Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 21, 2018 10:51 AM

Sep 2009
I think most people have figured this out but does anyone else believe that this is not based on the game but a sequel to it.

I mean there is extreme evidence that the events in the game still happened and that this is taking place after with all the defeated master coming back for revenge.
Mar 21, 2018 11:49 AM
Apr 2015
komic said:
I think most people have figured this out but does anyone else believe that this is not based on the game but a sequel to it.

I mean there is extreme evidence that the events in the game still happened and that this is taking place after with all the defeated master coming back for revenge.

It is somewhat based on a bad ending of the game.
Mar 21, 2018 11:59 AM

Aug 2010
No, it's not a sequel.

People are free to theorize about how these events relate to the game events, but the word of god is that it's a new story.
Mar 21, 2018 1:03 PM

Feb 2018
The events from the games happened. Some of them, at least. Spoilers for the game ahead, but Shinji's first round, Dan's second round, Alice's third round and Julius' sixth round, they've all already happened in the past in this show. A Kishinami Hakuno made it to Twice. But instead of wining, she lost, and Twice, at that point, shut down Moon Cell. This story takes place after that, at a later point in time. That fits the description of a sequel.

So yes, I'd say it is. Some events happened differently, like Shinji and Alice surviving their fights, Twice winning his, but overall, it takes place after Extra. It's a sequel, just like Extella.
Hate_and_RageMar 21, 2018 1:15 PM
Mar 21, 2018 1:09 PM

Aug 2010
Extella isn't a sequel either. Extella is a sequel to Extella/Zero and we don't know what actually happened in LE's timeline to be this confident about it being a sequel.

Some events happening doesn't mean it's a sequel. That's like saying that Strange Fake is a sequel to Zero because some of Zero's events happened in that timeline.
Mar 21, 2018 1:25 PM

Feb 2018
Well, sure, there are some differences, but that shouldn't completely change the nature of it. It is still, in some way, continuing the setting of Extra. Minor spoiler for CCC, but in Fate/Extra CCC, if you pick Gilgamesh as Hakuno's Servant, his Servant in the Near Side becomes a Berserker. You can't pick a Berserker as your Servant in Extra. That difference alone wouldn't disqualify CCC as a spin-off to Extra, would it?

If you want to get really technical, maybe it wouldn't qualify as a sequel, but in Nasuverse, these are the closest things to sequel we get. Everyone treats Extella as the sequel to Extra. I personally don't see any harm in calling it that.
Mar 21, 2018 1:36 PM

Aug 2010
Hate_and_Rage said:
Well, sure, there are some differences, but that shouldn't completely change the nature of it. It is still, in some way, continuing the setting of Extra. Minor spoiler for CCC, but in Fate/Extra CCC, if you pick Gilgamesh as Hakuno's Servant, his Servant in the Near Side becomes a Berserker. You can't pick a Berserker as your Servant in Extra. That difference alone wouldn't disqualify CCC as a spin-off to Extra, would it?

If you want to get really technical, maybe it wouldn't qualify as a sequel, but in Nasuverse, these are the closest things to sequel we get. Everyone treats Extella as the sequel to Extra. I personally don't see any harm in calling it that.

It doesn't disqualify CCC from being a spin-off to EXTRA, but it does disqualify it from being in the same continuity, exactly like Extella and Last Encore.

This is not being technical, this is literally the word of Nasu himself. Extella isn't a sequel to Extra. And in the same vein, CCC and LE aren't in the same continuity as Extra. Period.

The problem with calling LE a sequel is that it's treating a fanon like it's a fact. LE is an AU of Extra, so it should be treated as such.
Mar 21, 2018 1:50 PM

Feb 2018
astroprogs said:
It doesn't disqualify CCC from being a spin-off to EXTRA, but it does disqualify it from being in the same continuity, exactly like Extella and Last Encore.

This is not being technical, this is literally the word of Nasu himself. Extella isn't a sequel to Extra. And in the same vein, CCC and LE aren't in the same continuity as Extra. Period.

The problem with calling LE a sequel is that it's treating a fanon like it's a fact. LE is an AU of Extra, so it should be treated as such.

That makes sense, I guess. I think the problem I had with calling it AU is that the term "AU" alone makes things appear more confusing than they are, making the work less approachable. Not many people like dealing with anything that involves "universes". But it technically is an AU, leaving my feelings on the matter aside.
Mar 21, 2018 1:53 PM

Sep 2009
Hate_and_Rage said:
astroprogs said:

That makes sense, I guess. I think the problem I had with calling it AU is that the term "AU" alone makes things appear more confusing than they are, making the work less approachable. Not many people like dealing with anything that involves "universes". But it technically is an AU, leaving my feelings on the matter aside.

I guess you could call an alternate universe. I mean the entire Fate franchise is based on branching timelines so I suppose it could be done in another branch of the timeline.
Mar 21, 2018 2:29 PM

Aug 2010
Hate_and_Rage said:
astroprogs said:

I think calling it a sequel makes it much more unapproachable compared to AU because it puts the game as a prerequisite for watching and understanding it.

It's an AU that could be watched and understood, regardless of if you've played the game or not, and the same goes for the game. Watching both gives you a deeper understanding of the world and characters, but you don't really need one to understand the other, which just can't be true for a direct narrative sequel.

komic said:
I guess you could call an alternate universe. I mean the entire Fate franchise is based on branching timelines so I suppose it could be done in another branch of the timeline.

Well, the fact that it's 1000 years after the year 2030 and its events directly contradict Extra's ending makes it an AU and only an AU.

This should be the default stance on everything in the Nasuverse: it's an AU until explicitly said otherwise.
Mar 21, 2018 8:54 PM

Nov 2014
I don't know if it's a sequel but it certainly isn't a standalone since it's so dependent upon knowing the game lore, maybe it's an alternative sequel.
Forum Signature
Mar 22, 2018 3:39 AM

Dec 2014
Well for examples sake to answere the thread author.

From what it seems like (I know about Extra/CCC/ExtraExtellaZero/and the rest of the Extella games on PS4)

While CCC is the new game+ from the good ending of Extra. (They basiclly used the amnesia shenanigans again & used characters + servants who didnt make it into the first extra for various reasons)

LastEncore from all mentions/flashbacks & hints so far seems to be the new game+ of the bad end where you lose to Buddah. (The thing if you never really grinded much at that point in extra everyone would lose to buddah. You had to grind a lot to beat Buddah)
The only difference it that it makes several references towards Extella. (It is suggested that shit hit the fan hard on earth int those 999 years)
+ Pierceman basiclly said it this EP that for 999 years the moon cells grail wars looped.
Several female & male Hakunons fought and died. (We saw in several flashbacks Hakuno with different command spell emblems & in Rani`s EP we saw several figures of masters who stood besides her + there was male & female Hakuno standing with them)
Well something like looping or overalpping timeline shoulndt happen in the first place but as Piercemen said he as a ghost cannot trick the System thus he cut the angelica cage from the moon cell and overtook the system with Chakravartin, Buddha's Noble Phantasm we always see in the sky.

While the Extella timeline doesnt exactly connect with regular extra. Because certain things are different. Nasu wrote a while ago a script on his blog called Extra/Extella Zero in which it is explained to why Hakuno knows both servants (Saber & Caster)
Its a timeline where he basiclly won against the Piercemen and things played out mostly the same with different details. He than ruled the moon cell as a basiclly data kingdom.
Meanwhile the Velber (Aliens yes indeed) attacked earth and all of humanity is dead. Their souls fleed to the moon cell which basiclly now has the rest of humanity in it stored.
And that`s where the whole Extella timeline comes into play.

The interesting thing is. If we go by Nasu`s comment about players being suprised at the end. My guess is it is either a new timeline outcome to give extra its last gloriius chapter aka truly its Last Encore. Or due Crono-Quantum-Time lock shenanigans it will lead into ExtellaZero.

So Nasu also said this is newcomer friendly. And i can say it is a ballant lie and if he tried to create it that way. Either he failed to do so or Shafts way of storytelling is screwing this over.
Cause as a fan of TYPE-MOON works in generall. You will miss a lot of details/context if you dont know stuff prior to this Anime.
Its really sad that Anime-only get this huge overload of puzzle pieces, fate-terms, flashback & character interaction that refer or indicate stuff from prior events of the game.
Its a shame that it is basiclly false advertised. As newcomers will be confused as fuck.
It doesnt help that a lot of timeline shenanigans are overall a thing in the Fateverse.

Either way if you enjoyed Apocrypha (somehow) than you will also enjoy Last Encore.
Tho to be fair. Extra was never much about fighting and more about the mystery of the character and what exaclty was/is going on in the moon cell.
Extella kinda evolved into a Dynasty Warriors gameplay thing but is still the same story wise. It focuses more on characters & interaction than battles itself.
Mar 22, 2018 7:26 AM

Aug 2016
MonoReaper said:

From what it seems like (I know about Extra/CCC/ExtraExtellaZero/and the rest of the Extella games on PS4)

While CCC is the new game+ from the good ending of Extra. (They basiclly used the amnesia shenanigans again & used characters + servants who didnt make it into the first extra for various reasons).

What?

CCC is no new game plus.It isn't even a true sequel plotwise.Did you actually play that game? or even checked its story properly?Because that's a seriously wrong interpretation of CCC.

CCC takes place after the fifth round of the original extra game in the near side of the moon (A place in moon cell for storing forbidden data,trash etc.) and after it ends the MC finds herself again at where she left off in the far side of the moon (the place where extra takes place).The game then time skips at the ending of the first game but instead of it being the tragic end for the MC,their servant chosen in CCC (or Sakura in CCC true route) actually saves them from the moon cell.Thus it provides an actual happy ending of sorts unlike the first game's ending.

Extella and Last Encore are different alternate sequels of sort.
Raytheon_ThunderMar 22, 2018 7:32 AM
Mar 22, 2018 8:19 AM

Dec 2014
Raytheon_Thunder said:
MonoReaper said:

While CCC is the new game+ from the good ending of Extra. (They basiclly used the amnesia shenanigans again & used characters + servants who didnt make it into the first extra for various reasons).

What?

CCC is no new game plus.It isn't even a true sequel plotwise.Did you actually play that game? or even checked its story properly?Because that's a seriously wrong interpretation of CCC.

CCC takes place after the fifth round of the original extra game in the near side of the moon (A place in moon cell for storing forbidden data,trash etc.) and after it ends the MC finds herself again at where she left off in the far side of the moon (the place where extra takes place).The game then time skips at the ending of the first game but instead of it being the tragic end for the MC,their servant chosen in CCC (or Sakura in CCC true route) actually saves them from the moon cell.Thus it provides an actual happy ending of sorts unlike the first game's ending.

Extella and Last Encore are different alternate sequels of sort.

(Well its kinda a dick move from you to spoil CCC stuff. As it is not really required for LastEncore & not even translated for the west. But i would rather appreciate if you could use a spoiler for it in your post cause after all we dont need more spoileroiler stuff for the anime-onlys and confuse them even more.)

Thats why i call it a new game+ addtional content after you played the regular game. CCC is like Heavenfeels to the original Fate visual novel. (Only a new game rather than a DLC)
That & because it is basiclly a what if Sakrua happend to develop like this aka played out like that meanwhile the original stuff happend. (Tho it has also several endings which branch the whole Extra timeline further and further cause all of them are cannon)

Well yeah while Extella is a entire "What if this and that happend in Extra" which leads to a whole new outcome. (It involves the Umbral Star and well the Velbar)
Last Encore still can lead in some form to Extella or ExtellaZero.
I am still curious to what Nasu meant with the big suprise for players and that we will enjoy that final conclusion.
I mean so far there are many references & hints.
And the fact that the Chrono-Quantum-Lock isnt working cause Pierceman cut of the Angelica Cage could play a huge role for the final EP of LastEncore. As i said prior to this in the EP8 Post and here.
Its wouldnt be the first time some timeline shenaigangs are going to happen to either branch a entire new timeline or somehow connect it to a existing timeline.
MonoReaperMar 22, 2018 8:25 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

120 by Remlz_77 »»
Aug 27, 12:14 AM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

136 by Shidoteki »»
Jul 8, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.