 AM

Sep 2015
free is a kyoani original specifically made to cater to fujoshi etc, but this is adapted from a novel so i don't think it will just be another free
たった1秒だって俯かない
Sep 18, 2018 8:44 AM
Dec 2017
It's either gonna be another Free or a Hibike Euphonium but this time archery instead of brass instruments with mostly male cast. As much as I love Kyoani I'm gonna skip this (and binge-watch Hyouka instead).
Sep 22, 2018 9:37 AM

Mar 2016
it has a basic premise but i just love archery and it’s kyoani so i’m definitely going to see this one!

Oct 3, 2018 3:05 AM
Jul 2015
xpforever said:
It's either gonna be another Free or a Hibike Euphonium but this time archery instead of brass instruments with mostly male cast. As much as I love Kyoani I'm gonna skip this (and binge-watch Hyouka instead).

You can never go wrong with a big helping of Ice cream
Though I’ll be watching this and going I’m watching Hibike now, as I’m trying to watch every KyoAni production ever, except free of course
Oct 4, 2018 7:07 PM

Aug 2018
As an archer myself, I am very excited to see this anime. But I really hope the animators animated the proper technique because it looks ridiculous when an anime character holds the arrow like a big mac.
Oct 5, 2018 11:24 PM

Sep 2018
fujoshits incoming
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2018 9:22 AM

Apr 2016
Will this be set in boys school ?
Oct 6, 2018 5:30 PM
May 2007
The amount of triggered fanboys here.

Swagernator said:
Will this be set in boys school ?

It's fun asking this after PV4 showed female students.
Oct 6, 2018 10:26 PM

Jun 2012
I’m somewhat interested in this since I kinda liked some aspects of Free (not just the hot guys), and I usually like KyoAni works anyways. I wonder if there’ll be fan service. Oh and super amazing archery shots like how good Free’s water and swimming looked
Just waiting y’know...for death. If you also are waiting for sweet death...cool (・u・)
My list that has slightly more watched than PTW anime.
Oct 18, 2018 2:15 AM
Apr 2010
For the love of anime Lord, please do not turn this into another Free!-cum-fujoshi bait. The whole premise feels oddly similar to Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru, so I hope KyoAni does their sports anime, this time, justice.
Oct 18, 2018 6:04 PM

Oct 2015
I'm really hyped for this anime and last one to be added on my watchlist.

I just have a feeling it will be awesome.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 19, 2018 2:52 AM

Sep 2015
it's adapted from a novel. there's no way it can turn out like free lmao.

how are people even getting this impression other than the full male cast + it's a sports?
it's literally repeat of what happened when sound euphonium was released, heaps of people thought "oh another k-on" when it was completely different
たった1秒だって俯かない
Oct 21, 2018 5:36 AM

Apr 2014
I dont think its gonna be as fujoshi-ish as free! (although i wouldnt really mind).
I just really enjoy the characters kyoani makes, so I'm looking forward to a nice, fun series.

爆ぜろリアル!
弾けろシナプス!
バニッシュメント・ディス・ワールド !

Oct 22, 2018 7:58 AM

May 2018
TheServant said:
I am pretty sure this will be Free! but with archery.
Eh, I don't know. Seems much less light-hearted and more grounded. I think it'll be more like Hibike Euphonium but with archery and less romantic undertones.
Oct 22, 2018 8:11 AM
Jan 2016
RuneAgeMage said:
Eh, I don't know. Seems much less light-hearted and more grounded. I think it'll be more like Hibike Euphonium but with archery and less romantic undertones.

I have watched the 1st episode, & yes, it's indeed Free but with Archery. No sexy fan service, but pretty much the same.
Oct 22, 2018 9:26 AM

May 2018
TheServant said:
RuneAgeMage said:

I have watched the 1st episode, & yes, it's indeed Free but with Archery. No sexy fan service, but pretty much the same.

I've also seen the first episode. It does have some similarities, like the main character injuring themselves and then becoming unable to do archery is kinda similar to Sousuke's arc in S2. Free! Is generally more about the bonds created through swimming and contests are used as a means of getting there. You can kinda see this from how much of the series is focused on characters just hanging out, shopping camping etc. Heck the reason they started doing contests in the first place was so that they could get more funding for the club.

For Hibike on the other hand, the objective had always been about getting to the nationals. Thus much of the focus is on the characters practicing or internal club conflicts related to music. For example Reina and the other girl trying to get the solo part for the nationals. This show seems like it's going to be following that route whilst dealing with Narumiya's anxiety. Sort of like how Hibike did so whilst focusing on Kumiko's emotional development. You can kind of see this with how they both start off the episode.

In Free! and Tsurune, you have the soliloquy establishing the protagonists feelings toward the particular sports they do. After this, Free! goes to Nagisa and Makoto's views on Haru's swimming. There's some upbeat music as Rin and Haru race together, before he's helped out of the water by Makoto and the bond the guys have with Rin begins there. They even repeat that shot of the guys pulling each other out of the water again and again to drive home the idea of friendship.

With both Tsurune and Hibike, they start on a competition, which immediately puts that in the viewers mind as being the objective of the series. Also since the club is more or less established in both cases, (in the case of the club is just being started up), we don't need to spend a while getting everything set up. We just jump immediately into the club stuff.

Oct 22, 2018 9:29 PM

Feb 2017
as it is from kyoani, im sure this will be free 2.0 . i have never interested on kyoani sport since it is going to wrong direction from a sports anime.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Oct 22, 2018 9:35 PM

Feb 2017
the character design always the same from time to time, especially kyoani generic male.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Oct 22, 2018 9:44 PM

Apr 2013
evoniee said:
the character design always the same from time to time, especially kyoani generic male.

Similar but definitely not the same. It's probably because the nature of the studio which handles almost all the aspects of production in-house including character design, meaning they usually have the same character designer does the character design for all their shows for years.
Oct 28, 2018 10:27 PM

Mar 2017
i want to watch this but a lot of people are saying that this has yaoi in it??? ghad no ;w;

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 28, 2018 10:59 PM
Feb 2012
euls said:
i want to watch this but a lot of people are saying that this has yaoi in it??? ghad no ;w;

It doesn't have yaoi in it, stop being an idiot

there is one yaoi show this season and it's:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37597/Dakaretai_Otoko_1-i_ni_Odosarete_Imasu

it's people like you and others here who call everything yaoi that hurt a shows viewership with your misconceptions
Oct 28, 2018 11:03 PM

Mar 2017
ahneeme said:
euls said:

it's people like you and others here who call everything yaoi that hurt a shows viewership with your misconceptions

im not saying that it has yaoi in it. im saying that PEOPLE SAID THAT IT HAS
o_o
(i've been looking at the comments section at a certain anime site and it's the majority of the comments that's why I'm just making sure)
Well yaoi or not, I'm still going to watch it because of the archery.

chill i dont mean no harm lol

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 28, 2018 11:10 PM
Feb 2012
euls said:
ahneeme said:

o_o
(i've been looking at the comments section at a certain anime site and it's the majority of the comments that's why I'm just making sure)

ok I see
but I still get angry at all the neckbeards who see a show with mainly guys and start calling everything yaoi
Oct 31, 2018 1:10 PM
May 2007
ahneeme said:
euls said:

o_o

ok I see
but I still get angry at all the neckbeards who see a show with mainly guys and start calling everything yaoi

This.

I can't even remember when this stupid trend started. Imagine if I call every anime with all-female cast a yuri. I love my BL (yaoi&shounen-ai) but I can't tolerate the triggered fanboys calling every single anime with all-male or more than one male a yaoi. They must be allergic to the tiniest slightest bromance they detect. It must be homophobia. I remember Youkai Apartment got a lot of homophobic comments when it first aired because the two male leads are too close best friends. I love relationships and beautiful friendships between two males like that and it's rare in non-BL anime. People are so insecure they question the sexuality of only the male characters. I'm sure the fanboys don't mind their anime girls to be so blatantly touchy and blush or get attracted to each other but they want no homo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2018

47 by nushrathumaira »»
Aug 18, 12:00 PM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2019

92 by Letizia_Lento »»
Aug 9, 9:23 AM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2019

47 by Mirorin »»
Jun 8, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2018

47 by Mirorin »»
Jun 8, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2018

75 by Mirorin »»
Jun 8, 5:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.